What amp on Harbeth speakers ? - Page 15
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What amp on Harbeth speakers ?

Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

2. Thanks jriggy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Shaw is generally amplifier agnostic but clearly likes power. Also bear in mind that this is a 40.1 rather than a 30.1 and you need to factor in the size of the room and your seating position - given my room set up I sit fairly close to the speakers. Finally consider how loud you listen. I try to listen at normal performance levels - but not Metallica in a small club levels. So with my 30.1s I have no trouble driving them with a 70 watt tube amp. I might also add that if I had to listen to “music” like that in the video I’d sell my gear and take up photography.
    Clearaudio Ovation turntable/Clearaudio Universal tonearm/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze/Esoteric E-03; Apple Air/Ayre QB-9 DSD; McIntosh MCD500; Pioneer RT-909 reel to reel; PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated Amplifier; Harbeth 30.1 Monitors; REL S/5 SHO; Shunyata Venom PS8 Power Distributor, Venom Defender, Venom HC and Venom 3 PCs; Cardas Clear USB Cable; WireWorld Silver Eclipse 7 ICs and speaker cables; Steve Blinn Designs Rack; Mapleshade Platform; KLAUDiO RCM.

4. Likes jriggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moby View Post
    Shaw is generally amplifier agnostic but clearly likes power. Also bear in mind that this is a 40.1 rather than a 30.1 and you need to factor in the size of the room and your seating position - given my room set up I sit fairly close to the speakers. Finally consider how loud you listen. I try to listen at normal performance levels - but not Metallica in a small club levels. So with my 30.1s I have no trouble driving them with a 70 watt tube amp. I might also add that if I had to listen to “music” like that in the video I’d sell my gear and take up photography.
    Of course he must like power because he builds speakers with low sensitivity. The whole purpose of the demo was to show how much power is required with his 40.1 speakers to play back music with lots of dynamic range. Shaw was close to ridiculing the idea that someone with a 7 watt amp could drive his speakers without tons of distortion. The sensitivity for the 30.1 is the same as the 40.1. So to get back to the point of this thread, according to Shaw his speakers like an amplifier with lots of power.
    Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    It would help a lot to know how loud they were playing. But even through my iPad Pro speakers the transient dynamics on that ‘chirp’ was kinda crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the video link Mark. Interesting conversation and test. Net net, Harbeths love and can handle power.

At his store, Mike drove the 40.2s with the VAC IQ200s and they sounded fantastic.

As others mentioned, I can see ARC, PASS, CH, DAG, VAC, among others as very nice amps to drive the Harbeths. Pick your flavor with enough power and enjoy the music.

Mike

8. Likes jriggy, Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

PrimaLuna HP with EL34 running in Triode mode has plenty of power to drive the Harbeth 30.2 in my 26x31 room at normal listening levels. By normal I mean 85dB with peaks up to 92dB with no signs of clipping from the amp. When I want to really crank it up, the Ultra-linear gives me even more headroom and does not run out of steam and of course with the Luxman L590 it is not an issue what so ever. The 30.2s are rated at 150w power handling by the way. Just because the 40.2 can absorb 700w on peaks as that video shows does not mean the "need" that kind of power. No one should be listening to speakers when they are absorbing 700w of power if you value your hearing. Tubes or SS is a personal preference, I like them both equally. As long as the amps are of decent quality, the Harbeths are happy.
    Serge

10. Likes Moby, CPP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am currently using a pair of Odyssey Audio Khartago Extreme Monoblocks with the Super HL5's, and I love the combination. I have also used the Exposure 2010S in the past. Love the way both sound with the Harbeths. They are in my opinion very forgiving speakers.
    Main Listening System
    Harbeth SHL5, REL T-5, Odyssey Audio Khartago Monoblock SE, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, Sony XA20-ES, Oppo BDP 105, Skylan stands, Nordost Heimdall II, Shunyata Research Hydra, Audioquest CV-8 speaker cables

Office System
    NHT Super Ones, Exposure 2010S2, Cambridge Audio 840C, Audioquest Type 4

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15