Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lumin U1

Super Moderator

Re: Lumin U1

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by stax View Post
    Ok, the Lumin U1 is working now!

I ran a 25 foot ethernet cable from another switch in another room to the U1 and it works fine so there is something going on with the switch at my audio rack. Interestingly, before I did that I did put the Lumin U1 in the place of another working device at my audio rack switch (my dac) using it's working ethernet cable and the Lumin was still not working.

Welcome to the forum. I had my house prewired (including Ethernet) and I have upgraded Ethernet cables going from the router (in my office) and then from the jack in back of my U1. If I move things around (e.g. dust), sometimes the connection to the wall jack will become slightly loose and I get the 'Network Error' message too.
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Hi, wonder if someone can help me with this problem. I brought a chord Dave home for audition. I am unable to stream music with the USB connected to the Dave through my U1. I have tried everything possible including keeping the lumin unsampling off but just can’t get the Dave to play in the DAC mode

any compatibility issues that I am not aware of or am I doing something incorrectly. Grateful for some help

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Sujay View Post
    Hi, wonder if someone can help me with this problem. I brought a chord Dave home for audition. I am unable to stream music with the USB connected to the Dave through my U1. I have tried everything possible including keeping the lumin unsampling off but just can’t get the Dave to play in the DAC mode

any compatibility issues that I am not aware of or am I doing something incorrectly. Grateful for some help
    Nope. We use that setup in the store all the time. Make sure the DAVE is set to USB input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Nope. We use that setup in the store all the time. Make sure the DAVE is set to USB input.

I did. I cycled a couple of times to ensure it’s on USB. It shows as USB 768khz on the left hand top corner as per display1. But no music. Not sure if there is some setting in the Lumin U1 I am missing.

Audioshark

I did. I cycled a couple of times to ensure it’s on USB. It shows as USB 768khz on the left hand top corner as per display1. But no music. Not sure if there is some setting in the Lumin U1 I am missing.
    You shouldn’t be on 768hz unless you have the M-Scaler or Blu2

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Absolutely right! But it displays exactly that. There is no problem when I revert to my original DAC though. Strange!

Please power cycle both Lumin and Chord, try different cables, try different ports.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    Please power cycle both Lumin and Chord, try different cables, try different ports.
    Will, do. Thanks!

Hi,

I pulled the trigger on the upgraded power supply for my U1. It’s now been about a month and it is fully run in. In short, the upgrade is unbelievable- honest to God I had not idea a power supply upgrade will throw such results. I can clearly hear more information, with a better soundstage which is separated incredibly well. And oh the bass! The delineation of the bass lines is uncanny! Anyway, I will stop here as it’s beginning to get too hyperbolic lest people should wonder whether I am being sincere. But yes, truly special imo.

i would recommend anyone sitting on the fence to take the plunge. Though expensive, it’s worth it

cheers

sujay

Sujai,
    Which LPSU do you use?

Hi, I should have mentioned....I upgraded to the new lumin X1 power supply which is available as an upgrade for U1 users as well

Hi, I should have mentioned....I upgraded to the new lumin X1 power supply which is available as an upgrade for U1 users as well
    Hi, could you tell me what difference you noticed by changing the font, if there is a difference. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andik777 View Post
    Hi, could you tell me what difference you noticed by changing the font, if there is a difference. Thank you.
    Changing the Font? I guess you mean changing the power supply? Yes if so, my impressions are there in my previous post (#110). Clearly I could hear more detail, better bass delineation and soundstage width and specificity. I presume it’s all to do with lowering the noise floor even further.

Changing the Font? I guess you mean changing the power supply? Yes if so, my impressions are there in my previous post (#110). Clearly I could hear more detail, better bass delineation and soundstage width and specificity. I presume it’s all to do with lowering the noise floor even further.

Yes, I was referring to the power supply. Thank you very much for the reply.

Can I ask the price of the X1 power supply? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by stax View Post
    Can I ask the price of the X1 power supply? Thanks.
    Believe it is $2k but not sure.
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

I recently bought a Lumin U1. Does anyone have experience with testing different cabling and cables (brands) between the streamer and Devialet 250 Expert Pro? I've read the balanced cabling could be preferred, but my DAC (Devialet) doesn't support DSD over AES/EBU. I believe RCA/coax OR USB would be the option for me. I really appreciate your opinions and comments.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Devialet Firmware 8.1.0 manual states that the "entire Expert range" supports DoP over USB, XLR, toslink and SPDIF. Since Lumin also supports DoP on all outputs, playback of DSD music should be ok regardless of which connection type you use.

Please try both AES and USB for 44.1kHz music and see which sounds better to you. Note that these must not be connected simultaneously.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Thanks for quick update, @wklie! I totally agree with you, Devialet should be ok with DSD regardless of with connection. But; when reading the specs of 250 Pro Expert on Devialet's own site, the following comes up:
    SUPPORTED FORMATS

Up to 32bits / 192kHz PCM (USB)
    Up to 24bits / 192kHz PCM (AIR®, UPnP, AES/EBU, Coaxial)
    Up to 24bits / 96kHz PCM (Optical)
    Up to 1bit / 3.072000MHz DSD64 (USB, Coaxial)

That was the main reason for my questions

These are almost contradictory, but I'd believe the text. Please test AES and let me know.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Today, I got confirmation from Devialet support. You're absolutely right, of course, @wklie "Our AES/EBU input indeed supports DoP streams".

I just have to buy an AES cable and test Let you know how it goes.
    These are almost contradictory, but I'd believe the text. Please test AES and let me know.

@wklie,
    My Lumin U1 is now connected to my Devialet with a Weiss AES/EBU cable, playing DSD. The Devialet shows DSD64 in its display. Soundquality seems to be great.

Great! Please burn in the Lumin with repeat playback of playlist 7x24. Then you can compare AES against USB. When using AES or other SPDIF outputs, USB must be disconnected first.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

I have now teste back and forward, changing between Weiss AES/Heimdall2 USB/Synergistic Research Galileo USB, always disconnecting the USB when listening with AES. The AES always sounds better than USB in my setup, with more transparency, dynamic and more defined bass.

Thanks for all your help regarding this matter, @wklie!

I think to improve the performance of Lumin U1 and replace the power supply. My choice of Paul Hynes SR5 or Clones Audio Power Station Deluxe. Does anyone have any comparison experience or any thoughts?

Please consider the official X1 power supply upgrade for U1.

If you wish to have someone custom make a LPS for you, please note the special DC connector.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Yes, I know it's a good LPSU, but its price matches the SR7. And I couldn't find reviews comparing to Clones and Paul Hynes.

Hi All.
    Here is how Lumin App looks
    after the upgrade to Android 10 of my Nokia 9 . Any idea?
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you wish to have someone custom make a LPS for you, please note the special DC connector.
    What is the list price for the X1 power supply upgrade ?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by power View Post
    What is the list price for the X1 power supply upgrade ?
    You would have to ask the Italian dealer/distributor.

Hi Peter, new to this forum and considering the U1 as my transport streamer. Reading the threads with the X1 PSU upgrade as a significant improvement, can’t Lumin offer the optional PSU upgrade at purchase so that the purchaser won’t have an extra PSU on hand and perhaps a price reduction for the trade in?

Thanks
    Andre

Hi,
    I have a question, I have a U1 connected to EMM Lab dac versus usb cable, and xlr cable connected from emm dac to new active speaker since there is no volume control on the EMM dac.
    Can I use the U1 for volume control? if yes what setting should I use?
    Thanks

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by TheGiant View Post
    Hi Peter, new to this forum and considering the U1 as my transport streamer. Reading the threads with the X1 PSU upgrade as a significant improvement, can’t Lumin offer the optional PSU upgrade at purchase so that the purchaser won’t have an extra PSU on hand and perhaps a price reduction for the trade in?

Thanks
    Andre

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thank you Joe, been joining this forum for 3 years but never post only do reading and research.

Super Moderator

So happy you finally spoke up Andre! Thank you.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by goone55 View Post
    I have a question, I have a U1 connected to EMM Lab dac versus usb cable, and xlr cable connected from emm dac to new active speaker since there is no volume control on the EMM dac.
    Can I use the U1 for volume control? if yes what setting should I use?
    Thanks
    Yes.

Enable Volume Control and Leedh Processing Volume in Lumin app for U1.

Turn down the volume before playback.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Thank you Peter, I will give it a try

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Lumin U1