Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Harbeth Stands for a newbie...

Get site! Just found all of you a few days ago and have been readind through past posts on all things Harbeth. I have a pair of 40.1 on the way from England expected to be here by October. I've been researching stands and would really like to get peoples real world experience/impression's on option's available to me. The speaker's come with the standard Foundation Stands which I've read good reviews on but latlely I'm being to wonder about making my own since wood working is how I make my living.

Anyway, do the stands like Skylan or Sound Anchors really make a difference or is it all psychology on any given day depending on my mood? My room is 20x30 and my gear consists of McIntosh C2300, MC402, MCD500 and a MT10 Turntable...should sound alright with the 40.1

And please, l love brutal honesty.

Super Moderator

Re: Harbeth Stands for a newbie...

Welcome to the forum AudioNeurosis! Thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I have Sound Anchors on my 30.1s and they sound great. Very solid, heavy, stable and well made, I have not, and I suspect most have not, tested several set of stands so I can't compare to Skylans. But stands are essential to make your monitors sing.

If you go to the HUG forums they're all high on Something Solid (pictured), a spindly looking affair made in the UK. I like Sound Anchors because of their heft, the spikes will pierce carpeting easier and they're generally more stable (resist tipping). Good thing about the 40.1 is the low CofG.

I recommend Pro Audio Bono stands with their anti vibration feet.
    Vladek just issued a new line dedicated to Harbeth.
    Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

I'm partial to "wood", over steel...with Harbies. I loved the Tyler stands, I had with my 7s and 30.1s.

Tyler Acoustic Speaker Stands
    CD

DAC/Pre-amp - PSAudio DsJ > Power-amp - > Speakers - PMC TwentyFive 23s

Do I think stands make a difference? Hell yes. They matter. I like steel. Heavy is good.

BTW, for future reference, everything makes a difference. EVERYTHING! For instance, I can't prove it but my system sounds better when my wife is out of town. If she leaves the country it's nirvana.
    System 1: Matrix Element M -> Sugden A21se -> Klipsch Cornwall 3.

System 2: Matrix Element X -> Exposure 3510 -> Heco Direkt.

Most Harbeths will sound their best with rigid light stands not heavy stands, try it , its true

Quote Originally Posted by jaxwired View Post
    Do I think stands make a difference? Hell yes. They matter. I like steel. Heavy is good.

BTW, for future reference, everything makes a difference. EVERYTHING! For instance, I can't prove it but my system sounds better when my wife is out of town. If she leaves the country it's nirvana.

Quote Originally Posted by KenSea View Post
    Most Harbeths will sound their best with rigid light stands not heavy stands, try it , its true
    I won't argue. Ironically the stands I used when I owned harbeth SHL5s was a more open wood stand. A gorgeous pair of stands created for me by Chris Futrick of TimberNation.

image.jpg

image.jpg
    System 1: Matrix Element M -> Sugden A21se -> Klipsch Cornwall 3.

System 2: Matrix Element X -> Exposure 3510 -> Heco Direkt.

Resonant Woods also make great wood speaker stands for Harbeth.

http://resonantwoods.com/audio-products/speaker-stands/

Super Moderator

I have a pair of these from my 40.1's and love them.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I have a pair of these from my 40.1's and love them.
    Resonant Woods?

Super Moderator

Yes, bought them used.

NAD C 658 streamer.

the skylan stands from Canada are great ! so as the Hi Fi Racks Stands from UK... Both great stands

Absoultely love this one.

Paul

Thanks to Jerome for introduce this to me.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Absoultely love this one.

No offense; it's a nice stand. But that looks like something, you could pretty easily...make yourself (especially for a 40, where the stand is small).

What is it anyway?
    CD

No offense taken
    If you can work with wood I guess you can make any wood stands but last time when I had one stands with one of my carpenter the finish wasn't close to this. I guess that makes this stands shines. I love the little fine details , the finish and how it looks too. I tried the Foundation stands , Skylan Stands, DIY stands and Sounds Anchors stands and nothing come close to what this one does to sounds. Especially the bearing and isolation feets make huge difference as what Jerome said. The bass got much much tighter and sounds stage got deeper. Its like a you upgrade the whole system. Love it
    Paul

No offense taken
    If you can work with wood I guess you can make any wood stands but last time when I had one stands with one of my carpenter the finish wasn't close to this. I guess that makes this stands shines. I love the little fine details , the finish and how it looks too. I tried the Foundation stands , Skylan Stands, DIY stands and Sounds Anchors stands and nothing come close to what this one does to sounds. Especially the bearing and isolation feets make huge difference as what Jerome said. The bass got much much tighter and sounds stage got deeper. Its like a you upgrade the whole system. Love it
    And yet; unless I missed it...still a secret?
    CD

I just add the Stillpoints between my speakers and PAB stands and I'm just shaking my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul

I just add the Stillpoints between my speakers and PAB stands and I'm just shaking my head.

Quite a few manufacturers appear not to be too fond of the idea, but Stillpoints under speakers do usually deliver a significant SQ improvement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Oh man. I just can't believe it. The isolation is good stuff

Paul

Oh man. I just can't believe it. The isolation is good stuff

Paul....
    Your 40.1 isolation looks very close to the one I had on mine.
    These babies shine only with that kind of isolation. The bass especially becomes as tight as the Wilson one, but goes lower than the Sasha II. At the level of the Alexia. But richer in tones. Much more rich and colorful.
    The Alexia sounds much colder and sterile in comparison.
    And the treble is also the big winner from the clearer bass.
    Congrats !
    I haven't seen until now a really good isolation for the 40.1, other than mine. It may be possible that we are the only 2 persons in the world who really heard what the 40.1 can do !
    ( PS : I finally sold my 40.1. Too invasive visually in my living room. But I may buy them again one day. They are to me of the very best speakers ever made. With careful isolation. )
    Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

Thanks Jerome. I was thinking about your set up as well.

Was it the Stillpoints you use as well ?

Paul

Thanks Jerome. I was thinking about your set up as well.

Was it the Stillpoints you use as well ?

No Paul. I am a PAB guy !
    Ni-Manganese Ceramic 5 AVF. 320 euros per piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
    No Paul. I am a PAB guy !
    Ni-Manganese Ceramic 5 AVF. 320 euros per piece.
    Ah. I see. When I saw your pic. They looked very similar.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post

I haven't seen until now a really good isolation for the 40.1, other than mine. It may be possible that we are the only 2 persons in the world who really heard what the 40.1 can do !

After listen to them with the still points all day today I totally agree with you. It's completely different animal now. Wow

P.S : I shouldn't leave out the thank you note to the PAB stands with the isolation footers as well Harbeth Stands for a newbie...

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by puroagave View Post
    If you go to the HUG forums they're all high on Something Solid (pictured), a spindly looking affair made in the UK. I like Sound Anchors because of their heft, the spikes will pierce carpeting easier and they're generally more stable (resist tipping). Good thing about the 40.1 is the low CofG.

+1

I have tried the Skylans and the steel frame ones (not sure who makes those; I have borrowed them from the Graham dealer) on the Harbeths P3ESR and much preffered the latter.

Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team