Experiment [With Photos]: Which machine(s): VPI + Audio Desk + Klaudio actually cleans? - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Experiment [With Photos]: Which machine(s): VPI + Audio Desk + Klaudio actually cleans?

I'm already starting to save up for one of those V8 US jobs which will take me about a year if all goes well, (a lot less time than it would take to try to save up $4k). I'm not going to do 8 records at a time though, I'd have to clean the other 7 again after the first one is done and dried.
    Yes, I want a US machine to add to my VPI. The US will be the final process. The guy who sells the V8 uses a little bit of alcohol and Tergital or photoflo as a surfactant, but I don't think I'll need to if I'm using the VPI first because the RCFs I use already have a surfactant. (Besides, it isn't easy getting Tergitol and I have no place to store it). Of course I'll know more when I get one.

2. Likes MDP liked this post
    Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Experiment [With Photos]: Which machine(s): VPI + Audio Desk + Klaudio actually cleans?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCh View Post
    Good point Mark. I kind of think of it like a car wash. You can spray your car off with high pressure water (no touching with a brush or sponge) and get it mostly clean, but the best clean is using the same high pressure water AND using a sponge with soapy water. Bad analogy?
    That's the exact analogy I was thinking of. Growing up in Minnesota as a kid, cars would get so filthy in the winter that nothing but elbow grease and soap and water would get the grime off.

I think that for most of my records, a good cleaning with the Klaudio will suffice, but for some I think the 2 step process is going to get better results.
    Mark

REL S2 Subwoofers
    Lumin A1 Network Streamer
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Klaudio Ultrasonic record cleaner
    Kimber Select 6063 speaker cables
    Kimber Select 1116 XLR IC's
    Shunyata Cobra Zi-tron,and Ansuz Ceramic power cords,
    Ansuz Mainz D8 power distributer

Taking a break
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MusicDirector View Post
    +1,000,000 Thank you David! I'm looking forward to the info.
    I am working on the document now and hope to complete it today, then post.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Golucid View Post
    I am working on the document now and hope to complete it today, then post.
    Looking forward to reading it!
    Mark

REL S2 Subwoofers
    Lumin A1 Network Streamer
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Klaudio Ultrasonic record cleaner
    Kimber Select 6063 speaker cables
    Kimber Select 1116 XLR IC's
    Shunyata Cobra Zi-tron,and Ansuz Ceramic power cords,
    Ansuz Mainz D8 power distributer

Post Thanks / Like

Who's taking the odds on for the trifecta? I got money on The German.
    Steve

Furutech Passive Power Filtering

Speakeasy

7. Thanks Golucid thanked for this post
    Likes Golucid liked this post
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Who's taking the odds on for the trifecta? I got money on The German.
    I'll pick the machine made in:

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

I just got this info from a dealer that sells the Clearaudio Double Matrix: "The protective layer on a record is very soft. This is what keeps a record from looking like a piece of plumbing pipe after a couple of years. The ultrasonic machines have enough force to remove hardened debris, which means that they will damage the soft protective layer as well".

I'm confused though because The Double Matrix employs ultrasonics, doesn't it? Also Michael Fremer uses a US machine and he would never use nor recommend anything harmful to records for people to use.

I'm confused now because I use a US machine to clean my eyeglasses and the coatings on lenses are just as soft if not softer and I've had no ill effects on my glasses from using it. I don't think a US RCM uses stronger US signals than my eyeglass machine. In fact, maybe even not as strong. I don't know.
    Perhaps your experiment David will verify or bring more clarity on this? I'd like to scientifically verify that statement from the dealer because to me, there seems to be a contradiction what has been apparently proven and what I already know. I could be wrong.

~Eric

Taking a break
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MusicDirector View Post
    I'm confused though because The Double Matrix employs ultrasonics, doesn't it? Also Michael Fremer uses a US machine and he would never use nor recommend anything harmful to records for people to use.

Hey Eric,

This is a quote from Clear Audio "Clearaudio has created a new articulating washing/vacuuming system that incorporates sonic vibrations to better deep scrub the record groove. These cleaning applicators automatically adapt to different thickness records, assuring better performance and ease of use. Clearaudio’s R&D team has learned that this approach performs a more thorough job of cleaning without risking damage to the vinyl record, versus ultrasonic cleaners commonly used to clean hard materials such as jewelry and glass. The sonically articulating cleaning pads can be easily removed for washing as well as replacing the micro-felt strips."

http://www.musicalsurroundings.com/p...ssional-sonic/

David

Post Thanks / Like

David, It's about time! Glad to hear from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Golucid View Post
    Hey Eric,

This is a quote from Clear Audio "Clearaudio has created a new articulating washing/vacuuming system that incorporates sonic vibrations to better deep scrub the record groove. These cleaning applicators automatically adapt to different thickness records, assuring better performance and ease of use. Clearaudio’s R&D team has learned that this approach performs a more thorough job of cleaning without risking damage to the vinyl record, versus ultrasonic cleaners commonly used to clean hard materials such as jewelry and glass. The sonically articulating cleaning pads can be easily removed for washing as well as replacing the micro-felt strips."

http://www.musicalsurroundings.com/p...ssional-sonic/

David
    Bill

Shindo Giscours
    Shindo Western Electric 300b
    Shinoo Petite Latour (FC)
    AMG Viella V12 Etna (Erodion) and Teatro (Bob's Sky @ 1:20)
    Lumin S1

Devialet 200
    Aries
    Harbeth C7

12. Thanks Golucid thanked for this post
    Likes Golucid liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2