Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Cool Apple announces 128GB iPod!

https://apple.com/ipod-touch/specs/

Attachment 12206

• There is even hints to a "High Quality Wifi Streaming."
    • Also this is just a refresh.. basically Apple had to detune the processor and battery to meet the price point with out doing a redesign.
    • Expect the next iPod to be much more like the iPhone 6S (3 months away) or iPhone 7 (1year).
    • Not as good as the AK240, but in the same vein, a full on Media Server.

I've seen a few online videos comparing the iPhone to the Pono and few other player and most of the participants couldn't tell which one was which. Without a serious test, I think it's safe to say iPods still perform as expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcavoQQ40Io

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrG29RXxlfc

The market for the iPod is huge, it falls under accessories and help contribute to the $2.68 billion in Q1 of 2015 ($74.6 billion in total, Q1 revenue). Analysts identified the iPod as a weak spot and instead of scrapping it. Apple exploited the weakness and again will make a profit. Ref link

Sneer and scoff all you want, for $400 Music Server/player (and a neutered iPhone/ ultra mini iPad) is going to perform in sales and sonics. It's tough competition out there.

I condone that the AK240 is a fantastic player. It's simple and has lots of flexibility. In fact you can plug an AK240 or AK380 right into a power amp and speakers. Not much is going to beat that.

"That’s right, you can plug the AK240 directly into your power amp via a pair of XLRs. This means that the little device can play the role of a digital music server, a preamplifier, and a stereo DAC—just add a power amp and speakers. The strange-looking but effective cable that makes this feat possible has a pair of full-size XLR male outputs at one end, and at the other end is a small but sturdy metal-shelled box from which protrudes a mini headphone plug and another smaller plug, which connect in tandem to the AK240.
    Of course, in order to utilize this functionality, you have to purchase this compatible cable, which Astell&Kern had build just for its devices and which costs an extra (ahem) $700. But $3,200 for half of a hi-fi system is pretty freakin‘ good when you consider what most audiophiles are willing to pay for a separate player/server, preamp, and DAC." Link Ref

Re: Apple announces 128GB iPod!

This is a shocking turn of events since the iPod Classic was discontinued with no replacement.

I think most people will just use their cell phone.
    George
    -----------------------

Aurender ACS10 Music Server > Holo Audio May KTE R2R Ladder DAC > Pass Labs XP-30 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Renaissance ELS 15A Speakers

Powered By 2X BPT 3.5 Signature Plus Ultra Isolators | Shunyata Research Hydra Triton + Typhon | Shunyata Hydra 2 Power Conditioner

Does it say somewhere what is the maximum audio resolution supported (e.g. 16/48. 24/48, etc.)?
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

Quote Originally Posted by Audioseduction View Post
    Yep, I'll just hang on to my iphone6 with 128gb at least I can call out and receive calls
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by Audioseduction View Post
    That's what I do. Still, at $400 it's less than $1200 iPhone (and if one paid for subsidized plan, The phone has a leased cost-regardless of what was "paid" upfront)

I have an iPod connected to the head unit in my car. First, I don't like bluetooth. It compresses my music and is noticeably worse that the USB or AUX cable. So, when I get in my car, push the on button and drive away the iPod plays right away and is seamlessly integrated into the cars functions. With my phone I have to plug it into either cable, and I want to be able to charge the phone while I drive AND listen to music, and that step is something I do not have to take when a dedicated iPod is connected to the car. It's a luxury I know, but I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    Does it say somewhere what is the maximum audio resolution supported (e.g. 16/48. 24/48, etc.)?
    The iPod does 24 bit / 48kHz. Dollars to Donuts many wouldn't know the difference between a 24/48 vs a 24/96 while driving 65mph down the highway. If someone can, you get an atta boy!

Okay, snark aside, you're in the airport or tucked away in some dark place where ambient noise is a dull rumble or not existent, there could be some differentiation between the the 24/48 and 24/96. But the "resolution" discussion is outside the scope of the iPod. Further, there are external DACs that work wonders for iOS devices.

Besides, most of the music is on CDs anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Yep, I'll just hang on to my iphone6 with 128gb at least I can call out and receive calls
    Cool. Supposing a user was away from a Wifi Hotspot, a cellular data plan becomes important. Generally, when are we not near a wifi hotspot? and when are users away from wifi, do they really need it?

The iPod does wifi and can receive and send communication in all forms over wifi and bluetooth.

Conclusion: The iPhone is a better product, hands down. It does more. The AK240/380 players are much better at music than iOS devices, but for some reason users can't check stocks or Audioshark posts on it?

The last iPod I will ever buy is my 160GB classic which is approaching 10 years old. It works with the MB iPod interface and is no worse than the current iRubbish.

Speakeasy

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    The last iPod I will ever buy is my 160GB classic which is approaching 10 years old. It works with the MB iPod interface and is no worse than the current iRubbish.
    Thank you for your testimony.

With nearly every IOS major version, Apple breaks the tethered accessory interface. Well there's Bluetooth now if you want to try for more than just an in car phone call....

Speakeasy

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    With nearly every IOS major version, Apple breaks the tethered accessory interface. Well there's Bluetooth now if you want to try for more than just an in car phone call....
    Sorry to hear that your iOS device is not working.

Since even our LTE service is poor coverage wise and worse, still painfully slow I won't be streaming on the road. Besides my 6 can do what a touch can and more. I concur with the interface break. As such I hoarded 160 Classics since all our cars (3 MBs, a Toyota, a Beemer and a Mitsubishi) have the classic interface. My bigger beef and this is where I think other players have the edge is expandable storage by way of SS card slots be they SD or micro SD.

Count me in as someone who will happily live with MP3 and AAC on the road or on the beach. This launch does not excite me.
    PureSound PH

Philippine Distributor for:
    Ambience Speaker Systems, CH Precision, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Lamm Industries, Light Harmonic, Master-Built, TechDAS, Townshend, Valvet, Von Schweikert Audio

Jack-It's great to see you here.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

I've been here a while Marky Mark
    PureSound PH

Ambience Speaker Systems, CH Precision, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Lamm Industries, Light Harmonic, Master-Built, TechDAS, Townshend, Valvet, Von Schweikert Audio

Quote Originally Posted by JackD201 View Post
    Since even our LTE service is poor coverage wise and worse, still painfully slow I won't be streaming on the road. Besides my 6 can do what a touch can and more. I concur with the interface break. As such I hoarded 160 Classics since all our cars (3 MBs, a Toyota, a Beemer and a Mitsubishi) have the classic interface. My bigger beef and this is where I think other players have the edge is expandable storage by way of SS card slots be they SD or micro SD.

Count me in as someone who will happily live with MP3 and AAC on the road or on the beach. This launch does not excite me.
    The expandable storage is consumer desire, but with 128GB and AAC files most can go for a long time with out hitting a repeat track.

If Apple makes an expandable storage how will they get users to buy the new product? ( I LOATHE THIS !!!!!)

Give the consumers a SSD SATA slot and let us hand this!

Quote Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
    The expandable storage is consumer desire, but with 128GB and AAC files most can go for a long time with out hitting a repeat track.

If Apple makes an expandable storage how will they get users to buy the new product? ( I LOATHE THIS !!!!!)

Give the consumers a SSD SATA slot and let us hand this!
    I know right? The thing is I've been tethered to iTunes since iTunes' launch. With it comes years of rips and purchases but more than that a slew of playlists for practically any occasion. Obviously I'm from the mixed tape generation While we can actually break free from iTunes and its restrictions, let's say I'm still too lazy too do it fully at this point (because of the hoarding thing). I use Pioneer's Rekordbox software too and have been able to move tracks and entire playlists in bulk to external storage. This sort of opens things up a bit towards changing portable platforms. The car interface thing however is a biggie for me. A real BIG biggie.
    PureSound PH

I am still running the iPd classic 160GB in my Audi A6. In the latest version the Audi even supports the cover art!
    The only problem is that the iPod starts crashing more frequently. It'll always come back nut it is annoying nevertheless. the two SD slots are more stabile in performance.
    What I was hoping is that Apple will introduce an iPos 256 or 500 GB. That would be great for in the car!!
    Hans

Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3 /alternatively JM Lab Point Source Aria 5 (self modified)/ 2x SVS 3000 SB, Audionet AMP (2x), dCS Bartók used as streamer / DAC / preamp, Pro-Ject RPM 9 with Speedbox S and Orthofon MC Vivo Blue, KEF LS50 Nocturne / Sunfire Atmos(kitchen). Patio: Bluesound Node 2i and Focal CMS50.
    RoonServer on Nucleus.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Apple announces 128GB iPod!