Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Sonus Faber EX3MA (Extrema)

LE 30th Anniversary Standmount. There is a pair at the Australian dealer currently on sale for AUD$100K.

Specifications

• Frequency response: 40 Hz – 40.000 Hz, E.M.B.A.B.R included.
    • Sensitivity: 88 db SPL (2.83V/1 m).
    • Nominal Impedence: 4 ohms
    • Suggested Amplifier Output Power: 50W – 300W, without clipping.
    • Long-term Maximum Input Voltage (IEC-268-5): 24V rms.
    • Dimensions (HxWxD): 434 x 282 x 560 mm.
    • Weight: 18,6 Kg each
    • Dedicated Stand Dimensions (HxWxD): 661 x 360 x 460 mm.
    • Dedicated Stand Weight: 22 Kg each
    • Total Dimensions (HxWxD): 1095 x 360 x 560 mm
    • Total Weight: 40,6 Kg each

Attached Images Attached Images

Speakeasy

Super Moderator

Re: Sonus Faber EX3MA (Extrema)

I'd love to hear these speakers. Thanks Steve.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I listened to the Sonus Faber Extrema today. They were powered by McIntosh MC601s. Very impressive resolution and holographic soundstage. The combination was warm and lush, dominated by that classic and pleasurable Sonus Faber midrange. Bass extension was good, quick and well focussed.

They are a confident match with the MC601s.

Stand Mounts were positioned and towed inwards, typical Sonus Faber style. Projection was wide, depth felt 3rd row stage seating.

Beautiful finish with lovely accents like brandishing in the wood veneer. Indeed they look amazing.

I could easily spend time, lots of time with this speaker but ultimately I would want more than what these are physically capable of delivering. And for AUD$100K RRP, their bass roll off falls well short of a full range loudspeaker. I would estimate that with the addition of a pair of subwoofers set at a crossover of around 50Hz the subs would fill in where the Extremas start to drop off.

Short of what they are not, they are a joy and combined with a pair of subs would be sublime in an averaged sized room. I get that they are rare Anniversary speakers packed with innovative new crossover tech pushing slick drivers. But the Extremas are priced for the collector. If they were otherwise priced, perhaps I could be convinced to consider taking them home.

Definitely worth a listen. If you can't swing a special price on these, you would probably want something else in the Sonus Faber range.

...Those Il Cremonese in walnut finish were staring me in the eye but just inboxed were yet to be setup for demo... They look nicer than Lilium also.

Speakeasy

Super Moderator

What a treat. I'd love to hear them. My SF Evos were wonderful, I really miss them. I can only imagine how sweet these sound. Price is outrageous though.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Nice speakers no doubt.

But at AUD$100k, tough sell, as there are many others in this price range that clearly outperform in both looks and musicality. Not withstanding from their own stable the IL Cremonese, Wilson Alexia, JBL 67k, to name a few.

Still, if money is never a concern and collecting is the word, why not? Its a pretty speaker I must admit.
    SME Synergy
    Thorens TD147 Jubilee (Restored) + Ortofon A-Mono
    Roon Nucleus+ 4TB + Plixir Elite LPS
    Luxman D-10x (Sep 2020)
    ModWright Oppo UDP205
    Air Tight ATC-5 Pre + ATM300R + ATH-3
    Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
    Audience AU24 SX Cables, Interconnects & aR6 OX Power Conditioner
    DS Audio Ioniser
    Audio-Philar Rack & Amp Stand

Steve.......That would be $76K US at todays exchange. No can do. Perhaps Sonus faber will introduce these in a more standard fare once the 30th anniversary hoopla is over.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

https://youtu.be/cW-dvzObjlI

System sounds great even on youtube. Hard to mess up Nat King Cole and Archie Shepp tho...

My dealer sold his pair awhile back. There was no MSRP on the units. I thought they were pretty nice speakers especially for their size.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

These were fantastic, I still have the originals.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Sonus Faber EX3MA (Extrema)