Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

USB Cable: Does it make any difference ?

Currently, I'm using the Frutech USB Pro cable and thinking to upgrade them. Do they make a huge difference in sounds quality?

If so what is the best cable you have/had so far?

The Audience, WW and Audioquest Diamond are on my list.

Thanks
    Paul

Re: USB Cable: Does it make any difference ?

It does, in my experience. The best I tried, and now use systematically for shows, is this: artisansilvercables.com/ussusb-double.htm

Great value too.
    Manufacturer of
    ICOS Audio, complete active systems, amplifiers, DACs and CD-players

Importer of
    Antipodes Audio music servers and cables

In our Paris showroom, music lovers are welcome to experience the multi-awarded Dedicace, a five-way active system equipped with:
    - Antipodes DX music server
    - Antipodes Audio Kokiri AES cable, Reference InterConnect (2x) and Komako speakers (2.5 pairs)
    - Legato Power Cables (3x)

They most certainly do. I've tried a few different cables. Sometimes the difference is very recognizable and sometimes it's very subtle. The best I've heard so far was the Wireworld Platinum Starlight. Of course, YMMV.
    Doug

Though I use AES exclusively now, I've found bigger differences between USB cables more than any other types of cables, except maybe for power cords. I highly endorse Wireworld Platinum USB.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Paul.....In case you are Curious!

http://www.curiouscables.com/media-reviews.html
    Rick

Ayre MX-R Focal Diablo Utopia III REL S/2 (x2) emm Labs PRE2, DAC2X Aurender N10 Shunyata Triton/Typhon, Zitron Python, Zitron Alpha HC, Zitron Alpha Digital and Zitron Alpha Analog PC's Siltech Royal Signature Prince SC's, Royal Signature Princess IC's, Royal Signature Golden Ridge II AES/EBU Quadraspire Q4L Rack

Here is an excerpt from a recent (last week) Quarter Notes newsletter I send to Get Better Sound owners. The previous (and expensive) USB cable I had been using was the Light Harmonic split LightSpeed:

Curious cable – including 200MM Curious REGEN jumper

I tried out the Curious USB cable that everyone has been discussing. I found that it continued along the path of less mechanical sound and more musical involvement. While it isn’t exactly cheap, it handily outperformed the far more expensive USB cable that I had been using, in all of the ways that I value musically. I also picked up the special 200mm cable for the REGEN that I mentioned in the last QNs to replace the hard adaptor supplied by Uptone Audio. Another nice improvement! You can pick one up yourself at http://www.curiouscables.com.
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Quote Originally Posted by RLL1 View Post
    Paul.....In case you are Curious!

http://www.curiouscables.com/media-reviews.html
    I'm curious for sure. did you get your cable straight from them ? Any problem with shipping ?
    Paul

Hey... speaking of Curious Cables... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taI0OOZiRDE

Banned

Does the 200mm Curious USB cable for the REGEN outperform the hard adaptor?

Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    Does the 200mm Curious USB cable for the REGEN outperform the hard adaptor?

Yes.
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I'm curious for sure. did you get your cable straight from them ? Any problem with shipping ?
    Yes Paul, I ordered it directly from them. It took 9 day to make its way from Australia, arriving yesterday. I'm going to burn it in for 50 or so hours before I do some A/B testing with my AES/EBU cable.
    Rick

Ayre MX-R Focal Diablo Utopia III REL S/2 (x2) emm Labs PRE2, DAC2X Aurender N10 Shunyata Triton/Typhon, Zitron Python, Zitron Alpha HC, Zitron Alpha Digital and Zitron Alpha Analog PC's Siltech Royal Signature Prince SC's, Royal Signature Princess IC's, Royal Signature Golden Ridge II AES/EBU Quadraspire Q4L Rack

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
    Yes.
    I just my REGEN yesterday, if it makes an improvement in my system, I'll give the Curious USB cable a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Hey... speaking of Curious Cables... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taI0OOZiRDE
    Hi Sean, I'm at work can't watch the whole video yet. However I heard briefly you were mentioned about the Audioquest cable. Which model was it ? I'm very interested in their Diamond series. I heard them on Aurender N10 with PS Audio DAC and sounded wonderful.
    Paul

A very timely post for me to read as I have been thinking about some USB cable experimenting.
    I currently use the Telleruim Q Blue cable and it does get very good reviews. Lately i have bought some GIK acoustic room treatments to help with the brightness in my system. They have worked. So this has got me thinking that maybe a different USB cable may also help. I was looking at the two mentioned here, the silver artisan and the Curious cable to try with my Melco and Devialet set up
    Devialet 200
    Melco N1A
    Sonus Faber Olympica 2

Auralic Taurus MK2 Headphone amp
    Hifiman HE1000 Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by RLL1 View Post
    Yes Paul, I ordered it directly from them. It took 9 day to make its way from Australia, arriving yesterday. I'm going to burn it in for 50 or so hours before I do some A/B testing with my AES/EBU cable.
    Thanks Rick, Let us know how you like them after break in.
    Paul

Hey Paul - The AQ cable I mentioned was the 'Carbon' - which is significantly more affordable than the Diamond. However, I believe there is at least one reviewer who compared the Curious to the AQ Diamond - and ended up preferring the former by quite a wide margin.

I noticed a difference between external hard drive and media player by adding a Kimber silver USB cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
    Here is an excerpt from a recent (last week) Quarter Notes newsletter I send to Get Better Sound owners. The previous (and expensive) USB cable I had been using was the Light Harmonic split LightSpeed:

Curious cable – including 200MM Curious REGEN jumper

I tried out the Curious USB cable that everyone has been discussing. I found that it continued along the path of less mechanical sound and more musical involvement. While it isn’t exactly cheap, it handily outperformed the far more expensive USB cable that I had been using, in all of the ways that I value musically. I also picked up the special 200mm cable for the REGEN that I mentioned in the last QNs to replace the hard adaptor supplied by Uptone Audio. Another nice improvement! You can pick one up yourself at http://www.curiouscables.com.
    Hi Jim,

I question if the Curious cable offers any material improvement over other similarly designed solid silver USB cables such as the Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7? Other than the separation of the copper power cable from the main silver cable, I see very little difference from a design standpoint. Has anyone A-B'd the Curious and WW Platinum 7 USB cables?

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

I'm VERY happy with my WW Platinum 7 USB cable performance!
    George
    -----------------------

Aurender ACS10 Music Server > Holo Audio May KTE R2R Ladder DAC > Pass Labs XP-30 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Renaissance ELS 15A Speakers