Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: My Thoughts on Axpona

I heard the two-room demo of the Strads with the Pass gear. I should have spent more time going between the rooms and trying to catch the same song playing in each room. I didn't realize the main point of having the two rooms was to sell room treatments and not Pass gear and Strads, but I should have. It seems the main claim to fame for the sound treatments is the ability to 'trap' 30 Hz bass waves. Some thought the treated room sounded way over-damped. Again, I didn't spend enough time there to make a fair assessment. I was more transfixed with hearing the Strads for the first time. I liked the Strads. I was also under the mistaken impression that Bart was selling the dampening/diffusion panels by the part/section. Aesthetically, I didn't think the room treatments matched each other in color and they rather looked like a hodgepodge of different treatments from different companies all thrown together. In other words, it looks like something I would throw together in my room. When Bart mentioned that I was listening to $30k of room treatments, I was more than a little surprised to say the least (and not in a good way mind you). If I had to choose between buying the Strads or buying the room treatments, I'm buying me some Strads!
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    I heard the two-room demo of the Strads with the Pass gear. I should have spent more time going between the rooms and trying to catch the same song playing in each room. I didn't realize the main point of having the two rooms was to sell room treatments and not Pass gear and Strads, but I should have. It seems the main claim to fame for the sound treatments is the ability to 'trap' 30 Hz bass waves. Some thought the treated room sounded way over-damped. Again, I didn't spend enough time there to make a fair assessment. I was more transfixed with hearing the Strads for the first time. I liked the Strads. I was also under the mistaken impression that Bart was selling the dampening/diffusion panels by the part/section. Aesthetically, I didn't think the room treatments matched each other in color and they rather looked like a hodgepodge of different treatments from different companies all thrown together. In other words, it looks like something I would throw together in my room. When Bart mentioned that I was listening to $30k of room treatments, I was more than a little surprised to say the least (and not in a good way mind you). If I had to choose between buying the Strads or buying the room treatments, I'm buying me some Strads!
    My wife and I were impressed with the aesthetic quality of the treatments. We spoke to Bar and I think the reason they all looked very different is so he could demonstrate the various finishes etc. I'm considering buying some.
    Speakers: Magico M-Project w/MPods
    Amps: CAT Legend -> CAT JL7s
    Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / Black Beauty tonearm / Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95
    Digital: Roon->Vivaldi DAC/Upsampler
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna Elation ICs & SCs / Shunyata Denali 6000T & PC's / Furutech outlets

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Did it sound any better?
    To a certain extent. Not sure the Octave Research was the best match. The amps sounded good on the S3s last year but in retrospect, maybe lacked some dynamics too. But it could have been a million other things. That said could still really appreciate the quietness of the speaker and its linearity. I gotta get up sometime to hear Ian's speakers.

That said, nice customer that allows their dealer to pack up their 90K speakers and bring them to the show! The owner deserved a nice bottle of something!

Quote Originally Posted by madfloyd View Post
    My wife and I were impressed with the aesthetic quality of the treatments. We spoke to Bar and I think the reason they all looked very different is so he could demonstrate the various finishes etc. I'm considering buying some.
    I think it would have been better if he would have had his room look as good as possible (meaning color matched acoustic treatments) and then had a color brochure that showed all of the different color choices available. I don't claim to be a marketing genius, but that is what I would have done. I left his demo not knowing that he intentionally mixed and matched his colors to show off what was available. I figured that is what you get when you bought the different pieces that make up his package. And I spent some time talking to him.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

My Thoughts on Axpona