Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Hanging With Andre on Saturday

Andre Jennings and I have been talking about getting together for a year now and we finally pulled it off on Saturday, May 23, 2015, It's approximately a 3 hour drive from my house in Indiana to Andre's house outside of Cincinnati, OH. I went to bed on Friday night like it was a work night (I'm at work by 6:00 AM every day), got up at the crack of dawn and drove to Andre's house. I arrived around 8:30 AM and stayed until 4:00 PM.

When you step into Andre's listening room, there is a lot to take in and much to try and comprehend and wrap your head around. I wanted to hear Andre's baseline system vice listening to ultra-expensive gear he has in for review and that's exactly what we did. I never once itched to have Andre swap out a preamp, amp, or speakers that Andre had in for review for any component he personally owns. All of Andre's electronics have been modified by Andre. And when I say 'modify,' I don't mean 'modify' in the sense where someone goes in and replaces a couple of capacitors or resistors. Andre has a pair of the giant Rotel amplifiers (RB-1090 amps I do believe) that he has modified to be fully differential. Andre has a pair of Placette active preamplifiers that he running as dual mono preamps. Andre's phono preamps (yes, their are two of them) are Ayre units that have been heavily modified by Andre including massive outboard power supplies. Andre has two Basis turntables with identical Basis arms (Master Debut and 2800-both with vacuum hold down and power supplies modified by Andre with I believe Vector 4 arms) and the 2800 table had the Skala cartridge installed and the Debut had the Etna.

Digital was handled by a combination of a Sony ES SACD/CD player and an Ayon CD3sx (I think that is the model number, Andre can correct me if I screwed anything up here). Andre's speakers are the Vandersteen 3A Signatures with a pair of the Vandersteen 2W subwoofers. Andre also has the outboard crossovers which relieves his 3A speakers from having to produce the bottom end.

We started off the listening session with a CD that has made its rounds at shows and it basically contains snippets of a bunch of different tracks. It kind of gives you an overall flavor of what's in store. I was anxious to move onto vinyl because all PCM based digital makes me antsy sooner rather than later. As some of you know, Andre is highly skilled at setting up tables and cartridges and cartridges are a particular passion for Andre. Andre has his arms setup such that he can change the arm height in literally seconds to accommodate the thickness of each LP. And yes, Andre has a pair of calipers and measures the thickness of each LP before he drops it on the platter and he adjusts the arm accordingly. I'm not going to reveal Andre's methods for setting the arm height, but I can tell you it's super fast and exact.

So what does Andre's system sound like? Andre's system throws a huge soundstage and the speakers disappear as a source of sound. I wish my speakers disappeared to the degree that Andre's speakers do. Some people struggle with having adequate soundstage height. The worst case example is when it sounds like the singers heads are sitting on top of the amp on the floor. Andre's soundstage is large scale in all dimensions and the height is no exception. With the Vandersteen 3A speakers and the Vandersteen subs, have no doubt that this is a true full-range system that needs to make no excuses. Oh, and did i say Andre's system can play LOUD without breaking a sweat? It can, trust me. We have all heard systems that sound OK as long as you keep the volume within a certain range, but once you put the juice to it, the system just falls apart. It's really where you separate the men from the boys and the pretenders from the contenders.

Andre's system has a bottom end punch that reminds me of the sound I used to have when I was using 1/4 wavelength transmission lines subs that I designed and built. Sadly, I don't have that sound now with my Def Tech Ref subs. I think it's just a characteristic of the way the Def Tech subs were designed and I'm not sure if I left no square inch of my floor untried that I could ever get the bass quality and extension that Andre is getting in his room. The bottom line is that Andre's system is just a blast to listen to. It sounds great from top to bottom and bottom to top. The only tubes in the system were in the Ayon digital machine, but the sound of Andre's system defies simple SS vs. tube debates. The whole system just has an intrinsic rightness about it that didn't leave me wanting for anything. And that statement goes back to what I said at the beginning when I said I never wanted Andre to turn off the system and swap in other gear. Andre has a very expensive speakers in for review which I'm sure everyone will have a chance to read about when Andre is finished reviewing the speakers and his review is published. I'm not going to mention the name of the speakers or the cost. I will leave that up to Andre. The bottom line is that I was quite content to listen to the Vandersteen speaker system (meaning the 3A and subs) because it sounded so good and it was fun. I strongly feel that the Vandersteen 3A signatures represent a tremendous value and when coupled with the subs, I really think you would have to spend crazy money to beat the sound of them. I'm pretty sure you could spend crazy money and still not beat this speaker system-it's that good. And for those of you that have just bought the QRP reissue of Dean Martin that is all the rage now, can you hear Dean Martin every time he takes a breath just like he was in the room with you? I did.

Andre was a very gracious host and I appreciated the hospitality. Had I known his wife had made cinnamon rolls, I would have skipped the sausage/egg/chess biscuit from McDonalds on the way to Andre's house! The day just seemed to fly by and before I knew it, it was time to head home. Now that I'm home, I'm still trying to comprehend everything I saw and heard and it makes me ponder the direction(s) that I went.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Re: Hanging With Andre on Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Andre Jennings and I have been talking about getting together for a year now and we finally pulled it off on Saturday, May 23, 2015, It's approximately a 3 hour drive from my house in Indiana to Andre's house outside of Cincinnati, OH. I went to bed on Friday night like it was a work night (I'm at work by 6:00 AM every day), got up at the crack of dawn and drove to Andre's house. I arrived around 8:30 AM and stayed until 4:00 PM.

When you step into Andre's listening room, there is a lot to take in and much to try and comprehend and wrap your head around. I wanted to hear Andre's baseline system vice listening to ultra-expensive gear he has in for review and that's exactly what we did. I never once itched to have Andre swap out a preamp, amp, or speakers that Andre had in for review for any component he personally owns. All of Andre's electronics have been modified by Andre. And when I say 'modify,' I don't mean 'modify' in the sense where someone goes in and replaces a couple of capacitors or resistors. Andre has a pair of the giant Rotel amplifiers (RB-1090 amps I do believe) that he has modified to be fully differential. Andre has a pair of Placette active preamplifiers that he running as dual mono preamps. Andre's phono preamps (yes, their are two of them) are Ayre units that have been heavily modified by Andre including massive outboard power supplies. Andre has two Basis turntables with identical Basis arms (Master Debut and 2800-both with vacuum hold down and power supplies modified by Andre with I believe Vector 4 arms) and the 2800 table had the Skala cartridge installed and the Debut had the Etna.

Digital was handled by a combination of a Sony ES SACD/CD player and an Ayon CD3sx (I think that is the model number, Andre can correct me if I screwed anything up here). Andre's speakers are the Vandersteen 3A Signatures with a pair of the Vandersteen 2W subwoofers. Andre also has the outboard crossovers which relieves his 3A speakers from having to produce the bottom end.

We started off the listening session with a CD that has made its rounds at shows and it basically contains snippets of a bunch of different tracks. It kind of gives you an overall flavor of what's in store. I was anxious to move onto vinyl because all PCM based digital makes me antsy sooner rather than later. As some of you know, Andre is highly skilled at setting up tables and cartridges and cartridges are a particular passion for Andre. Andre has his arms setup such that he can change the arm height in literally seconds to accommodate the thickness of each LP. And yes, Andre has a pair of calipers and measures the thickness of each LP before he drops it on the platter and he adjusts the arm accordingly. I'm not going to reveal Andre's methods for setting the arm height, but I can tell you it's super fast and exact.

So what does Andre's system sound like? Andre's system throws a huge soundstage and the speakers disappear as a source of sound. I wish my speakers disappeared to the degree that Andre's speakers do. Some people struggle with having adequate soundstage height. The worst case example is when it sounds like the singers heads are sitting on top of the amp on the floor. Andre's soundstage is large scale in all dimensions and the height is no exception. With the Vandersteen 3A speakers and the Vandersteen subs, have no doubt that this is a true full-range system that needs to make no excuses. Oh, and did i say Andre's system can play LOUD without breaking a sweat? It can, trust me. We have all heard systems that sound OK as long as you keep the volume within a certain range, but once you put the juice to it, the system just falls apart. It's really where you separate the men from the boys and the pretenders from the contenders.

Andre's system has a bottom end punch that reminds me of the sound I used to have when I was using 1/4 wavelength transmission lines subs that I designed and built. Sadly, I don't have that sound now with my Def Tech Ref subs. I think it's just a characteristic of the way the Def Tech subs were designed and I'm not sure if I left no square inch of my floor untried that I could ever get the bass quality and extension that Andre is getting in his room. The bottom line is that Andre's system is just a blast to listen to. It sounds great from top to bottom and bottom to top. The only tubes in the system were in the Ayon digital machine, but the sound of Andre's system defies simple SS vs. tube debates. The whole system just has an intrinsic rightness about it that didn't leave me wanting for anything. And that statement goes back to what I said at the beginning when I said I never wanted Andre to turn off the system and swap in other gear. Andre has a very expensive speakers in for review which I'm sure everyone will have a chance to read about when Andre is finished reviewing the speakers and his review is published. I'm not going to mention the name of the speakers or the cost. I will leave that up to Andre. The bottom line is that I was quite content to listen to the Vandersteen speaker system (meaning the 3A and subs) because it sounded so good and it was fun. I strongly feel that the Vandersteen 3A signatures represent a tremendous value and when coupled with the subs, I really think you would have to spend crazy money to beat the sound of them. I'm pretty sure you could spend crazy money and still not beat this speaker system-it's that good. And for those of you that have just bought the QRP reissue of Dean Martin that is all the rage now, can you hear Dean Martin every time he takes a breath just like he was in the room with you? I did.

Andre was a very gracious host and I appreciated the hospitality. Had I known his wife had made cinnamon rolls, I would have skipped the sausage/egg/chess biscuit from McDonalds on the way to Andre's house! The day just seemed to fly by and before I knew it, it was time to head home. Now that I'm home, I'm still trying to comprehend everything I saw and heard and it makes me ponder the direction(s) that I went.
    Thanks for the report Mark and I would have expected nothing less from Andre! Sounds like you guys had a blast and told you the Dean Martin was amazing. Not to mention he has the best players backing him including Barney Kessell and Red Mitchell. That album has been seeing a bit of play time here too! Even if it makes me feel like my parents.
    Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Goldmund Telos 1000 Nextgen mono amplifiers, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi Audio EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostages, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

Audioshark

Mark,

What a great time you had! Andre is such a nice guy. Vandersteen is a great speaker that puts many more expensive speakers to shame.

Getting together with friends to listen and enjoy their systems is what makes this hobby so great.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Andre Jennings and I have been talking about getting together for a year now and we finally pulled it off on Saturday, ............

.............. Now that I'm home, I'm still trying to comprehend everything I saw and heard and it makes me ponder the direction(s) that I went.
    Mark, thanks for sharing & great road trip write-up. That last comment of yours really shouts out what this hobby of ours is to me.
    Like you I have heard some things that have come in at uber pricing only to later ponder at did I miss something. At the other end of the scale I have heard systems set up by very knowledgeable people in their own homes that have left me thinking about my own approach at times too.
    It is an enjoyable read for me to have a glimpse into the private world of 2 such people as you & André of the industry.

Nice writeup, Mark. I agree that spending time with other 'philes we meet most of the time ends up improving our own systems in the end.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Mark,
    I'm glad you and Andre had a great time. These type of get togethers are very insightful for everyone involved, And I wish more of our members would take the time and effort to share their love of our hobby with each other. It's amazing what we can learn from each other, and most of all, it's REALLY fun !!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Mark,
    These type of get togethers are very insightful for everyone involved, And I wish more of our members would take the time and effort to share their love of our hobby with each other. It's amazing what we can learn from each other, and most of all, it's REALLY fun !!
    I wish I could sometimes. In fact, I've dreamt of full participation music listening get togethers, but unfortunately all cards are absolutely stacked against it.

Sounds like a great time! Very cool!

Allen

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Quote Originally Posted by MusicDirector View Post
    I wish I could sometimes. In fact, I've dreamt of full participation music listening get togethers, but unfortunately all cards are absolutely stacked against it.
    Eric, If there are any of our members in your area, just send them a PM and see what happens.

I've met a lot of people from AS by just reaching out to them. And I'm always amazed by how nice they are!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Joe and I get together on a regular basis. It's great fun and I think we learn a lot when we listen together. I always give him the sweet spot at my house. I know he is enjoying my system when he falls asleep.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BruceLet View Post
    Joe and I get together on a regular basis. It's great fun and I think we learn a lot when we listen together. I always give him the sweet spot at my house. I know he is enjoying my system when he falls asleep.
    Hey, you said you wouldn't tell. If a system is good enough to put me to sleep, it's a keeper. Bruce has assembled and blown up many great systems that I can't keep up with him. Overall, I love his taste in gear.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Eric, If there are any of our members in your area, just send them a PM and see what happens.

I've met a lot of people from AS by just reaching out to them. And I'm always amazed by how nice they are!
    Well thanks Mark, I don't think there are, but that is not verified. However, it's moot because I can't return in like as host or anything and in my book that is not fair. So I resolve to "it just is what it is".

Mark,

Thanks for making the trip to visit. I would normally say I hope you enjoyed the trip but I think your post shows how you felt about the visit. I enjoyed the day we spent listening along with our many discussions between tracks of music and over lunch. Thanks to your LP travel bag, my next purchase list has grown.

Regarding the baseline stereo system:
    Although this is put together for my listening enjoyment, I'm very pleased you enjoyed it. Since this specific setup configuration (of many available) serves to keep everything grounded as the baseline from which to begin evaluation and reconfigure as needed, I’m delighted you found so much joy and satisfaction where there was no desire to change anything.

Thanks for the very kind words Mark.

Dre

Hi Dre,

It sounds like you had a wonderful visit. I have been using an Ayre P5xe for years. Could you discuss your mods a little? I wonder if I could get a little more out of my phono.

Cheers!
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dre_J View Post
    Mark,

Thanks for making the trip to visit. I would normally say I hope you enjoyed the trip but I think your post shows how you felt about the visit. I enjoyed the day we spent listening along with our many discussions between tracks of music and over lunch. Thanks to your LP travel bag, my next purchase list has grown.

Regarding the baseline stereo system:
    Although this is put together for my listening enjoyment, I'm very pleased you enjoyed it. Since this specific setup configuration (of many available) serves to keep everything grounded as the baseline from which to begin evaluation and reconfigure as needed, I’m delighted you found so much joy and satisfaction where there was no desire to change anything.

Thanks for the very kind words Mark.

Dre
    Dre-It was a pleasure to finally make it to your house and spend the day together. I had a blast and the time flew by. I too have some 'new' LPs to hunt down after our visit. I look forward to getting together again. I learned a lot and I know I haven't quite scratched the surface yet.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Hanging With Andre on Saturday