Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

New McIntosh system

I recently got the McIntosh MXA70 system. I replaced the speakers with the KEF LS50 and use the McIntosh speakers that came with the system in the surround sound system with the TV.

So far loving it!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

Re: New McIntosh system

I'll have to check that one out, I saw it today and it looked so cute
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Well, if I can figure out how to get a couple pictures up here I will show you the setup ...
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

Usually it takes 10 posts to allow photo links but you can place the url between the brackets and be off and running.

[img]url[/img]
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Dang... requiring two more...
    Last edited by joeinid; November 9, 2015 at 12:12 AM.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Hmmm, seems like it took the post ....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Dang... requiring two more...

Excellent Gear!
    Main System:Mcintosh MC601's Amplifer,Mcintosh C1000/C1000T Preamp,Kef Ref 5 Speakers,Mcintosh MCD1100 CDP,Mcintosh MT 5 TT, Olive 04HD, Acoustic Zen Absolute Shotgun Cables,4 ELECTRA™ 7 Power Cords&2 Pairs of
    ECLIPSE 7 (EBI) XLR's, Consonance D-Linear 15 Ultra Reference Power Conditioner/Surge Protector, SolidTech "Rack of Silence"Reference 4 Audio Stand.

Thank you... it's certainly a start.... feels so good to be back to listening to good equipment again

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thank you... it's certainly a start.... feels so good to be back to listening to good equipment again
    I like that however watch out it can make you open your wallet endlessly LOL
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I like that however watch out it can make you open your wallet endlessly LOL
    Yea, understand that... I can't believe I just bought the KEFs shortly after getting the McIntosh equipment... but more surprising was that my wife said yes to the KEFs ...

Yea, I got to watch the budget...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I am a little embarrassed having a McIntosh system with KEF speakers just sitting on a counter in my home office so I have convinced my wife that the system needs to be up in our loft library. It sounds much better up there. We have ordered a cabinet and some speakers stands. I will post updated photos when all arrives .

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

Very nice Randy. Looks like you've become one of us.

NAD C 658 streamer.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I am a little embarrassed having a McIntosh system with KEF speakers just sitting on a counter in my home office so I have convinced my wife that the system needs to be up in our loft library. It sounds much better up there. We have ordered a cabinet and some speakers stands. I will post updated photos when all arrives .
    Randy.......Your next consideration for maximizing your listening experience should be a decent subwoofer, perhaps something like the new JL Audio E110 or E112. The KEF LS50 rolls the bottom octave off quickly below 70Hz. A subwoofer will fill in the lowest octave and dramatically improve your system's performance. There is a lot of sound to be enjoyed in the lowest octave.

I had Sonus faber Cremona Auditors and then replaced them with Sonus faber Guarneri Memento speakers several years ago. Both of those speakers rolled off below 45Hz rapidly. Although the Auditors and the GM's sounded very good, when I added two McIntosh XLS112 subwoofers to the system the difference was amazing. Deep solid bass truly improved the overall listening experience. This will be even more evident for you with the higher low frequency roll off of the KEF LS50. Adding a subwoofer will floor you with the overall improvement.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

That sounds like a good suggestion... can't make another purchase now, but I do have a Klipsch powered sub that I am not using now... wonder if that would hurt the clean KEF if I try hooking it up, maybe use it at a very low level... what do you think?

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

That sounds like a good suggestion... can't make another purchase now, but I do have a Klipsch powered sub that I am not using now... wonder if that would hurt the clean KEF if I try hooking it up, maybe use it at a very low level... what do you think?
    Randy.......Hey, if it's just sitting around, why not? Give it a shot. Your MXA70 has preamp outputs so getting the subwoofer into the system should not be too difficult. Just feather it into the bottom end of the LS50's output. If the Klipsch sub has a crossover control, start out at 80Hz and then lower the crossover point a few hertz at a time until you feel comfortable with the integration. I wouldn't go much below 70HZ for a crossover point or you will experience a dip in low frequency output before the steps in. With the subwoofer gain control, start a bit high and gradually lower the gain until the subwoofer almost disappears except with the extreme bottom frequencies. Should be quite an improvement. Let us know how it works out if you decide to incorporate the sub into your system.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Thanks Dan. I know your Sonus Fabers are supposed to be awesome; hopefully I can get my KEFs to come close at least...

Ok, just checked. The McIntosh manual specifically says to set a power sub to 80 Hz, so perfect, the Klipsch can be set to that. The Klipsch paper work (yes I still have it and was able to find it ...) said to use the left input when coming from a specific sub woofer out on the amplifier... so again perfect.

So far definitely can hear more bottom end. I might slide the gain down a tad more.... I want it very subtle... But, yes sir, you are right, since I already have it why not hook it up and use it ....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Randy.......It is not uncommon for gain to be set a bit high in the beginning when trying to integrate a sub into a sound system. With trial and error you will gradually find the perfect volume level where the subwoofer calls no attention to itself but fully supports the lowest octave. Good to hear it's working out.
    Dan

Yes, I am listening to your advice for sure. I am definitely in the adjustment stage. It is not a real great sub, but I guess it is not terrible either. Since I already own it there is no reason to not give it a try ... It is an amplified Klipsch and does have the correct adjustments....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

We finally got the system setup in it's new home, our loft library... here is a couple quick snap shots....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

Awesome Randy! Looks beautiful. I am sure it sounds wonderful.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thank you Joe,

Certainly an improvement.... here are a couple more .... Really lovin the McIntosh / KEF combination....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

McIntosh and KEF is a great combination. I am so happy you are loving the music.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Randy you have a great system and such a cozy room
    Main System:Mcintosh MC601's Amplifer,Mcintosh C1000/C1000T Preamp,Kef Ref 5 Speakers,Mcintosh MCD1100 CDP,Mcintosh MT 5 TT, Olive 04HD, Acoustic Zen Absolute Shotgun Cables,4 ELECTRA™ 7 Power Cords&2 Pairs of
    ECLIPSE 7 (EBI) XLR's, Consonance D-Linear 15 Ultra Reference Power Conditioner/Surge Protector, SolidTech "Rack of Silence"Reference 4 Audio Stand.

It is so good getting back into the hobby I loved so much and have really missed all these years. My wife is also happy and excited about how happy it makes me. She also is very happy with the new look and agrees it is so much better up in the loft!!!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by volks View Post
    Randy you have a great system and such a cozy room
    Thank you sir... it has definitely become my favorite room in the house...

You guys are being very kind... look at the systems you have ... but I guess we all have to start somewhere ....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Hi Randy, Very nice room and system you got there Love it.

I've seen so many people not happy/satisfy with their multi $$$$$$ system so as long as you are happy with your system, that's all that matters

Enjoy in good health!

P.S: Don't you want to have the speaker stands that make it up to your ear level though?
    Paul

Was looking at higher ones, but honestly, didn't want to get above the loft over hang wall, and when I am sitting on the sofa listening they are very close to ear level. Anything higher would put them close to the loft opening and thought better to not do that.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

Looking good Randy! Is the driver of the LS50 at ear level?
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Fairly close to it. The next taller stand would have raised them up another 6" and put them at or above ear level, but also put the port above the rear loft wall. I felt that it was more important to make sure to keep them below the reflection wall. They sound very good where they are, and because the KEF are so transparent and good at dispersion I don't see that as a problem.

I just put a piece of marble tile below each speaker stand. My thought was raising each another 1/4" but also stabilizing the spikes on the speaker stands for better isolation, to remove them from the carpet.

Am I thinking about this right or does this thought make no logic reason as far as speaker placement goes?

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I have been able to put two marble tiles under each speaker stand... that is about it. The system sounds fantastic and with the KEF dispersion it does not seem to be any issue being a tad lower... the tiles look good in this configuration!

BTW- that one painting in view in one of the photos is one of mine ... another hobby... too dam many me thinks ...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

Randy - that should help. Do you know if there are special KEF LS50 stands that are a little taller? You ideally want the tweeter (middle of the woofer in your case) at ear level height. Do you think you're close now?

The granite will also act as a good isolator.

P.S. Your painting looks so real! Beauty.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Thank you Mike... I considered other stands but I wanted to make sure that the rear port did not go over top of the reflective wall behind the speakers.... being that this is in a loft.... here is one final photo showing about as good as I can get it in this location....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Now that I finally have the system setup completely in the loft I figured I would put up some new photos:

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

Randy,

Awesome photos and awesome system. You've done an amazing job. Thank you for posting. So glad you're have fun.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thank you Joe... it is great fun, no doubt!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

How does the TEAC DAC compare to the built-in DAC on the Mac?
    Rance

Synology DS411+II | GigaFOILv4 + Keces P3 Power Supply | Shunyata Alpha Ethernet | Lumin S1 | VAC Master Line Stage | VAC Signature 200 iQ amps | Kharma Elegance dB11-S | SVS PC-4000 subs x 2 | Shunyata 6000/T v2 | Kharma Elegance signal cables| Luminous Audio Technology power cables | Isoacoustics OREA vibration isolators | Solid Tech racks | Vicoustic room treatments | Acoustic Sciences Corporation IsoWall + IsoCeiling construction

Well for PCM it is very comparable (same chipset and all, BurrBrown PCM1795)... maybe just a tad better being that the Teac uses two BurrBrown PCM1795 and runs dual monaural throughout. Also the Teac has better filtering that is switchable, for PCM, sharp, slow and off. The slow is unique and tends to make the unit sound a tad warmer....

But the real kicker is the DSD... In every comparison I have done, including the exact same album in HD PCM versus DSD, the DSD is much better.

So far I am loving the Teac, but I have had it less than a week, so it is not yet broken in....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Nice set up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

New McIntosh system