Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Aftermarket Power cord for 105?

Hello, Does anyone think it's worth running a premium power cord on the 105?

Re: Aftermarket Power cord for 105?

I'm going to say yes. I don't know how extravagant you need to go but I imagine a Shunyata Venom 3 might be a nice upgrade. If an aftermarket cord can improve something like a DAC I don't see why it wouldn't improve a disc player either. I would think it would help the video side as well as the audio too.

It's all about getting good, proper current flow. Nobody does it better than Shunyata as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by dlb2; May 6, 2013 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Addition
    Doug

I have not done an A/B comparison, but I'm running a Silver Electra on mine..
    Dewey,

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    I'm going to say yes. I don't know how extravagant you need to go but I imagine a Shunyata Venom 3 might be a nice upgrade. If an aftermarket cord can improve something like a DAC I don't see why it wouldn't improve a disc player either. I would think it would help the video side as well as the audio too.

It's all about getting good, proper current flow. Nobody does it better than Shunyata as far as I'm concerned.
    Funny you said Venom 3 Doug. I changed out a descent manufacturers cord feeding a Denon DVD-2930ci to a Venom 3 for my Mothers and it was an amazing change. I'm sure a 105 deserves at least a Venom 3.
    Dave

... Dave's not here ...

System: Mcintosh MC302 / Parasound P5 / Monitor Audio G60
    Computer: Mac Mini 2012, SSD, 16gig, 10.9.4 / External SSD via Thunderbolt / Uptone Audio Regen / Amarra 3.0.2
    Cables: iFi Gemini Duel Head USB Cable / Acoustic Zen: Krakatoa PC, Hologram II Speaker Cable,
    Matrix Reference II Interconnect / Unity Audio PC's
    Extras:
    Furutech: GTX-D (R) Receptacle, (2) Flow-28 Power Filter, e-TP60 Distributor

It's peculiar. I'm running a Shunyata Zitron Cobra,and the stock power cord sounds better. I'm a big Shunyata fan, but I seem to be struggling with the upgrades lately. Maybe it's a burn in issue, or the cord is too heavy for the unit.

What are you experiencing with the Cobra? IIRC, people on AA experienced some schizophrenic sound (good one day, horrible the next) during burn in of their Zitron PCs. Maybe it's that?

Allen

Very "thin" sounding. Not full at all. No dynamic "punch".

It could be burn-in woes. How many hours burn-in thus far?

Allen

30ish. I've had Zitrons before and never had this issue.

I only have the one and didn't experience it either. Continue to burn it in and see how it develops.

Allen

Just for an experiment on my oppo 95 to see the difference, I have just swapped out my Shunyata Zitron PC to a generic one. My findings were quite surprising as I thought it sounded pretty good until I put the Zitron Cobra back in. Once the Cobra was back in straight away I noticed speed,dynamics, naturalness & full sounding voices, didn't even finish the song in the comparison.

I'm sure there's a lot of burn in to occur with your 105. What was your previous disc spinner?
    Dave

... Dave's not here ...

System: Mcintosh MC302 / Parasound P5 / Monitor Audio G60
    Computer: Mac Mini 2012, SSD, 16gig, 10.9.4 / External SSD via Thunderbolt / Uptone Audio Regen / Amarra 3.0.2
    Cables: iFi Gemini Duel Head USB Cable / Acoustic Zen: Krakatoa PC, Hologram II Speaker Cable,
    Matrix Reference II Interconnect / Unity Audio PC's
    Extras:
    Furutech: GTX-D (R) Receptacle, (2) Flow-28 Power Filter, e-TP60 Distributor

I've had the 105 for a few months now. I'm pretty sure it's percolated nicely. Thanks!!!

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Penthouse-D View Post
    I've had the 105 for a few months now. I'm pretty sure it's percolated nicely. Thanks!!!
    And? How's it sounding?
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

It sounds good Mike. Thanks. I'm just perplexed the stock power cord sounds better than the Cobra. I've never had that happen before. I'm just wondering if it's a function of the break-in process or the cable is too heavy for the unit, maybe constrictive.

Have you tried any other Shunyata PCs with it?

Allen

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Aftermarket Power cord for 105?