Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

A Day With Jim Smith

A couple of weeks ago I booked a RoomPlay Reference session with Jim Smith at his home in the Atlanta area.

Get Better Sound - RoomPlay

I have to say it was an experience like I've never had before. Jim's expertise in room setup is well known in the audio community. I had purchased his book and DVD, "Get Better Sound", a couple of years back. And it has been a vital tool in helping me set up my own system.

As some here know, I have moved to a new home in Georgia. It's much different than my house in Texas, room wise. The new home has a VERY open floor plan. And it's also a much livelier room than my old room. Susan and I like to have our system in our main living room, instead of a dedicated room, because we love to listen to music and enjoy a cocktail while I prep and then cook dinner. It's the way we love to live each day. This room is a challenging room to set up. But I feel much better about how it sounds now after spending the day at Jim's place.

When I arrived a Jim's, we sat and talked a while about various things. He explained his thoughts on setup, and the things he listens for when setting up room. He explained the 3 things he listens for. Dynamics,Presence, and Tonality.
    We then entered his listening room for my session. He proceeded to play selected tracks to highlight each of the" Holy Trinity", my words not his. I truly have never heard a system do the things that his did. It was absolutely amazing.
    We all talk about how a speaker disappears, but I never experienced it to this degree. It was so spooky that in the first few moments I started to giggle uncontrollably. Simply amazing.
    The best part of the session was that I learned what to listen for in my own system, and it has helped me immensely.

I'm now confident that I can make my new room sound the way I want to. But I still am going to have Jim come to my house and tune my system to my room. If I can get half of what I experienced at his place, I will be thrilled to death.

Jim, if I made any errors about your thoughts, please chime in.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Audioshark

Re: A Day With Jim Smith

Thanks for the write up! I would love to have Jim come to my house to tweak things. I love his approach.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Mark.......Very interesting. I also have Jim's book and have taken advantage of a number of his suggestions while setting up and dialing in my two channel system in the studio. There is much to be gained from putting Jim's knowledge to good use.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

I would love to have Jim optimize my speaker position. I spent quite a bit of time dialing my speakers in, but still feel I'm leaving something on the table. Bet Jim can get that last few %'s that's missing...

Allen

Sounds like a great time Mark!
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Very cool, Mark, and thanks for sharing. I too have his book and DVD and have learned a lot from them. My current project has been getting my electrical plugs in proper phase and polarity based on his advice.
    McIntosh MC501s, XRT29s, XR27, WS350s
    ModWright LS 300 preamplifier
    ModWright PH 9.0XT phono stage
    Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
    Cambridge Audio CXNv2 with ModWright Truth Tube Modifications
    Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
    Outlaw 7000x HT Amplifier
    Denon AVR-X4700H HT Receiver (pre-amp mode)
    JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
    ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
    WyWires, LAT International, Wireworld Cables

Mark...thx for sharing. Hope you get the system dialed in as you want in the new place and since he will be coming to your house, sounds like he should be able to get them to sing when it's all said and done.
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

This is fantastic Mark! When is Jim coming over to your house? Can't wait to hear the results when we visit in December.

Keep us posted!

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Mark, I too have Jims book & dvd they are top notch & look forward to your update on this thread.

Pretty cool Mark. Sounds like a wonderful experience.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by JJinID View Post
    Very cool, Mark, and thanks for sharing. I too have his book and DVD and have learned a lot from them. My current project has been getting my electrical plugs in proper phase and polarity based on his advice.
    When we built the new house, my guy set up my dedicated lines in phase also. He said it really makes a difference.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    This is fantastic Mark! When is Jim coming over to your house? Can't wait to hear the results when we visit in December.

Keep us posted!

Jim's wife is going through some medical issues, so it will most likely be some time in October.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Mark- glad you had a great time and look forward to hearing about what happens when Jim shows up at your house.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    When I arrived a Jim's, we sat and talked a while about various things. He explained his thoughts on setup, and the things he listens for when setting up room. He explained the 3 things he listens for. Dynamics,Presence, and Tonality.

Jim, if I made any errors about your thoughts, please chime in.
    Hi Mark,

As you mentioned, when voicing, my goals are primarily to address Dynamics, Presence, and Tone. Of course there are other considerations, but these are ultimately what I have found to yield the greatest improvement in musical involvement.

Although most of the usual 'audiophile sound effects' (that we all sometimes listen for) do materialize at a high level, I do not voice to achieve them.

I will add one thing - I call the sum of these goals Realistic Stage Presence. If the above three are maximized, then Realistic Stage Presence is a given. I've never had a client for whom we were able to achieve this level of Stage Presence who didn't become much more deeply involved in his or her music.

I could go on and on, but instead, I will just say thanks for your kind comments!

Best,

Jim
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Hi Jim,
    A couple of years ago I had the pleasure of attending your Room Play session in your original location and before your Dueland
    crossovers. I hope to come hear your new setup some time...

Everyone else, Jim is a very gracious host and a true source of great knowledge. Use him if you can!
    Tannoy Canterbury SE's, Nottingham Analog Studio Space 294/12"Anna arm/Grado Gold1, Ah! Njoe Toeb 4000, MF M1DAC, AVA Transcendance 8+ pre,
    Bottlehead 300B Paramount monoblocs, PL Prologue 5, Decware Zen Torii MK3, Odyssey Stratos, Stillpoint Mini's

Thanks for sharing Mark! I didn't know the guy but I have ordered the book and DVD's
    Hans

Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3 /alternatively JM Lab Point Source Aria 5 (self modified)/ 2x SVS 3000 SB, Audionet AMP (2x), dCS Bartók used as streamer / DAC / preamp, Pro-Ject RPM 9 with Speedbox S and Orthofon MC Vivo Blue, KEF LS50 Nocturne / Sunfire Atmos(kitchen). Patio: Bluesound Node 2i and Focal CMS50.
    RoonServer on Nucleus.

I've had the pleasure of hearing Jim's system and it was one of the best systems I ever heard.

I also had him voice my system (about 3 speakers ago) and it was a great investment. I learned a lot. Highly recommended!
    Speakers: Magico M-Project w/MPods
    Amps: CAT Legend -> CAT JL7s
    Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / Black Beauty tonearm / Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95
    Digital: Roon->Vivaldi DAC/Upsampler
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna Elation ICs & SCs / Shunyata Denali 6000T & PC's / Furutech outlets

Quote Originally Posted by madfloyd View Post
    I've had the pleasure of hearing Jim's system and it was one of the best systems I ever heard.

I also had him voice my system (about 3 speakers ago) and it was a great investment. I learned a lot. Highly recommended!
    Ian, I agree, Jim's system is just fantastic to hear. If I can get just half of what I heard at his house it will be worth every penny.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Mark ,thanks for posting some time back you and i discussed Jim's approach to system set up. Its great to see that this truly works.
    since I moving to DFW, i am in the process of buying a home and working on dedicated lines that are in phase ( new learning curve) chime in on this with
    any helpful knowledge. I am sure that the new home will need to be check for the amount of amp usage first before adding breakers and lines into a room.
    thanks again.
    Kevin

I had Jim Smith out to my Chicago land residence just about 12 months ago. Jim was very methodical in speaker placement once he arrived.

Before his arrival to my residence he encouraged me to slide my big monster speakers to different walls to hear the differences. "But Jim I protested, my super deluxe speaker cables won't reach that far."

Jim was very insistent about this approach. He encouraged me to go to Home Depot and get a roll of stock speaker wire. Because the best speaker cables ever made won't overcome the laws of physics. Read: best speaker position in your room. So I went thru the exercise of moving the speakers 90 degrees of "my most optimal" position and also 180 degrees to were I had them. This was an eye opening exercise.

Once Jim arrived he was very deliberate in his approach. He took critical measurements at the listening position. We put tape on the floor and started to zero in on the best listening chair position and speaker locations. He was very careful about the measurements. When he left there was spike tape on the floor to preserve his work.

I've learned that you can have the best equipment in the world and it doesn't matter one whit unless the room is right.

A big step up in sound quality was achieved after Jim's visit. Investing in Jim's visit was a worthwhile and rewarding experience.

Another takeaway from reading Jim's book "Get Better Sound" for my Austin residence was getting the rack out from the middle of the speakers! It interferes with the imaging of the speakers.
    Le Roy

Austin, Tx : Soulution 520 preamp, 501 mono blocks, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D3.1, Lumin U1, Uptone Audio Modded Mac Mini w/ MMK fanless kit & JS-2 LPS, Regen, Ansuz DTC loom (complete), Oppo 105D, QNAP TS-451+

Chicagoland : Soulution 725 preamp, 711 stereo amp, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D5.1, Naim UnitiServe 2TB, Aurender W-20 Ansuz DTC later generation wire, Teac X1000 R2R, QNAP TS-451+

Foundation:
    Raidho Rack system, Ansuz DTC Mainz8, Ansuz (2) Supreme Mainz D8 Distribution, 20 amp dedicated outlets via subpanel

Quote Originally Posted by MacFly View Post
    Mark ,thanks for posting some time back you and i discussed Jim's approach to system set up. Its great to see that this truly works.
    since I moving to DFW, i am in the process of buying a home and working on dedicated lines that are in phase ( new learning curve) chime in on this with
    any helpful knowledge. I am sure that the new home will need to be check for the amount of amp usage first before adding breakers and lines into a room.
    thanks again.
    My recommendations: install a whole house surge protector, install a ground filter, install an isolation transformer, then feed all your equipment off that isolation transformer. Isolation transformer should be sized based on system requirements.

If you go to my blog there are some good articles What is whole room power conditioning? and the power and grounding primer.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

A Day With Jim Smith