Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

How thrifty is thrifty?

When you guys say "audio on a budget" or "on a low budget" what exactly are you talking about? Because of my job, my priorities are a little warped.

Looking forward to the replies....
    Publisher, TONEAudio Magazine
    www.tonepublications.com

Founder, My Stereo Habit-ASIA (Coming soon!)

Audioshark

How thrifty is thrifty?

Not sure it can be quantified since it will vary from person to person. But if I was to take a stab at it, I would say a total system, $5000 or less. Maggie MMG's, Cambridge Integrated, Schiit DAC, Blue Jean or Straight Wire cables....or something to that affect.

But one persons $5000 is another persons $10,000 or $20,000.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: How thrifty is thrifty?

Got to agree with Mike. Since I retired my budget for anything audio goes to the back burner and other activities like fishing, golf, photography, kayaking, travel and health move to the front. ( all are outdoors) . My audio budget is based on the item itself and the benefit I think I should get from that investment. Right now I'm looking for bookshelf's under the $2500 range for my small office Vapor, Fritz, Ryan, Nola Boxer and LSA1's as an example. Acoustic panels if they ever get here under $1000

The old saying thrifty is as thrifty does applies. You have to stay within your personal budget.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

I agree that a budget system should be a max of $5,000.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by TONEGUY View Post
    When you guys say "audio on a budget" or "on a low budget" what exactly are you talking about?
    College student <$100 "low budget/thrifty", Dayton B652-Air and DTA-1.

Because of my job, my priorities are a little warped.
    Well, perhaps mine are too, but I figure if you want to appeal to said future audiophiles, gotta start low. Otherwise audio shows with $20k cable lifters in every room, will continue to look like trips to Century Village.

cheers,

AJ

Banned

I also agree with Mike's view. I would go for something like a 2nd hand Classe Ca-2200, refurbed Audio Research SP-11Mk2, Sony SCD-1 & well cared for pair of 2nd hand Infinity RS-2B's. Throw in some Kimber 12tc & you've got yourself a great bang for the buck system on a 'relative' budget of about $10k. I tried!!

Yes, Mike puts it well. "Thrifty", "affordable", "reasonable", "inexpensive",call it what you like, just don't call it cheap. Affordable means something different to each person. The most important thing is for each individual to stay within their budget and do the best they can.
    One can allot a budget to an entire system or as Chris stated, to individual pieces.
    Chris, I like your thinking as well because it takes into account diminishing returns which have a huge effect. I personally believe that both budget and diminishing returns should be taken into account as priority. Like I said, the whole idea is to do the best one can within one's means.

Talking what is considered high end or fine audio is almost uncharted waters for most folks and that definitely includes me. Up until a couple of months ago, I was of the belief that there was precious little out there in I guess what could be called affordable high end (also forgetting that I have a couple of pieces myself). It wasn't easy for me getting them, but I did it.
    I now believe that one can obtain fine audio gear without sacrificing a mortgage, hawking everything one owns, going into BK and all the financial and life tragedies visited upon a fool and their money. I feel that the fine audio makers should offer at least just one item considered reasonable and affordable as it would do nothing but good. One doesn't have to be an economist to see the good in that for all involved.
    Well, I only very recently found that a number of them are doing just that, all ready do that and it looks like more are coming, even if it's a trickle rate out of the faucet, it's a very good thing!
    If one looks one will find that there is a lot more fine audio gear out there than immediately meets the eye. One has to look for it, but it's there and it only takes a look. I'm talking about big touted brands like (and these were surprises to me), Vienna Acoustics, Sonus Faber, Focal, Pathos, Peachtree, just to name a few.
    Also good dealers like Mike will know what is what as well.

A bit early for this, but I have a wish, a dream, a hope, whatever you call it, it's not only about myself. I want to introduce good sound quality to folks who don’t know they can have it, folks who think they can’t have it and/or think that possible affordable “high-end” gear doesn't even exist, like I thought. I want to show that high end pieces don't have to cost $9k, $10k, $20k or $30k etc. each or something. I want to show them that they don't have to live with cheap Chinese produced gear off the Walmart and Best Buy shelves or what have you that may not last the trip home and definitely won't have the staying power or deliver better SQ. I want to show non-audiophile folks like myself that there is more affordable high end gear out there than meets the eye with realistic numbers that can be had in relatively short order or of realistic goal to save up for, even if it takes a year or two or what have you depending on ones means.

Ok, I have a fear of heights and close places so I'm jumping off this soapbox now. I tend to get a bit passionate about certain things.
    Anyway, just my opinion, that's all.

~Eric

Jeff.......Something else to consider that always helps keep the cost under control is shopping pre-owned gear. Generally speaking a person can assemble a $10K system for nearly half that price with diligent shopping for clean pre-owned equipment. There are many folks wanting to move up the audiophile chain and will liquidate existing gear at reasonable prices to help finance their move. At 50% to 60% of original prices, buying pre-owned gear can deliver a sound system that exceeds the original goal without having to stretch the budget. Another thing to consider is flexibility in your budget. Speaking from personal experience I have rarely ever held tightly to my original spending limit. Set a target budget and also a number that you will absolutely not exceed. Make every effort to stay within the target budget but put the brakes on quick when you find audio lust pushing you well past your maximum spending limit. It is so easy to get carried away once you begin letting the cash flow. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. I get carried away quick.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Yes, used is also a good option especially if we are talking about quality gear. The builds of such gear tend to be extremely good. Granted some used gear can be unaffordable as well depending on what it is. I mean, I would not expect a used D' Agostino piece go for even $5k. However, there is alot of great pieces out there, one almost can't go wrong.
    Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicDirector View Post
    Yes, used is also a good option especially if we are talking about quality gear. The builds of such gear tend to be extremely good. Granted some used gear can be unaffordable as well depending on what it is. I mean, I would not expect a used D' Agostino piece go for even $5k. However, there is alot of great pieces out there, one almost can't go wrong.
    Just my opinion.
    Eric.......Using Mike's original scenario of $5K as a general starting point for an entry level high-end system was the catalyst for my idea of gaining more system without stretching a modest budget by going with pre-owned gear.

I doubt you will ever see a D'Agostino component for $5K unless it was in a box in pieces after falling from the back of a FedEx truck on the highway.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Not sure it can be quantified since it will vary from person to person. But if I was to take a stab at it, I would say a total system, $5000 or less. Maggie MMG's, Cambridge Integrated, Schiit DAC, Blue Jean or Straight Wire cables....or something to that affect.

But one persons $5000 is another persons $10,000 or $20,000.
    This!

Allen

I agree with you guys and honestly, $5k was the number in my head. But I have a few systems I've put together with great used and new pieces and have even gone below that number with excellent result...
    www.tonepublications.com

Quote Originally Posted by Double-D View Post
    Eric.......Using Mike's original scenario of $5K as a general starting point for an entry level high-end system was the catalyst for my idea of gaining more system without stretching a modest budget by going with pre-owned gear.

I doubt you will ever see a D'Agostino component for $5K unless it was in a box in pieces after falling from the back of a FedEx truck on the highway.

Yes, exactly what I am saying.
    I'm not quite sure myself about "entry-level high end" I'm beginning to think more along the lines of high-end is high-end, mid-fi is mid-fi, etc. without all the sub-titles. I mean, especially these days when I'm beginning to see stuff taking the same build as higher stuff as far as components and layout goes with the only difference being perhaps a feature or two or some extra bling.
    I'm also keeping in mind that even a least priced unit from a high-end maker is at least 5 to 10 times better than any mid-fi item in build quality at least. Of course, the better the build, the better the performance and staying power.

Just thinking out loud.

I agree with you guys and honestly, $5k was the number in my head. But I have a few systems I've put together with great used and new pieces and have even gone below that number with excellent result...
    Jeff, will you be posting them. Might be fun to get ideas for a 2nd or third system for some.

Allen

Yes, that can certainly be done!
    The other factor often not mentioned or forgotten is the subjectivity of our ears as individuals. A system that sounds good to one person, may not be quite to the taste of another and visa versa. I've always believed that while sometimes it might, price does not "always" equal sound quality or dramatic change in it.

Just my opinion.

My experience when dealing with the majors has always been that their better gear usually reveals more music than their lesser stuff. But that being said, it's like buying a used high end car. That 10 year old Porsche may not have the same level of ultimate performance as a brand new one, but it was still built to a very high standard and if well taken care of is still very pleasurable to own and drive.

For me where price hasn't equalled a major jump in quality has been with the more boutique manufacturers, that buy parts in such small quantities, they are paying WAY more for the same caps that ARC does, because they buy 20 at a time instead of 5000. Often times with these manufacturers (though they do build excellent products) you are held ransom for their inability to run a business of scale and it's up to you whether you want a piece of art or a piece of gear. Either approach is valid, but one will cost you more for the same performance.

I feel like a lot of great hifi gear is the same way. A 10 or 20 year old ARC, CJ, or McIntosh (just to name a few) component was still built to a very high standard, and with great care. If I only had a few thousand bucks to spend on a system, I'd definitely buy used.

As far as the comment on finding D'agostino in the used bin cheap, think first generation Krell. The KSA-50 and KSA-100 were great amps in the day and when we sampled a KSA-50 for our Old School column, were all amazed at how good this piece still sounds.

I have a 2002 Boxster that I picked up for $9000, because that's all the dealer would give the guy for a trade in. A few thousand bucks worth of brakes, shocks, tires and battery and I've got a pretty nice car that is still fun to drive.
    www.tonepublications.com

When I threw my $.02 above, I was thinking new retail prices at my $5,000 budget system maximum price. That's a lot of money for most people to spend on a stereo. I just can't think of the word "budget" if you are spending more than that.

I didn't think of it as - "Whats the least you can spend to get a hi-end sounding system including used equipment"
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

My experience when dealing with the majors has always been that their better gear usually reveals more music than their lesser stuff. But that being said, it's like buying a used high end car. That 10 year old Porsche may not have the same level of ultimate performance as a brand new one, but it was still built to a very high standard and if well taken care of is still very pleasurable to own and drive.

For me where price hasn't equalled a major jump in quality has been with the more boutique manufacturers, that buy parts in such small quantities, they are paying WAY more for the same caps that ARC does, because they buy 20 at a time instead of 5000. Often times with these manufacturers (though they do build excellent products) you are held ransom for their inability to run a business of scale and it's up to you whether you want a piece of art or a piece of gear. Either approach is valid, but one will cost you more for the same performance.

I feel like a lot of great hifi gear is the same way. A 10 or 20 year old ARC, CJ, or McIntosh (just to name a few) component was still built to a very high standard, and with great care. If I only had a few thousand bucks to spend on a system, I'd definitely buy used.

As far as the comment on finding D'agostino in the used bin cheap, think first generation Krell. The KSA-50 and KSA-100 were great amps in the day and when we sampled a KSA-50 for our Old School column, were all amazed at how good this piece still sounds.

I have a 2002 Boxster that I picked up for $9000, because that's all the dealer would give the guy for a trade in. A few thousand bucks worth of brakes, shocks, tires and battery and I've got a pretty nice car that is still fun to drive.
    My D' Agostino example was merely pointing out expectations. In other words, don't expect to get a Ferrari at a Toyota price used or new. In other words don't bother looking for a $15k used piece expecting to find it for $5k or less or something, not gonna happen.

Your so right, older pieces and yes, I believe even the lesser pieces of the same make are all built to the same standards as their highest piece. They would be shooting themselves in the foot otherwise I would think. In the same line of what you are saying, The lesser piece may not have all the bells and whistles, but does the same good job, has the same staying power, etc. depending on what the individual's needs are.

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    When I threw my $.02 above, I was thinking new retail prices at my $5,000 budget system maximum price. That's a lot of money for most people to spend on a stereo. I just can't think of the word "budget" if you are spending more than that.

I didn't think of it as - "Whats the least you can spend to get a hi-end sounding system including used equipment"
    Yes, it's not about spending the least or anything like that in either direction. It's about spending what one can afford and still be able to get into a piece or pieces that are considered high-end. Of course, I've seen folks have differences in definitions of what is high-end. I like to try to keep it simple and just pretty much say any piece from a known high end make is high-end, done. That is unless advertised differently by said make.
    Just my take on it.

If I had $5k to spend on a system, I'd buy a new pair of Vandersteen 1Cis, $1200. Used CJ or ARC preamp with phono, $1000. Pass Aleph 5 power amp, used, $1000, Rega DAC new - $900, Rega RP3 and cart new $1200. Maybe a couple hundred bucks on wire. Could live with that pretty easily.
    www.tonepublications.com

I'd say under $3k. That's about what a true audiophile noob is probably prepared to spend. My first system when I got back into this about 10 years ago was:

B&W speakers $1600
    NAD Integrated $800
    NAD CDP $400
    Cables $200.
    System 1: Matrix Element M -> Sugden A21se -> Klipsch Cornwall 3.

System 2: Matrix Element X -> Exposure 3510 -> Heco Direkt.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jaxwired View Post
    I'd say under $3k. That's about what a true audiophile noob is probably prepared to spend. My first system when I got back into this about 10 years ago was:

B&W speakers $1600
    NAD Integrated $800
    NAD CDP $400
    Cables $200.
    Yeah NAD had always offered good bang for the buck. My fist decent system back in 1986 when I was a student included a compact NAD lifestyle system with separate components & pair of Infinity Reference 3's. The Ref 3's were large 3-way bookshelfs which I recall bent the shelf they were sitting on! I loved that system, and later moved up the Infinity line to Reference 60's and Ren 90's.

New: Maggie 1.7 ,Cambridge Azur 851A integrated amplifier, rega rp1/ MC cartridge ,Cambridge Audio Azur 851D D/A processor, wire and cabling sorted about 5500.00 total system

If I had $5k to spend on a system, I'd buy a new pair of Vandersteen 1Cis, $1200. Used CJ or ARC preamp with phono, $1000. Pass Aleph 5 power amp, used, $1000, Rega DAC new - $900, Rega RP3 and cart new $1200. Maybe a couple hundred bucks on wire. Could live with that pretty easily.
    What about records? I'm in the Fremer camp, "make sure you have enough left for records".

I guess I would think you already had some records. Honestly if I were starting over, I'd really just get a good DAC and call it a day. I love vinyl, but if I had to do the inexpensive turntable thing and try to bargain shop records, I wouldn't bother. The used market has really become a jungle, even crappy copies of vintage records (i.e. classic rock from the 60s - 80s) is way too expensive. I'd just get a Tidal subscription and go bargain shopping for CD's now that they are really cheap.
    www.tonepublications.com

I think any budget is based on the individual while $3,000 is good for one person, $5,000 or even higher might be appropriate for another. In the scheme of things when you look at the overall majority of equipment discussed on this site, heck some speakers cost more than some peoples transportation or DACS costing $10k plus, $5,000 seems like a good target number for thrifty. . After a choice of : speakers, amps, pre-amps dacs, dac/pre combo, cables, power stuff, acoustic treatments, rack, monitor stands if a monitor is used, possible turntable, phono stage, stylus (they don't last forever) even a CD player and the cost of the music, download cost, LP purchases, NAS, Media player cost (JRiver, Roon etc.. . I tell ya folks this stuff adds up.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Yes, $5000. A bit of a stretch for the household with average annual income. But not unattainable (the kids can still buy new clothes for school in September).
    Magico M2
    AMG V12 (Teatro cart)
    Lampizator Atlantic Plus DSD512
    Aesthetix Calypso Signature Preamp
    Luxman C-900u Preamp
    Auorasound VIDA (phono-stage)
    Parasound JC 1+ monos
    Aurender N100h
    Nordost Frey 2
    HRS, Rix Rax

Quote Originally Posted by BayStBroker View Post
    Yes, $5000. A bit of a stretch for the household with average annual income. But not unattainable (the kids can still buy new clothes for school in September).
    Kids, the BIG ticket item. I'm just glad my 2 daughters are out of college and on their own. A little off topic here but I read, that for a normal middle income family it cost close to $300,000 to raise a child to age 18 NOT counting college.

It all boils down to a mixture of personal economy and priority.

The cool thing is that I've had the opportunity to work alongside a wide group of people. Thus, I've been able to observe what real-world folks consider affordable - at least when it comes to Hi-Fi stuffs.

To begin, I'd like to focus on a group of people that I like to call real-world shoppers. These people usually work middle-income jobs, and while they have enough money to enjoy some of the finer things in life, a good bulk of their cash goes towards things like bills, college funds, retirement plans, and all of that other boring yet necessary stuff. While many of these people would love nothing more than to bring home a cost-no-object system, their lifestyle prevents them from taking those kinda thoughts too seriously. When the real-world shopper decides to buy a stereo rig, usually they are looking to spend around $500 for the whole sha-bang. That figure can easily double to the $1000 marker *if* they are given a jaw-dropping demo, but $1000 is usually as far as it goes.

Next we have a group of real-world shoppers who occupy the next income tier. By and large, these people are less burdened by day-to-day life expenses and have a little more cash to spend on cool toys. From what I've seen, this crowd is where the average audiophile resides. Most of the people at this level are willing to spend $1500 to $5000 on a good stereo system. For these people, the definition of thrifty is simply resisting the urge to accrue debt by bringing home the kinda drool-worthy toys that occupy the next price bracket.

This brings me to the last tier, one that I will lovingly refer to as the Audio Shark playground. The folks that swim in these waters tend to be financially well off - to the point to where $5,000 may not even be enough to cover the costs of just ONE of the exotic power cords found throughout their sports-car priced stereo system. Being thrifty? What's that? Is that when people buy Polk Audio?

Seriously though, at the end of the day, it's all relative. To me, it all boils down to this simple question: "Could a high-school kid afford to buy this system?". If I had to put a monetary value on what 'thrifty' means to me, I'd say the rig should cost around $400 and absolutely no more than $500. That's my take on the subject.

I guess I would think you already had some records. Honestly if I were starting over, I'd really just get a good DAC and call it a day. I love vinyl, but if I had to do the inexpensive turntable thing and try to bargain shop records, I wouldn't bother. The used market has really become a jungle, even crappy copies of vintage records (i.e. classic rock from the 60s - 80s) is way too expensive. I'd just get a Tidal subscription and go bargain shopping for CD's now that they are really cheap.
    Granted, the used record market can be a jungle depending. Perhaps you may be looking in the wrong places? Do you at least have a record fair or swapmeet or what have you that comes around once a year or more? If so, I recommend looking there. If your a risk taker you could also try Amazon, I've seen reasonable used prices there (the only unknown is condition, you have to trust what you read).

I know in my area I have my fair share of those who think they are sitting on hundreds of troy ounces of gold when the reality is opposite. I know the type, they want $10 to $15 for a record that is warped, cracked and scratched beyond recognition and forget it for anything in fair condition. I don't give those guys the time of day. Also, the yard sales and garage sales all over my local are dried up completely. I am fortunate enough to have a record swapmeet that comes around once a month. Plenty of gougers there, but also reasonable dealers who also have bargain boxes ($1, $2, $3) to look through. I've pulled some little gems out of there several times. I've also gotten to know a few of the good guy dealers.

My vintage system was assembled for less than $3500.00. I purchased the Denon DVD-2800, JBL 4312A's, Maple rack, Wireworld cables and the Godar antenna new. Had those items been purchased pre-owned this system would have been even less expensive. This modest system sounds very good.

McIntosh MA230 (solid state pre/tube power amp) - $1000.00
    McIntosh MR74 AM/FM tuner - $600.00
    Denon DVD-2800 (CD + HDCD) - $650.00
    JBL 4312A speakers - $800.00
    Maple rack (Microwave cart from Amazon) $65.00
    Wireworld Solstice speaker cables and interconnects - 300.00
    Godar FM antenna - $50.00

Dan

Nice Dan!

Vintage systems can be very nice as well in my opinion. I think I’m a bit biased though as well due to sentimental reasons, but I don’t know that is a factor.
    My second system is all vintage, except the rack.
    Pioneer PL-510 TT = $25 (pure luck on this grab)
    Yamaha CR-2020 = $180
    Nakamichi RX-202 = $80
    DCM TF-600 speakers = $150
    VTI rack = $300
    TOTAL = $710
    In my opinion however, I would not recommend going the vintage route for someone seeking a more thrifty audio system these days (unless they are very handy in electronic repair and restoration or already have a crackerjack tech). Or at least, not as vintage as my stuff is. (I'm lucky enough to have a very good tech at present...which reminds me I need to get that Sansui in for a shot at 20 more years of service or more).
    Of course these days, at least in my part of the state, the vintage stuff is very hard to find now and if you do find some it comes at a premium and that’s for stuff that needs work. (I acquired mine about 4 or 5 years ago just before the market dried up…I got lucky in my opinion). It would actually be the same or less expensive to club together a system from more realistic/reasonably priced items from the high-end makes. Plus one would not have to worry about restoration, things going wrong and all that and in most cases it would sound better.

Eric.......I hear you when it comes to vintage gear and the possibility of needed repairs. I received my McIntosh MA230 from member GaryProtein. He was generous enough to give me the integrated amp that had been his fathers. Gary had it stored in his basement for over 30 years. The $1000.00 price reflects my cost for new McIntosh shipping boxes, shipping costs to get the boxes to Gary, shipping costs to get the amp to Florida, shipping costs to get the amp to Terry DeWick in Tennessee for restoration, return shipping, walnut cabinet, and new tubes. Had the amplifier not needed restoring I could have saved about half of that. Terry breathed new life into this wonderful MA230 integrated amplifier. I had one back in the mid 1970's that I loved but foolishly let go. I am so pleased Gary heard that I missed my original MA230 and offered me his father's amp. I know his dad would be pleased to hear it still singing. I will be keeping this one.
    Dan

Oh, very nice! You still did well considering what a new McIntosh with the same or similar specs goes for these days.

I got lucky in that the only thing that needed work was the Yamaha and that was just service bulletin stuff, cost me all of $46. My tech, being the wiz that he is, decided to boost it's already 100wpc to 120 during the job without compromising anything resulting in a bomb-proof power board as well. Now I don't dare turn the volume knob past 25%, no need to.
    I'm taking my Sansui in for overhaul and internal restore even though everything works fine except for one light out,but he is also doing the work for a very nice price, so why not buy 20 more potentially problem-free years or more, I figure. Stuff back then was built like a brick chicken house. Weighs about as much too.

~Eric

Good think ya don't have to...

I recently acquired a system for my exercise / junk room. Tekton mini lore speakers + micro mega Myamp (dac and integrated amp) + Apple TV. Total cost less than $1500.

I think it looks like prices for systems (not just good earbuds for your smart phone) may be on the order of the prices of cars in the US. You can get a very good used car for around $5000 (used Camry or Honda), while $15-20K gets you a very decent new car. Prices go up from there.

The only thing seems to be that the range of prices is broader for hifi than cars. There are no new cars below about $15K, while there are plenty of very nice hifi systems well below that. And on the upper end - lots of hifi equipment priced in the six figures, and well into the mid six figures for a complete system - while there are only a handful of cars in the $200K and above price range. Speaker cable and interconnects seem to be craziest. My Tesla costs the same as a one or two pairs of the highest priced interconnects.

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

How thrifty is thrifty?