Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

Dartzeel NHB-18NS and NHB-108B .... The new King

Eventhough I am still waiting for my D'Agostino preamp to arrive (very soon), I've been going back and forth with the amps. I think many of us realize at this level it's largely a matter of personal taste. I've been using a 50 ohm BNC connection between the Dartzeels, the preferred connection. I am going to go out on a limb and declare my Dartzeel combo the winner. The Dart seems to have a more natural ease and on my TADs, possibly more detail too (but not in a critical way). It's almost as if I can see more into the sound stage with a little more air around voices/instruments. The Momentum feels thicker and fuller (some would say more meat on the bone), but long term I am not sure I like it as much. Using the companion Dag preamp on the Momentum may prove as satisfying so I need to come back to this comparison. One thing I need to say is that I have not gone with top of the line interconnects and power cords but with reasonably priced cables. I really love my Dartzeel amp/preamp, but realize the Dartzeel amp will not drive every speaker like the D'Agostino. I can only imagine how nice the Dartzeel 458's sound.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: Dartzeel NHB-18NS and NHB-108B .... The new King

I know I've told you before how much I like the Dart just on looks alone over the Dag's, which I still have trouble with in terms of looks, so I won't say it again. At 100w/8 ohms, there are plenty of speakers the Dart will drive so that shouldn't be the make it or break it factor. Maybe once you have lived with the Dag pre for awhile and made the final decision on what's going to stay, that would be the time to try out different cables.

Are you considering moving on from the TAD's?
    Doug

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    I know I've told you before how much I like the Dart just on looks alone over the Dag's, which I still have trouble with in terms of looks, so I won't say it again. At 100w/8 ohms, there are plenty of speakers the Dart will drive so that shouldn't be the make it or break it factor. Maybe once you have lived with the Dag pre for awhile and made the final decision on what's going to stay, that would be the time to try out different cables.

Are you considering moving on from the TAD's?
    I have to be honest and say that I've thought about it, but I can't think of what would be an actual upgrade. When everything is right, OMG! It's amazing. I'm going to hear a pair of SF Evos this weekend to get a feel for them. I believe vinyl on my Dart/TAD combo will be outstanding. I am not sure the Dart will be all that comfortable on the Evos, but I am sure the D'Agostino will. I am at the point of possibly adding a different speaker later on once the vinyl rig is setup and playing. I may ultimately to sell the "unused" gear and move on.
    Last edited by joeinid; May 17, 2013 at 12:59 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Glad to here you're liking the Dart combo. Now sell that Dag and buy yourself some top notch interconnects and power cords.
    Gryphon Essence stereo amp and preamp/dac Hurricane power cords
    Fyne Audio F1-10, Lumin T2, Moon 260 Transport
    Shunyata Research Everest, Sigma V2 XC,
    Shunyata Research Sigma USB and Ethernet
    Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by johnthomas View Post
    Glad to here you're liking the Dart combo. Now sell that Dag and buy yourself some top notch interconnects and power cords.
    Think I could get you interested?

NAD C 658 streamer.

I think I'll hold out for the Constellation Centuar
    Gryphon Essence stereo amp and preamp/dac Hurricane power cords
    Fyne Audio F1-10, Lumin T2, Moon 260 Transport
    Shunyata Research Everest, Sigma V2 XC,
    Shunyata Research Sigma USB and Ethernet
    Argento Audio speaker cables and interconnects

Super Moderator

That should be really nice.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Was not impressed at all with the Constellation amp. Maybe it was the speaker pairing.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Glad to read you are so pleased with the sound of your Dartzeel combo, Joe! Happy Friday!
    McIntosh MC501s, XRT29s, XR27, WS350s
    ModWright LS 300 preamplifier
    ModWright PH 9.0XT phono stage
    Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
    Cambridge Audio CXNv2 with ModWright Truth Tube Modifications
    Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
    Outlaw 7000x HT Amplifier
    Denon AVR-X4700H HT Receiver (pre-amp mode)
    JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
    ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
    WyWires, LAT International, Wireworld Cables

Super Moderator

Thanks Jeff.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe,

I would not sell anything before spending sometime with the matching preamplifier. You risk having a nice surprise! IMHO using the D'Agostino without its preamplifier (well burnt) versus the DartZeel combo is not a fair comparison.

Super Moderator

You are correct. I will take my time and really make sure

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Joe,

I would not sell anything before spending sometime with the matching preamplifier. You risk having a nice surprise! IMHO using the D'Agostino without its preamplifier (well burnt) versus the DartZeel combo is not a fair comparison.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe,

PLEASE tell me you're not using Nordost on the darTZeel.
    That explains the lack of "meat on the bones", at least when compared to the D'Agostino.
    Nordost is a no no with darTZeel. Avoid it.
    If you can, try to find a used/demo Transparent MM2 power cord, fits the 108 like a glove. Or the more expensive Kubala Sosna Elation.

Super Moderator

Ha!

No I am not using the Nordost with the Dartzeel. I don't like that combo. I am using Transparent/Acoustic Zen/Cardas, it's much better. The Nordost works very well on the Dagostino.

Quote Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
    Joe,

PLEASE tell me you're not using Nordost on the darTZeel.
    That explains the lack of "meat on the bones", at least when compared to the D'Agostino.
    Nordost is a no no with darTZeel. Avoid it.
    If you can, try to find a used/demo Transparent MM2 power cord, fits the 108 like a glove. Or the more expensive Kubala Sosna Elation.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe,

I cannot tell you how happy I am for you.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    Joe,

I cannot tell you how happy I am for you.
    Thank you Adam. Herve makes awesome gear. There is something so natural and addicting to my Dartzeel gear.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Happy for you as well, Joe! While the chase is fun, finding the right gear with the right synergy that works for you is even better, IMO. Allows you to just sit back and enjoy the music even more...

Allen

Super Moderator

Hi Allen,

I am VERY curious what you end up with in your new room. How's the hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    Happy for you as well, Joe! While the chase is fun, finding the right gear with the right synergy that works for you is even better, IMO. Allows you to just sit back and enjoy the music even more...

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Ha!

No I am not using the Nordost with the Dartzeel. I don't like that combo. I am using Transparent/Acoustic Zen/Cardas, it's much better. The Nordost works very well on the Dagostino.
    Joe
    Very surprised that you like the Nordost on the Momentums. I think you are the first person I have heard about who has gone that way. I am pretty sure Chuck dumped his Nordost right away.
    Jim

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    Joe
    Very surprised that you like the Nordost on the Momentums. I think you are the first person I have heard about who has gone that way. I am pretty sure Chuck dumped his Nordost right away.
    That's interesting. What didn't Chuck like about it?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hi Allen,

I am VERY curious what you end up with in your new room. How's the hunt?
    Haha, funny you ask. Was going to email you later tonight.

You know how there's a Vinyl Fever growing on Audio Shark? Think I caught it too! (I call Jeff about Vicoustics and within 24 hours I wind up buying an LP!). So now I'm wondering should I just get a proper pre/phono/TT instead of new speakers, LOL!

I am so easily suggestible!

Allen

Super Moderator

You are getting sleepy. You want TAD CR-1's. Woooooo. Woooooo. CR-1's, mmmmm, mmmmm.

You know how there's a Vinyl Fever growing on Audio Shark? Think I caught it too! (I call Jeff about Vicoustics and within 24 hours I wind up buying an LP!). So now I'm wondering should I just get a proper pre/phono/TT instead of new speakers, LOL!

NAD C 658 streamer.

That's interesting. What didn't Chuck like about it?
    I am sure he will jump in when he sees this. He is still in China now.
    Jim

You are getting sleepy. You want TAD CR-1's. Woooooo. Woooooo. CR-1's, mmmmm, mmmmm.

Allen

Super Moderator

NAD C 658 streamer.

Good to see your planning ahead
    Dealer / Manufacture Disclosure:

Jeff Whitlock
    A/V Solutions / Unity Audio Design
    www.avsolutionsca.com

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Hehe. You know, I get a tingle every time I see that Constellation/Ref1 pic you posted. Sigh...

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by A/V Solutions View Post
    Good to see your planning ahead
    Jeff, next time I call to talk acoustic treatments, let's stick to topic!

Wife hands me the package the other day, says she thinks this is an LP, but you don't have a turntable, honey?!

Allen

Jeff, next time I call to talk acoustic treatments, let's stick to topic!

Wife hands me the package the other day, says she thinks this is an LP, but you don't have a turntable, honey?!

priceless!
    Doug

Super Moderator

Smart wife.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Hehe. You know, I get a tingle every time I see that Constellation/Ref1 pic you posted. Sigh...
    Way too much money. CR-1's are much more cost effective. Ask anyone, better driver integration on the smaller speakers. Don't forget the TT and all the accessories.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Allen

Super Moderator

NAD C 658 streamer.

jeff, next time i call to talk acoustic treatments, let's stick to topic!:d

wife hands me the package the other day, says she thinks this is an lp, but you don't have a turntable, honey?!
    LOL
    Dealer / Manufacture Disclosure:

Jeff Whitlock
    A/V Solutions / Unity Audio Design
    www.avsolutionsca.com

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Awesome Joe, good to hear.

When you mentioned in your first DAG thread that it had more meat on the bones then the Dart I knew it would be the one going - Dart has this in prefect balance and a more "meaty" presentation would be too much IMO.

Personally as soon as I hooked up the cr1's to the 108 it was game over for me on the gear swapping. This was the type of sound I had been searching for since the beginning. All the time spent equipment searching are now spent on discovering new music and artists and this is so much more rewarding! I am now back to where I was before the hifi bug bit me a few years ago but with an awesome system and excellent sound in my room .
    Last edited by AudioExplorations; May 20, 2013 at 08:33 AM.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Dartzeel NHB-18NS and NHB-108B .... The new King