Paul

Re: 802 d3

Geez.... no love for B&W here !
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Yes a lot of love. Nice unpacking pics but I was hoping for a sound check

I still think my D2's are better looking but I have to admit that they are growing on me after seeing your photos.
    Hans

Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3 /alternatively JM Lab Point Source Aria 5 (self modified)/ 2x SVS 3000 SB, Audionet AMP (2x), dCS Bartók used as streamer / DAC / preamp, Pro-Ject RPM 9 with Speedbox S and Orthofon MC Vivo Blue, KEF LS50 Nocturne / Sunfire Atmos(kitchen). Patio: Bluesound Node 2i and Focal CMS50.
    RoonServer on Nucleus.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Quote Originally Posted by Glareskin View Post
    Yes a lot of love. Nice unpacking pics but I was hoping for a sound check

I still think my D2's are better looking but I have to admit that they are growing on me after seeing your photos.
    Hans, that looks like your next speaker
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

This is foreplay!
    Enjoy those gorgeous speakers !

Outstanding pictures and great looking speakers. Enjoy!
    Industry Disclosure: Owner Epiphanic Audio. Bespoke 2 channel resource in Virginia Beach VA. Dealer for darTZeel and other great brands.

I'll never understand the appeal of B/W speakers !! oops we forgot a couple of drivers, no problem just mount em on top of cabinet....
    Bryston 14bsst2.. Lamm LL2.1 ..Magnum Dynalab FT101a with Md100 mod.. Cambridge 840c, Manley Chinook, Sota Comet T/T, Grado Prestige Red 1, VPI Classic 1 Ortofon Black 2M, Avanti Allegro din/rca phono cable, Kimber Hero, KS1016 i/c Kimber Bi-focal XL speaker cable... Legacy Signature 3 SE...
    GEAUX SAINTS...

Gorgeous! In my mind, B&W finally got the design right! Absolutely love the new look. So glad they abandoned those god awful yellow drivers. The aluminum on the back is sexy as hell. First time in my audiophile life that I'm lusting after the 800s. The 803s are the ones I'd like. Sleeker than the 802s and still dig way deep.
    System 1: Matrix Element M -> Sugden A21se -> Klipsch Cornwall 3.

System 2: Matrix Element X -> Exposure 3510 -> Heco Direkt.

I want to know...where I can get a pair of those gloves! Oh; and the speakers are nice too
    CD

DAC/Pre-amp - PSAudio DsJ > Power-amp - > Speakers - PMC TwentyFive 23s

Heard them last week(fully broken in) , they look much better in person then online pictures.

Honestly not my cup of tea, (very forward sounding speakers ) Focal Sopra 2 a Much better value(with correct amp)

Dealer tried 3 different Pre and Amp combo, finally he admitted these speakers on the bright side (good dynamics) Best played at lower levels

#1 Mac C50 Pre and MAC 452 SS --- low levels ok-but mid to hi levels a very forward sounding

#2 Bryston Pre and Bryston 4b ---- good dynamics but top end was forward sounding

# 3 Ayre Pre and Ayre V-5xe ----- warm smooth light on grip (bass) top end still a hair forward

Paul - Beautiful speakers and great shots! I am sure they sound wonderful. Nothing like new speaker day, those days are very very rare and very far between, but oh what a feeling eh?

Let us know how you like them, I suspect they are sublime.
    Roon Rock | Ortofon Cadenza Black | Miyajima Zero | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro | Vivid Audio G3

Quote Originally Posted by baddog View Post
    Paul - Beautiful speakers and great shots! I am sure they sound wonderful. Nothing like new speaker day, those days are very very rare and very far between, but oh what a feeling eh?

Let us know how you like them, I suspect they are sublime.
    Thanks but it's not mine. I heard this new series sounds quite better than former generation. Love to hear them myself.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
    I want to know...where I can get a pair of those gloves! Oh; and the speakers are nice too
    Here u go

Paul

We've got 802's too :-D
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Marcin

Super Moderator

Beautiful, I bet that these sound amazing. I would LOVE to hear them.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Nice
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

THnX. Even with Audio Tekne 300B Monos (TM-8801) sound is much better than good ;-)
    Marcin

Quote Originally Posted by SoundRebels View Post
    THnX. Even with Audio Tekne 300B Monos (TM-8801) sound is much better than good ;-)

I will be auditioning a pair of 802D3's tommorow, shall post my impressions soon.
    Focal Scala V2, Accuphase DP-550, Avid Volvere, SME 309, Benz-Micro Reference Copper S, Accuphase C-37 phono pre, Tara Labs 0.8, Accuphase A-70, Accuphase C-2420 preamp

Today, I auditioned a pair of the all-new B&W 802d3 speakers. First of all, these speakers are gorgeous in person. The finish, build quality and aesthetics are unparalleled. The pair I listened to were black lacquer and that's what I would want if I ordered a pair. The first electronics we listened to were Classe C-2300 and the CP-800 preamp. The source was a Meridian 800 cd player. The first impression was of a limited soundstage and mediocre imaging. A bit bland and flat overall with laid back dynamics. Then the Bryston electronics went in and it made a huge change for the better. Better soundstage, separation and extension in the bass and treble. Bryston made the speakers more dynamic and snappy.The top end of these is smooth and the midrange has a warm tonality that is slightly forward, so soundstage depth seems a bit limited. The bass is very damped, almost to the point of being overdamped, without any real bloom. If these speakers extend down to 14hz, I couldn't hear it, so don't expect subwoofer style room shaking bass. The choice of electronics is extremely important with these speakers. They are chameleons and their character and performance change dramatically with a change of electronics. I would steer clear of tubes and look at high powered, clean solid state gear. Also, stay away from electronics that are too smooth and laid back. Pass, Bryston, Accuphase, Soulution and the like might be good choices. These speakers can play very loud and clear, similar to B&W models in the past. I personally prefer a lively, not as damped presentation with some sparkle in the treble and a full, punchy bass response. That is why I ended up with Focal. Please respond with any questions and I will do my best to answer them honestly.
    Focal Scala V2, Accuphase DP-550, Avid Volvere, SME 309, Benz-Micro Reference Copper S, Accuphase C-37 phono pre, Tara Labs 0.8, Accuphase A-70, Accuphase C-2420 preamp

Super Moderator

Thank you so much for your thoughts.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I think is a matter of personal taste.
    For me, I prefer this style than the old model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Caribbean Distributor of
    ARC / Sonus Faber / Wadia / Wilson / VAC / Soulution / Nordost / Shunyata / Stillpoints
    Kuzma / Focal / Resonessence Labs / ARIA / KRELL / Pro-Ject...

Audioshark

Good write up! So will we be seeing a pair in your future?

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Thanks for the writeup. As much as I will try to resist, I am pretty sure I will own a pair at some point in the next year or two.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BruceLet View Post
    Thanks for the writeup. As much as I will try to resist, I am pretty sure I will own a pair at some point in the next year or two.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Then I'm done…...

Super Moderator

Then I'm done…...
    Me too with a group buy.

NAD C 658 streamer.

They look stunning. I'm sure they sound... like B&W's. ..

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    They look stunning. I'm sure they sound... like B&W's. ..
    You would be accurate on that one. We didn't have a pair of 802d2's on hand for an A-B comparison but the basic character of B&W speakers has not been discarded for the new model. I would consider this an evolution rather than a revolution. Personally, I liked the older models, such as the 801's with the big woofer and the metal dome tweeter. I've never been able to get excited about the diamond tweeter, it sounds kind of dead to me.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Then I'm done…...
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Joe and I tell each other that we are done….all the time. Sometimes, we even believe it.

Someone posted on AGon that these are the best B&W speakers he ever heard. They look great, THAT I can say for sure.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Someone posted on AGon that these are the best B&W speakers he ever heard. They look great, THAT I can say for sure.
    I have to agree with Him. ;-)
    Marcin

Audioshark

I can't wait to hear these. The looks are growing on me - fast. And I still remember my 801F's very fondly.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I can't wait to hear these. The looks are growing on me - fast. And I still remember my 801F's very fondly.

I really like the looks too. It's just that the sound didn't blow me away. I would wait for the Sopra 3. : )

I got to see and hear them last week. The bookshelf and the 803 floor standing speaker. Both were great with a very open mid range. The top end had a vibrancy and energy to it that was very impressive. My only criticism was that I found female vocals slightly sibilant. It was hooked up to Classe electronics.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hiro100 View Post
    I got to see and hear them last week. The bookshelf and the 803 floor standing speaker. Both were great with a very open mid range. The top end had a vibrancy and energy to it that was very impressive. My only criticism was that I found female vocals slightly sibilant. It was hooked up to Classe electronics.
    I am very sensitive to sibilance. Any hint and I'd be out. Thank you for your thoughts.

NAD C 658 streamer.

On Monday we've replaced Audio Tekne separates by Pass INT-250 :-D

Marcin

Better? / Worse? / Just Different?

Inquiring minds want to know.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    Better? / Worse? / Just Different?

Inquiring minds want to know.
    Extremely different ;-) With Audio Tekne TFA-9501 pre + 2xTM-8801 power amps (300B in Push-pull mode) sound was very esoteric and crispy, with a little uncontrolled bas.It's nothing wrong if You're remember that Audio Tekne amps are only 17W. Pass INT-250 changed the scale, impact and micro/macro dynamics and woke up the beasts inside of Bowers. Maybe this replacement loose some finesse of trebles, but for me combination with Pass is more universal.
    Marcin

For now only Polish version of B&W802D3 review

Marcin

[QUOTE=SoundRebels;148133]For now only Polish version of B&W802D3 review

And if you can take away any impressions from the English translation of that, let me know.

Great pics in the thread.

Been a fan of the B&W 800 series for a number of years and own 5 of the previous series, 800D2's (L/R), 802D2's (SL/SR) and HTM2D2. I haven't heard or seen the new D3 series in the flesh yet but from all the pics I have seen and even videos I definitely do not like the new look and what is up with the funny looking little grilles The new asethitics are a big turn off unfortunately, well particularly the 803's, 802's and 800's as rumor is they'll look just like the 802/803 with the 10" drivers, no longer anything to differentiate them like the big plinth of the older series. I think I could easliy live with the 805D3, 804D3 and HTM2D3 as the overall asethetic design is very similar to the outgoing D2 series. I don't get the HTM1D3, same size cabinet as the HTM2D2 but with larger 8" drivers crammed in there to get up to 500 watts to match the 802. Seems to me it would have been better with a larger cabinet but hey I'm no engineer and the new cabinet designs are much more rigid so I guess that allows it. I'm not sure I like the curved front and flat back (prefer the HTM2D2 style of flat front, curved back) but could probably live with it.

Hello Marcin,

the Pass XA100.8 are enuogh for the 802/803d3 ? for me yes but maybe you have tested this combo!

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by db33 View Post
    Hello Marcin,

the Pass XA100.8 are enuogh for the 802/803d3 ? for me yes but maybe you have tested this combo!

thank you
    For XA100.8 all B&W800D3 series are piece of cake, so don't worry.
    Marcin

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Hans, that looks like your next speaker
    I wasn't looking for new speakers Mark. But now I have heard them and they sound awesome! The price has almost doubled by the way :-(

The Belgian high-end audio dealer Alpha in Brasschaat (Antwerpen) is organizing a shootout between my D2's and the new D3's. I am afraid to go there.....

Hans

Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3 /alternatively JM Lab Point Source Aria 5 (self modified)/ 2x SVS 3000 SB, Audionet AMP (2x), dCS Bartók used as streamer / DAC / preamp, Pro-Ject RPM 9 with Speedbox S and Orthofon MC Vivo Blue, KEF LS50 Nocturne / Sunfire Atmos(kitchen). Patio: Bluesound Node 2i and Focal CMS50.
    RoonServer on Nucleus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

802 d3