Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Build your own turntable

Sounds daunting, right ? It isn't really. All you need is a good idea, a donor motor, platter, spindle and power and choose the high end arm you want.

I took the motorized parts from a Dual turntable that has a Dual EDS 500 motor. why ? Because the motor and board is self contained (no separate boards, etc.) so it was easy. Took the following:

1. Motor
    2. power supply
    3. strobe
    4. speed pot
    5. Platter and spindle

Added
    Power on off switch
    Tonearm
    self made wood case

Steps with pictures
    First laid out how I wanted the platter strobe and speed control on a board

Next, the underside wiring..I hard wired for 33 speed eliminating the manual switch for 33 and 45. You can see why I chose the Dual TT donor..Very minimal parts to work with and dead steady DD motor

Used cork to sandwich the material and deaden the plinth

Made a base out of poplar. You can do any base design you want. The top plinth will just fit inside

This was the original design with a Sanyo arm...Nice but not what I finished up with

Continued next post
    MAIN RIG: Equipment: Marantz SR4023 as Pre / Velleman K4040 Tube Power Amp / Yamaha M65 Power Amp / Polk Monitor 70's with Polk Sub / ClearAudio Concept table with Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Stage and ClearAudio Concept MC cart /Pioneer PL500 TT with AT440MLa

Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Re: Build your own turntable

Now after that first design, I decided to make a better table by using a better arm. I choose a very low mass AT1100 (6 gram mass) with fluid damping...very cool...and changed the top plinth wood

Original design

New top and armboard to measure out for the new arm...

the Arm

Mounted

Final result including an AT popup that lifts the arm when it reaches the end of an LP

MAIN RIG: Equipment: Marantz SR4023 as Pre / Velleman K4040 Tube Power Amp / Yamaha M65 Power Amp / Polk Monitor 70's with Polk Sub / ClearAudio Concept table with Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Stage and ClearAudio Concept MC cart /Pioneer PL500 TT with AT440MLa

Wow!!!! That's some beautiful work! How's it sound??
    Great job !!
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Rega/Ortofon/Viva 300b/KR

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

Fantastically cool! Being a Digital Junkie I generally avoid the vinyl threads... and glancing around I didn't really thing "make your own turntable" meant, "make your own turntable" well, silly me.

fantastic job, fantastic DIY project! Thanks !!
    Magnepan 20.7 - CJ ART 300s - CJ GATV2 - Meitner MA-1 V2 -Dedicated JRMC + Synology NAS

Audioshark

We have got some seriously talented people here. Wow. I love the classic look.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    We have got some seriously talented people here. Wow. I love the classic look.

I think this guy Rob is one of these!!!
    Vintage Bedroom Gear: Dual CS 5000, McIntosh C29, McIntosh MC300, MR78 Sonus Faber Concertino

Listening Room Gear McIntosh MT10, McIntosh c2300, McIntosh MC275MKVI Mono'd, Sonus Faber Elipsa SE

Thanks all...how does she sound? High end audiophile quality. It may not be suspended or damped like modern tables BUT I took that into account I needed two things

1) Rock solid speed...so solid I adjust the strobe once per several months (amazing)
    2) A tonearm that was designed to be a perfect compliment to the table - 6 grams mass, fluid damped and designed by AT to eliminate the 10hz sweet spot...

You can read about the arm here --> Google
    I also replaced the original tonearm wires with Litz wires and special connectors..

I have used high end MM and pretty decent MC carts...beautiful...compared to my Concept table ? Tied...I kid you not...

We are so lucky to have you around Rob. I had an old Dual that I gave to my son. Apparently it has a channel out. After reading all of your DIY threads I'm planning on taking a look under the hood. I figure it can't be any worse than it already is.
    Doug

To quote Darth Vader: "Impressive!"

Arrgh - the pictures are not showing up for me! Are there links to pictures at another site I can get to?

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Arrgh - the pictures are not showing up for me! Are there links to pictures at another site I can get to?
    Really ? What browser are you using...?

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    We are so lucky to have you around Rob. I had an old Dual that I gave to my son. Apparently it has a channel out. After reading all of your DIY threads I'm planning on taking a look under the hood. I figure it can't be any worse than it already is.
    Doug, 90% of the time, the channel OUT issue is the DUAL SLED if yours has that. The contacts are horrible. What model do you have? I eventually rewired my arm and eliminated the sled contacts scheme ..worked wonders !!!

Looking at this site at work (shhh, don;t tell my boss) using IE8

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Looking at this site at work (shhh, don;t tell my boss) using IE8
    Your browser default is set to not show pictures.

Go to TOOLS/INTERNET OPTIONS/Click the ADVANCED TAB (far right)

Scroll down to Multimedia and make sure SHOW PICTURES is clicked.

Tell the boss it is research

Quote Originally Posted by ohbythebay View Post
    Doug, 90% of the time, the channel OUT issue is the DUAL SLED if yours has that. The contacts are horrible. What model do you have? I eventually rewired my arm and eliminated the sled contacts scheme ..worked wonders !!!
    Rob, mine is the CS627Q. I think I bought it back around 1980 and it was in my basement for a lot of years. I'll have to bring it to where I am and take a look at it. I think it had an Ortofon OM20 on it. The fingerlift was a lever that went to and fro which would release the cart. mech for easy changing. Ha! I can't tell you how many times the whole works fell right off onto the album.

Not my pic but this is what it looks like:

Doug

Well, I can see most others, but unfortunately I can't adjust my internet options (function is locked). I see the typical little box with a red X in it. It is entirely possible that the site that is originally hosting those pictures is blocked here at work. Bummer, I love DIY stuff.

Question the 2nd to the last photo you said "an AT popup" to lift up the arm what is it? can you post a photo of it. Other then that this look cool I have a few old TT that I always want to fix I might try something like this.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum pdrummer!

Thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by pdrummer View Post
    Question the 2nd to the last photo you said "an AT popup" to lift up the arm what is it? can you post a photo of it. Other then that this look cool I have a few old TT that I always want to fix I might try something like this.
    REALLY hard to find Audio Technica Safety Riser

Is there a set of standards or specs that one has to follow for tonearm placement, etc.. ?

Yes, it is called spindle to pivot distance. On any given tone arm, there is an optimal distance and placement.

One does this with a template or a measurement by measuring from the spindle in a direct line to the pivot. See example below but note...not every arm is the same (though many are). Knowing that number can help you build your or table or add an arm to a table that allows it.

tonearm.JPG

Very cool. Do stand alone tone arms come with spec'd spindle to pivot distance?

This appears very interesting, as long as I don't have to invent the wheel when it comes to motor control, tone arms, and platters. Just build a very inert base, measure and cut/drill for Motor, Arm, switches and output?

Are there any professional/published books on this topic, amazon appears dry?

Most all standalone tonearms purchased have the template. If its used then you can probably find the template at vinylengine.com

I am sure there are books, but its not that hard. We are talking full manual though - to build an auto from scratch, you better have an engineering degree...LOL

Some turntables came with the ability to change an arm (thorens had some for example).

Building from scratch is not that hard though. For mine, I stole a motor, platter and strobe from a Dual Direct drive turntable. The EDS 500 motor lends itself perfectly to this because the circuit board is all part of the motor assembly. So I stripper the parts, built a base and plinth top, mounted, measured and cut my arm hole and voila, I had a high end table. Sonically, it was awesome....Pictures below

entire motor assembly on the bottom of MDF

top side corked to reduce vibration

built a simple base

I originally started with cocobolo wood for the top but note, the strobe is too far - eventually changed..see further pictures

Changed top wood, moved the strobe closer and note the arm board

Finished product

I added an AT popup which lifts the arm at the end of an album

and a dustcover from a Technics SL1200

LET YOUR IMAGINATION BE YOUR GUIDE - MINE WAS ULTRA SIMPLE

Thank you for sharing. This is very motivating.

Now I have to find some tonearms (and the templates), some motor, and get a little creative with the rest.

I know what I am going to dream about tonight :-)

Quote Originally Posted by pdrummer View Post
    pdrummer Welcome.jpg To this great forum
    André - - - Keep it simple system
    Amp = Chord CPM-2600
    Source = Chord One
    Speakers = Acoustat 1+1s highly modified
    Life without Acoustat is possible BUT senseless.

So, given the snow over the east coast I shut myself in and read about Turntables.

Couple of thoughts:

Why aren't there more funky pivot to spindle distances? Like having a half meter tone arm? This way it would create an arc so large that it would almost seem like a linear tracking?

Are tone arms simply, I know it's not that simple, a free pivoting levers? Which connected to a needle that simply follows the groove of the record? I know there are things out there to control "skating"...

Tonearm pivots vary..but most fall into two camps. Normal pivot - the arm rides on very small bearings on the horizontal plane while it has two side pivot points for the vertical.

Then there is a unipivot. Uses a single pivot point (think of balancing on a pin - you can go left, right, up and down all from a singular point)

There is also things like a magnetic unipivot (like my Clearaudio Concept table)

No matter how long you made the arm, you still have the same arc...and a super sized table...LOL..It would not emulate a linear tracker which has no arc

Antiskate is a slight counterforce to keep the arm from forcing inward as it riders the grooves which would cause IGD (inner groove distortion)

Some nice tonearms

Micro Seiki
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...at=0&_from=R40

Some others
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/Tonearms/products/77/

Grace tonearms
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=grace+tonearm

Thanks, there is no real formal (easy) guide to building a turntable. So, with your help, I will investigate. While turnable tech seems, to me, super old, I am learning it for the first time. Most of all, it's fun.

If you really want to build your own...there are other options

1) Get a sweet, top condition vintage table
    2) Get a table that lets you change the tonearm - example
    Kenwood Turntable with Grace Tonearm Classic Combination | eBay

You can also go with a Thorens TD 150 or 160 and do your own arm
    http://www.theanalogdept.com/sme_td160.htm

If you do decide to build, consider this
    Belt drive - You would have to find the right platter and motor combo so you get the proper speed. It means calculating the pulley to platter/belt etc. Doable but not for the faint of heart and no speed adjustment

Find a DD turntable to gut to use its parts - preferably like the Dual I used where the motor unit contains all you need ( no circuit boards to transfer or figure out)

From there its pretty easy. Figure where your platter/spindle goes, mount your parts, mount your arm, make a base...instant table..LOL

Here is a pretty cool project that sparked me to make my own...his is way above mine
    DIY Turntable - Hi-Fi Phono Record Player

Quote Originally Posted by ohbythebay View Post
    If you really want to build your own...there are other options

Here is a pretty cool project that sparked me to make my own...his is way above mine
    DIY Turntable - Hi-Fi Phono Record Player

I wish I was that handly or delicate on the wood work. Very nice job on the turntable.
    Merrill Audio Advanced Technology Labs, LLC. Audio Purity.
    Manufacturer for VERITAS Monoblocks, Thor Monoblocks, ANAP Cables, Jens Phono Pre-amp, Cara Pre-amp, Caileigh DAC Remote Volume. US distributor of Sadurni Acoustics Staccato Horn Speakers.

i can not see photos

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum pjs, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Welcome to the forum pjs, thank you for joining.
    Are there parts for turn table for assembly instead of building?
    I like to buy parts already made just for assembly.

Thanks

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Build your own turntable