Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Axpona Chicago 2015 - Analog and Digital related posts and photos online

AXPONA Chicago 2015: Digital and Analog Sources

If exhibitors were missed, the report either ran out of space, the room was missed, the product wasn't a new introduction, information came late, or information requests never came at all, etc.

Dre

Re: Axpona Chicago 2015 - Analog and Digital related posts and photos online

Thanks Andre for your concise, information packed capsules.

Some may not appreciate the immense task before Andre at Axpona. As some may be aware, SP and TAS generally send and assign writers to cover specific areas of the audio show eg. speakers, electronics, etc. because with the increasing sizes of shows, it's getting harder and harder for one person to cover everything. Well Andre drew the short straw and was assigned coverage of analog and digital front-ends eg. every room! Well done Andre!
    Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

CD's still taste better than vinyl .............

Quote Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
    Thanks Andre for your concise, information packed capsules.

Some may not appreciate the immense task before Andre at Axpona. As some may be aware, SP and TAS generally send and assign writers to cover specific areas of the audio show eg. speakers, electronics, etc. because with the increasing sizes of shows, it's getting harder and harder for one person to cover everything. Well Andre drew the short straw and was assigned coverage of analog and digital front-ends eg. every room! Well done Andre!
    Thanks Myles!

Thanks for the link Dre, interesting one of your picks had the magnapan 3.7 , yet Paul struggled with the 20.7 in the PS Audio room .

I posted my favorite on Mikes's pix thread the day of the show (below). We agree on the Audionet, Kronos, YG room. It was wonderful.

- Favorite System
    IMO a better question might be second place. First goes to SF/ARC. Second goes to Kronos, Audionet and the little YG's.

Dre, I also really liked the optical cartridge. Do you think your findings regarding the upper mids having less energy in the Sonus Faber room have anything to do with the Nightrider? Do you have any thoughts more specifically regarding this cart from either the Sonus Faber or Magico rooms (i.e., did you compare to the Goldfinger in Magico M room)?

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Thanks for the link Dre, interesting one of your picks had the magnapan 3.7 , yet Paul struggled with the 20.7 in the PS Audio room .
    I believe you are referring to a different show (AXPONA vs. Munich), room, equipment, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post
    Dre, I also really liked the optical cartridge. Do you think your findings regarding the upper mids having less energy in the Sonus Faber room have anything to do with the Nightrider? Do you have any thoughts more specifically regarding this cart from either the Sonus Faber or Magico rooms (i.e., did you compare to the Goldfinger in Magico M room)?
    Yes, The analog front-end contributed to the overall sound.

Regarding the complete Magico and Sonus Faber system configurations mentioned in my show report, the brief comments fit with anything more I could add.

The Nightrider and Goldfinger have many more characteristic differences than things in common. In the M-Project room, which wasn't mentioned in my show report, neither cartridge seemed to be fully optimized.

Dre

Hardly a ringing endorsement of MQA; fine for streaming, sure.
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

Quote Originally Posted by Dre_J View Post
    I believe you are referring to a different show (AXPONA vs. Munich), room, equipment, etc.
    Yep, you are correct , mixing shows .. By the way , whats the cost on the exaSound e12 DAC. you reported on ..?

Yes, The analog front-end contributed to the overall sound.

Regarding the complete Magico and Sonus Faber system configurations mentioned in my show report, the brief comments fit with anything more I could add.

The Nightrider and Goldfinger have many more characteristic differences than things in common. In the M-Project room, which wasn't mentioned in my show report, neither cartridge seemed to be fully optimized.

Dre
    Alas, the curse of being one of the planets best TT set-up guys. To your ears, I would guess few (besides your own) ever are fully optimized!

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Yep, you are correct , mixing shows .. By the way , whats the cost on the exaSound e12 DAC. you reported on ..?
    I'm pretty sure I listed the price in the report along with some other possibly useful information. If you can't find it let me know.

Alas, the curse of being one of the planets best TT set-up guys. To your ears, I would guess few (besides your own) ever are fully optimized!
    Actually, I'm quite the opposite. I'm only critical of my own work (much more so than you would think). I make a point to never knowingly comment negatively on someone else's setup in that way. Chips are for woodpiles or meat smokers, not on my shoulders...

In the case of the Hanson Audio Video room with the M-Projects:
    I only mentioned this because the setup person admits he changed the Goldfinger alignment and I also observed someone from Musical Surroundings making additional adjustments to the Nightrider.

Dre

Actually, I'm quite the opposite. I'm only critical of my own work (much more so than you would think). I make a point to never knowingly comment negatively on someone else's setup in that way. Chips are for woodpiles or meat smokers, not on my shoulders...

In the case of the Hanson Audio Video room with the M-Projects:
    I only mentioned this because the setup person admits he changed the Goldfinger alignment and I also observed someone from Musical Surroundings making additional adjustments to the Nightrider.

Dre
    Yes Dre, I meant my comment as ones of respect and admiration. Still it must be tough to walk into others rooms with your ears and knowledge and remain silent. Back to my question about the optical cart; can I take from your comments that it had little in common with the Goldfinger that you were not impressed?

Yes Dre, I meant my comment as ones of respect and admiration. Still it must be tough to walk into others rooms with your ears and knowledge and remain silent. Back to my question about the optical cart; can I take from your comments that it had little in common with the Goldfinger that you were not impressed?
    Not necessarily. The Nightrider is just different. I gave it the Most Technically Innovative Product award for my TAS RMAF 2014 show report. If you are asking because it is of interest to you, my suggestion is to give it (or any cartridge) a long listen to see if it will work in your setup if possible.

BTW: I'm not completely sure but I think the Nightrider cartridge/equalizer review may be in the next July/August edition of TAS #254.

Dre

Not necessarily. The Nightrider is just different. I gave it the Most Technically Innovative Product award for my TAS RMAF 2014 show report. If you are asking because it is of interest to you, my suggestion is to give it (or any cartridge) a long listen to see if it will work in your setup if possible.

BTW: I'm not completely sure but I think the Nightrider cartridge/equalizer review may be in the next July/August edition of TAS #254.

Dre

Thank you. I look forward to the review. The science is pretty compelling imo and it sounded pretty good to me. All of the inherent benefits of low mechanical loading on the stylus like a straingage but no RIAA problems.

Thank you. I look forward to the review. The science is pretty compelling imo and it sounded pretty good to me. All of the inherent benefits of low mechanical loading on the stylus like a straingage but no RIAA problems.
    Paul,

If you haven't check, The "Nightrider" is included in the analog equipment report of the July/August edition of TAS #254.

Dre

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Dre, I just read your coverage of Axpona. Great job!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Paul,

If you haven't check, The "Nightrider" is included in the analog equipment report of the July/August edition of TAS #254.

Dre

Thanks Dre, just got my copy. I need to give it a good read.

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Dre, I just read your coverage of Axpona. Great job!
    Thanks Mark.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team