Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Torn ACL

Torn ACL

2015 has started off pretty rough for me as I managed to tear my ACL and meniscus in my right knee which required reconstructive surgery. I have been pretty much offline during this past month other than to check in and try to keep up with things here when I can. I finally was able to have my surgery about 10 days ago, and am now to the point where I'm starting to get around a bit more with crutches. I have about two more weeks until I can transition from this full leg brace to a much smaller and more lightweight carbon fiber brace, and then hopefully be able to start getting around more and driving again.

While this has not been fun to say the least, one of the bright spots for me is that since I've had to spend a lot of time on the sofa hooked up to the ice machine for keeping the swelling down in my knee, I have been able to enjoy listening to music more lately. My system still is sounding the best that it has ever been, and I truly feel fortunate that way!

The full recovery for this surgery is apparently nine months, and I have to be extremely careful during that time not to re-tear. I am curious to know if anyone else here has had to have this type of surgery, and how their rehabilitation process went for them. I also would say that for anyone playing sports to be extremely careful, especially on artificial turf, and think about wearing a knee brace as a preventative measure!
    McIntosh MC501s, XRT29s, XR27, WS350s
    ModWright LS 300 preamplifier
    ModWright PH 9.0XT phono stage
    Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
    Cambridge Audio CXNv2 with ModWright Truth Tube Modifications
    Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
    Outlaw 7000x HT Amplifier
    Denon AVR-X4700H HT Receiver (pre-amp mode)
    JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
    ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
    WyWires, LAT International, Wireworld Cables

Super Moderator

Re: Torn ACL

Sorry about your ACL problems, but at least you are on the mend. Get well soon!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Music is the greatest healer! hope it all works out

Wishing you a speedy recovery, JJ!

Allen

JJ,

Hope you feel better soon! As BZR said, music is a great healer. Take the opportunity to listen to some old friends.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Bummer on the ACL.

I did mine, but more than 20 years ago. Funny, the procedures have improved so much during that time, however the recovery time is fairly similar.

Only advise is to do your physio all the time and spend plenty of that time building up your quads around the knee.

Good luck.
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Jeff - Sorry that your 2015 has started so lousy. Wish you a speedy recovery and, enjoy the music!

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Sorry about your injury. Good luck in your rehabilitation. Remember as a wise orthopedic surgeon told me, ice is your friend.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Jeff, I hope you heal fast !

Doing your rehab,when you get to that point, is VERY important.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Jeff...sorry to hear but hope you are on the mend soon and certainly do all the physio therapy that's recommended and then some. Certainly build up all the muscles around the knee, especially the quads but hammies too, to give extra support for the knee joint. Good luck and glad that your system is making your time healing a little bit more bearable.
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Thanks everyone for the positive comments, I appreciate it along with the advice! I am looking forward to being able to start physical therapy, and definitely intend to so everything required to get back to "normal". The place I picked for the physical rehab is actually inside of the gym I'm a member of, so it will be easy to get back into working out along with the PT once I'm able to get there and get started. Probably will be another 2-3 weeks of being homebound.
    McIntosh MC501s, XRT29s, XR27, WS350s
    ModWright LS 300 preamplifier
    ModWright PH 9.0XT phono stage
    Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
    Cambridge Audio CXNv2 with ModWright Truth Tube Modifications
    Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
    Outlaw 7000x HT Amplifier
    Denon AVR-X4700H HT Receiver (pre-amp mode)
    JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
    ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
    WyWires, LAT International, Wireworld Cables

Jeff - Probably a good time to go through your entire music collection and find works you haven't listened to in a while. Also, are you caught up ripping your CDs? Organized your music files?

Patience is a virtue...

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Torn ACL