Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Focal Utopia III Scala V2's in the house!

Mike, I am looking at the Scala V2. My audio dealer in France is offering one pair that he says has a very unique finish for €12500. Listened to them in the latest guise, Scala Evo and sheerly enjoyed them in all sincerity.

I am considering them against a pair of new Rockport Atria IIs. To make matters more interesting, another dealer back home says he is willing to part with the Scala Evo for €25000.

Since you have had the V2, would it be wise to go for the V2 or Evo or just gun for the Rockies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Turntable: VPI Prime - Ortofon Quintet S Black - VPI ADS
    Digital Source: dCS Bartok w/headphone amp
    Preamp: Soulution 520
    Amplifier: Soulution 511
    Speakers: Rockport Atria II
    Power conditioning- Shunyata Research Denali 6000T v1
    Power cord: AQ Thunder/Transparent Audio XL Gen 6
    Interconnect: Transparent Audio Super Gen 5 XLR and tonearm cable / Transparent Audio Gen 6
    Rack: Critical Mass Sotto Voce/ Critical Mass Black Platinum/MXR spike

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Bob82 View Post
    Mike, I am looking at the Scala V2. My audio dealer in France is offering one pair that he says has a very unique finish for €12500. Listened to them in the latest guise, Scala Evo and sheerly enjoyed them in all sincerity.

I am considering them against a pair of new Rockport Atria IIs. To make matters more interesting, another dealer back home says he is willing to part with the Scala Evo for €25000.

Since you have had the V2, would it be wise to go for the V2 or Evo or just gun for the Rockies?

That’s a great question. I think the Scala V2 can be very enjoyable and at $12,500, not a bad option. The Evo is a minor improvement IMO since the Scala saw three iterations and the rest of the line only saw two. Albeit the v2 Scala was rushed to market because there was a flaw with the V1. The Evo is interesting, but not sure it’s worth double when it comes to the Scala, Maestro yes, but Scala, no.

The Focal tweeter requires some work on your part to “tame”. You must ensure you have first and second point ABSORPTION, not diffusion and certainly not bare walls. Be very careful with cable, source and amp matching as well. Any of those that lean towards at top down presentation may exacerbate the problem.

As for the Rockport’s, I can only voice what I see: people seem to love their Rockport’s at first and then move on within a year. I know these might be the exceptions rather than the rule, but it’s just what I’ve observed.

I think there are better options out there, but addressed your question.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Your comment if applied to the Scala tweeter I can get on board with but the Maestro Utopia III tweeter never needed any "taming". Currently I have no treatments in my new place at any reflection points (just got everything set back up) and man is the tweeter on the Maestros smooth (cymbals and violins are WOW).

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Bar81 View Post
    Your comment if applied to the Scala tweeter I can get on board with but the Maestro Utopia III tweeter never needed any "taming". Currently I have no treatments in my new place at any reflection points (just got everything set back up) and man is the tweeter on the Maestros smooth (cymbals and violins are WOW).
    Isn’t it the same tweeter?

Hey, some guys like bite, some like Joe and I don’t. It’s all ok.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Yup, Mike usually disconnects the tweeters for me before I buy speakers from him.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

That comment indicates you don't have good familiarity with the Utopia line. The Scala tweeter is a little hot, the Maestro not at all.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Bar81 View Post
    That comment indicates you don't have good familiarity with the Utopia line. The Scala tweeter is a little hot, the Maestro not at all.
    That’s a little rude. But, to your point, they are slightly different

LOL - yeah Mike, don't you know anything about speakers ?

That’s a little rude. But, to your point, they are slightly different

~DP

Loudspeaker: Harbeth 40.2 Anniversary
    Amp/Pre: Luxman C900u/M900u
    Digital: Luxman d-10x + Aurender N10
    AQ Thunder
    pwr + Shunyata delta v2 signal

You just can't win.
    It was a loaded question to start with.
    Kudos to you for even trying.

That’s a great question. I think the Scala V2 can be very enjoyable and at $12,500, not a bad option. The Evo is a minor improvement IMO since the Scala saw three iterations and the rest of the line only saw two. Albeit the v2 Scala was rushed to market because there was a flaw with the V1. The Evo is interesting, but not sure it’s worth double when it comes to the Scala, Maestro yes, but Scala, no.

The Focal tweeter requires some work on your part to “tame”. You must ensure you have first and second point ABSORPTION, not diffusion and certainly not bare walls. Be very careful with cable, source and amp matching as well. Any of those that lean towards at top down presentation may exacerbate the problem.

As for the Rockport’s, I can only voice what I see: people seem to love their Rockport’s at first and then move on within a year. I know these might be the exceptions rather than the rule, but it’s just what I’ve observed.

I think there are better options out there, but addressed your question.
    Mike,

After looking the price of what Scala V2s are going at, it seems steep even considering the premium color finish that is on it.

I agree on the tweeter, listened to the Sopra 2 and 1 and did not like the Focals until the Scala Evo driven with FM Acoustics.

Been looking at some other makes too. Several other options are in consideration too- Kharma DB7S, Magico S3 MK 2, WA Yvette, Vivi Audio Kaya.

The hunt continues.

Turntable: VPI Prime - Ortofon Quintet S Black - VPI ADS
    Digital Source: dCS Bartok w/headphone amp
    Preamp: Soulution 520
    Amplifier: Soulution 511
    Speakers: Rockport Atria II
    Power conditioning- Shunyata Research Denali 6000T v1
    Power cord: AQ Thunder/Transparent Audio XL Gen 6
    Interconnect: Transparent Audio Super Gen 5 XLR and tonearm cable / Transparent Audio Gen 6
    Rack: Critical Mass Sotto Voce/ Critical Mass Black Platinum/MXR spike

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Focal Utopia III Scala V2's in the house!