Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

What would you reply to this offer

I am looking at a tone arm up grade two different arms seem like a good idea from what I have read both a lot of money like 3 to 4 times the price of my Tri Planar. Both manufactures were willing to sell me the arm and set it up so far so good. A friend came up with this idea. Offer each manufacture one third down listen to both arms same table same cartridge same phono each arm has its own wire. Pick the one I like. Pay the winner the other two thirds so payed in full. No problem so far . The second place is not the poorer arm only the one I liked less no trashing just the way it would work out. The manufacture could and this is their choice return my one third down and I return the arm. Or keep my one third down and I sell the arm on the open market to get all or some of my money back. I got no reply from ether of them. So I would say they did not like my idea. For me it is a lot of cash to buy blind and hope it works out. For them both are low volume items and worth a lot and no one wants to risk damage. I just thought I would get a reply as no we can not do that. Or yes but the following conditions. These arms are more than I paid for my first house.

Maybe I should just stay with what I have I have bought with out hearing something in my own system but not the way I would like to buy. Both companies have a good name and not following up on my idea takes nothing away from that.

What do you think
    Lyra Atlas, tri-planner, clear audio statement, Burmester 100, Ayre KXR20, Ayre MXR20, Ayre DX5, Adept Response line conditioner, Ayre signature interconnects, Cardas clear power cables,cardas clear speaker cables and Martin Logan CLX with Decenti subs with Cardas hex link.
    Not in use Infinity QLS and Ohm F

Re: What would you reply to this offer

Garth.......I can't figure out your logic. You are expecting the second choice tonearm manufacturer to allow you to keep the tonearm for the price of one third down? That doesn't make sense to me. Why would anyone allow you to keep an item for one third of its cost?

How about make an arrangement with the two tonearm manufacturers to purchase both tonearms with the stipulation to each that only one tonearm will be kept and the other will be returned minus a 15% restocking fee. You might find them a bit more receptive to that arrangement. After all, the tonearm you return is now a used tonearm and cannot be sold as new. It seems a bit narrow minded to think a manufacturer would offer a 100% refund on a high-end tonearm once it has been installed on a turntable with a cartridge mounted and used for a period of time, then removed from service, repacked, and returned.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Garth, Frankly I'd stick with the Tri-Planar--damn good Arm--- we all have Itches to scratch--I'm prime offender there too!

But seriously I cannot see many if any current Arms are going to dent the TriP--

it's that good

Put some vinegar on that itch and enjoy you system--good Combo you have there

Bruce

Oh hell no.
    Garth-I think your friend has a few screws loose. I can see why neither company is responding to your offer. It simply doesn't make business sense for either of them to become involved in your shootout.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Double-D View Post
    Garth.......I can't figure out your logic. You are expecting the second choice tonearm manufacturer to allow you to keep the tonearm for the price of one third down? That doesn't make sense to me. Why would anyone allow you to keep an item for one third of its cost?

How about make an arrangement with the two tonearm manufacturers to purchase both tonearms with the stipulation to each that only one tonearm will be kept and the other will be returned minus a 15% restocking fee. You might find them a bit more receptive to that arrangement. After all, the tonearm you return is now a used tonearm and cannot be sold as new. It seems a bit narrow minded to think a manufacturer would offer a 100% refund on a high-end tonearm once it has been installed on a turntable with a cartridge mounted and used for a period of time, then removed from service, repacked, and returned.
    As to the second arm I would like to return it for the deposit back. Your restocking idea has merit 10% sounds better than 15% .
    Lyra Atlas, tri-planner, clear audio statement, Burmester 100, Ayre KXR20, Ayre MXR20, Ayre DX5, Adept Response line conditioner, Ayre signature interconnects, Cardas clear power cables,cardas clear speaker cables and Martin Logan CLX with Decenti subs with Cardas hex link.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Garth, Frankly I'd stick with the Tri-Planar--damn good Arm--- we all have Itches to scratch--I'm prime offender there too!

But seriously I cannot see many if any current Arms are going to dent the TriP--

it's that good

Put some vinegar on that itch and enjoy you system--good Combo you have there

Bruce
    I will likely stick with what I have. If I can not try it to big a risk

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Oh hell no.
    Garth-I think your friend has a few screws loose. I can see why neither company is responding to your offer. It simply doesn't make business sense for either of them to become involved in your shootout.
    Why have sane friends that that is just boring . As to the rest of what you say time is proving you right.

Garth-I think Bruce gave you some good advice. The tonearm you have is a damn nice tonearm and you have a really good system. If you want to open up a new world, buy a tape deck.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    As to the second arm I would like to return it for the deposit back. Your restocking idea has merit 10% sounds better than 15% .
    Garth.......You think a restocking fee of 10% on one third down would tempt a manufacturer? Not a chance.

Lets mirror this proposal. Lets pretend you manufacture a premium high-end tonearm and lets say its price is $7500.00. Would you ship your brand new premium tonearm to an unknown individual for a $2500.00 deposit? Would you accept 10% of the deposit, $250.00 as a restocking fee for your now pre-owned $7500.00 tonearm? The idea is wacky at best. Were I the tonearm manufacturer, I would not have responded to a request like that either.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Garth-I think Bruce gave you some good advice. The tonearm you have is a damn nice tonearm and you have a really good system. If you want to open up a new world, buy a tape deck.
    And that is yet another option. The down side to that is I have a lot of music on records

Quote Originally Posted by Double-D View Post
    Garth.......You think a restocking fee of 10% on one third down would tempt a manufacturer? Not a chance.

Lets mirror this proposal. Lets pretend you manufacture a premium high-end tonearm and lets say its price is $7500.00. Would you ship your brand new premium tonearm to an unknown individual for a $2500.00 deposit? Would you accept 10% of the deposit, $250.00 as a restocking fee for your now pre-owned $7500.00 tonearm? The idea is wacky at best. Were I the tonearm manufacturer, I would not have responded to a request like that either.
    At 10% the restock would be close to 4,000 now I am operating in Canadian dollars. I will likely stick with the Tri Planar I have a SME V as well

If your paying full retail on these then find a dealer that will let you audition them at home. That's a reasonable request from a dealer. If no dealer is available or willing then offer to buy them both from the manufacturer for dealer cost. That's also reasonable without an available dealer. If you buy them both at dealer cost you will save enough to sell the loser and still come out ahead of paying full retail for either one.
    System 1: Matrix Element M -> Sugden A21se -> Klipsch Cornwall 3.

System 2: Matrix Element X -> Exposure 3510 -> Heco Direkt.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxwired View Post
    If your paying full retail on these then find a dealer that will let you audition them at home. That's a reasonable request from a dealer. If no dealer is available or willing then offer to buy them both from the manufacturer for dealer cost. That's also reasonable without an available dealer. If you buy them both at dealer cost you will save enough to sell the loser and still come out ahead of paying full retail for either one.
    I am not paying full retail but I am not a dealer nor do I know what a dealers costs are. Buying both arms is out of reach beyond my pain limit

Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    nor do I know what a dealers costs
    40 to 50% off retail.
    System 1: Matrix Element M -> Sugden A21se -> Klipsch Cornwall 3.

System 2: Matrix Element X -> Exposure 3510 -> Heco Direkt.

Thanks good to know

Try a Graham Elite....amazing arm and you can get extra arm wands for easy switches to different carts. That said I feel multiple arms are overrated....you only have one best arm, so what is the likelyhood you want to play second string ? The Graham system allows easy changeover to different carts....that is fun.
    Source: TechDAS AF1, CA Master Innovation, UHA Phase 12-OPS-Vari-EQ RTR, PS Audio PW Mk 2 Dac & Trans Carts: Koetsu Coralstone & Tiger Eye, Dynavector XV-1t, Lyra Olympos Mono Amps: Allnic H5000 DHT phono, Pass XS pre, Pass XS-150 dual chassis mono's Speakers: Wilson Alexandria X-2.2 Cables: Nordost Odin PC, IC, Speaker Signal Grounding: Entreq Silver Tellus (2) and Atlantis Ground wires Isolation: Stillpoints Ultra series, Table Stable TS-140

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team