Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

The Vinyl Stack ULTRA...new way to ultrasonic clean vinyl

Not exactly a new way to ultrasonic but another option to consider. I purchased the vinyl stack off ebay a few months ago and have been using it with the Trusonic cleaner. I'm very satisfied with the results, the apparatus itself is well thought out and crafted, its a 'finished' product. If you already have a wet-vac RCM it will augment perfectly with this unit and covers all the bases. The best part is cost, about $700 for the whole package. FWIW, this is what Harry Weisfeld currently uses at home.

Ultrasonic Vinyl Record Cleaning Kit "Vinyl Stack Ultra Sonic Spin Kit" | eBay

Amazon.com: Trusonik 2.5 Gallon (10L) Ultrasonic Cleaner: Health & Personal Care

Re: The Vinyl Stack ULTRA...new way to ultrasonic clean vinyl

I like the price and stacking capability!

Allen

Pretty cool price is right any problem with labels getting wet as it does not have wipers like the Audio desk . Also the Audio desk has fan cooling to dry the records but is also needed to cool off the generator for the ultra sonics . Does this unit need a cool down time the audio desk will burn out if you skip the fan time I am told.
    Lyra Atlas, tri-planner, clear audio statement, Burmester 100, Ayre KXR20, Ayre MXR20, Ayre DX5, Adept Response line conditioner, Ayre signature interconnects, Cardas clear power cables,cardas clear speaker cables and Martin Logan CLX with Decenti subs with Cardas hex link.
    Not in use Infinity QLS and Ohm F

Garth, this 'system' doesn't contact the playing surface of your records, it merely hangs them in a bath of cleaning solution while rotating a 1 RPM. The Vinyl Stack is height adjustable (on the fly) and it will dunk the vinyl to whatever depth you wish. It can't wet the label unless you intentionally do so. There is no 'drying' feature, other than drip drying on the stand (optional). The Trusonik is the same unit David uses for the v-8, the advantage over the AD and KL is the adjustable cavitation and heater.

I recently acquired the Loricraft which is a point nozzle type machine, so far I can say its leagues ahead of the tube/slot vac type machines I've used (VPI, Nitty Gritty, okki nokki, etc). I'll go on to say its deep clean capabilities have improved records previously cleaned on the KL and my own DIY ultrasonic.

Quote Originally Posted by puroagave View Post
    Garth, this 'system' doesn't contact the playing surface of your records, it merely hangs them in a bath of cleaning solution while rotating a 1 RPM. The Vinyl Stack is height adjustable (on the fly) and it will dunk the vinyl to whatever depth you wish. It can't wet the label unless you intentionally do so. There is no 'drying' feature, other than drip drying on the stand (optional). The Trusonik is the same unit David uses for the v-8, the advantage over the AD and KL is the adjustable cavitation and heater.

I recently acquired the Loricraft which is a point nozzle type machine, so far I can say its leagues ahead of the tube/slot vac type machines I've used (VPI, Nitty Gritty, okki nokki, etc). I'll go on to say its deep clean capabilities have improved records previously cleaned on the KL and my own DIY ultrasonic.
    Yay! I agree. The combination of point nozzle and ultrasonic is terrific. Have you tried the SRC (the "Syntax Reverse Clean," so named because it was inspired by a post from that indefatigable vinyl guy from Germany, Syntax?)
    He had recommended cleaning in the ultrasonic and drying via point nozzle. It works great. Not recommended by KL- since they have informed me that you risk wetting the electronics inside the KL by lifting out a wet record (though the version of the machine I have allows for 'wash only'). Thus, use of a DIY ultrasonic makes even more sense, and is a bargain to boot! Good for you.

Hi Bill, I found another use for the vinyl stack, i use a square plastic tub under the 'stack' in place of the trusonic and thoroughly soak dirt dirty LPs in enzymatic solution for 30-mins at a time at 1 rpm. I read your mention of Syntax's methodology and the vinyl stack/trusonic combo is perfect for that. the Loricraft has been a revelation...like, where-have-you-been-all-my-record-collecting-life?

Hi Bill, I found another use for the vinyl stack, i use a square plastic tub under the 'stack' in place of the trusonic and thoroughly soak dirt dirty LPs in enzymatic solution for 30-mins at a time at 1 rpm. I read your mention of Syntax's methodology and the vinyl stack/trusonic combo is perfect for that. the Loricraft has been a revelation...like, where-have-you-been-all-my-record-collecting-life?
    So, Rob do you rinse the records after the enzyme soak, before putting them into the ultrasonic? Or are you going to the Loricraft after the enzyme soak and then finishing in the ultrasonic?
    This gives you a lot of options.
    I do pre-clean any used record (and some new ones) before they go into the ultrasonic. I have reserved the SRC for the real 'problem children' but haven't really used the SRC method since getting KL's advice. I should probably buy the kit you are talking about to give me this additional flexibility. Then there's glue, which I haven't tried.

I am pretty happy with my VPI 17F / V8 combo for cleaning...but...I have been wondering if replacing the wand oriented VPI with one of the nozzle vacuum units on the market would yield better results. Does anyone know the least expensive way to get into one of the nozzle units, regardless of manufacturer? I don't see Loricraft or KM show up used. The new Pristine Vinyl machine looks good but is not imported to the US.

John

Quote Originally Posted by billhart View Post
    Yay! I agree. The combination of point nozzle and ultrasonic is terrific. Have you tried the SRC (the "Syntax Reverse Clean," so named because it was inspired by a post from that indefatigable vinyl guy from Germany, Syntax?)
    He had recommended cleaning in the ultrasonic and drying via point nozzle. It works great. Not recommended by KL- since they have informed me that you risk wetting the electronics inside the KL by lifting out a wet record (though the version of the machine I have allows for 'wash only'). Thus, use of a DIY ultrasonic makes even more sense, and is a bargain to boot! Good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by billhart View Post
    So, Rob do you rinse the records after the enzyme soak, before putting them into the ultrasonic? Or are you going to the Loricraft after the enzyme soak and then finishing in the ultrasonic?
    This gives you a lot of options.
    I do pre-clean any used record (and some new ones) before they go into the ultrasonic. I have reserved the SRC for the real 'problem children' but haven't really used the SRC method since getting KL's advice. I should probably buy the kit you are talking about to give me this additional flexibility. Then there's glue, which I haven't tried.
    yes, I swap out the tub for the ultrasonic tank and 'finish' with distilled h2o (or deionized when I can get it). the last step is a final clean on the PRC4.

Quote Originally Posted by allvinyl View Post
    I am pretty happy with my VPI 17F / V8 combo for cleaning...but...I have been wondering if replacing the wand oriented VPI with one of the nozzle vacuum units on the market would yield better results. Does anyone know the least expensive way to get into one of the nozzle units, regardless of manufacturer? I don't see Loricraft or KM show up used. The new Pristine Vinyl machine looks good but is not imported to the US.

John
    John: the biggest concern I would have about a used machine, Monks or Loricraft, is whether it has been abused or improperly set up. I think Loricraft in England offers factory specials but I'm not sure whether that carries over to the U.S. distributor. Monks also makes a smaller machine- I haven't tried it, my first impression was too much cost cutting, but after reading more, it might make sense. I think it uses the same German pump as the big Monks-- (can't remember if it is scaled down in power)-- and the turntable, which is a clone of older style japanese turntable, is not only supposed to be quieter than the big Monks (which isn't really very noisy) but offers additional options. Still not cheap, though. If you found a used one from an owner that knew what they were doing and hadn't abused the machine, set it up correctly, etc. you're golden. The other possibility is to check with some dealers in the States who handle Monks or Loricraft, and see if they have a machine that a known customer traded in on one of those new-fangled jobs. The main issue there would be whether the dealer is knowledgeable enough to back you up on some of the simple/stupid stuff. Once I learned my way around the Monks, it isn't all that complicated, but man, the instructions-- maybe I'm just getting old.

Super Moderator

Rob,

Are you still loving the Loricraft record cleaner? Thoughts on it since you've had it?

I've been watching some of the videos on how it works and it looks really good with pretty low maintenance.

Thanks!

Last edited by joeinid; January 2, 2017 at 12:34 AM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Rob,

Are you still loving the Loricraft record cleaner? Thoughts on it since you've had it?

I've been watching some of the videos on how it works and it looks really good with pretty low maintenance.

Thanks!
    Hi Joe, I acquired it as a "poor mans" Keith Monks RCM if $2400 can be called poor mans. I have the newer version with the stronger vacuum motor. It is more fiddly than a VPI or the like as you must level it and tweek it like a turntable for the arm to 'track' properly. Its advantage over slot-type vacuum RCMs like every other design is that it focuses the suction at one point and is more effective at sucking out loose grime.

I use the Lori in conjunction with the DIY Ultra Sonic machine at the final rinse. I allow the records to drip dry when I pull them out of the US machine. Instead of blow drying or vacuuming the record, my last step is to rehydrate the record on the Lori and 'suck dry' it for play/storage. another not insignificant advantage to the Lori is that it leaves the vinyl completely static-free, try that with the VPI, Nitty Gritty, et al.

Super Moderator

Thank you so much! That helps.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

The Vinyl Stack ULTRA...new way to ultrasonic clean vinyl