Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Shout-Out For Ayre!

Not too long ago, I bought an AX-7 IA. It was dealer demo, and the dealer explained to me that I could send it to Ayre, and get the e(volution) upgrade...for a mere $250. I took it with a grain of salt, as either a) the dealer was low-balling the price, to entice me toward a purchase or b) the "upgrade" must not involve much.

So I send it off to Ayre, and asked that...since it was used; they put it on the bench, and give it the once-over. Make sure everything is up to spec, since they have it anyway.

What I didn't mention...was that one of the "heat-screens", on top of the unit; was a little "detached". Either it was that way from jump, as demo...or it happened in shipping. If I'm being honest...I didn't mention it, because I guess I was hoping they'd see it; and sort of fix it for free as a courtesy...lol. But if they charged me, then so be it.

When Michael Wiedmaier told me my unit was ready; I was sure to ask, about the 2 issues. Yes, they gave it the once-over on the test bench; and...the glue was drying, as we spoke (typed), from the repair to the screen. So when I opened the attached bill...I wasn't sure what to expect, in the way of a final tally.

In addition to $250...would there be a) "miscellaneous" other fees from the upgrade, b) fees for the bench time, c) fees from the repair. NOPE; it was $250...and, they cover the return shipping!

WhoTH does that?? I mean...bench time alone, is usually over $100/hour; and there's a minimum. And I'm told, and have read; the evolution upgrade...is not insignificant at all.

As you all may know; the AX-7e may not end up staying. I'm purging a lot of gear...all of it I thought was very good; in the hopes of streamlining and marrying to something instead. But I have to say: the K-5xe MP, I thought was a great pre-amp; and the AX-7 (and I can only assume the 7e even more-so), was damn good as well. And on top of that...the customer service; at least in this case...is exemplary!

Thanks to MW, and thanks Ayre!
    CD

DAC/Pre-amp - PSAudio DsJ > Power-amp - > Speakers - PMC TwentyFive 23s

Re: Shout-Out For Ayre!

I wish they had better dealer representation in Australia. If only they knew, Ayre would sell product here. I like Ayre, they make great products but I won't deal with Advance Audio/Audio Connection who dealer represent them here.

Speakeasy

Ayre has great customer service

Great company and they truly care about their customers.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Ayre has always been fair with me and done the repairs in a timely manner that is not easy with a border to cross Canada to USA which always slows things down they have still been fast. I have upgrades done on my MXR KXR and DX5 now the 250 dollars you paid makes me jealous the MXR and KXR to the 20s was a bit more than that . That said their was a big change in what I got from each unit. Ayre puts a lot into customer service . They seem to put a lot of effort into keeping customers happy plus it is a good product to start with. Punching well above its weight class in a lot of cases .
    Lyra Atlas, tri-planner, clear audio statement, Burmester 100, Ayre KXR20, Ayre MXR20, Ayre DX5, Adept Response line conditioner, Ayre signature interconnects, Cardas clear power cables,cardas clear speaker cables and Martin Logan CLX with Decenti subs with Cardas hex link.
    Not in use Infinity QLS and Ohm F

Quote Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
    Not too long ago, I bought an AX-7 IA. It was dealer demo, and the dealer explained to me that I could send it to Ayre, and get the e(volution) upgrade...for a mere $250. I took it with a grain of salt, as either a) the dealer was low-balling the price, to entice me toward a purchase or b) the "upgrade" must not involve much.

So I send it off to Ayre, and asked that...since it was used; they put it on the bench, and give it the once-over. Make sure everything is up to spec, since they have it anyway.

What I didn't mention...was that one of the "heat-screens", on top of the unit; was a little "detached". Either it was that way from jump, as demo...or it happened in shipping. If I'm being honest...I didn't mention it, because I guess I was hoping they'd see it; and sort of fix it for free as a courtesy...lol. But if they charged me, then so be it.

When Michael Wiedmaier told me my unit was ready; I was sure to ask, about the 2 issues. Yes, they gave it the once-over on the test bench; and...the glue was drying, as we spoke (typed), from the repair to the screen. So when I opened the attached bill...I wasn't sure what to expect, in the way of a final tally.

In addition to $250...would there be a) "miscellaneous" other fees from the upgrade, b) fees for the bench time, c) fees from the repair. NOPE; it was $250...and, they cover the return shipping!

WhoTH does that?? I mean...bench time alone, is usually over $100/hour; and there's a minimum. And I'm told, and have read; the evolution upgrade...is not insignificant at all.

As you all may know; the AX-7e may not end up staying. I'm purging a lot of gear...all of it I thought was very good; in the hopes of streamlining and marrying to something instead. But I have to say: the K-5xe MP, I thought was a great pre-amp; and the AX-7 (and I can only assume the 7e even more-so), was damn good as well. And on top of that...the customer service; at least in this case...is exemplary!

Thanks to MW, and thanks Ayre!
    GLWS for the Ayre and the next amp you are getting ready to buy!
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

I've purchased an Ayre preamp on Agon (K5xe-MP) for a reasonable price and love it! It has a warm tonality to it which complements a lot of modern recordings off of digital masters but still staying pretty transparent. I coupled that recently with a Parasound JC3+ phono from a great guy on Agon and the two combined are truly a great taste of the high end at a somewhat reasonable price. When I go to RMAF I'll be searching out the Ayre room to hear more...

Allen

All my electronics are Ayre...and Michael/Ayre has always been wonderful to answer questions, do updates....nothing ever needed repair. Great company, great sound.

Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    I've purchased an Ayre preamp on Agon (K5xe-MP) for a reasonable price...
    Wasn't mine, was it?
    CD

Ha, didn't know you had one on Agon for sale! It's a great preamp. Don't let it go! A great versatile piece to have around IMO.

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    Ha, didn't know you had one on Agon for sale! It's a great preamp. Don't let it go! A great versatile piece to have around IMO.
    No...I already sold one on AG (or USAM??).

Oh, you know what; I traded for an XP-10.
    CD

+1 for Michael at Ayre-- how other companies should deal with customers--he's terrific!

Bruce

I'd like to echo the Ayre approach to customer service. I purchased an Ayre KX-R Twenty Pre-amp Ayre VX-R Twenty Stereo Amp and an Ayre Codex. When shipped and installed I had issues with all 3 units at different within first 30 days of installing. The issues were substantial enough to send back both the Pre-amp and Amp. Michael and Alex from Ayre were fantastic getting me through this process. I could tell that NO ONE had ever had these types of problems - "pop in volume ladder control, and loss of P/S on one channel in the amp" At first I was disappointed and concerned about the quality but they just asked to "give them a chance" - they kept in constant communication - Alex called me from an airport returning from the High End Show in Germany when he heard I had an issue. They turned the units quickly and am I am thrilled that I gave them a chance, the results are astounding. Also a quick shout to John Rutan from Audio connection in Jersey for the setup (stunning) and the support replacing win loaner equipment within hours of failure. Ayre is a stand up company that takes care of their customers.

Super Moderator

Glad to see these experiences have happy endings. I'm committed to Ayre as my destination gear. I fell in love with the sound and any interaction with the company has been stellar. I feel the sound that I get from Ayre combines the best of solid state and tubes. Totally non-fatiguing sound that makes me happy. I know others may disagree but that's the beauty of this hobby, err obsession. We can all find something that makes us happy and enjoy the music that we love.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

I love Ayre gear. Not sure I'll be able to hold out much longer. Time to get the "R" gear. The "5" gear is amazing. I can't imagine the Reference stuff. Like the perfect synergy of tube and SS sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Shout-Out For Ayre!

I can only chime in here: when I got the /20 upgrade for my power amp it turned our one channels had taken a hit. Ayre replaced the entire channel, no questions asked.

In my humble opinion Ayre is just outstanding in terms of long term value of your purchase. Purchase, upgrade paths, customer service - simply exemplary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

I own the R twenty equipment . Sound is as warm as tubes but in SS package. I can highly recommend it. I did post on myDAC shootout where I selected a Lampizator B7 over the QX5 though.

Super Moderator

Lampizator does sound amazing from my experience but I still want to hear the QX5 at home.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

All digital sounds different in each system. I've never heard the QX5 to sound anything but excellent. I've heard most of the other contenders, but not all in this range. There are a few at over 18k that I like a bit better, but not much and certainly not for the money (I couldn't afford more than the QX5 unless I felt it was really worth it).

I'm with Mike. I was a tube guy and now I'm just an Ayre guy. I auditioned and purchased from Johnny at Audio Connections also as many know. If I lived in the south, I'd get it from Mike after meeting him. Just a great guy with tons of passion. The only amp that I like better with Vandersteen's is Richard's amp. Since he designed it, it should work better, but it's also costlier. I personally like the new R/20 series better than Boulder, D'Agastino, Constellation, Solution and Tidal. I've also yet to hear a tube amp be able to do all that the Ayre can do. Best of both worlds, it just nails it. Love the upgrade program too.

I have an AX5twenty. It's an absolutely fantastic integrated for my Dyn Focus 160s.

Super Moderator

Congrats on the AX-5 Twenty. After trying a bunch of gear, my Ayre seems to suit me fine.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
    I have an AX5twenty. It's an absolutely fantastic integrated for my Dyn Focus 160s.
    Seems rather odd after you have gone out of your way to bash Ayre on various forums. What changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tone View Post
    Seems rather odd after you have gone out of your way to bash Ayre on various forums. What changed?
    Tone-lock

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Shout-Out For Ayre!