Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Burn-In CDs

Burn-In CDs

Anybody here using using them with their systems?

(For those who don't know: the theory is that the disc signals demagnetize the circuits inside your components, resulting in a more coherent and extended high frequency reproduction without the glare.)
    Disclaimer: I am an employee of TARA Labs. I am not here to promote TARA Labs products.

Audioshark

Re: Burn-In CDs

Yes. I have the Esoteric one (I would sure love a K-01x to go with it!).

It seemed to work well on my Oppo 105D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Cody@TARA View Post

(For those who don't know: the theory is that the disc signals demagnetize the circuits inside your components, resulting in a more coherent and extended high frequency reproduction without the glare.)
    How does that work? I've never heard of a cdp circuits becoming magnetized.
    Yes she my wife and she cook's too!

Should work about as well as green felt marker on the edge of the disc!

Audioshark

Welcome to Audioshark Nick.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
    Should work about as well as green felt marker on the edge of the disc!
    Actually interestingly, we ran a double blind test of five popular CD tweaks now some 15 or 20 years ago headed by Jack English. Of the five tweaks, the green pen was the only tweak identified on a consistent basis by everyone participating in the test.
    Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

What possible effect can a demagnetiser have on something that isn't magnetic to begin with. We have a plastic disc with a silver coating neither of which is magnetic, read by a laser beam which itself is afaik immune to magnetic fields.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    What possible effect can a demagnetiser have on something that isn't magnetic to begin with. We have a plastic disc with a silver coating neither of which is magnetic, read by a laser beam which itself is afaik immune to magnetic fields.

What he said!
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Audioshark

All this stuff is voodoo...but here's what is advertised for the Esoteric Burn In CD:

The Esoteric TEAC Iso-Tek System Conditioning disc was developed to reduce the time needed for system break-in or "burn-in". It is well known that audio systems require 400-500 hours to fully break-in and sound their very best.

All signals on this disc were produced according to strict mathematical criteria for system burn-in. The tracks also include a demagnetizing function for audio components, helping to 'rejuvenate' your entire system, post burn-in.

It is important to exercise the component and/or system across the full range of frequencies and amplitudes it may encounter in real life, and to this end the tones on this disc have been devised to cover the audio band from top to bottom, also ensuring that high amplitude signals are combined with high speed signals.

There is good reason for the various signals and tones on this disc bearing no relation, perceived or calculated, to music. At first sight, the problem of burning in a component and/or system may seem to call for some kind of signal that resembles music in certain specifics but somehow ‘works faster’ in exercising and/or settling down the various components within the system. But while such a signal can be generated, it doesn’t burn equipment in very fast and doesn’t address the rejuvenation function either. The required signal features high-speed activity coupled with high-amplitude excursions. All of these signals have been produced according to strict mathematical criteria so as to place the greatest stress on the important parts of a component or system - WITHOUT, it is important to note, endangering any part of it. If this disc is played at normal listening levels (volume control set as for your favorite listening material), there is NOTHING in it that will damage any normal music system. Raising the volume level higher will NOT improve the disc’s performance. If you play our disc at extremely high volume levels we will not be held responsible for damage that may occur.

The Esoteric TEAC Iso-Tek burn in/break in disc features three tracks. 0.1 (30 minutes) and 0.2 (30 minutes) are similar, with the second being optimized for systems with large loudspeakers and/or subwoofer(s). In general, use 0.1 for most stand-mounted speakers, 0.2 for floor-standing models, except perhaps the slimmest.

The differences are neither profound nor dangerous, but the benefits of 0.2, in the right situations, we have found to be audible. The last few minutes of each track are intended specifically for system demagnetizing and we DO advise that playback of each track should be performed in full.

Track 0.3 (5 minutes) has been specifically developed as a quick ‘spruce-up’ for the hi-fi, consisting of a little of the ‘hi-fi aerobics’ from the start or Tracks 0.1 and 0.2 followed by a slightly less comprehensive demagnetization regime which, however, should be quite adequate to redress any ill effects accruing over a day or two’s use or disuse.

This is a great disk for breaking in high-end components, cables, speakers....whatever is connected to your CD player. For those using a computer for Hi-Rez music files, rip to your hard drive and break-in your Fire-wire/USB cable (plus) all cables hooked to your DAC!

Features:
    • Fully burns in a complete audio or home theater component system
    • Burns in a digital recorder, data storage recording device, loudspeakers, wire and cable
    • Fully demagnetizes
    • Rejuvenation track which can be used as a daily warm up or weekly cleanse
    • Suitable for all systems
    • Includes 65 minutes of burn-in, full system demagnetization and rejuvenation tracks.

Selections:
    Track 1:
    Full system burn-in and demagnetization for electronics, interconnects and cables.

Track 2:
    Full system burn-in and conditioning with additional low level tones affecting electronics, interconnects, cables, sub-woofers and loudspeakers.

Track 3:
    Full system enhancement and rejuvenation (Post burn-in), including demagnetization tones effecting electronics, interconnects, cables, sub-woofers and loudspeakers.

Cardas has an app for this. Its called the Clarifier.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    Cardas has an app for this. Its called the Clarifier.
    Did you ever try it Jock ?
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

mauidan

Track 7 on the Ayre "Irrational, But Efficacious" System Enhancement Disc works great.

If anyone wants to purchase a real system burn in disk, I happen to have a 20 year old tape that we made at my daughters 3rd month cello practice. It will;

(1) change the way you look at your system ( or maybe your daughters playing)
    (2) bring you closer to the music ( or find her another music instrument to play)
    (3) burn in your speakers with rich harmonics at the likes you have never heard ( or require you to have your hearing checked after witnessing a different rendition of Bach Cello Suite No.1 in G (full))
    (4) require you to set through 19 beautiful minutes while you build memories ( or you can walk out back and commit hari-kari)
    (5) and best of all, it will work on any system and any human. ( PS: playing this disk in the vicinity of your dog could be harmful to his/her health)
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Then there's also the Purist Audio disc. And the older XLO.
    Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

I have the xlo somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by mauidan View Post
    Track 7 on the Ayre "Irrational, But Efficacious" System Enhancement Disc works great.
    I have that CD. I need to rip it to the music server since I rarely turn the CD player on anymore.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    I have the xlo somewhere
    I've got that one as well.

I ripped that today, and recharged the system with it. I also ripped three Marilyn Manson CDs so they get a system ready to rock. I listened to string quartets all day since I worked from home. Now for a different type of strings.
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody@TARA View Post

Still waitin to here how this works.Why won't regular signals do the same thing? How are these different?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by just dave View Post
    Still waitin to here how this works.Why won't regular signals do the same thing? How are these different?
    They will, but what I hear is a full spectrum sweep.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    They will, but what I hear is a full spectrum sweep.
    Yep, for free just download this and have it repeat for a few days.

I am having a hard time with this. What exactly is it demagnetizing? How does it accomplish this with an audio signal?

Quote Originally Posted by BeerCan View Post
    I am having a hard time with this. What exactly is it demagnetizing? How does it accomplish this with an audio signal?
    They're just electrons moving through a wire,right. And burn in doesn't have anything to do with demagnetizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    All this stuff is voodoo...but here's what is advertised for the Esoteric Burn In CD:

The Esoteric TEAC Iso-Tek System Conditioning disc was developed to reduce the time needed for system break-in or "burn-in". It is well known that audio systems require 400-500 hours to fully break-in and sound their very best.

All signals on this disc were produced according to strict mathematical criteria for system burn-in. The tracks also include a demagnetizing function for audio components, helping to 'rejuvenate' your entire system, post burn-in.

It is important to exercise the component and/or system across the full range of frequencies and amplitudes it may encounter in real life, and to this end the tones on this disc have been devised to cover the audio band from top to bottom, also ensuring that high amplitude signals are combined with high speed signals.

There is good reason for the various signals and tones on this disc bearing no relation, perceived or calculated, to music. At first sight, the problem of burning in a component and/or system may seem to call for some kind of signal that resembles music in certain specifics but somehow ‘works faster’ in exercising and/or settling down the various components within the system. But while such a signal can be generated, it doesn’t burn equipment in very fast and doesn’t address the rejuvenation function either. The required signal features high-speed activity coupled with high-amplitude excursions. All of these signals have been produced according to strict mathematical criteria so as to place the greatest stress on the important parts of a component or system - WITHOUT, it is important to note, endangering any part of it. If this disc is played at normal listening levels (volume control set as for your favorite listening material), there is NOTHING in it that will damage any normal music system. Raising the volume level higher will NOT improve the disc’s performance. If you play our disc at extremely high volume levels we will not be held responsible for damage that may occur.

The Esoteric TEAC Iso-Tek burn in/break in disc features three tracks. 0.1 (30 minutes) and 0.2 (30 minutes) are similar, with the second being optimized for systems with large loudspeakers and/or subwoofer(s). In general, use 0.1 for most stand-mounted speakers, 0.2 for floor-standing models, except perhaps the slimmest.

The differences are neither profound nor dangerous, but the benefits of 0.2, in the right situations, we have found to be audible. The last few minutes of each track are intended specifically for system demagnetizing and we DO advise that playback of each track should be performed in full.

Track 0.3 (5 minutes) has been specifically developed as a quick ‘spruce-up’ for the hi-fi, consisting of a little of the ‘hi-fi aerobics’ from the start or Tracks 0.1 and 0.2 followed by a slightly less comprehensive demagnetization regime which, however, should be quite adequate to redress any ill effects accruing over a day or two’s use or disuse.

This is a great disk for breaking in high-end components, cables, speakers....whatever is connected to your CD player. For those using a computer for Hi-Rez music files, rip to your hard drive and break-in your Fire-wire/USB cable (plus) all cables hooked to your DAC!

Features:
    • Fully burns in a complete audio or home theater component system
    • Burns in a digital recorder, data storage recording device, loudspeakers, wire and cable
    • Fully demagnetizes
    • Rejuvenation track which can be used as a daily warm up or weekly cleanse
    • Suitable for all systems
    • Includes 65 minutes of burn-in, full system demagnetization and rejuvenation tracks.

Selections:
    Track 1:
    Full system burn-in and demagnetization for electronics, interconnects and cables.

Track 2:
    Full system burn-in and conditioning with additional low level tones affecting electronics, interconnects, cables, sub-woofers and loudspeakers.

Track 3:
    Full system enhancement and rejuvenation (Post burn-in), including demagnetization tones effecting electronics, interconnects, cables, sub-woofers and loudspeakers.

I have a few of these break-in CDs and the Esoteric is by far my favorite. This one would be my choice to speed up the break-in of a new component. The difference after using it a few times was clearly audible with no negative sonic effects that a few of the CDs can cause if overused.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

+1, I agree 100%. I use it to burn in all sorts of gear and cables too.

So how do cables get magnetized? Copper is non-magnetic and so is plastic and rubber.And how do these signals demagnetize the cables?

So how do cables get magnetized? Copper is non-magnetic and so is plastic and rubber.And how do these signals demagnetize the cables?
    Not all cables use copper. I am using High Fidelity Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlisten2 View Post
    Not all cables use copper. I am using High Fidelity Cables.
    Ok silver is non-magnetic and so is aluminum.What are your cables made of?

Ok silver is non-magnetic and so is aluminum.What are your cables made of?
    To be totally honest, I don't know. Mu metal maybe? I do know that the cables use magnets.
    Here is a link: High Fidelity Cables

Also, I don't just use track 7, I put the whole disc on repeat for 24 hours.
    So I don't know if it is the white noise, demag, or whatever, but it's title is accurate, "Irrational, But Efficacious".

So de-magging cables is a bad thing,especially in your case.

Ripped this last week. Now playing the whole disk before going to bed. I think I will finish off every session with it.
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

Banned

I have previously used the Isotek Full System Enhancer cd which i've found works well at accelerating burn in time. And i'm sure the refresher track (track 3) helps smooth the sound when used after a cold start up. Incidentally I read there is a Mk2 version out now, though I didn't see it on the website

I recently downloaded the free Tara Labs Cascade burn in cd however which i've been told is as good as any out there. I haven't tried it out, but plan on using that cd to help burn in all my new gear once the Vitus arrives. I'd be interested to get feedback from anyone who has used it. Did it work well? And roughly by what percentage did it cut normal run in time?

So de-magging cables is a bad thing,especially in your case.
    Yeah, whatever.

mauidan

Forgot to mention I've got an extra new unplayed copy of the Ayre "Irrational, But Efficacious" System Enhancement Disc.

If anyone is interested PM me, it's yours for $10. shipped (USA).

Forgot to mention I've got an extra new unplayed copy of the Ayre "Irrational, But Efficacious" System Enhancement Disc.

If anyone is interested PM me, it's yours for $10. shipped (USA).
    Hello, I am interested, I am from Argentina and I do not have a compact, does it work for me? I just need this CD (or the copied songs) to improve my new speakers. Can you copy the tracks and send them by email? Thanks.

Forero friends, any of you if you can send me the tracks by email, I would appreciate it. I can only pay by credit card. Thanks

It might be easier to find the CD. This is an old thread, and might not be as useful now. I think I had that CD but I don’t remember it doing anything useful.
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    It might be easier to find the CD. This is an old thread, and might not be as useful now. I think I had that CD but I don’t remember it doing anything useful.
    Thank you

Someone just gave me a copy of the IsoTek original enhancement disk which is halfway thru playing now. I am also downloading the Tara Labs disk right now. It will be interesting to see if I can hear any real changes.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

So far after playing a few familiar tracks, I do think the bass has gotten a little deeper and more controlled. Could just be the low pressure from the end of Ian still here. I will keep spinning familiar disks to see what I think. Also about to burn the Tara tracks to disk for another run thru.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

I used to do special CD's and such. Now I just play the TV through ti during the day and music at night while asleep.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Burn-In CDs