Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Kef Reference 5

Kef Reference 5

Just curious.......Has anyone heard them?
    They are on my list to hear. I will be changing my speakers soon.
    kefffffff.jpg
    Main System:Mcintosh MC601's Amplifer,Mcintosh C1000/C1000T Preamp,Kef Ref 5 Speakers,Mcintosh MCD1100 CDP,Mcintosh MT 5 TT, Olive 04HD, Acoustic Zen Absolute Shotgun Cables,4 ELECTRA™ 7 Power Cords&2 Pairs of
    ECLIPSE 7 (EBI) XLR's, Consonance D-Linear 15 Ultra Reference Power Conditioner/Surge Protector, SolidTech "Rack of Silence"Reference 4 Audio Stand.

Re: Kef Reference 5

Haven't heard the Reference Fives, but did audition the Ones and Threes. They are impeccably finished, particularly the gloss rosewood finish is absolutely stunning in its appearance. The gloss finish is so deep it almost looks as if there's a layer of glass on top of the wood. They image superbly as do all of the KEF Uni-Q designs, with less of a need to stay in the sweet spot than most other speakers while still maintaining a convincing soundstage. Naturally the Fives would have the best bass extension making it more of a full range speaker. The midrange is reproduced very well, being natural sounding and transparent to the source. The only thing I can't get past with them is a bit of a metallic or mechanical nature to their high frequency performance. It seems to be something I'm particularly sensitive to, since many people just rave about their detail. I prefer a smoother and more 'natural' sounding high end rather than the more analytical balance than I perceive the KEFs to have. Another way I'd describe it is having a bit of graininess to the highs instead of a more liquid sound. I've heard other speakers that have greater high end extension yet sound smoother and more musically balanced to me. Of course system matching comes into play here, so you should try to audition a pair with your electronics to form your own impressions. Unfortunately I find it usually comes down to individual preferences and which trade-offs we're willing to accept in any design. Hope this helps, and good luck in your search!

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    Haven't heard the Reference Fives, but did audition the Ones and Threes. They are impeccably finished, particularly the gloss rosewood finish is absolutely stunning in its appearance. The gloss finish is so deep it almost looks as if there's a layer of glass on top of the wood. They image superbly as do all of the KEF Uni-Q designs, with less of a need to stay in the sweet spot than most other speakers while still maintaining a convincing soundstage. Naturally the Fives would have the best bass extension making it more of a full range speaker. The midrange is reproduced very well, being natural sounding and transparent to the source. The only thing I can't get past with them is a bit of a metallic or mechanical nature to their high frequency performance. It seems to be something I'm particularly sensitive to, since many people just rave about their detail. I prefer a smoother and more 'natural' sounding high end rather than the more analytical balance than I perceive the KEFs to have. Another way I'd describe it is having a bit of graininess to the highs instead of a more liquid sound. I've heard other speakers that have greater high end extension yet sound smoother and more musically balanced to me. Of course system matching comes into play here, so you should try to audition a pair with your electronics to form your own impressions. Unfortunately I find it usually comes down to individual preferences and which trade-offs we're willing to accept in any design. Hope this helps, and good luck in your search!

Excellent! Thank you very much............helped indeed!.................I used to have the Ref Kef 207/2's and loved them..........I just wonder if the new Ref 5's are on par?
    Main System:Mcintosh MC601's Amplifer,Mcintosh C1000/C1000T Preamp,Kef Ref 5 Speakers,Mcintosh MCD1100 CDP,Mcintosh MT 5 TT, Olive 04HD, Acoustic Zen Absolute Shotgun Cables,4 ELECTRA™ 7 Power Cords&2 Pairs of
    ECLIPSE 7 (EBI) XLR's, Consonance D-Linear 15 Ultra Reference Power Conditioner/Surge Protector, SolidTech "Rack of Silence"Reference 4 Audio Stand.

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    I have 1s, and have heard Blade IIs (as well as some of the lower lines). While I don't agree with Bill, about a "metallic" sound, or graininess; I will say this. My guess is...Bill is a big soft-dome fan

Me too...and I've owned many speakers, that incorporated good ones. Perhaps Dynaudio's legendary Esotar2, being among the best. When I went from Contour S1.4s, to Confidence C1 Signatures; the very first thing that struck me, and dramatically...was how much more "air" and extension the C1 had (the main difference, IMO...between the 2 speakers; being an Esotec tweeter on the Contour, and Esotar2 on the Confidence). You would think, with more air...more extension; comes the risk for stridency and fatigue. NEVER; things stayed smooth as silk.

The Uni-Q...with its Aluminum Dome...is not going to sound quite like that; as "refined" and "smooth". But not everyone likes that "relaxed" presentation either; and it's far from, IMO...metallic and/or mechanical.

Bill is right; system matching is crucial though. Even though I am dangling my 1s for sale; it is not because they're not great. I'd recommend 3s or 5s...with the aforementioned caveats.
    CD

DAC/Pre-amp - PSAudio DsJ > Power-amp - > Speakers - PMC TwentyFive 23s

Chris - you make some excellent points! I do prefer the sound of some soft domes like the Esotars, but also great ribbons like those on the Magnepan 3.7i. I don't hear the same shortcoming with those that I do with the KEF's. I've also heard some superb metal domes but they're generally not aluminum, either titanium or beryllium. And some of those can be too 'hot' sounding to me unless they're combined with an amp that is softer or rolled off in the highs.

Quote Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
    The Uni-Q...with its Aluminum Dome...is not going to sound quite like that; as "refined" and "smooth". But not everyone likes that "relaxed" presentation either; and it's far from, IMO...metallic and/or mechanical.
    From what I've seen on the Q100 and Q900, the problem isn't KEF's Al tweeter, it's the midrange breakup not being suppressed enough. This could lead to coloration or harshness in the treble. It would be a shame if KEF made the same mistake in their Reference Series.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-q900-loudspeaker-measurements

Attached Images Attached Images

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

2 Channel: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2, Manley Mahi Monoblocks, DIY SEOS Waveguide/Dipole Bass Towers
    HT: Marantz AV7005, Wyred 4 MMC5, DIY SEOS Towers, DIY 7CF Sealed 18" Subs
    PC: Wyred 4 Sound mINT, KEF Q100, Hifiman HE-6

Face - I think that you may have hit on something there, as I notice the same quality across the KEF line including their highly respected LS50 speakers.

" coloration or harshness in the treble" is something I have never heard/associated with Kef Reference .

I have never heard the Reference series, although I would love to. I can say that "harsh" is definitely not a word I would ever associate with KEF. I have always felt they were as smooth and inviting of a sounding speaker as there ever was. My LS50 are as smooth and as transparent of a speaker as I have ever heard.

One thing that I do recall back in my earlier audiophile days is that KEF was as demanding on amplifier and other components as any speaker around. A crappy Sony, for example, would sound terrible, while a 25w McIntosh tube amp would sing. Can't say if this is still the case but it certain was part of their needs in the past.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Kef Reference 5