Horror We? How’s Bayou?

One of the great things about our modern era is that you don’t have to grow up. So many of the things that I enjoyed when I was young I can enjoy again, sometimes even better. So let me mention these before they are out, hoping to save you some money.

First, on October 6, I just saw on Amazon, a set of four, terrific Sci-Fi movies will be released on Blu Ray for the first time, I believe. They can be bought separately, but to save money you can buy them in a set entitled Special Effects Collection:

Mighty Joe Young,
Son of Kong
Them
The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms

My favorite of the bunch is Joe Young, which puts the remake to shame. Son of Kong is the weakest. I really enjoyed The Beast, which was the first of giant monsters, created by radiation, with fire coming out of it’s mouth (at least in the posters). It inspired Godzilla and many others. In seeing Them for the first time in years, I noticed an actor in a very small part who would soon live long and prosper. Check it out at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy75hYIXQrI

On the same day another collection comes out for Hammer Horror fans in Horror Classics

Dracula Has Risen From The Grave,
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed,
The Mummy, And
Taste The Blood Of Dracula.

But not to be forgotten is the incredible and worthwhile: Universal Monsters, which I love.

8 movie:: Dracula (1931), Frankenstein (1931), The Mummy (1932), The Invisible Man (1933), The Bride of Frankenstein (1935), The Wolf Man (1941), The Phantom of the Opera (1943) and The Creature From the Black Lagoon (1954) and in 3d too!

All the movies are restored and they are spectacular on Blu Ray. The Creature is also presented in 3D and, believe me, it was incredible. My brother and I could not believe how beautiful it was. And it has the famous Spanish language Dracula, which many prefer to the Bela one. If you get only one set, get this one.