Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

D'Agostino Master Classic Power Stereo Amplifier ….

http://dandagostino.com/products-mas...sic-stereo.php

Does anyone know if the Master Classic Stereo amp is the same Momentum Stereo amp in a less expensive case or are there parts differences to lessen the price?

Have you heard it and what do you think of it?

There is a 25 dB signal to noise ratio deficit with this amp compared to the Momentum Stereo.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joeinid; October 13, 2015 at 05:28 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: D'Agostino Master Classic Power Stereo Amplifier ….

Hi Joe

I was able to hear the Master Classic compared to the D'agostino Momentum Integrated on the Wilson Sasha 2 with a Linn Streamer as the source. Just based on my subjective impression thought the Master Integrated was better and by a noticeable margin but still thought the Master Classic was great. The Master Classic seemed to have more bass and overall a slightly warmer and denser sound but seemed less detailed and didn't have the ultimate refinement of the integrated. The Master Classic also pretty massive in size.

Super Moderator

For almost one third the price, I guess you can't have it all.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    http://dandagostino.com/products-mas...sic-stereo.php

Does anyone know if the Master Classic Stereo amp is the same Momentum Stereo amp in a less expensive case or are there parts differences to lessen the price?

Have you heard it and what do you think of it?

There is a 25 dB signal to noise ratio deficit with this amp compared to the Momentum Stereo.
    Joe.......I don't remember where I read it, but D'Agostino said the 80dB signal to noise ratio was a misprint.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Double-D View Post
    Joe.......I don't remember where I read it, but D'Agostino said the 80dB signal to noise ratio was a misprint.
    It's still on the website as of now, but that would be great if it's untrue.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe,

I've heard both, and the Classic Stereo is a fantastic amp for the price. It's *not* the guts of the Momentum integrated in a different case, but it's a similar project. It has more output transistors, for once, so it's even more powerful than the Momentum.
    I believe that SNR ratio was given under a different measurement scenario. Don't read much into it.
    I rank the D'Ag as good, if not better, than the monster Hegel H30, and the D'Ag is even cheaper (more powerful too!)

Super Moderator

Thank you. I'd like to hear one.

Quote Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
    Joe,

I've heard both, and the Classic Stereo is a fantastic amp for the price. It's *not* the guts of the Momentum integrated in a different case, but it's a similar project. It has more output transistors, for once, so it's even more powerful than the Momentum.
    I believe that SNR ratio was given under a different measurement scenario. Don't read much into it.
    I rank the D'Ag as good, if not better, than the monster Hegel H30, and the D'Ag is even cheaper (more powerful too!)

NAD C 658 streamer.

I heard both and honestly, I was hoping they would be close, but there's no comparison. I don't think the Classic Stereo is even the equal of the Krell Evo 402e. Surprisingly, the bass I expected just wasn't there. If you want Dagostino, you need to spend the extra money for the Momentum series.
    Focal Scala V2, Accuphase DP-550, Avid Volvere, SME 309, Benz-Micro Reference Copper S, Accuphase C-37 phono pre, Tara Labs 0.8, Accuphase A-70, Accuphase C-2420 preamp

What did you use for speakers? Preamp? Source? Frankly, I thought the bass was amazing on it, with YG Haileys, in a fairly large room... Other people heard this setup when we did an event in the store, and not a single person mention lack of bass...

I've had the Krell 402e for a while in my setup, and the new stuff is miles ahead, specially in terms of refinement and transparency.

Speakers were Wilson Alexandria XLF, Preamp was Dagostino, Source was Audio Research CD9. The system had an almost complete lack of bass slam.

What did you use for speakers? Preamp? Source? Frankly, I thought the bass was amazing on it, with YG Haileys, in a fairly large room... Other people heard this setup when we did an event in the store, and not a single person mention lack of bass...

I've had the Krell 402e for a while in my setup, and the new stuff is miles ahead, specially in terms of refinement and transparency.
    Focal Scala V2, Accuphase DP-550, Avid Volvere, SME 309, Benz-Micro Reference Copper S, Accuphase C-37 phono pre, Tara Labs 0.8, Accuphase A-70, Accuphase C-2420 preamp

I think I know where the problem lies... But it's not for me to say...

One thing, though: I was not a big fan of the old Krell stuff. I find these new amps (both the Momentum as well as the Classic Stereo) Dan's best designs, by far. Maybe because they ARE very different.

Hifi News review here

Caribbean Distributor of
    ARC / Sonus Faber / Wadia / Wilson / VAC / Soulution / Nordost / Shunyata / Stillpoints
    Kuzma / Focal / Resonessence Labs / ARIA / KRELL / Pro-Ject...

Caribbean Distributor of
    ARC / Sonus Faber / Wadia / Wilson / VAC / Soulution / Nordost / Shunyata / Stillpoints

This monster was installed yesterday, totally Awesome!!
    Caribbean Distributor of

Its a monster alright , any technical info ..? Thoughts ..?

Doesn't get hot and it breaks in at around 100hours
    Caribbean Distributor of

Nice deep end bass control
    Drives the WA with ease
    And sounds very nice from startup
    Caribbean Distributor of

Super Moderator

Great news Nelson! Looks beautiful too.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by dfwmediagroup View Post
    Speakers were Wilson Alexandria XLF, Preamp was Dagostino, Source was Audio Research CD9. The system had an almost complete lack of bass slam.
    Is this a report from a hifi show??

Thanks , Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Caribbean Distributor of

Great looking system Nelson!

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

++

Any more detailed impressions in the meantime?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by dfwmediagroup View Post
    How do you know it wasn't the set-up?
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

If you were doing a multi channel set up is there an amp that mate's up?

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    If you were doing a multi channel set up is there an amp that mate's up?
    Yep!

http://dandagostino.com/products-master-power-3.php [3 channel]
    http://dandagostino.com/products-master-power-2.php [2 channel]

Those can be put away in a rack/closet, and have easy HT integration.

cheers,
    alex

Yep!

http://dandagostino.com/products-master-power-3.php [3 channel]
    http://dandagostino.com/products-master-power-2.php [2 channel]

Those can be put away in a rack/closet, and have easy HT integration.

cheers,
    alex
    Not sure this works from a realestate or monetary issue. I need to drive 11 channels.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team