Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MSB Select DAC

MSB Select DAC

Tomorrow I will have the opportunity to hear MSB's Select DAC during an event at David Michael Audio. At around $90k this one is way, way out of my price range but I couldn't pass up the chance to hear it.

Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

re: MSB Select DAC

Hi Jim,

Cool! I'd love to hear/read what you think of it! I wasn't really prepared for how good it was...

alexandre

Re: MSB Select DAC

Jim - Enjoy the listening session. Let us know how you like it.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

I just returned from my audition of the new MSB Select DAC at David Michael Audio which is located about 45 minutes from my house. The Select DAC was paired with MSB's Platinum Mono Blocks and Quad's 2912 speakers. The source material was CD's and digital files and at least those I remember hearing were all redbook 16/44.1.

I was able to rotate into the sweet spot on a couple of occasions, and believe me there is a sweet spot when listening to these Quads. The sound from that location was excellent. Right up there with some of the best I have heard in demos. Surprisingly the set-up provided all the bass I would ever need from speakers. (I am sure that some of you can never get enough. )

I could find nothing missing. The sound was detailed but never bright. The bass was taunt and musical. Voices were very realistic. It seemed to get more out of Redbook files than just about any other system I have auditioned.

Is it worth ~$90k. Not for me. Even if it was the best digital I have ever heard, and I am not saying it is or isn't based on this session, it wasn't that much better than much lower priced offerings.

So for those of you who can afford to play in that ~$100k digital sandbox that includes the likes of dCs, Esoteric Grandioso etc you now have another player. I'm glad I don't have to choose amongst them.
    Jim

Audioshark

$90,000 for a DAC? I'm sure it was great. MSB makes nice stuff, but holy cow! Like you said Jim "it wasn't that much better than much lower priced offerings."

As a side, I think your Meridian with its filters is still damn good.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    $90,000 for a DAC? I'm sure it was great. MSB makes nice stuff, but holy cow! Like you said Jim "it wasn't that much better than much lower priced offerings."

Mike I agree. I don't sit listening to my set-up with the Meridian thinking I am missing much.

The whole pricing structure of high end audio is getting ridiculous.
    Jim

Jim, What a great opportunity. Do you happen to know which clock 33 or 77?

I can't get my digital head around those price points. No doubt it sounds great like the dSC stack I heard. I honestly couldn't tell the difference at this level compared to cheaper DACs.

Surely a balanced Lampizator Golden Gate is got to be up there. And even that big hand built box of tubes, copper and wood is expensively priced IMO...

Speakeasy

GG is not built of wood. Total metal enclosure.

If there is wood inside, its for isolation.

The BOM is high (compared to retail price) and parts are hard to come by, hence a bit of waiting time.

Still $18K vs $89K, what is there to compare? Different galaxies.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post
    Jim, What a great opportunity. Do you happen to know which clock 33 or 77?
    I came in a bit late and Vince had probably already covered that point. I believe it was the 33 version of the clock but not the final version. During another session I was in another room talking with Larry who indicated this was still a pre-production unit. Production units will sound better as he had just given instructions to upgrade the transformers on the first run of 50 units.
    Jim

Lets see, $90,000 for an MSB DAC.....

Or $85,000 for a 2016 Porsche Cayman fully equipped.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Double-D View Post
    Lets see, $90,000 for an MSB DAC.....

Or $85,000 for a 2016 Porsche Cayman fully equipped.

Dan, since I'm in car mode, I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing.

Now which one has better overall engineering, parts costs, etc.? Hmm...

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Thx for the update Jim. Spending north of $20K on a DAC is not for me. The technology is moving too fast and these devices depreciate faster. However, always fun and exciting to see and listen to these units. The hope is that the technology will trickle down to lesser priced DACs.

Mike

Dan, since I'm in car mode, I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing.

Now which one has better overall engineering, parts costs, etc.? Hmm...
    Ill take the Cayman GTS in a heartbeat.

Mike

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    Ill take the Cayman GTS in a heartbeat.
    Me too! A mid engine bad ass.

Mike.......Engineering perfection is in the Porsche. So is the fun factor. I ask myself this, which one of these two expensive items will get the most use, provide the most satisfaction, and keep me excited to enjoy it daily? It won't be some gold anodized box in my sound room, not at that price point.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Mike -

I had a 2006 Cayman S. It was a little under powered but a blast to drive. Since then I owned a C63 and (still own) an M4 (coupe). Neither drives as nice as the CS.

but....back to the MSB...

Mike

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Quote Originally Posted by Double-D View Post
    Mike.......Engineering perfection is in the Porsche. So is the fun factor. I ask myself this, which one of these two expensive items will get the most use, provide the most satisfaction, and keep me excited to enjoy it daily? It won't be some gold anodized box in my sound room, not at that price point.
    I couldn't agree more...............the Porsche would be my choice, it's not even a close decision.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Porsche, yes please!

This is is exactly the issue I have with DACs in general. Like computers, subject to Moore's Law and huge depreciation. For less than $2K on a complete iFi iDSD/iTube/iUSB rig which is around the spend on a good computer, I still have a big stiffy.

Speakeasy

Steve, I have theiDSD and the Mercury/Gemini/IUSB/iPurifier and it still does not hold a candle to my plain vanilla Big7. Great for the money, but not in the same league. Indeed the plain L4 DSD-only is still a few notches above the iDSD….and remember, I own them all.

On another note car prices are faar cheaoper in the US. That same Porsche will run more like $130K here.

Having said all that, give me the BMW i8 any day….I was just at BMW Welt in Munich a few days ago and am in LOVE!!!

images.jpegimages-3.jpegimages-2.jpeg
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Has anyone heard a Dac V Diamond yet???

Norman... We will be in Munich Later in the year. Would love to do the rounds there.

No doubt the Lampizators outperforms the iFi. I'm still on the sidelines and content to peddle car in the DAC world for now.

My McIntosh MCD1100 is no slouch in the PCM world either but this goes to show just how quickly DAC technology has been moving along in the past few years. I hope McIntosh is more selective with its DAC product positioning in the future.

Back to this thread, I couldn't contemplate spend upwards of $100K on a DAC or a digital stack given the rate of depreciation and obsolescence.

Speakeasy

MSB Select DAC

$90K is nuts for a DAC but for those arguing against it on the basis of obsolescence (I.e., technology changing so fast, it doesn't make sense to spend that much if the DAC is going to become a door stop in 2/3 years), the $90K at MSB will buy you a lifetime of updates (both software and hardware) as the platform is improved upon so you could argue it would be the last DAC you would need to buy since it will be constantly updated to MSB's latest thinking, presuming you like the MSB house sound and that house sound is maintained but improved upon over the course of the ensuing updates, which is unlike what I have read with the PS Audio software updates where the SQ seemed to shift from one update to the next. Not sure you will get that lifetime update protection with the Porsche . In fact, I would wager the bills start racking up pretty quickly on maintenance and repairs (post warranty period), pretty quickly with the Porsche

I'm not in anyway arguing for the MSB DAC at this price point but I'm just sayin...
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Porsche, yes please!

This is is exactly the issue I have with DACs in general. Like computers, subject to Moore's Law and huge depreciation. For less than $2K on a complete iFi iDSD/iTube/iUSB rig which is around the spend on a good computer, I still have a big stiffy.
    I bought the Playback Designs MPS-5 dac-transport in 2006. it was $15k list price back then. it's dac was software upgradable. it was at the top of the heap then, and has continued to be at or near the top of dacs....particularly on the dsd side of things. it is now on it's 25th software release.

finally after 9 years, for the last 6 months or so I've been 'looking' at alternatives. there are a few candidates but still the performance difference is not very much. the MPS-5 still sounds magnificent 9 years later. and it still commands value as a used piece.

so a dac does not need to be a 24 or 36 month proposition if carefully purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    $90K is nuts for a DAC but for those arguing against it on the basis of obsolescence (I.e., technology changing so fast, it doesn't make sense to spend that much if the DAC is going to become a door stop in 2/3 years), the $90K at MSB will buy you a lifetime of updates (both software and hardware) as the platform is improved upon so you could argue it would be the last DAC you would need to buy since it will be constantly updated to MSB's latest thinking, presuming you like the MSB house sound and that house sound is maintained but improved upon over the course of the ensuing updates, which is unlike what I have read with the PS Audio software updates where the SQ seemed to shift from one update to the next. Not sure you will get that lifetime update protection with the Porsche . In fact, I would wager the bills start racking up pretty quickly on maintenance and repairs (post warranty period), pretty quickly with the Porsche

I'm not in anyway arguing for the MSB DAC at this price point but I'm just sayin...

It's all a measure of personal value. It occurs to me that some of these comments would makes those whom posses a marginal economic condition which makes this dac a no brainer are made to feel some how out of line. That's all good if thats what we want here. Sometimes those individuals can bring a great deal of value to audio forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    I bought the Playback Designs MPS-5 dac-transport in 2006. it was $15k list price back then. it's dac was software upgradable. it was at the top of the heap then, and has continued to be at or near the top of dacs....particularly on the dsd side of things. it is now on it's 25th software release.

finally after 9 years, for the last 6 months or so I've been 'looking' at alternatives. there are a few candidates but still the performance difference is not very much. the MPS-5 still sounds magnificent 9 years later. and it still commands value as a used piece.

so a dac does not need to be a 24 or 36 month proposition if carefully purchased.
    I was just talking to Andreas the other day and while he is coming with an MPS-3 replacement, he regularly has his team of "Golden Ears" compare the MPS-5 to the field and last time, while he was thinking it might be time for new hardware, the determination by the group was there was no reason to do so. He has nothing coming to replace the unit! Pretty impressive. What he does with his fpga's and firmware updates is incredible. If the MPD-5 did as good of job with PCM as MSB it might be on my list.

I was just talking to Andreas the other day and while he is coming with an MPS-3 replacement, he regularly has his team of "Golden Ears" compare the MPS-5 to the field and last time, while he was thinking it might be time for new hardware, the determination by the group was there was no reason to do so. He has nothing coming to replace the unit! Pretty impressive. What he does with his fpga's and firmware updates is incredible. If the MPD-5 did as good of job with PCM as MSB it might be on my list.
    what other SOTA dac/transport is still a current model 9 years later (with only free software upgrades)?

none.

that is value received to a buyer.

it's not chopped liver with PCM either. I'm listening to a wonderful sounding 176/24 HRx Reference Recording of Elger (HR-129) off my server right now. and I listen to lots of superb sounding redbook off my server all the time. I agree that there are better dacs for PCM at higher price points.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Norman... We will be in Munich Later in the year. Would love to do the rounds there.

No doubt the Lampizators outperforms the iFi. I'm still on the sidelines and content to peddle car in the DAC world for now.

My McIntosh MCD1100 is no slouch in the PCM world either but this goes to show just how quickly DAC technology has been moving along in the past few years. I hope McIntosh is more selective with its DAC product positioning in the future.

Back to this thread, I couldn't contemplate spend upwards of $100K on a DAC or a digital stack given the rate of depreciation and obsolescence.
    Super! Link me closer to the date and I can give you a few tips based on my limited experience. The Welt and Museum are must go, and if you like Tech history, the Deutches Museum as well…the largest of its kind in the world they say. Some good restaurants near Odeansplatz and food in Germany seems to be the cheapest in all Europe, except maybe for Spain. Salzburg has a music festival on until late August and its 100 mins drive from South Munich. You need a highway sticker though…$9 for 10 days.

Personally, I would never contemplate $100K for ANY component, even if funds were not a problem. For $100K, you could fly around the world and see every concert live that tickled your fancy.
    NORMAN

Me. Have one playing right now. It's considerably better and more organic than the MSB DAC IV I had (non-Plus model, so many generations old).

My old DAC IV was the best DAC I had heard at that point. Nothing improved on it, until I heard the SELECT, which was in a different galaxy. And now the DAC V, which is not better than the SELECT, of course, but gives some of the magic. I'm curious to hear the Signature DAC V now, and see how it compares to the Diamond...

what other SOTA dac/transport is still a current model 9 years later (with only free software upgrades)?

none.

that is value received to a buyer.

it's not chopped liver with PCM either. I'm listening to a wonderful sounding 176/24 HRx Reference Recording of Elger (HR-129) off my server right now. and I listen to lots of superb sounding redbook off my server all the time. I agree that there are marginally better dacs for PCM at higher price points.
    Mike,

No question it's PCM is very good, I didn't mean to imply otherwise I just prefer the r2r design there. It's hard to conceive of a better 9 year value in the sota arena than what PBD has done.

Quote Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
    Me. Have one playing right now. It's considerably better and more organic than the MSB DAC IV I had (non-Plus model, so many generations old).

My old DAC IV was the best DAC I had heard at that point. Nothing improved on it, until I heard the SELECT, which was in a different galaxy. And now the DAC V, which is not better than the SELECT, of course, but gives some of the magic. I'm curious to hear the Signature DAC V now, and see how it compares to the Diamond...
    Thanks very much. May I ask what input you are using (Renderer, Quad USB, other)?? Your clock? Also, a little more perspective on the improvements would be awesome!

Sure. The unit we have came with I2S only (as well as Coax, Toslink, AES/EBU, all standard). Since we have the UMT Plus transport (and a Diamond Power Base), that's what we used at first, with great results.

When we did our Music Talks event a couple of weeks ago, Vince Galbo brought the Quad USB input for the DAC V, and that's what we've been using since, hooked up to an Aurender N10.

I don't think the DAC V Renderer is quite done yet, but we'll get one for sure once it's out

My "path" along MSB was, in order of purchase/auditions: DAC IV Signature, DAC IV Diamond, Analog DAC, SELECT, DAC V Diamond. What I've noticed is that MSB has been progressively improving its analog outputs (I've also noticed other major DAC brands doing the same). That results in a more natural sound, one that doesn't get fatiguing or too frontal at high volume levels. The DAC IV was a fantastic piece when I had it, and as I said, the best overall DAC I had heard up to that point, but it was not perfect. Its volume control, for instance, was not comparable to a full fledged preamp. MSB's goal, with its latest designs, is to replace people's preamps, and for that, they need quality analog stages and volume controls, and that's what we got with the latest batch of products, starting with the Analog DAC, and now with the SELECT.

I'd say the DAC V is smoother, yet more resolute than the DAC IV. The whole "presence" thing that sold me into the brand is still there, in spades. Materialization is big with these DACs, even with the Analog DAC. What you get, stepping up to the DAC V from the Analog, for instance, is a more precise soundstage, with instruments more clearly defined. So, for complex and big classical works, a DAC V will provide a substantial improvement over the Analog.

The fit and finish of these new units (again, starting with the Analog DAC) is much improved too, as MSB has bought CNC machines, and brought production in-house. Everything is made there now, including the spiked feet of the DACs!

I hope this helps

cheers,
    alex

Sure. The unit we have came with I2S only (as well as Coax, Toslink, AES/EBU, all standard). Since we have the UMT Plus transport (and a Diamond Power Base), that's what we used at first, with great results.

When we did our Music Talks event a couple of weeks ago, Vince Galbo brought the Quad USB input for the DAC V, and that's what we've been using since, hooked up to an Aurender N10.

I don't think the DAC V Renderer is quite done yet, but we'll get one for sure once it's out

My "path" along MSB was, in order of purchase/auditions: DAC IV Signature, DAC IV Diamond, Analog DAC, SELECT, DAC V Diamond. What I've noticed is that MSB has been progressively improving its analog outputs (I've also noticed other major DAC brands doing the same). That results in a more natural sound, one that doesn't get fatiguing or too frontal at high volume levels. The DAC IV was a fantastic piece when I had it, and as I said, the best overall DAC I had heard up to that point, but it was not perfect. Its volume control, for instance, was not comparable to a full fledged preamp. MSB's goal, with its latest designs, is to replace people's preamps, and for that, they need quality analog stages and volume controls, and that's what we got with the latest batch of products, starting with the Analog DAC, and now with the SELECT.

I'd say the DAC V is smoother, yet more resolute than the DAC IV. The whole "presence" thing that sold me into the brand is still there, in spades. Materialization is big with these DACs, even with the Analog DAC. What you get, stepping up to the DAC V from the Analog, for instance, is a more precise soundstage, with instruments more clearly defined. So, for complex and big classical works, a DAC V will provide a substantial improvement over the Analog.

The fit and finish of these new units (again, starting with the Analog DAC) is much improved too, as MSB has bought CNC machines, and brought production in-house. Everything is made there now, including the spiked feet of the DACs!

I hope this helps

cheers,
    alex
    Thanks again. Can you compare the N10 to Quad USB versus UMT to I2S?

.........What you get, stepping up to the DAC V from the Analog, for instance, is a more precise soundstage, with instruments more clearly defined. So, for complex and big classical works, a DAC V will provide a substantial improvement over the Analog.

cheers,
    alex
    when you say above...."a DAC V will provide a substantial improvement over the Analog." are you referring to the 'MSB Analog DAC' specifically? or to analog in general?

since you capitalized 'Analog' I presume you were referring to the MSB Analog DAC. but meanings can be misconstrued. not that some might not think it does those things better than analog might do them, the question becomes; was that your meaning? and was the play on words intentional?

They had that DAC there yesterday too. I didn't listen to it but others who attended may have. I know several people in another room were auditioning the Analog DAC.
    Jim

Thanks again. Can you compare the N10 to Quad USB versus UMT to I2S?
    Sure! We actually had 3 sources, as we also had an Auralic Aries at hand.

Roughly, here's my finding:

Aries - gobs of detail, sharp decays, to the point of being unnatural to some.
    Aurender - smooth, relaxed, very natural.
    UMT - Like the Aurender, with a touch more bite.

Neither source embarassed itself, and played as expect, commensurable to their price point. I could live with either one, but the Aurender is just more convenient.

The Quad USB input was new once we put it in, while the I2S wasn't. So at some point, I'll do the comparisons again.

when you say above...."a DAC V will provide a substantial improvement over the Analog." are you referring to the 'MSB Analog DAC' specifically? or to analog in general?

since you capitalized 'Analog' I presume you were referring to the MSB Analog DAC. but meanings can be misconstrued. not that some might not think it does those things better than analog might do them, the question becomes; was that your meaning? and was the play on words intentional?
    Hi Mike!

Yes, I meant the Analog DAC

But Mike, you need to audition the SELECT, or at least the DAC V. Heck, an Analog DAC will make you question your current beliefs.

alexandre

alexandre,

Any other news about the difference between the DAC IV Plus, the DAC IV Select and and DAC V that causes the improvements? I hear it is largely software but some hardware. Any hardware changes in addition to the software? Larry in the DAC V video below at the 1:20 mark talks about this "new technology". Any news on what it is?????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fTJQTmMCvE

Talking with Larry yesterday it seems there will be a compete Select Line at some point. There will be an amp (and I believe a transport) to match the Select styling. For those who want their complete stack to be of the same design.
    Jim

Paul,

AFAIK, the improvements in DAC V comes from better, more precise DAC modules, better analog stage/volume control, and better isolation through the use of the new Quad USB port. It uses the same "platform" as the previous DAC IV (and DAC IV SELECT).

The real leapfrog was the new platform that was designed for the new SELECT, as well as the new DAC modules, that they call "Hybrid DACs".

I can ask Larry (or Vince) and see what specifically Larry was referring by that part of the video...

cheers,
    alex

In the video he clearly is referring to a "proprietary technology" which was developed for the DAC IV Select (and is separate from all of the obvious changes in the new top of the line Select). He made it sound like this "special sauce" made a huge difference in SQ for the DAC IV Select that carries over to the DAC V. Wish I could find something substantive about its make-up.

But a 45k phono stage on the other hand...
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    It ain't $90k and it won't be outdated next month.

I am starting to understand the financial crash with just this one thread. Are bankers audiophiles???

Hi Mike!

Yes, I meant the Analog DAC

But Mike, you need to audition the SELECT, or at least the DAC V. Heck, an Analog DAC will make you question your current beliefs.

alexandre
    Alexandre,

I was very impressed with what I heard in your Avantgarde/Audiopax/MSB room at Newport. amazing PCM sound. even though it was a very unfamiliar system it definitely caught my attention and so I have high regard for the MSB performance. I know that was not the very top MSB unit.

so I place no limits on what gear I have not heard can do.

but you have not heard analog in my room either. so we both have references that the other one has not heard.

I am on the hunt for a possible next step up in digital; we will see where that takes me.

best regards,

Mike

Mike,

No no, I meant beliefs in what digital can do, not digital x analog! Not getting into that!!!!!

And BTW, that DAC in the Audiopax room... It's the entry-level

cheers,
    alex

Alexandre,

I was very impressed with what I heard in your Avantgarde/Audiopax/MSB room at Newport. amazing PCM sound. even though it was a very unfamiliar system it definitely caught my attention and so I have high regard for the MSB performance. I know that was not the very top MSB unit.

so I place no limits on what gear I have not heard can do.

but you have not heard analog in my room either. so we both have references that the other one has not heard.

I am on the hunt for a possible next step up in digital; we will see where that takes me.

best regards,

Mike

I think if you take the time to hear MSB Select, then you'll agree that it is actually a bargain at $90k...

...wish I could say that with a straight face
    Magico M2
    AMG V12 (Teatro cart)
    Lampizator Atlantic Plus DSD512
    Aesthetix Calypso Signature Preamp
    Luxman C-900u Preamp
    Auorasound VIDA (phono-stage)
    Parasound JC 1+ monos
    Aurender N100h
    Nordost Frey 2
    HRS, Rix Rax

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by BayStBroker View Post
    I think if you take the time to hear MSB Select, then you'll agree that it is actually a bargain at $90k...

...wish I could say that with a straight face
    LMAO.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    It ain't $90k and it won't be outdated next month.

Like I said, it's a personal value thing. One man's $45k phono is another's $90k DAC. I don't see the purpose in judging buyers of either. Particularly on a forum about high end gear.

Mike,

No no, I meant beliefs in what digital can do, not digital x analog! Not getting into that!!!!!

And BTW, that DAC in the Audiopax room... It's the entry-level

cheers,
    alex
    thanks Alex.

I'd love for my digital reference (both PCM and dsd all resolutions) to be reset at a higher point and hear how my own system can take full advantage of that.

your view of the MSB does matter to me and i'll look closer when I have the opportunity. the 'Select' will not be on my radar but the other levels might be.

best,

Mike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

MSB Select DAC