Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Hegel - Made In China - Who Cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    Oh good the grammar police are back.

And the USA never spied on anyone right

I like China so shoot me

Lol ...

On one hand, I believe that if a company charges thousands of dollars for a luxury item, then it should have enough pride and respect to support its own countrymen. And not just with tax revenue.

Yet on the flip side, I understand the reasons why companies turn to places like China for manufacturing. When you get right down to it, the only time I ever grumble over the 'made in China' sticker is when a company either misleads its customers into believing that it's not, or worse, when a company outright lies about the fact.

Oh good the grammar police are back.
    The grammar police wouldn't have paid you a visit if you hadn't made the wisecrack about "stupid people' in a sentence where you had two grammatical mistakes. I hope you appreciate the irony because I do.

And the USA never spied on anyone right
    There is a difference between spying on another country for legitimate defense reasons vice hacking into the servers of the U.S. government and the largest defense contractors. China doesn't need to invent anything or spend money on research and development, they just steal the intellectual property of other countries. There have been literally billions of dollars spent to develop the F-35 and China has hacked all of the defense companies who developed the F-35 and absconded with the data that our country and others have paid dearly for. No company is immune from the Chinese. Watches, golf clubs, purses, and clothes are all fair game to the Chinese for counterfeiting. Hollywood can't even get a new movie into the theaters before China has the DVDs for sale. If any country has intellectual property that China wants, they will steal it through any means possible.

I know you are from Canada and I don't know how much news you read, but the U.S. is constantly prosecuting Chinese people who live in the U.S. and either work for the DoD or they are contractors who work for defense corporations because they get caught stealing classified information and sending it back to China. Whatever business you are involved with that brings you to China should have already warned you that the information on your laptop and cell phone will be compromised by the Chinese. I'm sure they already know all about you. I have already been notified that my personal information has been compromised and I have never been to China.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

"Sanctions against China for cyberattacks on the U.S. private sector could come as early as next week, U.S. officials told CNN Friday."

But will they have any teeth?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/04/politi...-us/index.html
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    The grammar police wouldn't have paid you a visit if you hadn't made the wisecrack about "stupid people' in a sentence where you had two grammatical mistakes. I hope you appreciate the irony because I do.

There is a difference between spying on another country for legitimate defense reasons vice hacking into the servers of the U.S. government and the largest defense contractors. China doesn't need to invent anything or spend money on research and development, they just steal the intellectual property of other countries. There have been literally billions of dollars spent to develop the F-35 and China has hacked all of the defense companies who developed the F-35 and absconded with the data that our country and others have paid dearly for. No company is immune from the Chinese. Watches, golf clubs, purses, and clothes are all fair game to the Chinese for counterfeiting. Hollywood can't even get a new movie into the theaters before China has the DVDs for sale. If any country has intellectual property that China wants, they will steal it through any means possible.

I know you are from Canada and I don't know how much news you read, but the U.S. is constantly prosecuting Chinese people who live in the U.S. and either work for the DoD or they are contractors who work for defense corporations because they get caught stealing classified information and sending it back to China. Whatever business you are involved with that brings you to China should have already warned you that the information on your laptop and cell phone will be compromised by the Chinese. I'm sure they already know all about you. I have already been notified that my personal information has been compromised and I have never been to China.
    You are a writer and a good one grammar is a important thing to you but not to me. Some of the smartest people I know could care less about grammar.

As to the news it is just a point of view and once in a while it is the truth thats a bonus. The news in each part of the world is part news and mostly playing to the people in that area. In China the news is tightly controlled yet in a city park you may and can find a man with a bucket of water a brush on a long pole. He will write the news on a sunny day on the walk ways only there to read for a minute then gone.
    Is it the truth sometimes just like any other news.

Your outrage is all your own enjoy it. Your trying to tell me I do not get it or am not in the know. In what I do I work with a small group who share info and buying power to nudge the events to what we can profit from. The market , the dollar, strikes and Governments are all part of the Game. I do not do business in board rooms I have been places so remote I am the only white guy any one has ever seen in that village. No bathrooms no five star anything hell no one star anything I have returned home so sick it takes weeks to function again once with SARS. I do it for profit a lot of it for a guy like me. Sorry you got hacked, been their done that and far worse . I like China, a lot of what you say has truth to it, but I have found far more honesty in China than any where else I have done deals. South America is a far scarier place the reason China is so in the news is money . Simply they have the most money because people like me found it safer and more profitable than any where else we could find. It is all risk and reward (luck is good to) I risk my self and my own money . Maybe I should have learned better Grammar in its place I learned a hell of a lot more and not by watching the news. I do not even own a TV . Big screen yes for movies.

You want to watch something and learn something look the other guy in the eyes
    Lyra Atlas, tri-planner, clear audio statement, Burmester 100, Ayre KXR20, Ayre MXR20, Ayre DX5, Adept Response line conditioner, Ayre signature interconnects, Cardas clear power cables,cardas clear speaker cables and Martin Logan CLX with Decenti subs with Cardas hex link.
    Not in use Infinity QLS and Ohm F

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Lets get back on topic please, and remember NO politics!!!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Mark.......Good call. This thread has been a battle.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

You can't start a thread called "Made in China-Who Cares" and not expect it to quickly become political anymore than you could start a thread about a politician and expect that politics won't come up.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    You can't start a thread called "Made in China-Who Cares" and not expect it to quickly become political anymore than you could start a thread about a politician and expect that politics won't come up.
    Well it was moving right along until you mentioned the government then it got sidetracked just a little bit.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

English is not my first language so please ignore any grammar/ mistake.

The last time I checked, it was a hifi hobby forum.
    I went away for 3 days and ….what? 6 pages for this thread already and growing fast?

Being a Chinese, I mean China Chinese, not one of those Asian looking guys living around the corner in your great free world coutries, it must be suicidle to post my views in such a thread. However, I will give it a try,

The HEGEL products, I am surprised that many of you only know by now they are made in China. From day one, they are, execpt maybe(and it is a big maybe) the flagship model(H30?). I heared its manufacturing is contracted to Shanglin Audio(who makes great sounding CD players and owns YBA) based in South China. And please don't be offened if Hegel is sold off to Shanglin in a few years time. For your info, Furutech is a Japanese registered company but owned and operated by Taiwan Chinese, and Luxman too,shocked?

My point is , why should a product be judged by its manufacture of origin and even the nationality/race/colour of its manufactuers?

All products are “Designed by Human and Made on Earth”.

As to counterfeit products, I am ashamed that it is what China is famous for right now,but the market is mostly to the overseas demand (non audio) .Believe me, if you knew the the business I am in, you would know that I despise those criminals as much as your guys do. The government is mostly to be blamed for it because the law imposes too little penalty on such offence 3 to 5 years imprisonment is simply not dettrent enough). But I believe it is a historical phase, and China will grow out of it.

I still owe a Raidho X1 view post to this forum, if I am not banished by then....

Esoteric K-05,Oppo BDP 95, Cocktail Audio X50
    Accuphase C-2420,Mark levinson 532h,NuPrime IDA8, Line Magnetic 210IA(300B) & AS-125(211)
    Sonus Faber Guarneri Evo, Raidho X-1,ELAC 310ib, Elac 203.2,Acoustic Energy AE1 Classic, Spendor 3/5 SE
    Nordost Tyr2&Red dawn xlr,Analysis Plus Big Silver, Cardas Clear Power x 2,NBS Blk Label2,Voodoo Fire Dragon,Furutech Flux50x2 etc.

Hello robhifi,

Thanks for the post. Really interesting to read that Hegel may have contracted manufacture to Shanglin Audio of South China and to note that Shanglin has a significant shareholding in YBA, a company founded by a French electronics professor who had earlier worked for Goldmund.

I think the point myself and others are making about Hegel is that they should be upfront, transparent and honest about where their products are made – and that they potentially do themselves a disservice by doing otherwise.

I look forward to reading your long awaited update on the Raidho X1 loudspeakers.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

kiwi, I understand where this train of thought is coming from, as well as idealise the simplicity, but, in my past experience I have seen LM Line Magnetic suffer from their honest approach & dismal reaction to what was actually the biggest feather in their arsenal, they actually did do sub-contracted work for Western Electric. This is the sole reason "why" their gear is sort after. It 'IS" that good!!! They have the blueprints & the formula, don't believe me, go listen. Their products transcend the gibberish & foolhardily, they are the bomb! This is one company that has already risen from the ashes, is above scrutiny & there will be more to come....

As audiophiles, we are the last bastion in this prolific market to pass it with our approval.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    Hello robhifi,

Thanks for the post. Really interesting to read that Hegel may have contracted manufacture to Shanglin Audio of South China and to note that Shanglin has a significant shareholding in YBA, a company founded by a French electronics professor who had earlier worked for Goldmund.

I think the point myself and others are making about Hegel is that they should be upfront, transparent and honest about where their products are made – and that they potentially do themselves a disservice by doing otherwise.

I look forward to reading your long awaited update on the Raidho X1 loudspeakers.

Long awaited indeed Kiwi and sorry for the delay.
    I just called up the dealer and it would take another 2 weeks or so for delivery from Hong kong the regional distributor to Shanghai.

But what I promised, I will deliver.

Accuphase C-2420,Mark levinson 532h,NuPrime IDA8, Line Magnetic 210IA(300B) & AS-125(211)
    Sonus Faber Guarneri Evo, Raidho X-1,ELAC 310ib, Elac 203.2,Acoustic Energy AE1 Classic, Spendor 3/5 SE
    Nordost Tyr2&Red dawn xlr,Analysis Plus Big Silver, Cardas Clear Power x 2,NBS Blk Label2,Voodoo Fire Dragon,Furutech Flux50x2 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I can't think of two solid state amps in the same price range that have a more different sound than the Mc601's and Hegel H30 - and I've owned both. The Mc601's provide endless hours of extremely musical, fatigue free listening. The Hegel is more of your "Euro" sound. Clean, precise, balanced, yet still musical. Both are awesome and I would love to own them both again!
    McIntosh 601's - monoblocks amplifiers, made in the USA - price 14kk. 93lb each monoblock.

Hegel H30 Stereo amp, made in China - price 15k. 99lbs weight.

McIntosh pays real wages , provides two chassis all for a cheaper price than the Hegel.

Hegel pays cheap Chinese labor costs , provides it all in one chassis for a more expensive price.

To me, Hegel is ripping off its customers by refusing to make it clear that they are made in China and not passing on these MUCH lower costs go the customer.

For how I spend my money, I would never contemplate Hegel as they show a total disregard to their customers.

Cheers
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    McIntosh 601's - monoblocks amplifiers, made in the USA - price 14kk. 93lb each monoblock.

McIntosh pays real wages , provides two chassis all for a cheaper price than the Hegel.

Hegel pays cheap Chinese labor costs , provides it all in one chassis for a more expensive price.

To me, Hegel is ripping off its customers by refusing to make it clear that they are made in China and not passing on these MUCH lower costs go the customer.

For how I spend my money, I would never contemplate Hegel as they show a total disregard to their customers.

Cheers
    How would you rate the sound Hegel verses Mac just asking never heard them side by side. Would you agree with what Mike wrote.
    Lyra Atlas, tri-planner, clear audio statement, Burmester 100, Ayre KXR20, Ayre MXR20, Ayre DX5, Adept Response line conditioner, Ayre signature interconnects, Cardas clear power cables,cardas clear speaker cables and Martin Logan CLX with Decenti subs with Cardas hex link.

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post

Cheers
    You would have to have detailed financial data from both companies to credibly make these claims. Just sayin'

Audioshark

How would you rate the sound Hegel verses Mac just asking never heard them side by side. Would you agree with what Mike wrote.
    Both were some of my favorite amps of all time and let's not forget which amp won my fun little blind amp shootout.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441649222.241826.jpg
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Both were some of my favorite amps of all time and let's not forget which amp won my fun little blind amp shootout.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441649222.241826.jpg
    Mac was my second or third amp back in the 70s MC2205 two of them and a MC32 pre I have not kept up with Mac in the last 20 years.

Don't care how Hegel sounds, I would not contemplate buying them due to their lack of transparency where they are made - why do they hide the fact?

Plenty of other great sounding amps to choose from

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    You would have to have detailed financial data from both companies to credibly make these claims. Just sayin'
    If it does not pass the smell test. Common sense on pay rates will tell you most.
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika

Double.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

I bought my Hegel H30 for one reason, it sounds fantastic! I didn't know where it was made, and to be honest, it makes no difference to me. I do think a product should have a place of manufacture sticker, or something like that, to show where it is made.
    But I'm sure as Hell not going to sell it.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Well it is much better than made in Norway and designed in China.
    Venture Audio Grand Ultimate in Macassar Ebony, Thrax Dionysos pre, Thrax Tres mono's, Magnus MA-300 w/ MA-500 power supply, Stealth digital RCA, Acoustic Zen Absolute Silver pc's, Prana Wire Cosmos sp. cables, LG 65" OLED, ModWright modified Oppo 103D(transport), Reference Line Stage power conditioner, SME 20-2w/ Graham 2.2 tonearm, Ortofon Windfeld, Canary Audio MC10, PranaWire Linebacker, Luxman D-08 cd/sacd/dac.

Ha haaa , good one ....

I remarked on the Audiogon thread that there was some subtle racism/xenophobia going on, and the butt-sore screeching reaction I got from one of the resident gas-bags there about my "lack of character" was LMFAO funny.

Pete's system:

Speakers: Revel Salon 2
    Amplifier: Symphonic Line Kraft 250 Monos
    Pre-Amplifier: Symphonic Line "The Enlightenment" Tube w/Telefunken E88CC and Mullard CV2492
    Source: Symphonic Line Belcanto CDP w/Turbo power supply and optional DAC; Ayre C5xeMP
    Cabling: Furutech (custom and stock)
    Speaker and Amp Platforms: Star Sound Sistrum Apprentice XLs
    Bank Account: Drained

Correction. Hegel's manufacturing is actually contracted to the Beijing based Opera Audio(owner of the Consonance brand) instead of Shanglin as mentioned in my previous post.
    The rumour is that Opera is also involved in the design.

hegel.... should burn just as good as the rest of em'....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum geallan70, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

^^^

thx joe

My biggest issue with China is the counterfeiting, it's such a huge problem and costs legit enterprises in all sorts of different industries amazing amount of money. Also, the computer hacking, environmental and human rights abuses are hard to ignore.

But that said you can't say that all Chinese companies are the same, just like anywhere there will be good and bad so I don't condemn all Chinese goods. I would prefer to buy goods that are made in the USA and I will pay a premium for it, within reason. I also don't appreciate American companies who outsource, especially if they could be manufacturing in the USA for the prices they charge.
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio LLC
    zenwaveaudio.com
    "Integrity and Excellence in Audio"

[COLOR=white !important][IMG]chrome://pbk/content/blackbar_original_2_loadconfig_error.png[/IMG][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=white !important][IMG]chrome://pbk/content/blackbar_original_2_loadconfig.png[/IMG][/COLOR]
    I was just looking thru the TAS Recommended list sparked by Mikes post earlier today about Triode Corp.

There are several Ads for Hegel gear but whoever writes this stuff speaks another language.

"The new integrated amplifier is one of the most versatile and well sounding reproducers on the market"

Can anyone explain what "Well Sounding" means?
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    I was just looking thru the TAS Recommended list sparked by Mikes post earlier today about Triode Corp.

There are several Ads for Hegel gear but whoever writes this stuff speaks another language.

"The new integrated amplifier is one of the most versatile and well sounding reproducers on the market"

Can anyone explain what "Well Sounding" means?
    Brian.......The opposite of sick?
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

"Well sounding" obviously means that the sound is NOT on medication despite experiencing the occasional fever.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

I wonder what MFG has the "Sickest" sounding reproducers?
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

A friend of mine actually talked about this with an Hegel employee. He said that they could NOT produce their products with the same high quality standard in Norway as they do in China. One option would be to make their products in Sweden but that would make them WAY more expensive.

What you have to realize is that Hegel concists of like 7 guys, not more. Comparing them to a mega-brand like McIntosh isn't fair. It's like comparing IBM and Apple back in the 70s.

I hope this makes it clear why Hegel is not manufactured in Norway.

I am a huge fan of Hegel and an owner of a Hegel H160. While it doesn't bother me the H160 may be built in China it does bother me that Hegel is not open & transparent on where they manufacture.

What is funny is that we usually think China = cheap and bad quality. Look at Apple though, they make maybe the best consumer electronics in the world and no-one ever questions them, and why should they? Their products are amazing. Chinese high tech factories are hard to compete with for Europe and the US today, that´s just facts, add the cheap labor and its a no-brainer for companies to have their production over there. Ethically you could have a problem with it, but thats another thing. Capitalism in it's finest colors.

I agree that it is kind of deceiving not to market Hegel products as made in China. Why not just do as Apple, Designed in Oslo, Norway, assembled in China. I have had the H80 and it was great. Now I have the H300 and it's a power house!

Quote Originally Posted by little_mac View Post

I agree that it is kind of deceiving not to market Hegel products as made in China. Why not just do as Apple, Designed in Oslo, Norway, assembled in China. [...]
    When your friend is next talking to the Hegel employee why don't you ask him to pass on that thought? Hegel's current labelling practice is deceiving and should be changed with wording exactly as you have suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    When your friend is next talking to the Hegel employee why don't you ask him to pass on that thought? Hegel's current labelling practice is deceiving and should be changed with wording exactly as you have suggested.
    Ok, so I got an official answer from Hegel and here it is translated from norwegian to english:

Hi Markus

Thank you for your inquiry.

Our products have parts of from all over the world, indeed also from Norway . But our products are assembled ​​in China. We have not had any need to write up all of the specific parts origins in our components and therefore has not done so. We are Norwegian and work out of Oslo as it says on the back of our products.

Sincerely / Best regards
    Hegel Music System AS

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by little_mac View Post
    Ok, so I got an official answer from Hegel and here it is translated from norwegian to english:

Hi Markus

Thank you for your inquiry.

Our products have parts of from all over the world, indeed also from Norway . But our products are assembled ​​in China. We have not had any need to write up all of the specific parts origins in our components and therefore has not done so. We are Norwegian and work out of Oslo as it says on the back of our products.

Sincerely / Best regards
    Hegel Music System AS
    Regardless, IMHO, their stuff sounds great.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I heard the new Hegel integrated amplifier at the Florida Audio Expo yesterday and was impressed. However, after discovering it is made in China, it's a No Sale for me. China has stolen huge amounts of intellectual property from the US and likely other countries as well. Unfortunately, not buying anything made in China is almost impossible. But, when it comes to expensive audio equipment, I'll pass.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

The Hegel 590, especially, is awesome.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I only care if the labeling supports the full practice so I can make a decision on what I want to do.

And it’s important to understand what the label means. Products can assume identities of the originating country even if work was done in part overseas and shipped to the originating country for final assembly.
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

I've softened a lot on my stance with high-end audio products made in China. There are companies that take what are essentially Chinese products, designed (if you can call it that) and made by Chinese owned / run factories, and slap their own badge on it. Maybe they get to specify the colors and other superficial aspects, but it's pretty obvious to see through. These are generally very bad products.

Then there are companies that really design their own quality products, and work much more closely with Chinese factories to outsource their production and ensure quality. These can be excellent.

I love Audioquest cables, even though their main assembly is done in China. Can't fault them; they're great cables. But the counterfeiting issue is indeed a side-effect of this. By all accounts companies like Hegel and Prima Luna also do a great job ensuring a quality product.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Hegel - Made In China - Who Cares?