Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

T.H.E. Show Newport Beach

T.H.E. Show Newport Beach May 31-June 2, 2013 Visitor's Home

Anyone going to T.H.E. Show in SoCal??
    Dewey,

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

Re: T.H.E. Show Newport Beach

Thats quiet a lineup of exhibitors!

I would be in heaven, as I have not been back there in 20 years.
    Lived in Ocean Beach SD for 7 years.

If anyone makes it, be sure and take lots 'o pics to post please!

Dewey, I think I'm going

I've never been, but I think I'm going this time if I can handle it. I don't feel comfortable at things like this normally, but I am curious on this one. I don't do well with snobs and I know a few that will be there, but I can and need to avoid them. There are also subjects I do not discuss with anyone to avoid problems. For example: I hate cables and will obviously not be visiting any of those booths if I go and I do not discuss cables with anyone, no matter who they are. I also have to consider the high probability that there will be nothing there for me to look at or investigate or what have you because I am not an audiophile. I am trying to put myself into a state of emotional strength and calm mind so I can check it out. If I am unable to assure myself that I am in the mindset I need to be in, then I won't be going. I'm sensitive to energy from people and always have been which is a good part of the reason I don't do well at things like this or parties and such. It's exhausting for me and I always need to cut out early at things I attempt to attend. If I go I'll probably only last maybe 3 hours if lucky. Usually I'm good for about 2.5 hours max. That's why this is a solitary hobby to me which it is actually designed as such at it's core. Then there's work. If things get rough at work I won't be able to go if I wanted to, just the way it is.
    Last edited by MusicDirector; May 24, 2013 at 01:51 PM.

Well, I went and attended The SHOW for the first time. Here is my experience: This is my experience alone. It is unique and individual to anyone else who went.
    I arrived and was immediately lost which is normal for me. However, there were some very helpful people in yellow vest that soon had me in the right direction. I signed in and paid my money and then they print up a huge name tag you have to wear. I didn’t dig that because I like to be practically invisible at such things, but I had no choice if I wanted there. At the end it didn’t matter because everyone was wearing them and nobody ever noticed each other’s name tags. That’s kind of funny when you think about it.

So there I am and they gave me a book that had listings and maps, but I had printed my own as I did not know they had them. Turns out mine was easier to use for me. They also gave me a pen and a canvas like bag, so that was pretty good.
    So I started visiting the places I had marked first. (Turns out I had plenty of time to visit all of it).
    Turns out I had less to worry about than I thought as everyone was either with folks they knew or single-minded of purpose on a missing much like myself. I didn’t meet or talk to many folks, almost none due to the previously mentioned. I feel the event was just as compatible to folks attending solo as with partner or group. So I can’t really say it was fun to me as it was interesting. Sadly, many manufactures I was interested in were no shows. For example Oppo was not there, nor was Parasound or Sennhiser, etc.

I also felt that the majority of the focus was on speakers. Whenever I inquired about the gear such as CD players or Amps, etc. the reps would turn the focus back to speakers without giving hardly any time to what I was asking about. So I thought that was weird at best. That said, the shocking and most surprising thing was that I heard a lot of speakers and none of them were as good sounding as mine! Each of them had some lacking issue. Either the bass was loose or there was roll-off in either the highs or lows or mids or they did not sound as efficient or transparent, detailed, etc. It was shocking because with the exception of the bookshelf speakers, all the speakers there were at least 10 times what mine cost or more! Of course speakers are almost 90% subjective, so I’m sure nobody heard the same as me or anyone else. Also some guys were using processors like exciters and such so in my mind not only does it color the sound, but it’s sort of cheating in my book.
    One room had these sample and test CDs and the guy told me that if I fill out the little card (for spam purposes obviously) that I would get the CD free. So, why not, I did it. Yay, free CD to start the day, can’t go wrong with that. Also the speakers he was showing were very interesting, huge and in my opinion pretty much the best sounding big speakers of the show. They were pretty good in my opinion. They were nearly cabinetless too! I could not figure out why they sounded good for having nearly no cabinet.
    Next I visited the KEF room because. Parasound was supposed to be there, but were no shows. He then wanted to show me the speakers, but I am not He then asked what speakers I have and what I was driving them with. I told him and also mentioned that I’m very under-powered and was thinking of getting a more powerful receiver someday. He then told me that in order to get a receiver much improved over what I have it would cost quite a bit. He then suggest I save a lot of money and just get an amp and plug it in to the pre-amp section of the current receiver and solve my problem for less than $1000 and still have all the functions. I like that idea. He then handed me a test CD they have and told me to take it with me. So that’s 2 CDs free, always nice.

Next highlight: I came across Emotiva. They had their CD player, new DAC, monoblocks and one of the stereo amps there. I told the guy I was looking at CD players primarily, but want to do something about my lack of amp power for my speakers down the road. I told him I had concerns about their CD player and the guy couldn’t believe it, claiming there were no issues. Then a couple of minutes later, two more people walked in and mentioned the CD player issues as well. I then moved on to talk about their amps and DAC as I have heard nothing but good things about those. Suffice to say, I believe I found my amp and a DAC for future.
    Next, I was walking down the hall and heard great jazz drumming and honed right in on the signal as I am known to do being a percussionist myself. There was a demo going on of a turntable and after listening I had to know who the artist was. I was shown the record, the artist is Patricia Barber. The sound quality of the record was fabulous. The record title was Café Blue. I’m told that all her records sound fantastic in quality. The record being played wasn’t audiophile or 180 gram or anything, just standard issue. So I discovered a new artist for myself that day.
    Then I stopped in at the Vanatoo speakers room. What drew me in was that I saw these too tiny bookshelf speakers, but heard around 44khz bass coming out of them! I thought to myself there has to be a sub in the room someplace, so I walked in and started looking around, but there was no sub. So I sat there as he showed me the speakers. I was amazed, they sounded great for their size, in fact amazing for their size! Like the KEFs they have an A/B mp and a built-in dac, but are a slave/master config instead of powered separately. On top of that, they are affordable here on planet earth!

Final thought: I noted that only about 3 demo rooms were using CD players and 3 were using vinyl. All the rest were using computers playing MP3s. I would much rather have vinyl and CD in demo, but that’s me. I just thought it was kind of lackadaisical for everyone to be using computers even though they had CD players and or turntables on hand and ready.
    All in all an interesting day, but The SHOW I feel is one of those things that you go to once and that’s it, no need to go every year as far as I personally see. Again though this is my personal experience alone.

Super Moderator

Welcome back!

Thanks for the update Eric. I'd like to eventually attend one of the audio shows. Maybe next year. Looks like the world is changing around us with computer audio the new rage. It still has some growing up to do and it's kinda nice to just pop in a cd and push play without having to worry about tweaking anything. Looks like you found some great gear and new artists. I'm glad you attended and gave us a peek into what you experienced.
    Last edited by joeinid; June 2, 2013 at 10:31 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Good to have you back Eric!!!

Good to hear you had a great experience at the show..
    Dewey,

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

That's an awesome post Eric, thanks!
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

No pics?

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

You need a kodak for that. ...Instamatic?
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Thanks Eric, we're glad you're back and thankful for your report. It's always fun to find new music that you like !!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted View Post
    No pics?
    Sorry, no pics. The only camera I have is too big and heavy to carry around for hours on end. Besides there wasn't really anything to take pictures of from what I could tell.

Thanks for the show report. To me it's fun to live the show from other peoples perspective.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

I too went to The Show and since the majority of the product there are speakers, I narrowed my top four Brand.
    1) Vandersteen 7
    2) Totem
    3) Legacy
    4) Magico Q7
    There are also lots of bookshelves speakers out there that sounded like big tower speaker.
    On the first floor of the Hilton were they were selling vinyl and cd's, I bought some new remastered audiophile LP and a couple of XRCD's. Kimber Cables and Synergistic Research who were demoing there top of the line ac power cord that are connected to the Magico Q7 powered by VAC system. Personally, I think it was a good show but, I think last year were better. I also think while waiting to go to the CES in Las Vegas The Show will do for now.

How large is the show in comparison to RMAF?
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Eric, glad you are back.
    You mention Patricia Barber "CAFE BLUE", that album I used it a lot for demo in my
    Business and always get me good deals.
    Highly recommend it .
    I love :A taste of honey, from the album
    And the best part is that the album is not too expensive

Nelson
    Caribbean Distributor of
    ARC / Sonus Faber / Wadia / Wilson / VAC / Soulution / Nordost / Shunyata / Stillpoints
    Kuzma / Focal / Resonessence Labs / ARIA / KRELL / Pro-Ject...

Eric... Thanks for reporting on your experience on "The Show". It's cool you got some free stuff!!!

P.S. Glad to see you came back to the Shark!!!
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Jeff

AMP: McIntosh MC402 PRE: McIntosh C2300 Digital: Gold Note DS-10 & PSU-10 EVO TURNTABLE: Dr. Feickert Blackbird PHONO STAGE: Gold Note PH-10 & PSU-10 SPEAKERS: Aerial Acoustics Model 8B’s

“The more you tighten your grip Tarkin the more star systems will slip through your fingers”

Eric, welcome back!

At the NY Audio Show, I picked up the Cafe Blue album. Great CD, heard it's even better on vinyl!

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by highEndguy View Post
    Eric, glad you are back.
    You mention Patricia Barber "CAFE BLUE", that album I used it a lot for demo in my
    Business and always get me good deals.
    Highly recommend it .
    I love :A taste of honey, from the album
    And the best part is that the album is not too expensive

Nelson
    Yes, it sounded so good! However, it actually is very expensive...to me anyway. Lowest price I saw was $65! I would listen to it via streaming MP3, but I can't because I would not be able to put up with the bad sound quality.

Music direct 49.99USD

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-45497-p...-180g-2lp.aspx

Sent from my iPhone
    Caribbean Distributor of
    ARC / Sonus Faber / Wadia / Wilson / VAC / Soulution / Nordost / Shunyata / Stillpoints
    Kuzma / Focal / Resonessence Labs / ARIA / KRELL / Pro-Ject...

Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    Eric, welcome back!

At the NY Audio Show, I picked up the Cafe Blue album. Great CD, heard it's even better on vinyl!
    Yes, I came back after some thought and realizing that AS is really a very positive place for all intents and purposes. The positive and supportive aspect is all but gone on the forums I used to belong to. It's really a difference you can sense even though it's written form. (Not my favorite form of communication, but what do ya do).
    I was going to ask about the CD version and here you are. I wanted to get the vinyl version, but 1) it's extremely expensive and 2) I have an aversion to buying new vinyl at all.
    My question is: How does the CD version sound as played normally through a dedicated CD player, nothing special like tubes or anything? I'm assuming it sounds pretty bad or thin compared to the vinyl.

~Eric

Quote Originally Posted by highEndguy View Post
    Music direct 49.99USD

PATRICIA BARBER CAFE BLUE (180G 2LP) at Music Direct

Sent from my iPhone
    Way too expensive for a record to me. I also notice it's 180 gram. I'm not into that. I've inquired about the CD which I can get, but I won't if it sounds bad or thin compared to the vinyl. It's really not important that I get any of her stuff to listen to. I have the memory of what I heard and sometimes that is enough for me musically speaking.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by MusicDirector View Post
    Way too expensive for a record to me. I also notice it's 180 gram. I'm not into that. I've inquired about the CD which I can get, but I won't if it sounds bad or thin compared to the vinyl. It's really not important that I get any of her stuff to listen to. I have the memory of what I heard and sometimes that is enough for me musically speaking.
    I have the CD and it sounds great!
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

T.A.V.E.S. 2012 Best in show speaker was YEP a panel. Audio Exklusiv P3.1 - - - Audio Exklusiv P3.1.jpg - - - Audio Exklusiv P3.1 Speakers.jpg - - -
    André - - - Keep it simple system
    Amp = Chord CPM-2600
    Source = Chord One
    Speakers = Acoustat 1+1s highly modified
    Life without Acoustat is possible BUT senseless.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by MrAcoustat View Post
    T.A.V.E.S. 2012 Best in show speaker was YEP a panel. Audio Exklusiv P3.1 - - - Audio Exklusiv P3.1.jpg - - - Audio Exklusiv P3.1 Speakers.jpg - - -
    Love the sleek design. I had panel speakers on and off for years. There is something to be said about the wall of sound they create! Very intoxicating. Would love to hear these ones.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I have the CD and it sounds great!
    Thanks Mike, I will check out the CD then, far easier to get. My local library may even have it. I have yet to join that library, they have a HUGE media department I can hardly wait to look into.

~Eric

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

T.H.E. Show Newport Beach