Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

What amp on Harbeth speakers ?

Hello Harbeth owners .

What kind of amp are you using on your lovely Harbeth speakers ?

Especially with bigger brothers . ( M40.1 or SHL5)

Please share
    Paul

Super Moderator

Re: What amp on Harbeth speakers ?

Paul,

In my opinion/experience, amps that are a little cleaner and are more open will drive the Harbeth better. The Hegel H30 on the 40.1 was superb with my GAT preamp. My ART monos absolutely killed on the 40.1. I loved my Pass XA60.5 on them too, but think the point 8 series Pass amps would be better. For very simple music, almost anything will do. My Job amps and Naim were wonderful on the 30.1. I think the Job monos on any Harbeth speaker will be awesome too. Power in the 50+ wpc range or more will be better too.

I would love a pair of Super HL5+ and the new 40.2 now. I think the "new" Harbeth sound is more to my liking.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Any competent amplifier will mate with Harbeths. I'm using a Spectral DMA260 on the M40.1. Prior to that I was using a Nagra SS stereo amp. The Harbeths will flesh out the differences in different house sounds of amplifiers.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dan31 View Post
    Any competent amplifier will mate with Harbeths. I'm using a Spectral DMA260 on the M40.1. Prior to that I was using a Nagra SS stereo amp. The Harbeths will flesh out the differences in different house sounds of amplifiers.
    Dan,

I bet Spectral on Harbeth sounds amazingly great. That's a combo I need to hear.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Thank you Joe and Dan.

Anyone try the Bryston 28B SST2 with Harbeth ? Perhaps with tube pre ?
    Paul

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Thank you Joe and Dan.

Anyone try the Bryston 28B SST2 with Harbeth ? Perhaps with tube pre ?
    I wish I had Harbeth now to try. I think it would be wonderful. I love my 28BSST2's very much.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I recently (two weeks) bought a pair of Harbeth Super HL5plus speakers for my living room system. These things are so musical, I love what I am hearing. Such a sweet sound….balanced, detailed and just so easy to listen to. Late night listening is exactly what I was looking for. I decided to go with the new Pass INT60 as my amplifier, but I have to wait for it to arrive. In the mean time, I am using an old Rega 60 watt integrated. It is doing just fine. My front end is a Lumin D1…..one of the great bargains of audio.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceLet View Post
    I recently (two weeks) bought a pair of Harbeth Super HL5plus speakers for my living room system. These things are so musical, I love what I am hearing. Such a sweet sound….balanced, detailed and just so easy to listen to. Late night listening is exactly what I was looking for. I decided to go with the new Pass INT60 as my amplifier, but I have to wait for it to arrive. In the mean time, I am using an old Rega 60 watt integrated. It is doing just fine. My front end is a Lumin D1…..one of the great bargains of audio.
    Hi Bruce. Congrats on Harbeth. Indeed its one of most musical speakers out there.

Quick question. Did you try the Dev400 with your SHL5 yet ? If so how is the sounds ?

Thanks
    Paul

Hi Bruce. Congrats on Harbeth. Indeed its one of most musical speakers out there.

Quick question. Did you try the Dev400 with your SHL5 yet ? If so how is the sounds ?

Thanks
    Hello Paul, Never tried the Devialet with the Harbeths. My Devialet is gone. I loved it, but needed the funds for this second system and it wasn't getting used in the main system since I got my Lampizator.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceLet View Post
    Hello Paul, Never tried the Devialet with the Harbeths. My Devialet is gone. I loved it, but needed the funds for this second system and it wasn't getting used in the main system since I got my Lampizator.
    Thanks Bruce. Enjoy the Harbeth and please update with us how you like with Pass int amp.
    Paul

Super Moderator

Hi Paul

I've heard Bruce's super HL5 + and love them. They weren't even broken in yet and I still love them.

I heard the D400 on my 40.1's and have to say that it's a great combination. I'd often use -1 or -2 on the bass tone controls. It helped tremendously. The strengths of the D400 really balanced out the 40.1's. Clear, clean and quiet with amazing air and separation.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

I am getting the feeling that the Super HL5+ and 40.2 represent the "new" Harbeth sound. Something maybe a little more neutral and coherent across the board. I have not heard the 40.2 yet, but if this is the case, bring it on.

To be honest, having the Strads at the same time as the 40.1 was a little tough. While I "love the one I'm with", to quote a song, the 40.1 could not compete with my beloved Strads. Everytime I went back to the Strads, I was home again. Can the 40.2 compete? I bet they could. I have no immediate plans to get the 40.2, but I will not lie, I do want them and want the Super HL5+ too.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks Joe. Good to know that DEV 400 worked well with your 40.1.

For me when I did the audition with SHL5 and SHL5 + side by side I much preferred sound of SHL5. ( more sweet and BBC monitor tradition sounds ) well as you probably know I've been a long time user for Harbeth and if the 40.2 will sounds like the SHL5 + I don't want to miss my last opportunity to purchase the M40.1

So my conclusion is if you prefer the "Modern sounds" of Harbeth go with the SHL5 + or M40.2 but if you like to hear BBC tradition sounds grab the last pair if you can. Also price increase is substantial too.
    Paul

having heard both shl5 plus, shl5 and the m40.2, the m40.2 is a different beast altogether. For me by far the best harbeth. Combines the smooth, refine highs and mids of the m30.1 + the bass of the shl5 plus + more. Sounds so effortless, full esp at low levels. Had to order one after listening to the m40.2
    Harbeths will pair well with any amps out there but my fave are the accuphase w/ the harbeths.

I've read that the new Vinnie Rossi LIO is a great match for the 40.2 as demonstrated at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest.

Here's the link:
    http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/1...fine-midrange/

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by soundslikemusic View Post
    having heard both shl5 plus, shl5 and the m40.2, the m40.2 is a different beast altogether. For me by far the best harbeth. Combines the smooth, refine highs and mids of the m30.1 + the bass of the shl5 plus + more. Sounds so effortless, full esp at low levels. Had to order one after listening to the m40.2
    Harbeths will pair well with any amps out there but my fave are the accuphase w/ the harbeths.

Wow, thank you for the update. I had the 40.1 and liked them but did not "love" them like other members/owners love them. The 40.1 were certainly capable of producing that "magic" that draws you in, but they felt heavy to me, at times. If I did not have my Strads, I'd still have the 40.1. My Strads to me kill the 40.1. The 40.2 intrigue me a lot because I love the new Super HL5+ that my friend Bruce has in his living room. Wonderful speakers. If that's the "new" Harbeth sound, I like it and think the 40.2 could be even better. I need to hear the.

Quote Originally Posted by kkfan View Post
    I've read that the new Vinnie Rossi LIO is a great match for the 40.2 as demonstrated at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest.

Here's the link:
    That was supposed to be an amazing demo. EVERYONE seemed to love it.

NAD C 658 streamer.

A Friend of mine recently bought the shl5+ and pair them with benchmark ahb2. I hope to heard the combo soon.

Super Moderator

Looking forward to your opinion. Thank you.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Here's the link:

It was spectacular, one of the best systems I've heard regardless of price.... It played all my demo tracks well, especially "A moment so close" on Bela Fleck's album Live At The Quick. This is usually a muddy mess but the Harbeth/Lio system was able to make it sound like music.
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio LLC
    zenwaveaudio.com
    "Integrity and Excellence in Audio"

I borrowed my buddies airtight ATM-211s when I had super HL5s and it was sublime, it was the best sound i got from from the harbies. the synergy is strong with Vinnie's amps because he uses them at his shop, he's gotten excellent sound at shows I've heard them at.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Wow, thank you for the update. I had the 40.1 and liked them but did not "love" them like other members/owners love them. The 40.1 were certainly capable of producing that "magic" that draws you in, but they felt heavy to me, at times.
    My experience with Harbeth speakers mirrors Joe's comment above. I've auditioned several models with various tube and solid state electronics and always found them to have a very 'heavy' tonality, with bass that is far too emphasized for my taste. When I mentioned that to the dealer they confirmed my impressions, but said that many listeners like that. To each their own!

As what Jerome mentioned. If you have a problem with bass you need a proper isolation stands such as PAB stands. The Skylan or foundation stands dont do the justice of M40s. The PAB makes day and night comparison.
    Paul

I'm not using the "big brothers" but have owned the C7ES-3 for several years. I don't think the C7s come even close in numbers of reviews for as good as they are. My Shindo Cortese SET amp was never a match, but the Devialet D200 puts them in another league. I'd recommend the D200 for any of the the Harbeth models... They are spectacular. No bass issues with the C7. I use Skylan stands.

I've not tried the Harbeth with the new WE300B.
    Bill

Shindo Giscours
    Shindo Western Electric 300b
    Shinoo Petite Latour (FC)
    AMG Viella V12 Etna (Erodion) and Teatro (Bob's Sky @ 1:20)
    Lumin S1

Devialet 200
    Aries
    Harbeth C7

Super Moderator

I agree Bill. My D400 was spectacular on my 40.1's. I really enjoyed that combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Loop4fun View Post
    I'm not using the "big brothers" but have owned the C7ES-3 for several years. I don't think the C7s come even close in numbers of reviews for as good as they are. My Shindo Cortese SET amp was never a match, but the Devialet D200 puts them in another league. I'd recommend the D200 for any of the the Harbeth models... They are spectacular. No bass issues with the C7. I use Skylan stands.

I've not tried the Harbeth with the new WE300B.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I agree Bill. My D400 was spectacular on my 40.1's. I really enjoyed that combo.
    Wish my experiment was same as you....I could save lot of money....sigh.
    Paul

Super Moderator

Wish my experiment was same as you....I could save lot of money....sigh.

Of course, tubes are better. But the D400 was really fun.

NAD C 658 streamer.

As what Jerome mentioned. If you have a problem with bass you need a proper isolation stands such as PAB stands. The Skylan or foundation stands dont do the justice of M40s. The PAB makes day and night comparison.
    Speaking of stands....This is new stands made for SHL5 ...WOW!

JTL Audio new dedicated stand
    Paul

wow.
    hifi:
    power: Audioplan Powerstar, Audioplan Finefilter, Audioplan Powerplant, Powercord
    tube amp: Jadis DA 50 Signature RC, Line Magnetic 508ia
    speaker: Living Voice Avatar 2
    turntable: Pro-Ject Xtension 10 + Ortofon Quintet Black MC
    phono stage: Remton 383 MKII
    cables: Audioplan Musicable bic 7a, Profigold, Wilbrand

home-cinema: Sony blu-ray, Yamaha rx v2700, Heco Metas 700 (4x), Heco center

Any one try the AirTight on Harbeth ? if so how did you like it and which model was it ?
    Paul

Those stands are ridiculous(ly awesome).

I once heard a Nagra / Air Tight rig powering a set of 40.1's. It was effing awesome. As I remember, the tone was beautiful (albeit warm), detail effortlessly flowed outta the speakers, and the whole "prat" thing was there for Daaayzzz. I can't speak for everybody, but to my ears, tubes and Harbeth go well together. Unless we're talking about the Compact 7's of course - which is a different animal entirely.

I'm wondering how the new Pass Labs INT-250 would sound with the 40.2? I imagine it to be a killer combination. What amp on Harbeth speakers ?

Any experiences here?

Super Moderator

Pass INT-60 is wonderful on Super HL5+.

I'm wondering how the new Pass Labs INT-250 would sound with the 40.2? I imagine it to be a killer combination. What amp on Harbeth speakers ?

Any experiences here?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Pass INT-60 is wonderful on Super HL5+.
    So I've heard.

That's why I was wondering how the bigger cousins would fare with each other. I imagine the more power the 40.2 has, the better it sings with more controlled dynamics, especially in the bass region.

Super Moderator

My gut tells me it will be great, especially with really good source.

NAD C 658 streamer.

AMR + Pass + 40.2's = Done, son!

One of the combinations that I'd love to hear is the McIntosh MA8000 on either the SLH5+'s or the 40.2's. Methinks that would be quite the combo. Who knows, maybe I can make that happen!

I never sold on any Pass gear I heard .. I tried to like it but so far ...nope.

Wonder something wrong with me LOL
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Those stands are ridiculous(ly awesome).

I once heard a Nagra / Air Tight rig powering a set of 40.1's. It was effing awesome. As I remember, the tone was beautiful (albeit warm), detail effortlessly flowed outta the speakers, and the whole "prat" thing was there for Daaayzzz. I can't speak for everybody, but to my ears, tubes and Harbeth go well together. Unless we're talking about the Compact 7's of course - which is a different animal entirely.
    What was the Nagra and Airtight model ?
    Paul

I never sold on any Pass gear I heard .. I tried to like it but so far ...nope.
    Really?
    Wonder why that is. I've only heard good stuff about Pass gear.

Did you hear any of their integrateds?

Really?
    Wonder why that is. I've only heard good stuff about Pass gear.

Did you hear any of their integrateds?
    I don't know. I do know/believe its a good product with solid background. Maybe its just not my taste. I tried/heard several amps/integrated. Didn't grab my attention somehow.
    Paul

I had diffrent amps hooked up to the shl5 and the best result came with the audionote m3 pre and the kharma mp150 mono bloks. That combo rocked and hit every note in a verry musical and satisfying way.

I even hooked the asr emitter 2 with the gigantic power reserve but the little kharma mp150 matched the best to the harbies with an AN M3 tube pre amp..

Cheers maz.

Paul - I'll say this much. You are not alone with regards to Pass. I like the company. I even like the gear. I've simply yet to connect with it in the way that others have.

As for the Nagra/Air Tight models... Unfortunately, I don't remember the model numbers of anything that I listened to beyond the speakers and, strangely enough, the speaker cables. A buddy of mine switched between that and a Naim stack. It was a cool time.

Ive had pass/nagra and air tight Atm 2 and nagra and air tight are at a verry diffrent league.
    I had the Pass aleph,int 150 and the x150.5.
    And they look beautifull but never rocked my senses.

I find Pass Labs electronics to have exceptional build quality, engineering, and a finish beyond reproach. However after hearing many of their products over the years they still fail to captivate my listening attention. I strongly prefer Luxman and Accuphase for superb sounding solid state electronics.

I agree on that. Pass is good build and very nice looking but for me it also didn't pull me into the music like some other stuff did. And belive me, I have had a lots of stuffss.

Thanks. I guess I'm not alone then .
    Paul

Thanks. I guess I'm not alone then .
    Sure doesn't seem like you're alone... What amp on Harbeth speakers ?

This is the very first time I have read so many folks not connecting with Pass equipment.

Probbelbley thats because moste folks dont get to do a/b comparison in their own invironment with diffrent gears to hear the different.

I tried pass several times with diffrent speakers and yes it did sound good and if I didn't have more than one or 2 amps to compare it to than I would be pretty happy.
    But I had the Pass beside lots of verry beautifull gear and than u will hear that its is a OK sounding amp but its doesn't give u the goose bump like some other amps do.
    Ofcourse it is a matter of pairing your equipment and luck also. But for me I just didn't have the luck , so I never had a good match with a pass...
    And resentley after telling this to an audio friend he went to a shop and asked a few demo with diffrent gear and supprisingley he swapped his New 1 year's old pass for an DAVIALET...
    I didn't see that comming but he said it also matches better with his KHARMA 3.2 FE speakers.

Here is a picture of one of my most beautifull setups. ..

The BURMESTER REF PRE.
    AIRTIGHT ATM 2.
    KONDO KSL DAC.
    At the same time I also had the bryston dac.

uploadfromtaptalk1450004946344.png

And Here's a link with some pictures.
    http://www.stereoforum.nl/index.php?topic=170.0

Cheers from Holland.

Quote Originally Posted by mazzialk View Post
    Probbelbley thats because moste folks dont get to do a/b comparison in their own invironment with diffrent gears to hear the different.

I tried pass several times with diffrent speakers and yes it did sound good and if I didn't have more than one or 2 amps to compare it to than I would be pretty happy.
    But I had the Pass beside lots of verry beautifull gear and than u will hear that its is a OK sounding amp but its doesn't give u the goose bump like some other amps do.
    Ofcourse it is a matter of pairing your equipment and luck also. But for me I just didn't have the luck , so I never had a good match with a pass...
    And resentley after telling this to an audio friend he went to a shop and asked a few demo with diffrent gear and supprisingley he swapped his New 1 year's old pass for an DAVIALET...
    I didn't see that comming but he said it also matches better with his KHARMA 3.2 FE speakers.

The BURMESTER REF PRE.
    AIRTIGHT ATM 2.
    KONDO KSL DAC.

Cheers from Holland.

I think you're right in saying that most people won't do a/b comparisons. More often that not it's not easy to do simply because it's hard to find good brands together in one place.

That sure is a beautiful setup you have. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by mazzialk View Post

The BURMESTER REF PRE.
    AIRTIGHT ATM 2.
    KONDO KSL DAC.

Cheers from Holland.
    The ATM2 is simply the Best KT88 amp in the world in my honest opinion. Thank you for share.

This is set up I like to have. What amp on Harbeth speakers ?
    Paul

Super Moderator

I've had more than my share of amps, and still do. Some you'll never know

Pass amps are superb.

My XA60.5's were stellar on my Strads AND my 40.1's. OMG! Just an amazing synergy. I have enough tube gear and Pass is one of the handful of companies that fill the void and satisfy completely. I plan on getting the XA60.8 to replace my 60.5's, the main reason for the sale (and if I had known better, would have kept them).

Everyone has their bias, but Pass Labs will live on as a classic. All my tube talk/questions on other threads has me rethinking about my long term solid state solution and eschewing tubes. Pass is on the list, especially the newer .8 series for sure.

I do favor the Class A Pass and high bias integrateds over the Class AB gear.
    Last edited by joeinid; December 13, 2015 at 10:19 AM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team