Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 802 d3

Re: 802 d3

Quote Originally Posted by dfwmediagroup View Post
    I really like the looks too. It's just that the sound didn't blow me away. I would wait for the Sopra 3. : )
    Sorry but I don't understand why you say that. I was on an audio show in the Netherlands a few weeks ago and at the same show the French Focal people were demoing the Sopra 2 and the British B&W people the 802D3. It was simply no comparison! The 802 D3 is the closest to reality I have ever experienced (next to the Magico Ultimate 3 in Munich 2014).
    Really deep and punchy bass, nothing like you describe in your post. And the 3d imaging is one of a kind. This was not only my impression but everybody who attended agreed on that. The speakers were easily capable of filling a large room without sub and they just used the standard B&W setup with Classé amplification. The source was a Linn Akurate.

B&W's John Dibbs is demoing the new 802 D3 at the iEar audio show on the "Rosep Estate" in Oisterwijk, The Netherlands.
    Hans

Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3 /alternatively JM Lab Point Source Aria 5 (self modified)/ 2x SVS 3000 SB, Audionet AMP (2x), dCS Bartók used as streamer / DAC / preamp, Pro-Ject RPM 9 with Speedbox S and Orthofon MC Vivo Blue, KEF LS50 Nocturne / Sunfire Atmos(kitchen). Patio: Bluesound Node 2i and Focal CMS50.
    RoonServer on Nucleus.

Hoi Hans,
    I had the 802d2 ..now Wilson Sasha2.....

The B&W802d2 was / is a great speaker but vs the Sasha2 dont can play..... Wilson is better...no way..

The new D3 800series is very amazing. I had too the Classe Ampli (SSP800-CA2300-CA3200) but now I love the 2 channel stereo system: Passlabs is in my setting.
    replace the Sasha2 with a B&W802/803d3 is in my mind....

I had too the Raidho C3.1 but the new B&W D3 is soooo natural, neutral no analitic sound very great.

You will change the 802D2 with the ew 803/802D3?

always with the Audionet as amplification?

thank you for reply.

Alvasr bedankt,
    Met vr.gr.
    OL

Not sure OL. Actually I was not looking to replace speakers as my sound at home is really top notch. Only rarely I hear something that is really making me think it is better. And definitely not the Focal Sopra (bear in mind that I am a Focal /JMLab fan from the first hour) or not even the KEF Muon. Anyhow I am happy with my sound at home and the new 802 is a lot of money!! But surely they are better. Maybe I will visit the shootout in Belgium even though I might be in deep trouble if I do...
    No way I will replace the Audionet AMP's.
    Hans

Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3 /alternatively JM Lab Point Source Aria 5 (self modified)/ 2x SVS 3000 SB, Audionet AMP (2x), dCS Bartók used as streamer / DAC / preamp, Pro-Ject RPM 9 with Speedbox S and Orthofon MC Vivo Blue, KEF LS50 Nocturne / Sunfire Atmos(kitchen). Patio: Bluesound Node 2i and Focal CMS50.
    RoonServer on Nucleus.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Quote Originally Posted by Glareskin View Post
    I wasn't looking for new speakers Mark. But now I have heard them and they sound awesome! The price has almost doubled by the way :-(

The Belgian high-end audio dealer Alpha in Brasschaat (Antwerpen) is organizing a shootout between my D2's and the new D3's. I am afraid to go there.....

Hans, I just read the review in Hi Fi News, they LOVED them. I'm guessing that your doomed after hearing the D3's!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

heard the 803 d3's yesterday with a devialet 200,...
    ... sure as hell won't be going down that road. speakers had 150+ hrs on them.

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post

Did you run from the room screaming Kev?
    ... I don't imagine that would be a very favorable pairing.

I've listened to many generations of 800 Series and always felt they needed very careful amplifier matching...
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    Do tell....do tell....come on.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

My D2 series sound pretty darn good with Bryston amplification if I do say so myself I've also heard the 804D2 and 802D2 with a Moon 700i integrated which was very very good as well. That was fed by a Moon 750D and Siltech 770i/l cables.
    B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2 x2, 7B-SST2 x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, Synology DS415Play NAS, Siltech 330i w/Furutech CF-601M(R)/CF-602F(R), Golden Ridge II w/Furutech CF-601M(R)/CF-602F(R) x1, Ruby Hill II w/Furutech FI-50(R)/FI-50M(R) x1, w/Furutech FI-50 NCF(R)/FI-50M NCF(R) x1, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold x1, Tonic x6, PBJ x5, Cadence x1, HD19 x2, HD19e x1, OPT-1 x1, HDSW4X1, Ixos 6003 x5, Harmony 1000, Atlantis Reference Rack 5 stand w/6th shelf, Reference A/V stand

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Do tell....do tell....come on.
    I thought that the "803 d3" with the Devialet was very average. Slightly soft presentation, with little weight or lack of presentation really. Bit like the old blanket analogy actually.

Kiwi, didn't run, but after hearing Nick Cave & the Badseeds "Red Right Hand" remember thinking, B&W,... check!!! Not my sound at all. Then again I am comparing to my sig below so a bit unfair. Just not for me thats all.

Ive heard Pretty much all the b&w speakers but the d3. Some were pretty good but not audiophile inough for my taste.
    I ended up with a pair of kharma speakers.
    I have swapped lots of times from speakers and always had the need to crowl back to

I find the older b&w more elegant than the New ones like this one.

It looks like bits and parts that were left over and used to build an New speaker.

If it was for the looks I would gow for the d2. ....

Cheers maz from Holland.

If the sound anything like the 803D's, I'll pass. No thank you.

Heard these yesterday at Overture in Wilmington. Hooked up to top end McIntosh. Enjoyed them more than my recollection of the D2. More musical but still with lots of detail. Beautiful looking and seemingly built very well. I was impressed.

Oh, and a shout out for Overture. Got a great tour of the store and the customer service was terrific. As the region I live in is an audiophile wasteland, it is nice to visit a store with great equipment and exceptional service.

Quote Originally Posted by mazzialk View Post
    Ive heard Pretty much all the b&w speakers but the d3. Some were pretty good but not audiophile inough for my taste.
    I ended up with a pair of kharma speakers.
    I have swapped lots of times from speakers and always had the need to crowl back to

I find the older b&w more elegant than the New ones like this one.

It looks like bits and parts that were left over and used to build an New speaker.

If it was for the looks I would gow for the d2. ....

Cheers maz from Holland.
    I agree with the part on the design. I actually also agree that my D2's are better looking. Nevertheless I would swap without a blink as the D3's are phenomenally sounding. One of the very best sounding speakers I have ever heard.
    Hans

RoonServer on Nucleus.

--
    Last edited by Glareskin; July 15, 2017 at 03:54 AM. Reason: double post
    Hans

RoonServer on Nucleus.

Hello,

I have ta Passlabs combo (xp20-XA100.8) -> I have sell the Wilsno Sasha2 and now I will go with the Focal Scala V2 or B&W802d3. the Focal tweeter is for my taste the best.
    I can have the Scala v2 demo for a very good price. the Scala Evo III are expensive and a Magico S3mk2 or S5 mk2 will be better.....

have listen the Paradigm Persona 9H too: they sound amazing but a compare vs the Magico S3-S5 can be a revelation.....

Sources Lumin A1 (with l.Kenneth power supply . CDAccuphase dc550 - Oppo105...)

a A70 with the pre 2420 can be too a good combo....

Thank you for your opinion.

Greetings
    o.

I was listening at one of my local dealers to some trade-in pass labs xa160.5 with b&w 800d3's demos then after they had run a couple days with trade-in b&w 800d2's. Both with an EAR 912 preamp. It got me thinking about pass labs. The combo sounded very musical and easy to listen with a variety of music.
    Kronos Sparta / Miyajima Madake / New Audio Frontiers Stradivari Phono / Taiko Extreme / Aqua Acoustics Formula XHD / Townshend Allegri Reference / New Audio Frontiers Reference 845 Mono SE / Marten Coltrane Soprano / Artesania Audio Exoteryc rack / Daiza Isolation

Super Moderator

Pass Labs makes great amps. They all have a slightly different sound in addition to having more power as you go up the line. You really need to focus on what you want and demo the ones you are interested in buying.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardA1 View Post
    I was listening at one of my local dealers to some trade-in pass labs xa160.5 with b&w 800d3's demos then after they had run a couple days with trade-in b&w 800d2's. Both with an EAR 912 preamp. It got me thinking about pass labs. The combo sounded very musical and easy to listen with a variety of music.
    Pass ampli are very good. they have a price/perfomance very great. (before i had the xa100.5 now the 100.8)

I had too the ARC ref5 but not was my prefered.....the Octave HP700 is much better. the EAR912 for what i was is a good pre but never listen with the Pass.....

now my foirst step i change the speakers...i have sold the Sasha2 and or I go with the B&W802d3 (the 800d3 are to o big?!) (living room not only for hifi 9.5meter x 5.8 meter) or the Scala V2 : berylium tweeter is for me very great.

Magico S5mk2 is a good speaker but the priceis really overpriced! I lhave listen the Paradigm Persona 9H: they are amazing, sound stunning!!!

I was on a big Top HiFI exhibition in Brussels 4 months ago. I took time to listen to all the brands, studio by studio. Only one system was obviously far above all the rest: B&W 803D3 on Ayre.
    Bought an Accuphase A75 to power them. One important point is to pay attention to the other end of the suite: your sources. Hi Res Audio makes a real difference on such an outstanding system. I chose QOBUZ as Hi Res streaming service. It sounds GREAT !

Photo 17-01-2019, 21 28 35.jpg
    Photo 23-01-2019, 22 03 01.jpg
    Photo 18-01-2019, 10 04 27.jpg

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Welcome to the Forum
    Flemming

Lumin X1
    Rotel Michi S5
    Focus Audio FS788

Inter connect : Nordost Tyr 2 ( 2 Meter )
    LS cable : Yter
    Power Cables : Nordost Frey 2 ( 2 Meter )
    Nordost QB8
    Fibercable for feeding the Lumin X1
    Rack : Finite Elemente Pagode

Yes welcome

Audioshark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

802 in prestige finish looks gorgeous!

I wish they made Prestige an option for the 800D3!
    i wonder why they didn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Riess View Post
    I wish they made Prestige an option for the 800D3!
    i wonder why they didn’t.
    Let's hope they expand prestige edition for all 800 series models.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

802 d3