Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Calypso/Sig Wanted - FOUND!

I'm kind of sniffing around, and thinking of shooting one up against my Pass XP-10.

Thoughts? Got one? I see a few on the auction sites; is $2500 insulting?
    CD

DAC/Pre-amp - PSAudio DsJ > Power-amp - > Speakers - PMC TwentyFive 23s

Re: Calypso/Sig Wanted

I have been considering the same (I currently own a Calypso) and I think it may be difficult to buy a Calypso Signature for $2,500 based on what I have seen in the market. I think you will need to be above $3,000.
    Jim Perry

Garrard 301 TT in Woodsong Plinth
    Ortofon 309D Tonearm
    Shindo Cartridge
    EMT Cartridge

SME Model 10A Turntable
    Benz Micro LP-S mr Cartridge
    Aesthetix Rhea Signature Tube phono preamp
    Aesthetix Calypso Tube preamp
    Aesthetix Atlas Amplifier
    Proac Response D-40r Speaker
    Linn Genki CD Player
    Nordost Cable

Quote Originally Posted by jperry View Post
    I have been considering the same (I currently own a Calypso) and I think it may be difficult to buy a Calypso Signature for $2,500 based on what I have seen in the market. I think you will need to be above $3,000.
    Thanks Jim. I actually meant just a Calypso for $2500; to get a Sig for that, would be a real coup!
    CD

There is an Aesthetix Calypso for sale on Audiogon with an asking price of $2,700. I don't think $2,500 is unreasonable at all

The one listed on Agon right now (non Sig) was $2500 the other day. Looks like he raised it to $2700.

If you do end up getting to listen to one Chris, try to have some different tube sets around (12ax7 and 6922 or variants) so you can hear what it can do with the different tube types/makes.
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Yeah, I'm talking to that guy. He's offered a fair price; it's a little on the old side (like 6 years).

Pull that trigger?
    CD

I have two good buddies that both own the Callisto and Io with multiple power supplies. If you like a warm and rich sound with a very palpable 3D soundstage they are superb. Of course they are not as quiet as comparable solid state preamps, but they have their own very desirable and even 'magical' qualities. They have both required some service over the years, but the company's technical service and support is excellent. The Calypso is a more basic version than the Callisto, with a simpler circuit and integrated power supply.

I don't think they have changed much. I paid $2,400 for my used unit. As Mike says you might try a few different 12ax7 and 6dj8 tube combinations. I am currently using RCA 12ax7 and Amperex 6dj8 tubes in mine.

Quote Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
    Yeah, I'm talking to that guy. He's offered a fair price; it's a little on the old side (like 6 years).

Pull that trigger?

That's for you to decide, but it seems like a fair price to me.

I'm running NOS 5751 Sylvania Triple Mica Black Plate & 6dj8 Sylvania NCR tubes right now and they are smooth with beautiful midrange and just the right amount of detail for my ears. A couple of weeks ago I slapped in some NOS Tung Sol 12ax7 to compare against the 5751's. They provide more detail than the Sylvania 5751 and sound stunning at lower volumes with clarity beyond reproach but as the volume is dialed up (around 90db), they imparted a bit of fatigue to my ears due to ALL the detail presented. All in all, the Sylvania's are more my style.

I love that tube rolling with this linestage is not only simple (four tubes total with a lift off lid for the chassis) but that it's also easy to ascertain the differences between tube flavors.
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Ha; I usually have a rule, about asking "should I buy this piece"...because for all I know, someone will take a shine and buy it out from under me.

Hope that's not what happened here; but alas...it's gone.
    CD

Ha; I usually have a rule, about asking "should I buy this piece"...because for all I know, someone will take a shine and buy it out from under me.

Bummer Chris. Keep your eye out, they do appear for a good price every now and then....and they generally move quick if not over priced.
    Avanti Audio

I wouldn't worry about it. They show up and sometimes with better pricing as well as NOS tubes.
    Jim Perry

Ortofon 309D Tonearm
    Shindo Cartridge
    EMT Cartridge

SME Model 10A Turntable
    Linn Genki CD Player
    Nordost Cable

FOUND!
    CD

Audioshark

FOUND!
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

FOUND!
    That is great. If you decide to tube with NOS tubes I recommend you contact Andy at Vintage Tube Services. He is recommended by Aesthetix and is very helpful.
    Jim Perry

Ortofon 309D Tonearm
    Shindo Cartridge
    EMT Cartridge

SME Model 10A Turntable
    Linn Genki CD Player
    Nordost Cable

Quote Originally Posted by jperry View Post
    That is great. If you decide to tube with NOS tubes I recommend you contact Andy at Vintage Tube Services. He is recommended by Aesthetix and is very helpful.
    Thanks Jim!
    CD

Chris

I have been intrigued by the Calypso looking forward to your impressions with the Pass. Especially how it's 20 db gain works with the input sensitivity of those amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Chris

I have been intrigued by the Calypso looking forward to your impressions with the Pass. Especially how it's 20 db gain works with the input sensitivity of those amps.
    If the gain on the Calypso is too high you can reduce by moving some internal jumpers. Call or e-mail Aesthetix for specific instructions.
    Jim Perry

Ortofon 309D Tonearm
    Shindo Cartridge
    EMT Cartridge

SME Model 10A Turntable
    Linn Genki CD Player
    Nordost Cable

That's good to know as both of the amps I would use it with have Input Sensitivity of around 1v for full output and are more comfortable with lower gain. Do you know how much you can lower it?

Good job Chris!
    Avanti Audio

That's good to know as both of the amps I would use it with have Input Sensitivity of around 1v for full output and are more comfortable with lower gain. Do you know how much you can lower it?
    -12db

http://www.aesthetix.net/docs/Aesthe...structions.pdf
    Avanti Audio

From the Aesthtix website:
    The Calypso / Janus is a high gain linestage. Audio systems with efficient speakers and / or sensitiveamplifiers may require less gain. One indication would be a low volume control range, i.e. 0-40 fornormal listening level. Another is excessive tube hiss from the Calypso / Janus (referring to thelinestage section of the Janus). If there is excessive tube hiss and the volume range is greater than40, likely the tubes are the problem and the vacuum tube troubleshooting guide should be consulted.If it is determined that a lower gain setting is desirable, the following procedure details a –12dB gainreduction. Reducing the gain by 12dB will also reduce tube hiss by 12dB.

The instructions are here:

http://www.aesthetix.net/docs/Aesthe...structions.pdf

See the support page at Aesthetix
    Jim Perry

Ortofon 309D Tonearm
    Shindo Cartridge
    EMT Cartridge

SME Model 10A Turntable
    Linn Genki CD Player
    Nordost Cable

When will you receive the Calypso Chris? Is it the Standard or Signature model?

FYI, today I popped the lid on my Calypso Signature just to check what gain setting was set by the factory (I've not played with the settings since its purchase). Mine is set on the low gain option which seems perfect for my almost 94db sensitive loudspeakers as I'm able to do my normal listening between the range of 35 and 65 on the linestage display.
    Avanti Audio

Mike, I'm going to start off with the non-Sig. If it blows me away...I might start soliciting opinions, about the upgrade; or look into getting some cap work independently. Should be here, by next weekend; the question is...will I have any speakers by then?
    CD

the question is...will I have any speakers by then?
    Say what? Please do elaborate!
    Avanti Audio

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCh View Post
    Say what? Please do elaborate!
    Ha; well...the Aerial 6Ts have been packed-up for a while (and have now been sold). And I am without one of my PMC FACT 3s, because it was sent out for a project (I am actually building a "duplicate" pair, from an authentic set of cabinets I purchased...sans drivers, x-over, etc; and I sent the single FACT 3 to the guy building the cross-over for me, so he could voice the new build).

So right now...I have no speakers, for the Main room; just the KEF X-300s in my office, and Pioneer SP-BS22s in my bedroom

FACT 3 should be back soon...and KEF LS-50s right behind that. KEF Ref 1s, god only knows
    CD

Welcome...Calypso

Welcome back...FACTs! (just in time, to sell )

Soon...I will put an Auralic Vega on the shelf

CD

Very nice!
    System 1: Matrix Element M -> Sugden A21se -> Klipsch Cornwall 3.

System 2: Matrix Element X -> Exposure 3510 -> Heco Direkt.

How's it sound?
    System 1: Matrix Element M -> Sugden A21se -> Klipsch Cornwall 3.

System 2: Matrix Element X -> Exposure 3510 -> Heco Direkt.

If you decide to tube with NOS tubes I recommend you contact Andy at Vintage Tube Services. He is recommended by Aesthetix and is very helpful.
    This good advice. I've seen more than one Calypso, Rhea and Janus damaged by crap "NOS" tubes. Buy only from reputable sellers.
    I might start soliciting opinions, about the upgrade; or look into getting some cap work independently
    The Sig is a significant upgrade. Don't just let any hack swap out caps. Not only will it not be the complete upgrade, but you will devalue your preamp and possibly ruin it.
    Dan Santoni

Authorized service for (in no particular order) - Copland, Cary, Unison Research, Allnic, Modwright, Ayon, Hegel, Belles, Aesthetix, Coincident, Zesto and a whole bunch more

Custom Manufacturer of Blackdog HiFi.

www.dtsaudioelectronics.com
    www.blackdoghifi.com

Quote Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
    The Sig is a significant upgrade. Don't just let any hack swap out caps. Not only will it not be the complete upgrade, but you will devalue your preamp and possibly ruin it.
    I agree with you. I just had my Rhea upgraded to Signature and it was very significant. Blacker background, more space between singers and instruments, and more fine detail (without brightness)
    Jim Perry

Ortofon 309D Tonearm
    Shindo Cartridge
    EMT Cartridge

SME Model 10A Turntable
    Linn Genki CD Player
    Nordost Cable

Nice Chris! First impressions of the pairing with Pass and the PMC combo?

What tubes are currently installed?

p.s. dim the display on the Calypso or else you will go blind! LOL
    Avanti Audio

Too soon to tell, on the sound. Not only has it only been here a day; but I've been without my system for a number of weeks. Need to let things settle in a bit, before critical listening (break-in for the ears ).

Initial impressions: when it's good, it's very good. Play something in it's wheelhouse, and there's great weight and tone...just like a good tube pre-amp should. Couple of times, I got kind of this "hollowed-out" presentation; very flat, and 2-D. So my initial thought, is it might be unforgiving of source; though my only one right now, is TIDAL through the Aurender. Might also need some tube tweaking.

I thought I had Mullard CV4004s around. Either I accidentally let them go, with a piece of gear...or (hopefully), they're in the pre-stage of my PrimaLuna tube IA. So last night...just to get things up and going; I started with GL new prod, in the 6922 slot...and Tung Sol in the 12ax7. Hey...you need to start somewhere, to establish a base right?

Thanks for thoughts on the Sig upgrade. I've heard mixed opinions. Some have said, BIG difference; others said, not so much. We'll see.
    CD

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Calypso/Sig Wanted