Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Cholesterol in the News

Since the government finally after many years changed its stance on cholesterol, thought this review article might be of interest regarding the current thoughts on blood lipid chemistry.

Blood Cholesterol Testing ? don?t let the simple numbers fool you!

Actually new studies show HDL1 is the most important subparticle of the three HDL classes.

HDL Map Test® | Boston Heart Diagnostics
    Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

Re: Cholesterol in the News

Maybe they will stop trying to get everyone on satins. Twelve years or so ago I was in agony from Lipitor. All my joints ached, my lower back was killing me, and I hurt all over. I read an article in Business Week, of all places, about some guy with the same issues, and he said he got better after quiting Lipitor. I Googled it and found out Lipitor was the drug from hell. It was a satan, not a satin. Anyway I stopped and felt better a week later. I decided to forget cholesterol testing since my diet was fine, and the doctor said my body just naturally created higher numbers.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Here is what I have learned over the years:At some point in time, everything is labeled as being bad for you. A few years go by and the scientific opinions are reversed and what was bad is now good. A few more years go by and what was bad and then determined to be good is labeled as being bad again. A few more years go by and the same products are labeled as good again. You only have one liver, and if you ruin it because of statin drugs, what difference does it make what your LDL/HDL levels are??
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Well we know we had the debate about the use of statins and their side effects over on another unnamed forum and certainly everyone had their opinion. Let's put it this way: clinically it's debatable if statins protect against heart attacks but the evidence definitely shows they do help against a secondary event. And yes, statins do have their side effects and I've seen the same thing that Bud experienced in a few of my clients taking statins. And even more in terms of muscle issues and especially pulls in active clients. These side effects are being more and more documented and there's not some really good reasons why these are happening in patients taking statins.

That said, everyone should always consult with their doctor and if one drug doesn't work, your physician may recommend alternative agents.

In the above piece, the take home message is about those small dense LDL particles because they appear to be more prone to oxidation ergo, that sort of unifying theory that many diseases such as CHD, diabetes, cancer, autoimmune disorders, arthritis, Alzheimers, etc. are linked to chronic low levels of oxidative stress in the body. Then we get to the topic of of course, the effects of omega 3 FA (and new drugs such as Lovaza) vs omega 6 FA or even omega 9s and foods such as olive oil.
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

Do you guys read Michael Pollan? My thoughts about diet are largely in line with his from what I read in his book "In Defense of Food". It's an easy and entertaining read as well if anyone is interested. It discusses the industrialization of food, the related marketing and subsequent health effects, and offers alternative wisdom about diets differing from the common tendency to focus on specific fats/nutrients/vitamins etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Living Room System: Mac Mini > PS Audio PWD MKII/ Marantz TT-15 Turntable w/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze> Musical Fidelity LX2LPS> Primaluna Dialogue Premium> Klipsch Forte III

Read Salt, Sugar, Fat by Michael Ross. Award winning writer and will open a few eyes.

http://www.amazon.com/Salt-Sugar-Fat...salt+sugar+fat

Aren't salt, sugar, and fat the three dietary staples?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

The three food groups!

This really doesn't relate to the "news", but I have found that having Cholesterol problems can be traced back to familial hypercholesterolaemia. My wife who has been a health nut for as long as I have known her and her brother ( joggers, bikers, healthy eating, non smokers, or drinkers) both have high cholesterol. Their father had high cholesterol and his father both died of heart problems. Heck, I'm 30+ lbs overweight (non-smoker), since my knee surgery and I don't exercise as much, due to swelling in my knee. My total cholesterol score is 195 mg/d. and my wife hates it, hers is 255. The wife started on Lipitor but it made her weak, muscle cramps and nausea. The doc changed her to Crestor and all of those side effects are gone and the meds seem to be working. Neither my father or mother or their parents had cholesterol problems. My grandparents lived up to 93. My father who is still alive is 87 and my mother is 81.

I guess my point is that your family history can play a major role in the diseases you could encounter with your health as you age.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
    The three food groups!
    "Beans, Bacon, Whisky and Lard" - per this

Attached Images Attached Images
    Vine, Vide, Velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

but seriously...

Lipitor sucked. I moved on to Simvastatin and I have no problems

The key to lower LDL (bad) cholesterol is and will only be exercise. It also helps reduce triglycerides and reduce the overall total cholesterol levels.

Food and diet only contributes about 20% to your overall cholesterol levels. Genetics accounts for the rest.

So why keep taking it if your levels are OK? If you have a heart problem (I get atrial fibrillation on occasion if I overdo the drink or have caffeine or excess chocolate) then it is supposed to keep plaque from building up. But with the new guidelines then I guess even this comes into question.
    Vine, Vide, Velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Myles, I'll have a look. Thanks

Living Room System: Mac Mini > PS Audio PWD MKII/ Marantz TT-15 Turntable w/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze> Musical Fidelity LX2LPS> Primaluna Dialogue Premium> Klipsch Forte III

Quote Originally Posted by nile49 View Post
    Myles, I'll have a look. Thanks

The first chapter will raise the hair on the back of your neck!

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    but seriously...

Lipitor sucked. I moved on to Simvastatin and I have no problems

The key to lower LDL (bad) cholesterol is and will only be exercise. It also helps reduce triglycerides and reduce the overall total cholesterol levels.

Food and diet only contributes about 20% to your overall cholesterol levels. Genetics accounts for the rest.

So why keep taking it if your levels are OK? If you have a heart problem (I get atrial fibrillation on occasion if I overdo the drink or have caffeine or excess chocolate) then it is supposed to keep plaque from building up. But with the new guidelines then I guess even this comes into question.

I have 2 stents in one of my arteries, so I'm going to take my pills.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Cholesterol in the News