Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
    Audioshark

Lampizator Golden Gate

Lampizator Golden Gate - let's discuss! Has anyone heard it? It seems to be an all out assault on what's possible with DSD.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Lampizator Golden Gate

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Lampizator Golden Gate - let's discuss! Has anyone heard it? It seems to be an all out assault on what's possible with DSD.

Thoughts?

I'll let you know

I am very excited and curious myself! We have the show unit for AXPONA coming in tomorrow via DHL and Robert and I can't wait to pre-screen it.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Gopher View Post
    I am very excited and curious myself! We have the show unit for AXPONA coming in tomorrow via DHL and Robert and I can't wait to pre-screen it.
    This is not good. No, no, no. If it's better than the Big 7, I will NEVER sleep. Oh boy....

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

This is not good. No, no, no. If it's better than the Big 7, I will NEVER sleep. Oh boy....

Mike,

Would you buy a DSD only Lampi or purchase with PCM too?

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Mike,

Ken
    Now THAT is a great question Ken - let's take Mike's review out for a Test Drive and see what how Big Kahuna opines...

Audioshark

Mike,

Ken
    Golden Gate for me! Go big or go home!

My friend got his today!!!

Golden Gate for me! Go big or go home!

My friend got his today!!!

Beautiful . Tell me Mike - have you ever actually gone home a day in your life ?

Mike, hold off until next month. I've heard a rumor that the "Brooklyn Bridge" version comes out soon.
    Doug

Super Moderator

I'm waiting for the "London Bridge" version
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

As I have posted elsewhere the GG has my attention. Lucasz has agreed to do an i2s DSD input for me if I tender him a Sonore Sig Rendu for a few weeks. That will be the cats meow. Jesus's i2s may be the best dsd connection on the planet. Looking froward to hearing the GG this weekend.

Upsampled DSD 256 streamed over ethernet to Sig Rendu and fed to GG over i2s.......

If there is a better mousetrap I am not aware of it.

The copper tone on the GG looks gorgeous , however ... from feedback don't think the leap in SQ will be worth the steep jump in retail . The Big7 is touted to be coming out with a similar aluminium chassis . Options will be black or silver . Does anybody have pics or reports on the newly released balanced version ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhead View Post
    The copper tone on the GG looks gorgeous , however ... from feedback don't think the leap in SQ will be worth the steep jump in retail . The Big7 is touted to be coming out with a similar aluminium chassis . Options will be black or silver . Does anybody have pics or reports on the newly released balanced version ?
    Care to elaborate on the feedback? (Details on the "leap" and reliability of source.) Just different than what I have heard from my long lost friend Norman.

So which version will be the BALANCED version? I would not want to spend the premium if it was single ended only. Brooklyn Bridge?
    Not sure I would want a pre-amp either but would want the LCD to display mode of operation and a trigger port.

Speakeasy

Quote Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post
    Care to elaborate on the feedback? (Details on the "leap" and reliability of source.) Just different than what I have heard from my long lost friend Norman.
    Dealer feedback ... However if to the contrary , sure would pine for one . At this point in time am thinking of trying the Big7 , just be waiting that little bit longer for the aluminium chassis and maybe for tube rolling to be added to the balanced version .

Mike,

If I decided I wanted to jump back into the tube world again (I used to own a Cary SLP-05), I would go for the Balanced Big 7 with Dual Mono DSD256x, Dueland Caps and Psvane Treasure 101D. You've created a monster!

Ken
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Audioshark

Mike,

If I decided I wanted to jump back into the tube world again (I used to own a Cary SLP-05), I would go for the Balanced Big 7 with Dual Mono DSD256x, Dueland Caps and Psvane Treasure 101D. You've created a monster!

Ken
    I'm having a hard time convincing my brain that a SINGLE ENDED source is best balanced. I think a single ended source needs to stay single ended.

I'm having a hard time convincing my brain that a SINGLE ENDED source is best balanced. I think a single ended source needs to stay single ended.

Mike,

Here's some feedback on the Balanced Big 7 from someone who knows:

The Bal. Lampi uses any brand of 101d, so you can roll brands, not DHT types. 101d is a tube rollers favourite.

Reports from Lukasz is that the Bal is knocking it out of the park! Immediate bang, even before break in...but for FULLY balanced systems. Even quieter than SE.

With Lampi you dont have to fear market changes, as all can be upgraded for whatever feature, given the hand built nature. You just cant go between DHTs and signal tubes are they are fundamentally different builds.

Lampis sound great, but everyone has diff tastes, so you would have to try to know if its YOUR sound. It is for lots of people.

Best,
    Ken

Mike,

Ken
    +1, but no pre-amp. LCD display & trigger out port should be standard. Not sure whether he can do LCD without the pre-amp because of the "kit" implementation.

Speakeasy

Hey all! So pleased to see the interest surrounding our products.

I just wanted to put out a PSA to those of you who were planning on hitting the AXPONA show next weekend that we will have a big room in the lobby (The Higgins Room) where we will partner with Lamm, Vapor, Antipodes and Verrastarr as we make our world debut of the Golden Gate DAC. I hope to have the opportunity to meet some of you guys there and share some conversation and good tunes.

We will also have a Big 7 making beautiful music on the fifth floor in room 504 where we will be partnered with Wells Audio, Danacables and Ginkgo.

In the headphone area we'll also have one of our Level 4 DACs paired to a Wells Audio Headtrip and a pair of the Abyss headphones...

Make sure to stop in and meet the mad scientist, Lukasz Fikus, Robert and myself!

Best,

Fred A.

Thoughts?

Yeah...I mentioned that here weeks ago. I heard the first one delivered to a Pla's house in the NL, but it was only with a stock MBPro, completely not broken in and only playing DSD. Go back thru my posts and you will see what was said.

It has even better internal parts, a copper case (better shielding), stock psvane 101d tubes, DSD256 standard, mundorf power caps, Vishay this and that, and all kind of Gucci branded parts that push every audiophile button.

If you got the dough, its the one to get.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    Mike, hold off until next month. I've heard a rumor that the "Brooklyn Bridge" version comes out soon.
    Actually, the beauty of the Lampi is that its infinitely upgradeable...benefit of being hand built.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

That sound like what i heard. I saw pics somewhare of the innards of the balanced. i hear its dynamite....in a fully balanced system, of course.
    NORMAN

Dealer feedback ... However if to the contrary , sure would pine for one . At this point in time am thinking of trying the Big7 , just be waiting that little bit longer for the aluminium chassis and maybe for tube rolling to be added to the balanced version .
    NA dealers have not heard the GG yet, so you may be talking about Asia? NA guys will hear it in Axpona they tell me. All this info is at A-Circle forum.

You CAN roll tubes in the Bal. ... Just brands though as it will be 101d based (PSvane Treasure, WE Replica and real vintage WE (Globe and ST --which I have)...plus some French equivalent tube. Also even for the WE, there is the Bakelite base and the metal base.

No chance of rolling output tube TYPES, eg 45/6A3/300b, etc...

You CAN also roll the Rectifier. 5u4g,5y3,5R4,54R, GZ34, GZ37, 422a, U52, type 83v, type 80, (last 2 with adapter). Basically any 5v recti will do, but they vary dramatically due to IH vs DH and VOLTAGE DROP.

Copper chassis in the GG makes for a better shield than Alu.

If you have a fully balanced setup, then the Bal GG or B7 is the way to go for sure. Otherwise SE is better.

I am hearing about a Bal B7 HeadDac as well for the near future. I am also hearing that R&D will be shut down for the next year or so, as he has finalized enough killer products lately and need to work on prod capacity at the moment.
    NORMAN

YUP, if your system is SE, then DONT get a Bal Dac. Lampi is real balanced, not faux balanced. Horses for courses.
    NORMAN

Mike,

Ken

As I already run an true balanced ARC REF Pre, that was pretty much the the specification I was aiming for, whilst playing around with the config menu on the Lampiztor.eu site, however It didn't seem clear to me whether this option was available without Vol/pre control, and I would be grateful if anyone could advise me accordingly.

I am pretty sure it is available without VC. You should send a message to Fred or Rob as they should know..
    NORMAN

Audioshark

I'm really grappling with this SE vs Balanced. First, I wonder what the gain increase of going balanced vs SE is? 6db? That WOULD be nice. Second, limiting yourself to 101d takes away half the fun. I'm sure the 101d is great, but as Al pointed out, it might not be everyone's cup of tea. Also, it's fun to try 300b's, among other tube types. Third, does "true balanced" take away some of the magic of the sound? I mean, we are talking about a pure SET device here. One of the reasons why SET amps sound so pure is because they are truly single ended. Fourth, let's remember, in a system, balanced doesn't always mean better than single ended (sonically). One listen to a Shindo or Kondo amp and preamp and you'll probably agree. There is a pureness to SE I find. YMMV.

More research is required...

No research needed. If you are running less than a FULLY balanced system ...if even a single component is SE, do not get the Bal Dac. ONLY the fully bal guys should get the bal Dac.

Also, tube rolling is tons of fun....

If you have a chance at a GG...GO FOR IT!
    NORMAN

Lampizator Golden Gate

Great to see you back posting Norman. Looking forward to checking in on the GG at Axpona. Sure has threads abuzz

Thanks Tunes,

Tell me what you think.

I heard it, but it was not broken in and had a sub par front end (still sounded marvellous after 4 hours or so). I expect Axpona will have a killer transport feeding it and you should hear the full potential realized there.
    NORMAN

Quote Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
    As I already run an true balanced ARC REF Pre, that was pretty much the the specification I was aiming for, whilst playing around with the config menu on the Lampiztor.eu site, however It didn't seem clear to me whether this option was available without Vol/pre control, and I would be grateful if anyone could advise me accordingly.
    Volume control is not mandatory, however it does come with the ability to change digital inputs or toggle between DSD and PCM from your chair is a nice luxury, but not a huge deal.

Agreed, Norman its great to see you back here!!!

Fred, What are you going to be feeding the GG with this weekend???......he said slobbering all over himself.

Fred, What are you going to be feeding the GG with this weekend???......he said slobbering all over himself.
    Hi Paul,

From Fred's earlier post:

"I just wanted to put out a PSA to those of you who were planning on hitting the AXPONA show next weekend that we will have a big room in the lobby (The Higgins Room) where we will partner with Lamm, Vapor, Antipodes and Verrastarr as we make our world debut of the Golden Gate DAC. I hope to have the opportunity to meet some of you guys there and share some conversation and good tunes."

"We will also have a Big 7 making beautiful music on the fifth floor in room 504 where we will be partnered with Wells Audio, Danacables and Ginkgo."

"In the headphone area we'll also have one of our Level 4 DACs paired to a Wells Audio Headtrip and a pair of the Abyss headphones..."

Ken

Paul,

Are you planning on purchasing the Golden Gate? If so, will you go balance or SE? What other features are you contemplating?

Best,
    Ken

We will be using an Antipodes DX Reference as the source, the Golden Gate will be feeding a Lamm L2 Reference Pre, then into a pair of Lamm M2.2 Monoblocks. That's a pretty impressive lineup, we're excited to hear the results!

Ryan,

Please, can you ensure that the Antipodes will be streaming some nice DSD128 to the GG. I would love to get your feedback on how that sounds. Which speaker are you using? Derecho, Nimbus or (gasp) the Perfect Storm???

Wish I could be there to hear that setup!!

Are you ever doing shows in Europe? I am very curious to hear Vapor speakers after all I have read.
    NORMAN

For me it's about choice ,, and in SE there is many choices while in balanced there is little. I have systems that are both , I could not say one is over the other and I agree with mike it's a listen to pick not words from others. Regarding upgrades it's funny that as much as there is options to pick from there is always upgrades that can be done later. Another good idea for us lampi people , I know the lampi people seem cult like but this is cult I like. There is many more owners to converse with now than years ago. And it's good that the ones who have them post about them weather is bad or good it makes it better for everyone.
    When I bought my msb and then looked for other owners to post with I found three. Nice people but not like what happens with lampi. There is a wealth of info on lampi and people like mike dig deep to find all,of them. That's what this hobby needs testimonies not reviews that mean far less. Also regarding upgrades I know there is some who do and one being msb. But given it would cost me 20K to make mine the newest model. And yes I am thinking about it hahahaha. But the point is having dacs like the msb to do comparisons gives me pause to is it really worth four times the price. Of course it's not !!!!
    Upsampling sampling a new craze that gets bigger every day. It's a must hear for many and when one hears real DSd froma lampi they want it for there PCM . For me now matter what way I try it it's not DSd and its not my PCM either. The only route I did not try as yet is the HQ player. But as a player it sounded poor compared to j river on my server. Not worth it. But again choices for others to try. For me win SER 2012 and the new AO have improved again what I call end game sound. Now with jplay 6 it's even better. Funny how every time it's end game and I am Queing up,the fat lady I hit pause. Lampi is this way too , but if Norman is right we can just focus on our music and not dissecting it.

Food for thought how much do we sit and enjoy as opposed to desict. ? I wonder. ?????

Hi Paul,

From Fred's earlier post:

"I just wanted to put out a PSA to those of you who were planning on hitting the AXPONA show next weekend that we will have a big room in the lobby (The Higgins Room) where we will partner with Lamm, Vapor, Antipodes and Verrastarr as we make our world debut of the Golden Gate DAC. I hope to have the opportunity to meet some of you guys there and share some conversation and good tunes."

"We will also have a Big 7 making beautiful music on the fifth floor in room 504 where we will be partnered with Wells Audio, Danacables and Ginkgo."

"In the headphone area we'll also have one of our Level 4 DACs paired to a Wells Audio Headtrip and a pair of the Abyss headphones..."

Ken
    Thanks Ken.

Paul,

Are you planning on purchasing the Golden Gate? If so, will you go balance or SE? What other features are you contemplating?

Best,
    Ken
    I am certainly planning to spend some time listening this weekend. My Soulution 721 is dual mono, single-ended so that's what I would do if I go this way. I personally believe a phase splitter just detracts from SQ unless you have so much noise in long runs that its elimination offsets the negative effects. I have no problem asking my 721 to deliver the missing gain. I am only interested in the DSD. Two less caps in the signal path and no switch. Also considering an i2s input to work with Jesus's Sig Rendu. Lucasz has said he will work on this if I send him a Rendu. I consider it far superior than USB (no packet noise to mess up dac PS and PDN).

Thanks Ken.

I am certainly planning to spend some time listening this weekend. My Soulution 721 is dual mono, single-ended so that's what I would do if I go this way. I personally believe a phase splitter just detracts from SQ unless you have so much noise in long runs that its elimination offsets the negative effects. I have no problem asking my 721 to deliver the missing gain. I am only interested in the DSD. Two less caps in the signal path and no switch. Also considering an i2s input to work with Jesus's Sig Rendu. Lucasz has said he will work on this if I send him a Rendu. I consider it far superior than USB (no packet noise to mess up dac PS and PDN).
    Hi Paul,

I think I generally understand what you are saying on a high level but would you be able to give me more detail so I can better understand it. You said the Soulution 721 preamp is dual mono, single-ended. Do you know what the Soulution 520 preamp is? (I just assumed it was a fully balanced design). Why do you have no interest in getting PCM? I also have no idea what the i2s input or Sig Rendu are.

Thanks so much,
    Ken

Well given the noise over at CA forum about the Corning optical USB cabe and the Uptone Audio REGEN (regenerating hub), i am not sure that USB has any more obvious liabilities.

Paul, if your Soulution gear is already all fully internally balanced, you may want to consider a fully Balanced DSD-only GG (DSD256 is standard for GG) and no VC. For me I would always get the PCM, but I see you are an absolutist. If you do DSD-only, then unless you are willing to do offline conversion of your material, you will need a CAPS/PC or something on your NAS to do the real time upsampling/conversion via HQP (the current best) and it needs a powerful setup like what Elberoth did. AL has a similar setup but does not upsample.

I think with MinimServer on the NAS you could do this, but NAS mobos are notoriously shitty compared to a bespoke CAPs builds where the Mobo and components are carefully selected. Remember upconverting from RBCD to DSD256 on the fly is heavy lifting.

Frankly you ned to spend time over at CA and gather all the feedback you can. Try to befriend guys like Imitchie/EuroDriver/Geoff Armstrong, etc. These guys atre experimenting everyday and reaching conclusions...
    NORMAN

Hi Paul,

I think I generally understand what you are saying on a high level but would you be able to give me more detail so I can better understand it. You said the Soulution 721 preamp is dual mono, single-ended. Do you know what the Soulution 520 preamp is? (I just assumed it was a fully balanced design). Why do you have no interest in getting PCM? I also have no idea what the i2s input or Sig Rendu are.

Thanks so much,
    Ken
    Cyrus believes that a phase splitter in a pre is a bad thing. So yes, the 520 is unbalanced too.

In this system, if I am going to listen to digital I want no compromise. I plan on storing my converted/upsampled DSD256 stuff on Nas and sending DSD through Sig Rendu to Lampi via i2s. I plan to use Saracon as Dan Weiss tells me he is close to a 256 upsample version. All PCM will be converted and upsampled. It is my expectation this will be superior to PCM native on the GG (maybe even to PCM native on other world class DACS given the Lampi raw DSD playback methodology).

IMO the Sonore Signature Rendu is the quietest, best SQ Ethernet to i2s device available and (IMO, MSB's opinion and others) i2s is the quietest, best SQ protocol for sending decoded files to a dac.

All that said, I may be completely wrong about all of these points and just do analog. Haven't decided. As you know I move very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Well given the noise over at CA forum about the Corning optical USB cabe and the Uptone Audio REGEN (regenerating hub), i am not sure that USB has any more obvious liabilities.

Paul, if your Soulution gear is already all fully internally balanced, you may want to consider a fully Balanced DSD-only GG (DSD256 is standard for GG) and no VC. For me I would always get the PCM, but I see you are an absolutist. If you do DSD-only, then unless you are willing to do offline conversion of your material, you will need a CAPS/PC or something on your NAS to do the real time upsampling/conversion via HQP (the current best) and it needs a powerful setup like what Elberoth did. AL has a similar setup but does not upsample.

I think with MinimServer on the NAS you could do this, but NAS mobos are notoriously shitty compared to a bespoke CAPs builds where the Mobo and components are carefully selected. Remember upconverting from RBCD to DSD256 on the fly is heavy lifting.

Frankly you ned to spend time over at CA and gather all the feedback you can. Try to befriend guys like Imitchie/EuroDriver/Geoff Armstrong, etc. These guys atre experimenting everyday and reaching conclusions...
    Normy-old-boy its so good to have you back. Now if we can just get my old friend MEP to resurface......

Regarding the bold above, I think I am getting a handle on things.

Regarding your other comments, please read my above post to Ken.

I am not convinced the $175 dollar Regen is going to be all that......(I do respect John Swenson though). I have also heard that glass causes more noise than it eliminates. USB starts with problems that i2s simply doesn't have. I think in a year or two it will be gone. I also think what Jesus has done with the Sig Rendu is somewhat unparalleled for the application I contemplate. Finally, converting and up-sampling on the fly creates theoretical problems that NAS storage avoids. No heavy processing during playback, lags, etc. Again, why do it if you don't have to. NAS storage is cheap.

Cyrus believes that a phase splitter in a pre is a bad thing. So yes, the 520 is unbalanced too.

In this system, if I am going to listen to digital I want no compromise. I plan on storing my converted/upsampled DSD256 stuff on Nas and sending DSD through Sig Rendu to Lampi via i2s. I plan to use Saracon as Dan Weiss tells me he is close to a 256 upsample version. All PCM will be converted and upsampled. It is my expectation this will be superior to PCM native on the GG (maybe even to PCM native on other world class DACS given the Lampi raw DSD playback methodology).

IMO the Sonore Signature Rendu is the quietest, best SQ Ethernet to i2s device available and (IMO, MSB's opinion and others) i2s is the quietest, best SQ protocol for sending decoded files to a dac.

All that said, I may be completely wrong about all of these points and just do analog. Haven't decided. As you know I move very fast.
    Does Lampi take i2S?

Thanks Ken.

Bonzo,

See above. Right now I have a verbal from Lukasz to play ball. I plan to discuss this with him tomorrow.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that detailed explanation. On the analog vs. digital (Lampi GG SE), you should let your own ears be the judge. Will you have the opportunity to listen to the GG at Axpona? Sounds like an excellent opportunity to hear it in your own backyard.

Best of luck,
    Ken

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that detailed explanation. On the analog vs. digital (Lampi GG SE), you should let your own ears be the judge. Will you have the opportunity to listen to the GG at Axpona? Sounds like an excellent opportunity to hear it in your own backyard.

Best of luck,
    Ken
    Hi are there any analog vs Big 7 or GG comparisons on the site?

Hi Paul,

Best of luck,
    Ken
    Yep, that's the plan.

Yep, that's the plan.
    Would you trust the sound of a dac at a show?

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Lampizator Golden Gate