Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Taking a break

Re: Vinyl Cleaning - The Dirty Truth Letter from Mat Weisfeld, VPI Industries

Quote Originally Posted by MusicDirector View Post
    Wow, bummer...total derailment here.

I believe we are still on point. The issue is finding that vinyl listening nirvana. Cleaning: is it the machine, the vinyl, both? There is no is "I have the answer - nobody does" but rather, seeking to understand...everyone has something to contribute that may be a great idea in nailing down what works most for the ultimate vinyl experience - cleaning methods.

+10

I bought my first VPI cleaning machine back in the mid '80's (about 30 years ago). IIRC it was a VPI 16 when the suction tube was mounted diagonally on the top. I cleaned all 15,000 of my records with various VPI models, and cleaned almost all of them again (including the many used records I bought from London in the past 18 years) when I switched to Disc Doctor liquids and brushed, still using a VPI to do the suction for the cleaning solution and then the distilled water rinse. When I started my ripping project 5 years ago, I was just ripping records that I had cleaned with the VPI/DD method. At about 2000 records into the ripping, I discovered the Audio Deske System Ultrasonic cleaner and recleaned the last 7500 records (which had all beeen previously cleaned by VPI/DD).

Except for a handfull of records that have only been cleaned by the Audio Deske that I have acquired in the past 3 years - almost all new pressings, all my records have been cleaned at least two, some three time (VPI, VPIDD and ADS). There are are still about 5000 records that have only been cleaned by VPI, VPIDD or just VPIDD, which I do not plan on ripping.

So my experience with record cleaners has been long and very positive, but with almost all records have been cleaned at least twice with two different systems, I don't have good comparisons with the effects of different methods. I haven't tried this but it may be like cleaning the carpet with two different vacuum cleaners. The second one will always pick up something that the first one leaves behind, no matter which one you start with.

BTW, the vast majority of my 15,000 LP's have been purchased used (that however means I still have a few thousand I have purchased new.)

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

Quote Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
    I think moderation should be left to the moderators.
    Myles, I wasn't trying to take that roll by any means. Please don't read things into my post, alright? I was only mentioning it because I was really interested in the original subject and all of the sudden it was cost of records and it threw me.

Quote Originally Posted by astrotoy View Post
    I bought my first VPI cleaning machine back in the mid '80's (about 30 years ago). IIRC it was a VPI 16 when the suction tube was mounted diagonally on the top. I cleaned all 15,000 of my records with various VPI models, and cleaned almost all of them again (including the many used records I bought from London in the past 18 years) when I switched to Disc Doctor liquids and brushed, still using a VPI to do the suction for the cleaning solution and then the distilled water rinse. When I started my ripping project 5 years ago, I was just ripping records that I had cleaned with the VPI/DD method. At about 2000 records into the ripping, I discovered the Audio Deske System Ultrasonic cleaner and recleaned the last 7500 records (which had all beeen previously cleaned by VPI/DD).

Except for a handfull of records that have only been cleaned by the Audio Deske that I have acquired in the past 3 years - almost all new pressings, all my records have been cleaned at least two, some three time (VPI, VPIDD and ADS). There are are still about 5000 records that have only been cleaned by VPI, VPIDD or just VPIDD, which I do not plan on ripping.

So my experience with record cleaners has been long and very positive, but with almost all records have been cleaned at least twice with two different systems, I don't have good comparisons with the effects of different methods. I haven't tried this but it may be like cleaning the carpet with two different vacuum cleaners. The second one will always pick up something that the first one leaves behind, no matter which one you start with.

BTW, the vast majority of my 15,000 LP's have been purchased used (that however means I still have a few thousand I have purchased new.)

Larry
    15000 LPs cleaned, must be some kind of a "record" ......

Larry...After cleaning some 7500+ records with the Audio Desk, how is the machine holding up?

Speakeasy

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Larry...After cleaning some 7500+ records with the Audio Desk, how is the machine holding up?
    Good question. If it's holding up well after all that assault, it's safe to say that it is a very well built machine, (little doubt it isn't). With that amount of records there is no doubt about the need for it. It scares me to think about doing that many on my VPI, not that it may not hold up, but I wouldn't and I don't mind taking time to clean records at all. Makes me thankful that I only have a handful of records compared to almost everyone here.

15000 is past a collection , its a library ....

wow ..!!!!

Taking a break

I relocated into the office closet all three vinyl cleaning machines. Next week, I have an electrician coming in to install two electrical outlets into the closet. Later in the month, I will have an L shape desk created to accommodate the machines in a side by side order. This will give me ample room to add a Monks, ClearAudio Double Matrix Sonic and to build and add the V8 too. I'm in heaven - I get to experiment with all the top vinyl cleaning machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Golucid View Post
    I relocated into the office closet all three vinyl cleaning machines. Next week, I have an electrician coming in to install two electrical outlets into the closet. Later in the month, I will have an L shape desk created to accommodate the machines in a side by side order. This will give me ample room to add a Monks, ClearAudio Double Matrix Sonic and to build and add the V8 too. I'm in heaven - I get to experiment with all the top vinyl cleaning machines.
    Now that there is just too good!
    Let us know how the ClearAudio Double Matrix does, it's kind of interesting.

Someone asked about this article and finally found the issue in a box of audio magazines. From Sounds Like... magazine, Issue #8, 1990.

Who would have thought 25 years later LPs are making a comeback, the number of RCFs on the market has more than doubled and high quality inner sleeves in abundance. Just goes to show how lousy we are predicting the future.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg

Astonishing when you stop and think about it, then think back to when vinyl was all there was and we had next to nothing in RCFs, RCMs, quality inner sleeves and all that.
    Who knew.

David-

You win!
    You have all the record cleaning machines together in one room. You are able to create a stand alone and various combination cleaning of each of your records. I know this is an invaluable experience because you can test, experiment and make your determinations of what is prefered and not prefered. No moral decisions here, just trade offs.

What you could help us all with is document your standards for clean and dirty. It does not have to be complicated, like "I removed .03 grams of particulate matter from Record X.." - though I am sure some of our astute hobbyists that read this may want to see some true objectivity. (And if you can help David and us on this, please come forward)

For your standard of clean, please take a moment in your own words, document with logical examples of what a clean record is to you. This way the reader has an understanding of what a standard of clean is.

Please do the same for the standard of dirty. It can be that record store find, that Discogs Disc that arrived from Greece, or the effect of pet dander, dust and oily human hands. Something to that effect that makes the record unsatisfactory to play on your turntable.

What is interesting is this cleaning machine, which includes both "Sonic" and "Vacuum" technologies. 1 What do they know that VPI, KLAudio, and Autodesk doesn't? 2 What have they learned? 3 Is this your next machine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dd9k5x2jaU

here is a Youtube search.. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...r+audio+matrix

Beyond this, 4 what other resource could you use to determine that one record machine is better than the other? 5Who could possible tell you what is what when you have all the RCMs right there in front of you?

First my answers to questions 4 & 5:

4: Myles B. Astor or Michael Fremer are verbose in all thing Vinyl. They are professional reviewers that stand as critics that many trust their judgment. (and I forgot someone, please add them because I don't know everyone or everything.)

5: More people who are either invited your house or has the an agreeably high performing audio system to confirm what you are telling us. I am sure the people in Q4 have seen all this in one shape or another, but have not done the extensive test that you have- for one reason or another.

I conclude that you are doing great things for the art of music, vinyl and music enjoyment. You are not a magazine or a website with financial motives. Your quest is the truth. It may not be the absolute truth, but you have climbed the mountain, looked around and you can see things that many cannot. This reason to be, makes you THE expert, unless someone should challenge your findings. (Then life will get a whole lot more exciting for us in the audience). Keep up your "Audio Philanthropy" and be that maven for all of us to learn from.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicDirector View Post
    Good question. If it's holding up well after all that assault, it's safe to say that it is a very well built machine, (little doubt it isn't). With that amount of records there is no doubt about the need for it. It scares me to think about doing that many on my VPI, not that it may not hold up, but I wouldn't and I don't mind taking time to clean records at all. Makes me thankful that I only have a handful of records compared to almost everyone here.
    My Audio Deske lasted about 6500 records before it bit the dust - motor burned out. I did many of the records with 5 beeps (maximum cleaning time) though they probably only need one beep (normal cleaning). That probably led to an earlier demise. Clearly for most users that wouldn't be an issue. Anyway they replaced it with a new machine for $1500, a little more than 1/3rd the retail price. My dealer, Tim Marutani, handled the transaction. I had considered getting a KLA to replace it, but at the price and my general satisfaction with the AD, I decided to stay with AD. I'm around 1000 records into the new machine with no problems. I am only about 750 records away from finishing my ripping project, so that should be done in a few months! Hurrah!

PS. I had a total of 4 VPI machines over the 25+ years, cleaning my 15,000 records, most of them two different times. Three machines by necessity and one by upgrade.

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,

Larry- Interesting comments and thank you for sharing. Also please feel free to create a thread about your Vinyl Ripping project- It's very interesting to me and I know others would like to learn from what you have learned. (I want to do this with a TASCAM DA-3000 and my current tube phono stage)

Regarding your postscript, have you had the chance to have all 4 VPI machines together, in one room, at the same time? (that just sounds naughty ) It's unclear if you repurchased or had various combination of the four at two different times or ??? thanks.

My Audio Deske lasted about 6500 records before it bit the dust - motor burned out. I did many of the records with 5 beeps (maximum cleaning time) though they probably only need one beep (normal cleaning). That probably led to an earlier demise. Clearly for most users that wouldn't be an issue. Anyway they replaced it with a new machine for $1500, a little more than 1/3rd the retail price. My dealer, Tim Marutani, handled the transaction. I had considered getting a KLA to replace it, but at the price and my general satisfaction with the AD, I decided to stay with AD. I'm around 1000 records into the new machine with no problems. I am only about 750 records away from finishing my ripping project, so that should be done in a few months! Hurrah!

PS. I had a total of 4 VPI machines over the 25+ years, cleaning my 15,000 records, most of them two different times. Three machines by necessity and one by upgrade.

Larry
    Thanks Larry.
    Wow, gave out after 6500 LPs huh? Although, considering the fact that you did max cleaning on all those records it might have gone to 7500 or more had you cleaned accordingly as you mentioned. Still, that's only about $1.63 per record and you can't put a price on the automation and value of time spent not to mention any wear and tear on your hands or something cleaning that many records by other means.
    A replacement for $1500...how do they do that? If these machines were that to begin with sales would be through the roof. Although even at $4k, if I had a collection 1/4 the size of yours, I'd save up for however long it took and whatever to get one rather than try that stunt with my VPI. (Although I would not be putting really dirty records through without a first pass through the VPI or whatever machine already on hand). It would be worth every cent in my opinion. Sure, the VPI is a fraction of the cost, is a fine machine for it's purpose and most everything on it is easily replaced even by the end user, but my hands and the rest of my body and time are not replaceable.
    Hmm, seeing that your already 1000 records in on the new one and not a hint of issues, perhaps some improvements were made inside someplace?

~Eric

Myles, thank you for posting the article. Will give it a read asap.

Allen

Taking a break

Yes, Myles. Thank you! I am handy with Photoshop, so I am going to process the images and make my own pdf of this.

Thanks, Myles. I'm sure I read the article way back when. My 4 VPIs were consecutive. I started with the VPI 16, IIRC. then went to a 16.5, then a 17F, and then back to a 16.5. I gave the last 16.5, still in decent condition, to a friend, after I got the ADS. My dealer, Tim, negotiated the replacement ADS - rather than sending my old one back to Germany to be repaired. I don't know how the price was determined, but it seems that it probably is well below wholesale (negotiated to keep both he and me reasonably happy and getting me a replacement to not delay my ripping project.)

I'll do a thread on my ripping project at some point. I have talked about it in different threads and different sites, but nothing comprehensive.

Larry

David...Perhaps a few pics of grooves under a microscope could be in comparative effectiveness order?

Speakeasy

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    David...Perhaps a few pics of grooves under a microscope could be in comparative effectiveness order?
    That's an interesting idea!

Do you have a recommended Microscope?
    What should we be looking for other than a change in images?

Quote Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
    That's an interesting idea!

Do you have a recommended Microscope?
    What should we be looking for other than a change in images?
    Maybe a Dino-lite will be good enough AM-7013MZT4 is 400x high resolution @ 5MB with polariser function should be good enough to show some level of granularity in the groove walls. Not sure if you could pick up groove damage at that resolution but you will see particulates easily enough.

I would use a scope with a polariser light that can be dialled in.

I haven't had much success using this model for SRA because it is short throw (long distance is better to track a stylus) so I will be buying the cheaper model recommended for that purpose.

If Myles is reading...do you recall what was the Dino-Lite model typically used for SRA measurement?

Speakeasy

Quote Originally Posted by Golucid View Post
    Yes, Myles. Thank you! I am handy with Photoshop, so I am going to process the images and make my own pdf of this.
    Thanks I wanted to do that! Perhaps I can take pics with my camera this weekend and give you something better to work with.

Taking a break

Thanks I wanted to do that! Perhaps I can take pics with my camera this weekend and give you something better to work with.
    PM me and I can email you my edits now in pdf. If they are good enough, can save you the hassle working on it again.

Interesting, he removed the cap on that model as I did too but it is a lower magnification scope which is better probably suited for the SRA application.

Speakeasy

Download CutePDF (free) and just "print" the .jpg's to it. Works a charm.
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Thanks, Myles. I'm sure I read the article way back when. My 4 VPIs were consecutive. I started with the VPI 16, IIRC. then went to a 16.5, then a 17F, and then back to a 16.5. I gave the last 16.5, still in decent condition, to a friend, after I got the ADS. My dealer, Tim, negotiated the replacement ADS - rather than sending my old one back to Germany to be repaired. I don't know how the price was determined, but it seems that it probably is well below wholesale (negotiated to keep both he and me reasonably happy and getting me a replacement to not delay my ripping project.)

I'll do a thread on my ripping project at some point. I have talked about it in different threads and different sites, but nothing comprehensive.

Larry
    Good dealer you have there Larry.

Visit our own SRA thread and please contribute your pics!:

http://audioshark.org/all-things-ana...l#.VVQC3SyLW0Y
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Taking a break

Myles, I upload the pdf here on AS. Folks, all that I did was take Myles images, remove colour content, straightened and did some text sharpening and packaged into a pdf. Voila.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Vinyl Cleaning - The Dirty Truth Letter from Mat Weisfeld, VPI Industries