Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

RMAF 2015 Highlights, Disappointments and Overall Impressions

I'm at the Denver airport after two days at the fest.

Among my favorites for the fest this year: (no particular order)

- Wilson/DAG/DCS...- Alexias with Wilson Subs (2) driven by DAG monos and the new stereo amp.
    - Joseph Audio - Pearl speakers with JC-1 Parasound Amps and VPI Avenger TT - beautiful presentation.
    - MSB/Quad - New Signature 5 with MSB class A amp. Very musical and transparent.
    - Magico S7 with Soulution - very impressive.
    - Focal/Naim - Small Sopra 1.0s with Naim integrated and music server
    - Avantgarde - Very musical with excellent transparency - a bit too large for the room but they sounded really good today.
    - Boulder - Sounded very musical. Their new music server looks really good and sounded nicely.
    - Vivid/Luxman/Shunyata - always a musical room
    - Cary/Totem - new music server for $5K looked good, can do PCM and DSD with lots of connectivity options...sounded quite good

Also saw some really good and affordable products: (there where a number of rooms with affordable systems based on price ranges - did not visit them - but clearly the industry is trying to focus on entry and affordable systems)

- Spatial speakers for approx $1200 pair
    - Elac speakers for $279 each
    - Mundorf mini monitors for $1500 pair

I haven't been a traditional fan of the large Focals. Today they sounded better to me than in the past - thx Mike!

Also, the new line of YG speakers has improved quite a bit. The best to my ears was the Rowland room - but not across all music material (not consistent to me).

A lot of the rooms were being overpowered with large speakers - Gamut, Bricasti - Tidal, Harbeth 40.2s, ARC w Vandy 4s.

I skipped the can jam although there were quite a few product introductions.

Great to have seen many Shark and audio friends!

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Audioshark

Post your RMAF 2015 feedback here.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: RMAF 2015 Highlights, Disappointments and Overall Impressions

I'm at the Denver airport after two days at the fest.

Among my favorites for the fest this year: (no particular order)

- Wilson/DAG/DCS...- Alexias with Wilson Subs (2) driven by DAG monos and the new stereo amp.
    - Joseph Audio - Pearl speakers with JC-1 Parasound Amps and VPI Avenger TT - beautiful presentation.
    - MSB/Quad - New Signature 5 with MSB class A amp. Very musical and transparent.
    - Magico S7 with Soulution - very impressive.
    - Focal/Naim - Small Sopra 1.0s with Naim integrated and music server
    - Avantgarde - Very musical with excellent transparency - a bit too large for the room but they sounded really good today.
    - Boulder - Sounded very musical. Their new music server looks really good and sounded nicely.
    - Vivid/Luxman/Shunyata - always a musical room
    - Cary/Totem - new music server for $5K looked good, can do PCM and DSD with lots of connectivity options...sounded quite good

Also saw some really good and affordable products: (there where a number of rooms with affordable systems based on price ranges - did not visit them - but clearly the industry is trying to focus on entry and affordable systems)

- Spatial speakers for approx $1200 pair
    - Elac speakers for $279 each
    - Mundorf mini monitors for $1500 pair

I haven't been a traditional fan of the large Focals. Today they sounded better to me than in the past - thx Mike!

Also, the new line of YG speakers has improved quite a bit. The best to my ears was the Rowland room - but not across all music material (not consistent to me).

A lot of the rooms were being overpowered with large speakers - Gamut, Bricasti - Tidal, Harbeth 40.2s, ARC w Vandy 4s.

I skipped the can jam although there were quite a few product introductions.

Great to have seen many Shark and audio friends!

Mike

Think I posted my favs on another thread, but here goes:

- Kharma/Zesto room: dynamic, great soundstaging, least fatigue
    - YG Acoustics Sonja 1.2, Audionet, Kronos: this room was jaw dropping good, especially on certain tracks. I wanted to take this and the Kharma room as is home with me!
    - YG Acoustics/Rowland Daemon: wonderful synergy between the two
    - Alexias/Dag room: I wish this combo sounded as good in my room, I'd still have it. Not the last word in resolution but very involving!
    - Sopra 1 and 2s: very beautiful and impressive speakers. Play way bigger than you would think. Very involving sound. The Sopra 1 setup was gorgeous!
    - Magico S7 - I loved this room, loved what they can do, but I do think they sounded a tad better at the Magico factory dedicated listening room (duh). Wish Alon had vinyl in this room!

Allen

Allen - Agree with you on the Zesto as well. I forgot to add it. The Zesto gear looks great and sounds very musical.

Mike

Really appreciate the feedback from those that visited RMAF. Wondering if anyone had new music highlights as well. I find i usually leave shows with a list of lps that i'll be looking for.

"I haven't been a traditional fan of the large Focals. Today they sounded better to me than in the past"

Agree as product line, every Focal room sounded good, job well done.

"Also, the new line of YG speakers has improved quite a bit. The best to my ears was the Rowland room - but not across all music material (not consistent to me)."

Another brand that did well at the show, I heard so much good about the Rowland YG room but it was least favourite of the three. Sounds like you are right about inconsistency Mike, maybe I should have returned for a another listen or stayed in the room longer. I did this room on day two as I missed the entire 2nd floor on Friday. Saturday my head was just not into it, could have been that too. But a very good showing for this brand at the show.

I'm Biased but I loved the Magico S7's and the big Soulution amps, my fav of the show for sure. And yes Allen, a shame there was no vinyl being played in that room. Maybe that would have pushed you know who into admitting how great these speakers are! I guess that will have to come in my room at TAVES with the big Kronos as the source and Tenor electronics.

As for
    disappointments - I would rather be PC and keep my lips zippered up!

Acoustical Systems, AMG, Aqua Acoustic Quality, Audeze, Audio Desk, Audible illusions, Audioquest, Aurender, Bryston, CH Precision, Chord Electronics, Constellation Audio, Dynaudiol, Fyne Audio, Grado labs, Ikeda, JL Audio, Kondo, Kronos, Kubala Sosna, Lumin, Luxman, Lyra, Magico, Nordost, PS Audio, Roon, Shunyata, SME, Sugden, Tenor, Tannoy, Vertere, VPI and ZYX.

www.audiobymarkjones.ca

Mark,

Agree with you in that Focal had a very good showing at the Fest.

Regarding the YGs, this is my perspective on the three systems I heard:

- YG and Audionet - Sounded a bit sterile. I could not engage - no toe tapping.
    - YG and PS Audio - Much better but felt I needed to stand in order to hear some of the high frequency detail - even though the speakers had been set up to lean forward, the tweeters are too high.
    - YG and Rowland - Depending on the music, this setup was a bit more engaging than the other two.

I want to stress, as others have previously commented, these opinions are very personal. Clearly, a lot of engineering has gone in the development of the YGs. They are build with exceptional quality.

Thx!

Mike

I should have given the Rowland room another listen based on what I heard from everyone. Shows are tough place sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acoustical Systems, AMG, Aqua Acoustic Quality, Audeze, Audio Desk, Audible illusions, Audioquest, Aurender, Bryston, CH Precision, Chord Electronics, Constellation Audio, Dynaudiol, Fyne Audio, Grado labs, Ikeda, JL Audio, Kondo, Kronos, Kubala Sosna, Lumin, Luxman, Lyra, Magico, Nordost, PS Audio, Roon, Shunyata, SME, Sugden, Tenor, Tannoy, Vertere, VPI and ZYX.

www.audiobymarkjones.ca

Audioshark

Best System over $100,000

This is a tie between the Focal Stella Utopia/Soulution room and the Focal Grande Utopia/VAC room.

The Focal Stella Utopia’s powered by a Soulution 711/725/760 combo had dynamics, dead quiet backgrounds and unmatched speed to create an overall realism that was very impressive.

The Focal Grande Utopia’s with the VAC Signature 200 monos (four amps biamped) was simply awesome. The realistic tonality and richness was very palatable. There is simply nothing grander than the Grande’s.

Best System under $100,000

This is a tie between the Avantgarde Duo Mezzo XD’s with the Avantgarde integrated and the Bergman turntable and the Joseph Audio Perl 3/Parasound JC1’s/VPI Avenger TT.

Runner up would be the Quad 2912 with MSB amps/preamp/DAC. The big Quad’s have the best midrange in the business. You won’t hear piano produced any better. Period.

Best Bookshelf Speaker

Another easy one. The Focal Sopra 1’s paired with the NAIM integrated was musically awesome. There is something special about a great two way speaker. I heard no other stand mount speaker that sounded better. The Sopra 2’s are great, but so are the Sopra 1’s.

Most Significant New Product

Tie between the new VAC Signature 200’s and the Avantgarde Zero 1's.

The new VAC amps take a 111 year old technology to a whole new level. With autobiasing, you can use any KT tube type. Just pop it in and the amp’s autobiasing circuitry will adjust to suit the tube type. KT88’s? No problem. KT90’s? Bring it on. Want to try those new KT150’s? Have at it!

The Zero 1's are maybe not "new" per say, but they were new for a lot of folks who had not heard them before. The XD series will be expanding on the already great Zero 1's and taking them to a whole new level with proper room integration. If "all-in-one" speakers are going to attract a new audience, the Zero 1's are a must audition.

Best Digital

This was a tough one. I had made comments to many folks that this year’s RMAF was a Digital Disappointment. Of course we had the blue chip players like Lumin, Aurender, Bricasti, Lampizator and others. But I didn’t hear any new DAC that just blew me away with the exception of the Soulution 760. In fact, in every single case, the vinyl in the rooms was better. The Soulution 760 was the new kid on the block and it didn’t fail to disappoint.

Best Analog Over $30,000

Kronos. Next question?

Best Analog Under $30,000

VPI Avenger. Easily.

Best New Product

Avantgarde Duo Mezzo XD’s. In a standard hotel room, and especially with Vinyl played on the Bergman table, the new XD Duo’s from Avantgarde were on many folks “best of show” shortlist. Thank goodness they are coming home with me.

Biggest Disappointments

The $1 million Martin Logan surround system. The surround/4 channel is just weird to me. Didn't have that "live, I am there" feeling. Sounded recorded and processed.

JBL’s.

Having Salon 2's in the room with the new Mark Levinson amps and NOT hooking them up! I really wanted to hear this combo.

There were others, but for the sake of being PC, I will say no more!

Best Speaker under $2000

Tie between the ELAC speakers, Spatial M4’s and the Mundorf speakers.

What tugged at my heart strings?

Every time I hear the new Quad’s, I fall in love all over again.

Best Tube System

VAC Signature 200’s. Easy.

Best Solid State System

Soulution 711/720/760. Soulution amps seem to make almost any speaker sound great!

Runner up: Parasound JC1’s and Rowland Super Integrated.

Consistently Consistent

One of the things I noticed was there were a few products, that regardless of what they were paired with, they sounded great. These included:

Focal Speakers
    YG Speakers
    Rowland Electronics
    Parasound JC1’s
    VPI tables

Honorable mention to Volti Audio. Greg’s speakers always sound great – show in – show out.

But Mike, what about the Magico S7’s?

I think Magico fans will be very pleased with the consistent evolution in the S series. The S7’s are quite a bit better than the S5’s….frankly, I was surprised at how much of an “evolution” they were. The separate midrange enclosure and new tweeter I think play a large part in this. But let’s not discount the role of electronics. I’ve heard Soulution with Magico several times now and it’s truly a great pairing.

But Mike, what about the Vapor Audio/Lampi/Resolution Acoustics room?

Like a lot of rooms, the boys had some initial challenges. But once they got things dialed in, this room by Sunday was one of the best. The Vapor speakers are BIG BIG BIG and tall – very tall - and due to the tweeter height, I found you need to sit a little bit back from the front row to really appreciate their sound. These are speakers for a relatively big room (10 x 10’s need not apply). On Sunday, I was loving the Rowland amp on the Vapor speakers with the Lampizator DAC providing the sweet sounding source. The treatments from Resolution Acoustics brought everything together and unlike some of the rooms, nothing stood out (in a bad way)…like bass bloat.

The Vapor/Lampi/Resolution Acoustics room to me represents the future of high end audio. Ryan, Lukasz and Bart are not only three bright guys, but three risk takers. Three that have pushed their respective areas further with innovative new ideas. Well done guys!

Overall Best of Show Winner

Putting my bias for my own Avantgarde Duo Mezzo XD speakers aside, I would have to say the Focal Stella Utopia’s/Soulution 711/725/760/Transrotor room. The massive scale, impact, deadly black backgrounds, dynamics and so on were just spell binding.

General Show Observations

I’m not sure whether attendance was up or down this year, but Friday and Saturday were very busy days. Anyone who made a good attempt to get into some of the more popular rooms know!

I found more consistently “good” sounding rooms, then in past years. There were many rooms I really enjoyed – from the awesomeness of the Focal/Soulution room to the sheer musicality of the VAC/Focal room to the consistent toe tapping in the ”Joseph Audio Perl 3 room to the Focal Sopra No. 1/NAIM – “why does anyone need anything more?” room.

There were many pleasant surprises as well. The Zesto/Kharma room for example had a very liquid sound. Another would be listening to Pink Floyd and Allman Brothers on my Avantgarde Duo Mezzo XD’s – I swore I was there – they are so “live”, so dynamic, with none of the horn downside to those little Mundorf speakers.

I found that without exception, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, vinyl in every room sounded better than when they played digital on the same system.

But most importantly, RMAF is not just about the rooms or the gear, it’s about the people. Meeting and hanging with the guys here on Audioshark, meeting industry folks and meeting new people.

A great time!

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Mike,

Thanks for all of the great photos and commentary.

What model MSB amp was used on the Quads?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzie View Post
    Mike,

Thanks for all of the great photos and commentary.

What model MSB amp was used on the Quads?
    Some 200 watt per channel Class A amp.

Mike, thanks for the great coverage, really fun to read. Wish I could have been there.

What are you going to drive your Avantegarde's with?
    Speakers: Magico M-Project w/MPods
    Amps: CAT Legend -> CAT JL7s
    Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / Black Beauty tonearm / Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95
    Digital: Roon->Vivaldi DAC/Upsampler
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna Elation ICs & SCs / Shunyata Denali 6000T & PC's / Furutech outlets

Thanks for sharing all the photos Mike.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by madfloyd View Post
    Mike, thanks for the great coverage, really fun to read. Wish I could have been there.

What are you going to drive your Avantegarde's with?
    Thanks Ian. It was a lot of fun this year.

I'm going to want to try a few things. But the Air Tight 300b is on my mind. Pass XS could be amazing too.

Mike, what about the T+A P 3000 HV & A 3000 HV w/ PS 3000 HV? I know you love your PDP. Have you tried the preamp and amp yet?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by matt_zak View Post
    Mike, what about the T+A P 3000 HV & A 3000 HV w/ PS 3000 HV? I know you love your PDP. Have you tried the preamp and amp yet?
    I've heard them many times and I want them BAD! They have this "just right" sound and build quality that rivals anything out there.

Great coverage Mike and Allen. Thank you.

It's a lot of work and it's very appreciated.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

The VPI Avenger was in about 7 different setups, it was absolutely amazing in every room that I heard it in

I think I will have to have one
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

My biggest disappointment was how many rooms were playing sound effects and not music. For example, it took 3 times visiting the Wilson/D'Agostino room to hear them play music. It sounded really good with music playing instead of the first 2 times that it sounded like crap. I don't mean to pick on them, most rooms that weren't playing music I just didn't go back - I wrote them off as having bad sound. Its a shame really.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    My biggest disappointment was how many rooms were playing sound effects and not music. For example, it took 3 times visiting the Wilson/D'Agostino room to hear them play music. It sounded really good with music playing instead of the first 2 times that it sounded like crap. I don't mean to pick on them, most rooms that weren't playing music I just didn't go back - I wrote them off as having bad sound. Its a shame really.
    Sound effects? to show off the subs?
    Speakers: Magico M-Project w/MPods
    Amps: CAT Legend -> CAT JL7s
    Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / Black Beauty tonearm / Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95
    Digital: Roon->Vivaldi DAC/Upsampler
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna Elation ICs & SCs / Shunyata Denali 6000T & PC's / Furutech outlets

Sound effects are my words - technically it probably would be music in the extreme Jazz Fusion category. Which has its place but not in a demo. IMO
    Jock

---------

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    Jock - Mike and I visited the Wilson/DAG room yesterday morning. The music played by Peter while classical pieces sounded terrific. Extremely musical. Very coherent, excellent depth and impact. We should have stayed a little longer to hear some jazz and rock.

Mike

This was my first RMAF and I'm glad that I went. I've enjoyed two Axpona's and one CES so far.

One or two rooms were playing different combinations of components thru the same speakers. You can tell the the room is onto something when people don't leave.

In one room they would play combination X, then Y and then Z. People would come and go during X with many empty seats. Some would linger during Y. When they got to Z it was standing room only without a prayer of finding an open seat. Some of the people had no idea which of the components were playing. They just kew that they were hearing music.
    Le Roy

Austin, Tx : Soulution 520 preamp, 501 mono blocks, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D3.1, Lumin U1, Uptone Audio Modded Mac Mini w/ MMK fanless kit & JS-2 LPS, Regen, Ansuz DTC loom (complete), Oppo 105D, QNAP TS-451+

Chicagoland : Soulution 725 preamp, 711 stereo amp, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D5.1, Naim UnitiServe 2TB, Aurender W-20 Ansuz DTC later generation wire, Teac X1000 R2R, QNAP TS-451+

Foundation:
    Raidho Rack system, Ansuz DTC Mainz8, Ansuz (2) Supreme Mainz D8 Distribution, 20 amp dedicated outlets via subpanel

In general it was a pretty ho-hum RMAF this year. Having skipped last year after attending several in a row so I was hoping so see some new and interesting product. It was not to be. As usual there were many rooms where I just poked my head in the door and could see there were no product that might interest me.

I noticed that the sound in many rooms was actually worse than in prior years. I never remember hearing so many room overloaded with bass. Here are a few of my favorite systems.

1- The Magico S-7's over at the Hyatt. Magico set these up in the Presidential Suite. Boy would I like to have a room shaped like that in my home. The S-7's were powered by a pair of huge Soulution amps and supported by a pair of Magico's subs.s (I asked to hear the speakers with and without the subs and they were definitely not lacking for bass without the subs).

2- This one surprised me a bit. PS Audio's new amps powering large YG's. The YG's were set up in approximately the center of a large suite. I do not ever remember hearing such a deep soundstage. The violins were up close to the speakers just as they should be while the trumpets and percussion were 20 feet back against the wall. Great sound again coming from a large room.

3- The Wilson D'Agostino room was always pretty crowded. Bravo once more.

4- The Avantgarde Duo Mezzo XD’s in room 8004 showed a lot of potential for being a great speaker. Unfortunately I felt the room they were in was far too narrow and the walls became extensions of the horns and projected the sound into the listeners face. I would have like to hear them in a room similar to that which Magico and PS Audio demo'd gear.

5- Every year the Carl's Apex Audio rooms on the mezzanine are a cut above. Those Focals powered by Soulution are really nice and I love the looks of those Critical Mass racks.

6 - It is too bad you did not have the opportunity to hear the MSB Select DAC that was only on static display in the MSB room. Larry and Vince recently demo'd a pre-production version of the Select DAC at David Michael Audio paired with Quads in a much better room. At that event standard 16/44 sounded as good as any hi-rez I have heard. Unfortunately I am not in the market for a $90k DAC.

In the past I don't remember such boring music used to demo gear. I was only introduced to one new artist this year. In the Martin Logan/ Kimber / EMM room a young lady asked if they would play a track off her iPhone. Torun Eriksen "Visits" has some nice tracks.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    Jock - Mike and I visited the Wilson/DAG room yesterday morning. The music played by Peter while classical pieces sounded terrific. Extremely musical. Very coherent, excellent depth and impact. We should have stayed a little longer to hear some jazz and rock.
    I agree. The Dag/Wilson combo was awesome. Like Mike, I would have liked to have heard some Jazz and Rock.

I think those running the rooms should play a variety of music and not just what they want to hear. If manufacturers want to appeal to a younger audience, playing a boring piece of classical music isn't going to do it.

I think a lot of manufacturers could take a page from the Zu folks. They played a variety of music (from Marvin Gaye to Daft Punk). Their room was "hip and happening", no stuffy old guys suggesting we drink a 95 Merlot with this particular violin concerto. Hell, the Zu folks had a blender to make drinks! They held after hour parties and their rooms were jamming.

Just my two cents...

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
    This was my first RMAF and I'm glad that I went. I've enjoyed two Axpona's and one CES so far.

One or two rooms were playing different combinations of components thru the same speakers. You can tell the the room is onto something when people don't leave.

In one room they would play combination X, then Y and then Z. People would come and go during X with many empty seats. Some would linger during Y. When they got to Z it was standing room only without a prayer of finding an open seat. Some of the people had no idea which of the components were playing. They just kew that they were hearing music.
    Hi Le Roy - it was great to finally meet you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Hi Le Roy - it was great to finally meet you!
    Mike, it was great to meet you in the flesh too!
    Le Roy

Austin, Tx : Soulution 520 preamp, 501 mono blocks, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D3.1, Lumin U1, Uptone Audio Modded Mac Mini w/ MMK fanless kit & JS-2 LPS, Regen, Ansuz DTC loom (complete), Oppo 105D, QNAP TS-451+

Chicagoland : Soulution 725 preamp, 711 stereo amp, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D5.1, Naim UnitiServe 2TB, Aurender W-20 Ansuz DTC later generation wire, Teac X1000 R2R, QNAP TS-451+

Foundation:
    Raidho Rack system, Ansuz DTC Mainz8, Ansuz (2) Supreme Mainz D8 Distribution, 20 amp dedicated outlets via subpanel

I also would like to thank Mike and Mike for co-ordinating the dinner on Friday evening. It was great to have the opportunity to meet and spend the evening together. Other obligations prevented me from attending Saturday where we could have compared notes. Thanks guys.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

It was great meeting you Jim and Le Roy! Great to put faces to names!

Jim, how's the Riva box working at home? I forgot to go back and get one! I'll email them and see if they'll offer the same RMAF price.

Allen

mauidan

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    The VPI Avenger was in about 7 different setups, it was absolutely amazing in every room that I heard it in

I think I will have to have one
    Here you go:

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/rmaf2015/rmaf2015_vpi.htm

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mauidan View Post
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Gorgeous!

Super Moderator

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Did any room have an Avenger and HRX together (for comparison)? I'm close to buying a Feickert table, but must admit the Avenger has piqued my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    It was great meeting you Jim and Le Roy! Great to put faces to names!
    Yes Allen, it was nice to be introduced to you thru Tim Marutani. Seems like there is one degree of separation in the high end audio world!
    Le Roy

Foundation:

Audioshark

Some very interesting comments here: http://www.stereophile.com/content/day-2-sasha-matson

NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team