Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Good matching sub for LS50s

I absolutely love my new LS50s!

I had a basic, inexpensive powered Klipsch sub-woofer not being used. It was from the surround sound system. When I moved the McIntosh speakers to that system I removed the sub (space considerations, etc.). I hooked it up with the LS50s and have it set for very subtle additions. Seems to be ok, but I was what a good matching sub would be. How much better would it be than the Klipsch, etc.

Any input is welcome.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Re: Good matching sub for LS50s

Two small Rel 8 or 10 inch subs wired from speaker terminals.

Is speaker terminals better than using the sub woofer output on my amp? I thought using the sub out was preferred.

Has anyone tried the KEF subs; do they compete? Looking more in the closer to $500 range to get a basic one to replace the Klipsch, if I can get something that would be an improvement.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Randy-I hate to burst your bubble, but you are not going to buy a $500 sub that is going to do justice to your LS50 speakers. There is a reason that the bottom two octaves cost the most money to add them cleanly to any system. I owned a pair of the LS50 anniversary speakers with custom made Sound Anchor stands. I used them with my pair of Definitive Technology Super Cube Reference subs with a 14" subwoofer and a built-in 1800 watt amp that sold for $1899 each when they were still made. In other words, the pair of subs cost $2298 more than the pair of LS50 speakers.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Audioshark

Mark - thoughts on this sub? http://rel.net/products/serie-ti-2/t-zero/

It fits in his budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

This definitely looks interesting. I was looking at this Rel or the KEF Kube-1. I am thinking/hoping that either would be a solid improvement over the Klipsch that I have from a surround sound system when I put the McIntosh speakers into that system. I am looking only for 2-channel music...

Appreciate opinions. After recently purchasing the entire system (and wife's new toys) I don't have the budget for anything better. I want good solid, but certainly realize I am not looking for spectacular or the ultimate... just adding a tad more clean bottom end help for the KEFs.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Mike-The sub uses a 6 1/2" woofer which tells me that it really can't plumb the bottom octaves. Would it add something? Sure. When I think of the term subwoofer, I think of a sub that can truly reach down to 20 Hz without being 18 dB or more down. 20 Hz to 40 Hz is the most expensive octave of real bass. I see nothing on the link that you provided that even gives any specs for this sub. My guess is that it nosedives below 50 Hz and probably before.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Mike-The sub uses a 6 1/2" woofer which tells me that it really can't plumb the bottom octaves. Would it add something? Sure. When I think of the term subwoofer, I think of a sub that can truly reach down to 20 Hz without being 18 dB or more down. 20 Hz to 40 Hz is the most expensive octave of real bass. I see nothing on the link that you provided that even gives any specs for this sub. My guess is that it nosedives below 50 Hz and probably before.
    38hz at -6db.

http://rel.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/T-Zero.pdf

I'm in agreement with you, but with a $500 budget, there are trade offs.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    38hz at -6db.

http://rel.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/T-Zero.pdf

I'm in agreement with you, but with a $500 budget, there are trade offs.

Mike-If this sub can truly deliver 38 Hz at -6dB, it's one hell of a bargain and it Randy should jump on them.

Rythmik has one model a little over the budget that's -3 point is 18hz. It is a sealed 12" which may or may not be fast enough in ultimate terms for the LS-50's, but would certainly seem to be a better option than the Klipsch. Certainly worth more of a test drive than the two small units based on extension and crossover flexibility I would think.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/L12.html
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

I believe I am going to go with the Rel. Everything I read says that Rel are the most musical. I am looking for a touch more tight bottom end for a 2-channel music only system. I am not at all interested in any kind of boom or room rattle... just some fast tight extra bottom end.

The Rel T-Zero is listed as Audiophile sub for those looking for musical only enhancement.

Thank you for all the input. Some nice information there.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Rythmik seals sub is a good consideration, another one which will cost more is the ken kreisel sub

Randy

The Rythmik "sealed" subs are not for "boom or rattle", they also make a line of ported HT subs for that. The Rythmik subs are also sold through Ascend Acoustics and Salk for use with their speakers. In fact Jim Salk takes the guts and design of the Rythmik subs and puts them in his own wood veneer cabinets to match the finish on his speakers. I am going to order a pair of the 12SE's after the first of the year to go with my Nola KO's. But if you think you will be happy with 40 hz out of the REL then give it a try. I might spend a little time on A'Gon, US Audiomart and HIFI Shark and try to find something higher up used for your price point. There are several used T-5's on your side of the country for less than $500.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Audioshark

Rythmik and Rel are excellent options. It will all come down to budget and personal preference. A used REL T-5 is a good suggestion too.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I believe I am going to go with the Rel. Everything I read says that Rel are the most musical. I am looking for a touch more tight bottom end for a 2-channel music only system. I am not at all interested in any kind of boom or room rattle... just some fast tight extra bottom end.

The Rel T-Zero is listed as Audiophile sub for those looking for musical only enhancement.

Thank you for all the input. Some nice information there.
    I am running two Rel zeros with audience 1+1 v2 speakers and they are perfect for music. Better then one larger sub - and I should know because I have a velodyne dd15+, infinity intermezzo 1.2, velodyne microvee, Rel T5, and Rel Habitat (another smart musical option).

Quote Originally Posted by Dpod4 View Post
    I am running two Rel zeros with audience 1+1 v2 speakers and they are perfect for music. Better then one larger sub - and I should know because I have a velodyne dd15+, infinity intermezzo 1.2, velodyne microvee, Rel T5, and Rel Habitat (another smart musical option).
    Thanks for input. That sounds what I am looking for. Something to add a little musically, solid company and look real nice in system. I also like the grand piano finish... same as the rest of my system!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thanks for input. That sounds what I am looking for. Something to add a little musically, solid company and look real nice in system. I also like the grand piano finish... same as the rest of my system!
    I am also running Rel's. I have a pair of S/2's, with my Focal Diablo's, and they are great.
    Rick

Ayre MX-R Focal Diablo Utopia III REL S/2 (x2) emm Labs PRE2, DAC2X Aurender N10 Shunyata Triton/Typhon, Zitron Python, Zitron Alpha HC, Zitron Alpha Digital and Zitron Alpha Analog PC's Siltech Royal Signature Prince SC's, Royal Signature Princess IC's, Royal Signature Golden Ridge II AES/EBU Quadraspire Q4L Rack

Quote Originally Posted by Dpod4 View Post
    I am really looking forward to trying these out!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Just received the Rel T Zero... After just a couple albums all I can say is WOW!!! So much more musical... Very tight, and no more of the mid/low drums sounding "slappy" (not sure what else to call it ).

All I am looking for in a sub... very small, very well built, perfect match to the KEF, both cosmetically and in sonic cleanness. The system sounds 100% better....

Some more listening... Natalie Merchant, amazing, Soundgarden really showed how good this little sub and the KEFs can rock, Alan Parsons, Supertramp, dam these are good... Alanis Morrisette... nice nice... Roger Waters, what a sound stage... CSN... nice oh so sweet... this is a very nice compact speaker combination.... can't wait to give them a run when the DSD DAC arrives....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

How hard or easy was it to set up? How do you have it connected? I'm considering adding a sub or two to my Scansonic MB 2.5. Thinking about two Sumiko S.5 or possibly a 10' JL E series.

Adding the Rel to my system was a piece of cake. My McIntosh has pre-amp outs. There is a setting in the menu to make the pre-amp out sub woofer outs. I turned this on and connected a nice thick gold RCA cable that I had to the input on the sub. plugged the subs AC in and we were off to the races. I did play around a little with the crossover and level settings on the sub. My McIntosh recommended a crossover point at about 80 Hz... this is about where I ended up setting it. Higher than that started sounding a tad boomy... All in all was very easy to get up and running and set where I liked it.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

The more I listen to this combo the more impressed I am.... The KEF LS50 and the Rel TZero are a British match made in Heaven... Listening to the DSD version of Thriller... HOLY F!@#$%^.... anyone looking for a ultra compact speaker setup that is an audiophile dream... highly recommended....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thanks Randy! Sounds like just the ticket, for a 3-channel A/V set-up I'm doing; with Dynaudio X-14s/X24.

Saved me research! Cheers
    CD

DAC/Pre-amp - PSAudio DsJ > Power-amp - > Speakers - PMC TwentyFive 23s

You are very welcome... I hope you love them... I know I sure do!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Two T Zeros on their way to make company to P3ESRs!!!
    I only bumped onto this thread today, and got really excited after reading it. What you wrote was exactly what I was looking for when searching for a pair of subwoofers to build up the bass of P3s a bit. I can't wait to get them now.

Have you played with the crossover a bit more in the mean time or you left it at 80Hz?
    My idea was to set the crossover to some 60-65Hz and set the gain a tad under the level of P3s @75Hz (P3s are rated -3dB @75Hz) to kind of smooth off the bass roll off, and not to impact the P3s midrange too much (I will have to keep full range signal on P3s and wouldn't like the subwoofers to go too high in P3s territory).

I think I have it somewhere in the 70-80 range. Have not looked in a while. I am no longer using my beloved little KEF's. I got a great deal on some Music Culture RL21's which are amazing. Noticed a huge difference putting my little REL in the corner of the room though!!!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Adding the Rel to my system was a piece of cake. My McIntosh has pre-amp outs. There is a setting in the menu to make the pre-amp out sub woofer outs. I turned this on and connected a nice thick gold RCA cable that I had to the input on the sub. plugged the subs AC in and we were off to the races. I did play around a little with the crossover and level settings on the sub. My McIntosh recommended a crossover point at about 80 Hz... this is about where I ended up setting it. Higher than that started sounding a tad boomy... All in all was very easy to get up and running and set where I liked it.
    Randy,

Single sub?
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Hey Jim, boy this is an old thread .... using completely different electronics now.... have separate pre-outputs going to a long RCA and the little sub buried in the corner. I use XLR outputs to either amplifier. For me it seems to add all I need especially since the MC actually have surprisingly good base for monitor speakers.

Currently using just a single sub, but I have considered adding a second one at some point.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Hey Jim,

I can't afford to jump into some of the higher level subs that people talk about here, however I did just add a second. I added a KEF Kube-1. It is an 8" active and passive radiator design. I have never liked large drivers... very much prefer smaller, tighter bass drivers. Always been a KEF fan (well European designed speakers).

The Kube just arrived and I am playing around with positioning. Although I loved the LS50's, the MC speakers are a huge step up...

I could not afford to fly you out to CA, and honestly, my system is not to that level at this point anyway. However, any advise given is always greatly appreciated!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

I bought a KEF sub to go with my LS50 wireless speakers (for use at home with TV).

Nice... I always loved KEF. At some point I will probably end up with some References! By the way, the little Kobe seems like a decent, well built sub!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

Mine is the KEF Q400b sub.

I saw they had a good deal going on that one. Believe it or not, I decided I wanted the smaller driver... I also liked the glossy top to match my other speakers. Yours is probably a little better though .

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

I saw they had a good deal going on that one. Believe it or not, I decided I wanted the smaller driver... I also liked the glossy yo' to match my other speakers. Yours is probably a little better though .
    Not sure. I needed a set of powered speakers with optical input (only have optical output on my Tivo box). My wife complained often that the speakers in the TV suck (they do). These should be great. HUGE improvement I'm betting.

Ah... so you have not heard them yet? The LS50 are very impressive.... so I imagine the wireless versions are equally amazing. I can't imagine you not being pleased!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

Ah... so you have not heard them yet? The LS50 are very impressive.... so I imagine the wireless versions are equally amazing. I can't imagine you not being pleased!
    oh no, I have. I have heard both the original LS50's and the new wireless ones. Very nice.

The best decision I made when decided to pair small monitor speakers was an addition of miniDSP 2x4 to feed the subwoofers. No matter which subs you have, good or bad, if your room is not treated the chances of having good bass are slim.
    Using a DSP can fix a good amount of issues at problematic frequencies so the whole music experience is much better. I was really skeptic about the DSP at the beginning, but given the fact only lower octave or two are DSPed and mains not, assured me my skepticism was not justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    oh no, I have. I have heard both the original LS50's and the new wireless ones. Very nice.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team