Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Audioshark

CES 2016 (Audio) Wish List

The kick off to CES 2016 is two weeks away today. As usual, all the big names in hi end audio will be at the Venetian.

I expect we will see some pretty big announcements.

What's are your CES 2016 wish list (audio)?

Mine are...

Revel Salon 3
    McIntosh updates the 2301's and uses KT150's!
    MQA Announcements and Updates
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: CES 2016 (Audio) Wish List

Hmmm.... I don't have one ... Weird...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The kick off to CES 2016 is two weeks away today. As usual, all the big names in hi end audio will be at the Venetian.

I expect we will see some pretty big announcements.

What's are your CES 2016 wish list (audio)?

Mine are...

Revel Salon 3
    McIntosh updates the 2301's and uses KT150's!
    MQA Announcements and Updates
    Hi Mike,

Your Item #1 would be cool but don't hold your breath. I've spoken to Revel several times in the last few months (I have a friend who is in the market for a pair of new Revels) and they said they are focused on bringing other new models to market. No Salon 3 or Studio 3 are in the works. So unless they are lying to me, you'll see no Salon 3 at CES 2016.

My friend and I did a head-to-head comparison of Revel's Studio 2 and F208 the other day at a local audio store. Both speakers were compared in an identical setup on an all Mark Levinson and MIT cabled system. We both preferred the F208 (a much newer model I might add) over the Studio 2 by a considerable margin. The F208 sounded more musical and had a smoother and more cohesive midrange and treble. The Studio 2 were a little more transparent and had a little tighter bass but their treble presentation was bright and their beryllium tweeter was not at all seamless with their midrange (even with the tweeter fully attenuated) compared to the F208's tweeter and midrange. I was really surprised by how great a speaker the F208's are and also by how far the Studio 2's performance was below the Salon 2's (not even in the ballpark).

Sorry to get off track from your original posting, Mike.

Happy Holidays,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Super Moderator

Wow Ken, I am surprised by your findings but admit that I've never heard them side by side.

I would have to believe Revel would be super quiet on the replacement speaker. They all keep it close to the vest so as not to kill sales of current gear. That's my belief.

I hope nothing new shows up, that'll make me feel better about my gear
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Wow Ken, I am surprised by your findings but admit that I've never heard them side by side.

I would have to believe Revel would be super quiet on the replacement speaker. They all keep it close to the vest so as not to kill sales of current gear. That's my belief.

I hope nothing new shows up, that'll make me feel better about my gear
    My friend and I didn't say a word to each other while we were listening, so as to not bias each other. But after the comparison was finished we told each other that the Studio 2 was a definite no go, while we were impressed as heck with the F208. There was one song (Ella Fitzgerald - Solitude), which is one of my favorite auditioning songs for tonal purity. The F208 was nearly identical to the Salon 2 in sound quality on this particular song.

Ken
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Focal Sopra 3
    Wilson Sophia 4
    Buddy

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
    Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
    Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
    MSB Reference DAC
    Innuos Statement w/Next. Gen. PS
    B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
    Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
    Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
    VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
    Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
    Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
    Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
    Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
    Shunyata Cables
    Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Ethernet Switch UEF, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Audio 1 View Post
    Focal Sopra 3
    Wilson Sophia 4
    There will never be a Wilson Sophia 4.

Audioshark

Ken - interesting comments. I heard the F208 against the Salon 2 and felt the Salon 2 was much better - especially that tweeter.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Ken - interesting comments. I heard the F208 against the Salon 2 and felt the Salon 2 was much better - especially that tweeter.

Hi Mike,

Overall the Salon 2 is significantly better than the F208. I was commenting on one particular song, which I've listened to a hundred times on the Salon 2, the F208 actually sounded very similar. On other material the Salon 2 is above and beyond the F208. However, in my opinion, the Studio 2 is a different story. My friend and I did a direct comparison of the Studio 2 and F208 on numerous songs of different genre and we both preferred the F208 on every song. I commented to the dealer that I thought something might be wrong with the Studio 2 but he insisted they were fine. It looks like my friend will be purchasing the F208.

Best,
    Ken

How about new Lumin gear? And, I would expect that Caelin should be announcing soon a "sigma" series interconnects and speaker cables. Also, maybe we'll learn some more about the Wilson Alexx and the DAG Mono 400s.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

A standalone Lumin network bridge (minus DAC) to compete with the Aurender N10.

Plus, in view of the warm reception to the M1, a higher end version with A1/S1 casing and linear power supply.

I would like to see McIntosh produce a new version of the MEN220, perhaps the MEN222. I want it to include state of the art A/D and D/A convertors, keep all the existing features of the MEN220 with the exception of the Bypass. I want a true analog Bypass, not just the Room Perfect Bypass as it is presently configured. I really like what Room Perfect does but the digital convertors need to be refreshed.

Come on McIntosh, it's time.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

NEW ARC Phono stage

Caribbean Distributor of
    ARC / Sonus Faber / Wadia / Wilson / VAC / Soulution / Nordost / Shunyata / Stillpoints
    Kuzma / Focal / Resonessence Labs / ARIA / KRELL / Pro-Ject...

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    And, I would expect that Caelin should be announcing soon a "sigma" series interconnects and speaker cables.
    Great. It never stops. I wonder just what trick they will pull out of the hat to better the Zitron Analog series?
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Revel Salon 2 replacement, maybe they're going to call it something else because they keep denying it's in the works.

I simply don't believe them. I'm sure they've been doing a lot of R&D for a long time.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Revel Salon 2 replacement, maybe they're going to call it something else because they keep denying it's in the works.

I simply don't believe them. I'm sure they've been doing a lot of R&D for a long time.

My CES 2016 wish list is that there is NO Salon 2 replacement. I'm just not ready for that.

McIntosh D1150 top shelf DAC
    I also like Dan's MEN222 idea/specs CES 2016 (Audio) Wish List

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BruceLet View Post
    My CES 2016 wish list is that there is NO Salon 2 replacement. I'm just not ready for that.
    Ha!

Me too, I'd go crazy
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I'd like to see McIntosh be more innovative too and not just waiting for new OEM tech to come along for them to re-power and re-badge.

Speakeasy

I wish audio gear prices be lowered without compromising on quality...raw materials and components prices have dropped and hope this filters into the end product pricing.
    Amps 3X Brystons 14B ST Amps
    Pre amp Bryston BP26/MPS2
    Electronic Crossover 2X Bryston 10B-LR
    Speakers PMC MB2/XBD Active
    Transport/DAC CH Precision D1 and C1 DAC
    Video Oppo BDP105
    Power cords - Shunyata Sigma HC and Sigma Analogue, Gryphon VIP Reference, Oyaide Tunami.
    Speaker cables Inakustik Air LS 2404
    Interconnects - XLR Gryphon VIP Reference
    Furutech NCF Booster Signals
    Others TAOC footers and Solidsteel Racks
    ========================
    1M dB Audio

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post

Hi Mark,

I'm hoping they hold onto the Salon 2 for a little longer. Hard to improve on this tremendous design. I love the cabinet, the titanium drivers and their beryllium tweeter. Maybe a diamond coating on the beryllium dome and some upgraded crossover parts. I wouldn't want them to change much. I bet you're in heaven with them!

Best,
    Ken

EMM Labs DAC2 replacement (very likely).

Magico S3 upgrade with the new tweeter, midrange and bass goodies (very unlikely).

Ayre 5 series DAC (very much like).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

I wish Ayre would release a new mono amplifier at a lower price point than the MX-R Twenty. Something based on the VX-5 Twenty would be nice.
    Rick

Ayre MX-R Focal Diablo Utopia III REL S/2 (x2) emm Labs PRE2, DAC2X Aurender N10 Shunyata Triton/Typhon, Zitron Python, Zitron Alpha HC, Zitron Alpha Digital and Zitron Alpha Analog PC's Siltech Royal Signature Prince SC's, Royal Signature Princess IC's, Royal Signature Golden Ridge II AES/EBU Quadraspire Q4L Rack

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post

It looks like my friend will be purchasing the F208.

Best,
    Ken
    Price can make a speaker sound better than others.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team