Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

Avantgarde Uno or Klipsch Jubilee ? …..

What do you guys say?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joeinid; December 7, 2015 at 06:42 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: Avantgarde Uno or Klipsch Jubilee ? …..

Harbeth !

I will go with the Avantgarde Uno
    Paul

Spatial

Avantgarde Uno of those two, but hear them first.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Audioshark

You have to ask?

Uno XD. The Klipsch I'm sure is nice, but will most likely suffer old horn "issues".
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

It all depends on what you're after. If you want to jam the f*** out and/or recreate the sensation of sitting a few feet away from a screaming electric guitar, then those giant Klipsch speakers will outpace the Avantagarde's everytime. If however, you'd like to get a hint of that same 'front row' experience, only with a whole lot more refinement and 'accuracy', then yep.. the Unos are the ones.

I'll cheat my answer by saying: I wouldn't mind either.

Super Moderator

Love this response.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    It all depends on what you're after. If you want to jam the f*** out and/or recreate the sensation of sitting a few feet away from a screaming electric guitar, then those giant Klipsch speakers will outpace the Avantagarde's everytime. If however, you'd like to get a hint of that same 'front row' experience, only with a whole lot more refinement and 'accuracy', then yep.. the Unos are the ones.

I'll cheat my answer by saying: I wouldn't mind either.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe, a good friend of mine says the Avantgarde's are absolutely amazing and this guy has had some fantastic speakers in and out of his system. I would think they're more your type of speaker. BTW, this "friend" is a dealer too. Can you say "bro deal?"
    Doug

Super Moderator

DOUG !!!!!

Missed you.

It's still gonna cost me a bundle. Ain't no free lunch.

NAD C 658 streamer.

For Dynamics, the Klipsch could give the UNOs a battle, IF the UNOs are not dialed in. For Presence & Tone, the UNOs. Since musical engagement needs all 3 with high end audio, I would take the UNOs.

However, I admit to no small amount of prejudice...
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

UNO XD

With the new XD software, you should get better integration with the bass - DSP based 10-band equalisation for the bass. Plus, there will be a mike based DRC (but only for the woofer) in Q1 2016. Same tweeter as the DUO XD/Mezzo and the midrange driver uses the same "soft-mesh compound" dome like the DUO XD/Mezzo.

Btw, the new UNO XD no longer resembles the UNO G2 posted above. See attached (more attractive, if you like wood veneers, and like an expanded UNO FINO):
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like the new cabinet even better. Very nice.
    Doug

Uno's
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Avantgardes!!!!
    Last edited by MDP; December 8, 2015 at 01:45 PM.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

I'm ignoring my own opinion on the looks of both of those things. Sound is all that matters. I don't know which is which just by the pics. Even though they have been around a very long time, I did not know that Klipsch made anything but mediocre speakers at best these days, available in any Best Buy. I'll take education any way it comes, I learned something new today.

What are you looking at those monstrosities for? (They look like they will damage your hearing. You could rent out the horns on those big square ones as small apartments). I thought you were a Harbeth guy straight up Joe?

To be fair. I don't think any one of us hear/seen the proper set up of Klipsch Jubilee in right room. One of my overseas friend has them and he said " nothing can touch his speakers with his silbatone gear " well, one day I would love to hear them in person.
    Paul

Wow, that's the first that I have heard of someone using Silbatone. Which Silbatone amp is your friend using?

I heard the AG Uno Fino driven by a Silbatone JI-300 Mk III (8w WE 300B) and Silbatone DAC-105. Truly sublime but then again so is the price - >$30k for the amp alone.

Quote Originally Posted by nfnc View Post
    Wow, that's the first that I have heard of someone using Silbatone. Which Silbatone amp is your friend using?

I heard the AG Uno Fino driven by a Silbatone JI-300 Mk III (8w WE 300B) and Silbatone DAC-105. Truly sublime but then again so is the price - >$30k for the amp alone.
    He has a 300B mono amps I believe.

Here is the thread I started about the Silbatone and Jubilee but didn't get much attention

Silbatone Acoustics

Klipsch KPT-Jubilee 535 Speakers
    Paul

Super Moderator

Eric,

Sure I may like expensive gear (I am not a snob) but Klipsch can play well above their price point. I had several Klipsch speakers and the last pair were Cornwall III's, they were wonderful. With a sweet tube amp, holy cow, amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicDirector View Post
    I'm ignoring my own opinion on the looks of both of those things. Sound is all that matters. I don't know which is which just by the pics. Even though they have been around a very long time, I did not know that Klipsch made anything but mediocre speakers at best these days, available in any Best Buy. I'll take education any way it comes, I learned something new today.

What are you looking at those monstrosities for? (They look like they will damage your hearing. You could rent out the horns on those big square ones as small apartments). I thought you were a Harbeth guy straight up Joe?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Eric,

Sure I may like expensive gear (I am not a snob) but Klipsch can play well above their price point. I had several Klipsch speakers and the last pair were Cornwall III's, they were wonderful. With a sweet tube amp, holy cow, amazing.
    What they cost was not what I was wondering about. (Oh, and "snob" is not even within a thousand miles of your lexicon Joe, geez)! I was just unaware that Klipsch made such things these days and was just wondering because I know your love for Harbeths. I just love the way intonation is never translated in writing no matter how hard one tries. (sarcasm).

Super Moderator

Sorry, I did take it in the best possible way. My post came off poorly. I apologize.

The more I look, the more I find. Oh man, it's mind boggling.

I do love Harbeth, but I have my Strads and rather than get something more similar, I thought I'd go a little crazy

I am getting the feeling (without hearing these speaker) that the Avantgarde are more refined while the Klipsch Jubilee have a HUGE soundstage and paint the room with music. I'd be willing to experiment with the Jubilees (of course with the help on the Klipsch community forum members) realizing my cost downstream my not have a big return. I do have several low watt amps that will play wonderfully on either setup.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicDirector View Post
    What they cost was not what I was wondering about. (Oh, and "snob" is not even within a thousand miles of your lexicon Joe, geez)! I was just unaware that Klipsch made such things these days and was just wondering because I know your love for Harbeths. I just love the way intonation is never translated in writing no matter how hard one tries. (sarcasm).

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Sorry, I did take it in the best possible way. My post came off poorly. I apologize.

The more I look, the more I find. Oh man, it's mind boggling.

I do love Harbeth, but I have my Strads and rather than get something more similar, I thought I'd go a little crazy

I am getting the feeling (without hearing these speaker) that the Avantgarde are more refined while the Klipsch Jubilee have a HUGE soundstage and paint the room with music. I'd be willing to experiment with the Jubilees (of course with the help on the Klipsch community forum members) realizing my cost downstream my not have a big return. I do have several low watt amps that will play wonderfully on either setup.
    LOL! Yeah, its at that point that I command myself to stop looking.

As a recent good acquaintance of mine (who happens to be a physicist and speaker designer), told me: "What it really comes down to is that one needs to decide what flavor one wants because there is no such thing as absolute neutrality or perfect in the audio speaker world." It's not always an easy decision either because often times there is a trade off. For example: say between response and staging or detail and efficiency, etc. it seems like one can't have both of any combo a lot of times. That's why speaker shopping is so tiring because much work must go into it to find the closest to the best of all worlds within any budget.
    Knowing that it comes down to flavors and picking one kind of helps, but it depends.

For me it helps in regards to my vintage system because I already know that as much as I would love to go with a pair of $1400+ Spatials, it does not make any fiscal sense to spend that on a $400 system in a room where the acoustics are just fine, but there is no sweet listening spot. (Although at the same time, the design of the Spatials make the most sense for that situation). So I'm looking at the Elacs hoping to make a decision come January. Since I do have access to demo Elacs directly, I might go over to Best Buy (if they still carry Klipsch) and compare them to a similar pair of Klipsch just for giggles if nothing else.

Well, no question the Klipsch Jubilee is a high output speaker. I vote for the Jubilee.

There is a do-it-yourself aspect to the Jubilee. First, It's a real cinema speaker you'd find sitting behind the screen at THX certified 100+ seat auditorium. It comes in flat black with no finish.

You would have to supply a crossover, and decide if you want a two or three way version. I would consider active crossovers.

Next, you'd may consider putting some nice veneer on the exposed panels.

For power, look for amps with superlative signal to noise ratio. You'll hear hiss if you don't consider this. There is a new benchmark amp, MC452, MC2301, MC601 amps that have about 120dB of Signal to Noise. Those should be more than enough- I can't advise what the minimum standard would be, so I am going way over just to be sure.

If you have a wife or a partner, they will balk.

Which you may just construct them "as is", then paint the area behind them in black, and put false acoustically transparent wall ( any color speaker gril cloth) across the entire front listening area. I am sure it would be a neat effect- music just coming "through the wall."

Then there is the cost of everything. You could buy two Jubilees with Avantegarde money.

I've heard the Uno's and the Jubilee's set up correctly in different rooms with the same tube amp but what sold me on the Jubilee's was the depth and intense clarity of the music with the volume very very low. Might be the most efficient speakers made today. After a bit turned the volume up to 2.5 on the 10 point dial and it was close to bending the sheetrock on the walls.

Super Moderator

I'd still love to have a pair of Jubilee for the downstairs playroom for fun.

But my AG Duo XD have just blown me away. I love the Alnico drivers and the speakers absolutely bring the musicians right in front of me for my own personal concerts.

NAD C 658 streamer.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team