Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lumin U1

Re: Lumin U1

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    Please make sure your U1 is running latest firmware (7.09).

U1 should be used with Volume Control OFF - this will send DSD as DoP. (U1 only supports DoP format, not the newer native DSD over USB format.)

If U1 Volume Control is ON - U1 will convert DSD to PCM, because we cannot manipulate volume for DSD.

I tested U1 USB output to Esoteric N-05 USB input, with Volume Control ON and OFF, with CD and SACD (DSD64) versions of the same album, and a DSD128 music. In all tests I've done I've verified that left/right channels are correct as compared to Esoteric N-05 network input, as well as CD compared to SACD. The volume of CD vs SACD, from U1 with Volume Control OFF, is exactly the same from N-05 balanced output.
    Many thanks, wklie, for your quick reply. Have been out of town in the past few days and could only check the firmware of my U1 today. It is indeed the 7.09 version. In the circumstances, I shall get hold of another DAC to see if the Holo Spring and U1 is a mismatch.

For now U1 review in Polish, but English version should be available during next few days ...

Marcin

and English translation - Lumin U1 review

Marcin

We have had 2 firmware updates in the last couple of days. I can't find any news of what these updates fixed or offer new. Anyone know?
    thanks
    Larry
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Quote Originally Posted by Dguitarnut View Post
    We have had 2 firmware updates in the last couple of days. I can't find any news of what these updates fixed or offer new. Anyone know?
    http://www.luminmusic.com/firmware-notes.html

Version 8.02 (Mar 16, 2017)
    Enhancement and Fix:

Auto stop Roon playback in order to apply re-sampling setting changes.
    Other minor bug fix.

Version 8.01 (Mar 8, 2017)
    Enhancement and Fix:

Support Roon Ready, LUMIN works as Roon speaker.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

i got on the Lumin website and looked at the news and support page and missed the release notes. Thanks
    larry
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Usually the Firmware Release Notes page is shown when Lumin app prompts for a new firmware and the user chooses to view it.

I don't think it's accessible from the web support page. I'll discuss with related personnel and see whether this should be added. Thanks.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by ppnuts View Post
    when played with Volume Control Off, the files are output as straight DSD 64 or 128, with sound level dropped by several dbs and the left/right channels reversed.
    In case anybody experiences similar DSD left / right channel reverse problem, here is ppnuts' solution from hiendy forum dated 2017-1-17:

Just like to report that I have 'downgraded' my SingXer SU-1's firmware from ver2.02 to 2.00 without any hustle. DSDs through the Holo Spring now have their channels put right, i.e. left is left and right is right. Thanks to contributors here, especially clplarry. What remains on my wish list now is Jeff of Holo Spring releasing a firmware update boosting by 6db the output level of DSD files played thru his brainchild.

I would also like to share my experience in enhancing the sound quality of the Singxer plus Holo in a system involving the use of a streamer:

1. Cat. 7 ethernet cables must be used. This gives audible improvement in removing 'edginess' in the music.

2. Connect your music streamer and NAS to a switch and then to your router. This seems to be against the law of physics not to connect them directly to the router. But it must be heard to believe. With a Zyxel switch sitting between my streamer plus NAS and the router, every musical note becomes sharply focused, and the background stage definitely gets darker.

3. Where possible, replace the stock power supply of the switch and NAS with an LPS (linear power supply). Improvements obtained under 2 above are further enhanced.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hello
    I recently bought a Lumin U1 , and used the Analysis plus Oval cable in AES EBU , to be connected to the Chord DAVE
    Music is stored in a Melco N1A
    The Lumin U1 is connected to the Melco via RJ45
    I have in my set up
    Auralic Aries femto one
    Aurender N100 H

Well , the U1 does offer jaw breaking music
    It has been running continuously for about 24 hrs now .
    Firmware has been updated to the latest one

One question : is the PSU , the newly designed one , coming with the S1 (reviewed on 6 moons I think ? )
    I have read some pages (here and elsewhere) about Kenneth Lu PSU for Lumin
    What is the manufacturer's point of view ?
    I read that Peter didn't test the Kenneth Lau PSU ..but is it a real upgrade or just a hifi geek perception (LOL)

Cheers

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Zaheer View Post
    Hello
    I recently bought a Lumin U1 , and used the Analysis plus Oval cable in AES EBU , to be connected to the Chord DAVE
    Music is stored in a Melco N1A
    The Lumin U1 is connected to the Melco via RJ45
    I have in my set up
    Auralic Aries femto one
    Aurender N100 H

Well , the U1 does offer jaw breaking music
    It has been running continuously for about 24 hrs now .
    Firmware has been updated to the latest one

One question : is the PSU , the newly designed one , coming with the S1 (reviewed on 6 moons I think ? )
    I have read some pages (here and elsewhere) about Kenneth Lu PSU for Lumin
    What is the manufacturer's point of view ?
    I read that Peter didn't test the Kenneth Lau PSU ..but is it a real upgrade or just a hifi geek perception (LOL)

Cheers
    How would you compare the U1 to N100H?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

hello Mike
    For the sake of not spoiling the thread , I'll post the comparison on the comparison thread with melco etc ..
    Cheers

Audioshark

hello Mike
    For the sake of not spoiling the thread , I'll post the comparison on the comparison thread with melco etc ..
    Cheers
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

is the PSU , the newly designed one , coming with the S1 (reviewed on 6 moons I think ? )
    Lumin U1 comes with the same power supply as S1.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hello
    2 thoughts about the Lumin U1
    1. I have connected the Melco N1A to the Lumin directly , and listened to music , the ipad using the Lumin app
    2. Then I installed ROON on a CAPS server , LPS powered , Roon has been configured to Watch the "share" folder on the Melco .. Roon app to send music

Well , Roon doesn't deliver as clear music as the Melco+ Lumin alone .. is it expected ? Is it weird

Another thought : Is it interesting to use a balanced conditioner for mains , to yield to soem extra , better sound from the Lumin and Melco ?

Thanks

Hello
    2 thoughts about the Lumin U1
    1. I have connected the Melco N1A to the Lumin directly , and listened to music , the ipad using the Lumin app
    2. Then I installed ROON on a CAPS server , LPS powered , Roon has been configured to Watch the "share" folder on the Melco .. Roon app to send music

Well , Roon doesn't deliver as clear music as the Melco+ Lumin alone .. is it expected ? Is it weird

Another thought : Is it interesting to use a balanced conditioner for mains , to yield to soem extra , better sound from the Lumin and Melco ?

Thanks
    Do you have installed in your CAP, complete Roon, or Roon Server?
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

Hello
    I downloaded Roon , to be used with Windows 10
    Bought the annual payment scheme
    So : honestly , I just installed Roon fore Windows
    I'll check tomorrow which version it was
    Cheers

Does the U1 do native DSD?

Yes, U1 will output Native DSD when connected to most XMOS-based USB Native DSD DAC, Esoteric K-0*x, and for those USB DAC supported by the xmos-native-dsd project, excluding those that use the Amanero USB module.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Thank you.

Does the Lumin U1 110v power supply have have the option to change to 230v? Or do you have to get a different power supply? Can you use the same U1?

Lumin external 110V and 220V power supplies for U1 / S1 / A1 / T1 do not have a switch to select voltage - they use different components.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Firmware 10.2 on Lumin U1 improves DSD to PCM conversion and PCM downsampling.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Sharing my U1 experience.....
    After 500 plus hours usage .....I am feeling a distinct difference in bass reproduction...it sounds much deeper now.
    Primary Setup.
    Lumin U1.
    Ayon Audio Stratos reference DAC Pre.
    Line Magnetic 503 PA Monoblocks.
    Pure Audio Project Voxativ Trio 15 OB spkrs.

I've been told that that Chord Japan web site actually lists Lumin U1 as certified compatible with Chord DAVE:
    https://www.chordelectronics.jp/prod...al-range/dave/
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Lumin U1 and X1 Firmware 11 now support playback of DSD256 music to Chord DAVE via USB using DoP256 format. Since we don't actually have a Chord DAC to test with, feedback is much appreciated.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Thank you for the update. Even I am curious to know the feedback.
    Primary Setup.
    Lumin U1.
    Ayon Audio Stratos reference DAC Pre.
    Line Magnetic 503 PA Monoblocks.
    Pure Audio Project Voxativ Trio 15 OB spkrs.

Hello
    I'd be happy to test
    Where can I buy some DSD tracks ?
    Cheers

Hello
    I'd be happy to test
    Where can I buy some DSD tracks ?
    Cheers
    Zaheer - NativeDSD is a solid source for DSD downloads. You can easily see which resolutions they have available for each selection. Acoustic Sounds also has some good titles available.

thanks

I have been using my Lumin U1 connected via USB to a PS Audio DirectStream DAC without a problem. This morning I decided I wanted to try using the Lumin U1 with the PS Audio DAC's AES/EBU connection using a Transparent Reference Digital XLR cable. The DAC doesn't recognize the Lumin on this connection (icon on the DAC is RED). If I use the same digital cable with an Aurender N10 to the AES/EBU port on the PS Audio DAC it works perfectly. Going back to the USB cable on the U1 also works perfectly. Any hints on what I can do to use the Lumin's AES/EBU output to the PS Audio DAC?
    MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp, SST Son of Ampzilla II Amp, PS Audio Directstream DAC w/Bridge II, PS Audio Directstream Memory Player, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, ELAC 3070 Sub, Roon Nucleus w/8TB SSD storage

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - HiFi Rose RS250, KEF LS50W Nocturne Speakers

In Lumin app:
    - Please make sure Re-Sampling is OFF, not Custom.
    - Please use Lumin app to turn the AES output OFF, then ON.

If it still does not work, please try RCA (regular SPDIF) output and see if it works or not.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Thanks Peter. I forgot there was an on/off setting for the AES output. All good now
    MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp, SST Son of Ampzilla II Amp, PS Audio Directstream DAC w/Bridge II, PS Audio Directstream Memory Player, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, ELAC 3070 Sub, Roon Nucleus w/8TB SSD storage

My U1, for three months, seems to fade easily.
    Attached Images Attached Images

我的U1三个月似乎很容易褪色。

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by jackyan View Post
    My U1, for three months, seems to fade easily.
    That's unexpected. Our demo units in use since 2012 do not exhibit this issue.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

有什么好办法我自己可以修复呢?谢谢

Super Moderator

有什么好办法我自己可以修复呢?谢谢

Is there any good way I can fix it myself? Thank you
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

有什么好办法我自己可以修复呢?谢谢
    To repair this paint issue, repairing cost and shipping cost may be involved as the warranty covers functionality only. Please send e-mail to info@luminmusic.com if you would like to discuss this with us further.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

谢谢wklie的快速回复。我会考虑你的邮件连接。

谢谢wklie的快速回复。我会考虑你的邮件连接。
    Translation: Thanks. Will consider e-mail.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

I've been told that that Chord Japan web site actually lists Lumin U1 as certified compatible with Chord DAVE:
    https://www.chordelectronics.jp/prod...al-range/dave/
    I regret I did not make a screen capture. Lumin is now removed from Chord web site, because of Poly?
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

I regret I did not make a screen capture. Lumin is now removed from Chord web site, because of Poly?
    Peter - Not clear on exactly what you wanted to capture, but you may be able to find a cached copy of the desired page using the Internet Archive Wayback Machine.

Thanks audio.bill, this archive shows Lumin U1 was previously certified compatible by Chord:

Comparing this archived web page with the current web page, not only Lumin U1 is removed, but HQPlayer and Hysolid are removed as well. I guess I can understand why Lumin U1 is removed, but I'm a little surprised even some software is removed. The Hysolid "Turn your PC into a network player" software, and HQPlayer too - perhaps the latter coincided the functionality of Hugo M Scaler?

Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

New review of Lumin U1 by AudiophileStyle:
    https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/revie...t-review-r775/
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Is it OK to connect the Lumin U1 USB output and the AES/EBU connection at the same time to a DAC? I want to do A/B testing to see which sounds better. Can I leave them connected for an extended time without negative repercussions?

For A/B testing, it is best to disconnect USB if a non-USB connection is to be evaluated for SQ. Depends on the DAC hardware, the presence of a USB connection (even if not used) can potentially negatively affect the SQ of a non-USB input of the DAC.

For a short duration, simultaneous connection of the U1 (MINI) USB output and one or more non-USB outputs may not result in abnormal playback. If a USB output is connected it becomes the primary output and is usually asynchronous. The non-USB outputs are synchronous. For an extended time the playback to non-USB outputs may not be correct due to timing differences from USB.

If USB output is not used, all four non-USB outputs of U1 (MINI) can be simultaneously connected.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

When trying to set up a new to me U1 I get "Network Error" on the screen and the U1 is not seen by the Lumin iPad app nor by Roon. The U1 is connected by ethernet to a local switch then to a router.
    My music files are on a Qnap NAS running minim-server that I just installed. The Lumin app and the minim-server communicated and loaded all my music to the app. Is there a reset process for the U1?

I just finished power cycling everything in the network from the modem, router, switch and U1 as well as swapping ethernet cables and ports on the local switch including known working ethernet ports and wires and still get "network error" on the screen. Tried unplugging the U1 Power supply and switching the usb connection to the dac on the U1 from usb1 to usb2.
    Any help appreciated.

Ok, the Lumin U1 is working now!

I ran a 25 foot ethernet cable from another switch in another room to the U1 and it works fine so there is something going on with the switch at my audio rack. Interestingly, before I did that I did put the Lumin U1 in the place of another working device at my audio rack switch (my dac) using it's working ethernet cable and the Lumin was still not working.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Lumin U1