Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Boardwalk Empire – A real life connection

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    One door closes while another one opens.

We decided to call the old Lawyer on Friday knowing he had seen the newspaper clipping sent to the Antique Dealer. The guy was supposed to give the Lawyer his own copy and told us he mailed it to him. We found out during the call that he was only shown the picture and did not get the copy intended for him. We sent one on but the bad news is that about 4-5 months ago, just when we got all these pictures, he lost his memory...like completely. He is retiring now because of it. He sort of remembered the name Dominic Pinto, but who knows. Had we only gotten the pictures a little earlier, he may have been the last person able to tell us stories.

Last night, I got all the pics resized and watermarked and along with a description of each, I published it all out to a single PDF using my companies software. We emailed the set to Vicki Gold Levi to see what she can add and verify as well as hook us up with whoever recently contacted her about a 500 Club project of some sort.

We also received an email from Mariska's assistant Saturday morning. Not quite what we wanted to hear, but what we expected. She passed along that she would be of no help identifying anything about the pics because A- it was all before she was even born, and B- she has thousands of cataloged pics of her parents stored away safely somewhere. He said they just finished shooting for the next season and she is now off with family enjoying herself, but did inscribe and send another photograph to us. We are waiting to see that in the mail and hope she wrote a little more than God Bless and says something about the pictures we sent her. We shall see in a day or so.
    Well, I'd say Mariska fulfilled all requirements with what she sent to you. Another pic of her (glam shot) not just autographed and a two word note, but autographed and inscribed thanking you and your wife. Then remember the phone call on top of that! She doesn't sit there calling all the SVU viewers everyday! In my opinion, she went the extra mile when you add it all up even though she could shed no further light and such. She was very appreciative of what you gave her.

Now you have some further light from others on the whole thing.
    I'd say you did darn good!

We got a reply letter from the Lawyer. It may be one of the saddest letters I have read. He said he learned to smile more when he saw the picture, but with his memory loss, he feels his life is over. His wife died 7 years ago and he is just lost.

He remembers the name and face, but that is all. He gave us another tidbit of info tho. In the newspaper pic we have along with the Mayor and AC Greeter, he told us that his wife was the Mayor's daughter. Small world.

So that left us with one more name to look up. The AC Greeter Brigitte Graupner, who we found today on Facebook. My wife reached out to her and we are waiting for a reply.

Ha, I also hit another brick wall with the photo of Dean and Frank. Turns out I found and contacted the wrong Photographer, Jack Bradley. Last night I finished reading the first book I bought and in the acknowledgements, the author thanked the real Jack Bradley who passed away in 2001.

Maybe we can get some info from the Miss AC Greeter while we wait for more back from Vicki Gold.

Cheers and have a great weekend!
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Just when things look like they hit a dead end, Social Media rears it's ugly head for a lucky turn of events.

Firstly, we touched base with Vicki Gold Levi again and had a nice conversation about AC and events. She was able to provide us with a little detail but after too many questions she could not answer, she suggested we get in contact with Paula Jane D'Amato, Skinny's daughter. She gave us her last known email addy. Due to other priorities, we have yet to take the time to craft a good email to her......BUT...another twist arises from the ashes.

Last Friday while poking around for other ways to get in touch with the woman from the newspaper clipping, I stumbled on to a Facebook Group called "Atlantic City Memory Lane 50's to 70's". I poked around a bit and noticed lots of Old Timers talking about their childhood memories. We joined it and crafted a first post asking to get in touch with Briggitte Groupner, a group member and the woman in the news photo, and if anyone remembered my wife's Uncle.

The very first response was from a woman who used to live next door to Skinny, and always had her hair done by Uncle Don's wife, Arlene. She also said that Paulajane stayed in touch with Arlene and was going to call her and pass our contact info along. The next response was from the son of the Mayor of AC who was in the same photo.

So with a little patience, we hope to strike up a dialog with Skinny's daughter, who obviously has some info we are searching for as to the whereabouts and details about Aunt Arlene as well as Uncle Don and his shops. We are also waiting to speak to the first responder to the post who can also shed some light on our story.

I am almost done reading the second book I bought, The Last Good Time and have learned quite a lot about the history and coolness of Atlantic City NJ. I am gearing up to marathon watch Boardwalk Empire in the near future since it is really all inter-related to the story we are trying to tell. I just watched an interview with Vicki Gold about the production and closeness to reality of the series, as she was one of the chief consultants to get the period details correct. It is interesting how she points out that the show includes specific places that were not actually there in the given year, but helped with the overall story, which is Based On, not all total facts, but close.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Brian, thanks for the update. Some things are worth waiting for.

Last night wile reading some more of The Last Good Time, there was a page or so of comments about how Skinny and other mob related folks helped sway the large Italian vote for Kennedy. That interview was with the husband of the woman who answered my wife's Facebook post.

We also crafted a short email and sent it off to Paulajane D'amato and it did not come back as a bad addy so we are hoping she still looks at that email and responds. If she also gets that call from above noted woman, all the better chances for responses.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Well, no luck with Paulajane yet but the woman from the 1967 newspaper clipping just accepted my wife's facebook friend request last night. She finally saw the original message my wife sent and replied with email addy and a willingness to talk. We sent a copy of the newspaper photo with some questions this morning.

Paulajane did not respond to 2 emails sent so we are unsure if we have a good addy or it went to spam, or she is just too tired of people asking her questions about it all. I have the phone number of her cousin's Law Firm and will go that route if needed.

Another person befriended from the Atlantic City group is the son of the Mayor in the same pic. We are also reaching out to him to view a few pics and help/confirm who they are. The first person to say they remembered Uncle Don and Arleen fell off the radar and has not responded to several messages. She was the one who said she would contact Paulajane because she kept in touch with Arleen. Not sure what happened there but I guess some people just don't want to be bothered helping others and talk a big story but don't follow through.

So even tho we are not getting all the answers we had hoped for, we are making slow steady progress and now finding people who at least remember the people and shops and the times to speak with. All in all, we have come a pretty long way on this journey in 7 months and still hoping to learn much more as we slowly connect with the people who know.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

What a tough thing to research. We keep hitting walls.

We finally made contact with Briggitte Graupner, who was Miss Atlantic City Greeter in 1967. She is in the newspaper picture from the opening of Uncle Don's Beauty School. It turns out that the reason she is even in the picture is because Uncle Don awarded a full scholarship to the winner of the AC Greeter contest and Briggitte won. But, she declined the prize and never took the course or had any further contact with Uncle Don or Aunt Arleen, so that is a dead end.

The Lawyer in the photo lost his memory and the Mayor in the picture died years ago. We did make contact and conversed a bit with the Mayors son, who is also a member of the Facebook Group we found.

We also found who we think is Aunt Arleen on Facebook and befriended her, but she will not respond to any messages or questions sent, not even to say she is not who we are looking for. That makes us think it may be her but she just doesn't want to open a 50 y/o can of worms. The marriage only lasted 5 years.

The other woman from the group who said she could put us in contact with Paula Jane D'Amato also fell off the radar and stopped responding.

Why is it so hard for people to be a little open and helpful when there is nothing for them to gain besides just being nice to someone? Boggles the mind.

We are not giving up but it seems to get harder with each new pc of the puzzle, not easier.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

[COLOR=white !important][IMG]chrome://pbk/content/blackbar_original_2_loadconfig_error.png[/IMG][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=white !important][IMG]chrome://pbk/content/blackbar_original_2_loadconfig.png[/IMG][/COLOR]

Long time with no update. It's been a pretty busy summer so we did not pursue this much.

But, this morning I hit on a lead we have been looking for. On the Facebook page for the Atlantic City Group, someone posted a pic of the old 500 Club and all the responses were from those with memories of Skinny and the club. Then there was a reply from a user with very little profile, with pics of dogs and the user account was all the names of her dogs.

It was Paula Jane, Skinny's daughter that we have been trying to make contact with as she thanked everyone in the trail, talked about growing up above the club in their apartment, and finished with Paula Jane D'Amato.

I had my wife Friend Request her with a message and she did accept the request. Now we are waiting for a response to the message and to start a dialog if she is willing.

The woman we found on facebook believed to be the ex-wife of Uncle Don still won't respond to messages, but as we put details together, we are more certain she is Aunt Arlene.

I also found another member of same AC group named Louis Pinto and he looks just like Uncle Don so we first thought maybe it was the lost son we were looking for, but then found his father's name to also be Louis. My wife friended him and they spoke. We believe the guy's father was a cousin of my wife's dad and uncle. He is looking into it on his end and we are waiting for that reply.

So we seem to be making a little progress, but only baby steps. If we can get Paula Jane to talk to us, most of our questions might be answered.

By the time we find out all the info, we may miss the window of opportunity on the value of many of the autographed pics we have aside from the Frank and Dean.

Cheers!
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Wow, as you can see by my last entry here, things looked to be just one dead end after another. It has been since 10/27/15 that we made contact via Facebook with Paula Jane and thought we would have moved forward in this quest, but that was the last we heard from her after she accepted FB Friend request and read my wife's letter.

That was until this morning. Out of nowhere, Paula Jane messaged my wife thru FB and they chatted for some time. PJ is in London on vacation and said when she gets back she would look at our pictures and tell us what she can.

I guess the fact that we did not hound her and keep asking, she decided to give us some time. Unfortunately for her, she is the person with the most info about a lot of things that went down in Atlantic City and the 500 Club, her father and friends so she is always being sought after by everyone who has a question or a story.

Hopefully more to come and the journey is not quite over.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

The Baby Steps continue....

After we got home from vacation last Saturday, my wife contacted Paulajane via Facebook as requested earlier when she was on vacation herself. Carolyn wrote a short note outlining who we have already talked to and offered to take her to lunch if we could meet while she is in New Jersey during August, she lives in Florida now.

This morning there was a reply with a cell number and request to call her, which we will do tonight. Paulajane is the one and only authority left to be able to quantify what we have and help us identify the unknowns in the portfolio. If she does give us a meeting, we will be able to piece most of this story together. We only can hope that she may have knowledge of the son Uncle Dom had, but that one is the longest of long shots.

More to come.....
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

So the long patient wait is going to pay off. After a bit of phone tag, my wife got to talk to Paulajane for a while this morning. She remembers Uncle Dom and his Beauty Shops and is very interested to see the photos we have of the stars and her father. It turns out that she is in Margate NJ until the end of September and she has invited us to come to her house to spend a few hours looking at the portfolio and filling us in on the missing info.

So now we just need to plan a day or weekend trip to see her over the next month or so.

Uncle Dom is smiling
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Super Moderator

Very cool Brian.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Just a short update-

This morning my wife and PaulaJane finalized our plans. We will be driving to Atlantic City on 8/26 to meet with her at her house. When my wife asked about taking her to lunch, she said why don't we just have lunch with her at her house while we look at the pictures.

I should have lots of info by the end of the month to post back.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Super Moderator

Sounds like it should be a fun trip. Have fun!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Maybe the final chapter here…….
    So after the 2.5 hour drive, we arrived at Paulajane’s summer home in Margate NJ, 2nd house from the beach. As we got aquainted and gave the background of our journey, she cooked up some of the best Grilled Turkey, Ham, and Cheese sandwiches.

Before I go on, I want to mention a few freaky coincidences that were happening in real time. As you may recall, we have 5 autographed pictures of Jane Mansfield, Mariska Hargitay’s mother. As we were filling in the background info and spoke of Jane, Paulajane interrupted us and pointed to her TV behind us which was currently airing an episode of Law & Order SVU starring Mariska. She said it was her favorite show. Then her cell phone rang and the ring tone is that little noise they make at the end of the SVU jingle. To top that all off, Paulajane’s home was on Mansfield Ave.

We then proceeded to give the background of my wife’s late uncle and his wife of 5 years, who turned out was good friends with Paulajane and actually went to live with her and her family after the divorce from my wife’s uncle. We got a little more info but nowhere near what we had hoped for.

Next we started flipping thru the pictures and unfortunately, Paulajane could not identify all the people we had no names for. She was able to confirm that the one we thought was Frank Sinatra Jr, was not him and that another unknown was actually Frank Sinatra’s father Martin Sinatra. She was thrilled to see the few pics of the wedding where her father was the best man and also told us the Maid of Honor was her mother and that she was also present at the wedding. Her mother was facing away in the pic but due to the scar on her arm from an old vaccination, she knew it was her mother Bettyjane.

Next we pulled out the 2 books we had about Atlantic City and the 500 Club, one was Chance of a Lifetime, and the other was The Last Good Time. One was written by a cousin, while the other was written by another author but under the guidance and information of Paulajane. As she flipped thru the books looking at all the old pictures, she asked why we had the book. Not following, we said for the history and pictures. She then pointed out the reviews on the back and they were all from the UK. She told us that our copy was a UK version which was altered just a bit to ‘English it up’ as she said. She then flipped open the book to the Acknowledgment section to point out it was actually her book. We asked her to sign it for us and she wrote a little note there in the book for us.

She spent over 2 hours with us and before we left, we requested a few pictures with us. As I setup my camera and tripod in the kitchen, she said ‘Wait, come into the other room, I have a better spot’. In the main entrance way to her home, there is a huge poster of 500 Club items and pics of her father, Dean, Frank, and Sammy. She also got her US Hardback copy of her book to hold in the pics.

Unfortunately, she could not shed any light on anything related to Uncle Don’s son as it was before her time. Also just about anyone who may have that kind of info has died, or like the Lawyer, lost their memories of it. It was still fantastic to have this opportunity to meet with Paulajane and continue the long history and friendships between my wife’s family and the D'Amato Family. We can now add the pics of Paulajane and her autograph to our collection.
    Sadly, as I opened this installment, this chapter of our journey appears to be over. I now plan to pursue finding out the values of the autographs but at this time, we don’t plan on selling them…..unless the value is significant.

Thanks for following along this journey with me as telling all of you the story has allowed me to keep track of all the details and progression of our search and findings. If anything else does come to light, I will add it here for those who have stayed interested in this story.

-----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Out of the blue, we got a phone message when we got in tonight from Vicki Gold Levy. She had told us about a film project that she was contacted about a year ago when we last spoke. The message was for my wife to get back to her to OK that the film guy can contact her personally. We plan to call her back Thursday night and see what comes of it. So the story may not be over quite yet.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

We haven't made contact, but the person we are being introduced to is Scott Rosenfelt, a pretty well known Hollywood Producer. (Home Alone, Teen Wolf, Mystic Pizza)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0742586/
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

For anyone still following along, the journey is not over yet.

Over the weekend, we made email contact with the Producer, Scott Rosenfelt. We agreed on a time for an initial greet and phone interview. Hopefully the first of many. He is calling us at 330 this afternoon.

We also finally posted a few pics of Uncle Dom on the Atlantic City Facebook Group again looking for anyone that knew him. Within 5 minutes we had a reply from someone who worked for him. We got several more responses from those who knew him, worked for him, or had their hair or wigs done by him. On Sunday afternoon, another guy from the group chimes in with a little info, but then called us thru FB and we spoke directly. It turns out Uncle Don was a Bookie, and most likely his main tie to Skinny, who ran all the gambling and AC in general at the time. The guy who called us who is our age, said hid father was an AC Motorcycle Cop and was regularly asked to stay at Uncle Don's apartment in Brighton Towers to make sure nobody broke in and stole the cash stored there. He told us that he would stay for days at a time with his father watching the place. Skinny had the AC Police in his pocket and yearly gave a big bash at the 500 for Cops and their families only. He told us there was a picture hanging on the wall, but behind the painting was a hole in the wall stuffed with as he put it "Mad Cash".

So we found out some great interesting facts first hand to add to the story and hope to get more as people on the FB group see the posted photos.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Thanks for all the updates Brian!! Keep them coming!!
    Paul

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
    Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
    Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
    Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
    Music Server: Aurender N100H
    Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
    SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
    Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
    AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.

Yesterday was pretty exciting for several reasons.

First, we got the phone call from the Producer at 330 as expected. He told us his schedule had changed and he did not have enough time for everything. We made another appointment for Wednesday at 315 before he walked us thru the setting and plot of the movie. We spoke for about 20 minutes and will resume and get into more detail on Wednesday.

Shortly after that, we got a phone call from the guy we had met on FB the night before. He had a few more related stories to tell us, plus he talked to his Aunt who worked for Uncle Don for many years to get her approval to talk to her. She was excited to hear who we were and was more than happy to talk if we wanted to call her.

We did call her around 8pm last night. She was sharp as a tack for her age and provided us with many missing pcs of the puzzle. Also we learned more as to just how generous and well liked Uncle Don really was. She was able to give us the last name of the woman we have a saved Love letter from, but that she died long ago. She also was of the impression that if Uncle Don did have a child, that it would have been with her. So now we have the last name of the mother, as well as a married name in case of adoption to begin yet another search. She also all but confirmed that the 5 pictures of Jane Mansfield getting a wig worked on, is the same wig and most likely the same day that Jayne Mansfield put her hand and foot prints into the Walk of Fame outside the 500 Club. She provided more names of other employees, one of which I found right away on FB so we sent her a message and hoping for a reply. This woman also stayed at Uncle Dons apartment when he was away with her father and family as described previously, only she seemed to be unaware as to why and that Don was a hiding cash in the walls. She also now lives in Brighton Towers, where Uncle Don lived at times as well as where he had his Beauty Academy on the Ground floor. My wife's Grandmother also lived there several floors up and there was a big fire where one woman died because she used the elevator. Uncle Don went up the smoke filled stairs, found his mother and carried her out of the building to safety.

We got more minor details and another invite to AC to share what we have. We also got approval to use their family name and provide the stories they both shared with us to the Producer when we speak again.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Today just may be one of the most exciting days so far on this journey. The Producer, Scott Rosenfelt, called as arranged at 3:15 this afternoon. After the formalities, my wife told the details as pertaining to the topic, the friendship and other relevant facts to support the theme of the movie. It is not a Gangster Movie, or all about the Celebrities because that has already been done. This movie is about the little people and Skinny's life from a teen running a Gambling Room to how he helped push Legalized Gambling thru the paces in order for Atlantic City and Resorts to be first. It's a more personal movie and Scott wanted to include Skinny's friends and the more normal things that went on besides what has already been done. The uniqueness of Atlantic City in that era, and the 500 Club, is that Skinny provided an atmosphere, the back room, where Mobsters, Politicians, Sports Greats, Cops, and regular people could all be in the same room.

Now the good news, it is not yet chiseled in stone, but from the conversation and what is already written into the script, the producer came up with several ideas in order to fit Uncle Dominic into the movie. It sounds like it will happen by the way it all ended. And that was Scott asking us to meet with him. Turns out he lives in both Margate, next to AC, and Los Angeles. His children go to school here to be more normal. We were just planning a trip in May to meet the woman we found the other night who worked for Uncle Dom for many years. So we have arranged to meet him when we go down to AC to meet Dom's employee Diane.

So even if it's a very short part, my wife's Uncle Dominic Pinto will be depicted in the movie.

We are on such a high right now it's hard to describe. We never dreamed our journey would lead to a part in a Hollywood Produced movie.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Last night we connected with another woman who worked for Uncle Don right out of High School. She told us a few more stories and details. One of them was that she got a brand new car when she graduated HS, and was already working for Don. He didn't drive so he had this woman teach him and then he went out and bought a nice car too.

We made arrangements for her to meet us and re-unite with her former co-worker to see our pics and share more stories when we go to Atlantic City next month.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Just a teaser to bring this back to the top. Tomorrow we are heading to Atlantic City again. We plan to meet and have lunch with an original employee of Uncle Don. On Monday morning after we check out, we head to the AC Library to meet with the Director and Archivist. They will be taping my wif's memories of Atlantic City and her Uncle. When that is over, we will be joined by the Producer Scott Rosenfelt to further discuss the film and the part he has planned for Uncle Don.

Major update to come next week.

Cheers and thanks for following along whoever is still reading this!
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Update from trip to Atlantic City May 13-14 2018

On Saturday when we tried to make final arrangements to take Diane, a former employee of Uncle Don out for lunch, she said she was not up to it. The other gal Ida, decided to duck all our calls and emails after the first conversation where she appeared to be elated and offered to help. That meant we did not have to rush leaving Sunday morning. But we decided to stop at Brighton Towers where Diane Amoroso lived, to drop off a bag of goodies, some flowers, and copies of a few pictures she hopefully can identify. We will call her in a week to give her time. Then we headed to The Back Bay Ale House and had an awesome burger& fries with some local beers. We ended up taking half back to our hotel and did not need dinner.

After sitting on our balcony sipping a few beers and a whiskey, we decided to walk next door to the Tropicana and people watch about 9pm. If you want to see everything, Walmart and Casinos is your place. There was a real good band playing in the Quarter. After strolling the floor for a while watching the Zombies, we ducked into Cuba Libre Restaurant and Rum Bar. Never been a Rum drinker and no idea what to order. The bar tender was good and we ended up with a few Mojitos, a Rum Punch and some awesome humus and chips appetizer somewhere around 10. Since our first appointment at the Atlantic City Library was for 930, and we had to have breakfast and checkout by 9 we headed back. We walked back to the Trop to eat in the Tequila bar before checkout. Great Omelets.

At the Library we were first met by the former Archivist Heather Perez, who we met with 2 years ago, and the current Archivist Jacqueline Siver-Morillo. They took us upstairs to what looked to be the Board Room next to the Library Director Robert Rynkiewicz's office, who we were then introduced to. After some pleasantries, Robert left us to Carolyn's taped memories of her childhood and her Uncle Don, in Atlantic City NJ. Carolyn spent many hours this past week preparing her memories, timelines, places and people. In the end, she mostly read what she had typed which was a good 20 minutes of great memories. One being how her Uncle saved her Grandmothers life from the fire that burned at Brighton Towers when they both lived there, had us stopping to clear our thought so to say. Unfortunately, 3 people did die in that fire because they took the elevator and it failed. Don lived on the 5th floor and the fire was between his and the 11th floor where his mother lived.

After the taping we went into the Heston Room downstairs to look thru some archives while we waited for our second meeting. At 11:30, Scott Rosenfelt arrived as planned. The Director gave us the conference room for this meeting too and we introduced everyone. We all looked at the pictures and talked to the stories. Then Scott gave us a rundown of the story line for the movie. We also talked about the rich history of Atlantic City and other common acquaintances we have met and talked to along the journey. One is Paula Jane Diamato, Skinny's daughter who we met with last year. Scott is also in contact with Paula Jane's brother and we will soon be introduced and hopefully find out a few things from his memories. Guys remember things the girls do not, or didn't even know. We also discussed more in detail how Scott intends to work Uncle Don into the movie and we gave him pointers on dress and style for the character who plays the part.

That meeting lasted an hour and a half and then we again sat down with Library Director Robert Rynkiewicz and talked about the city, the funds and loss of funds and employee loss due to how they re-characterized where the Casino money goes, and it isn't the Library. He also told us of the in-process plans to rebuild part of the Museum that was on the Boardwalk but wiped out by Sandy. It won't be as big as it was again due to funds, but he intends to have one of the display cases represent Entertainment History of Atlantic City. He asked if we would share a few of the pictures for that display. We are already planning to supply copies of all the pictures to them along with all the details that they will be cataloging on-line in the near future.

This day was all set in motion by an earlier contact, Vicki Gold Levi. She put Scott Rosenfelt in touch with us. Then she coordinated our whole day by setting everything up thru the Library Director. He had the former Archivist join us and also had the current Archivist come in to do the taping and research on her day off. We were very fortunate and grateful how all this developed.

Attached Images Attached Images
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

The Atlantic City Library is involved in the new project for the new Atlantic City Museum in the Jim Whelan Boardwalk Hall lobby.
    The Director of the Library who we met with on our last trip to meet Scot Rosenfelt has agreed to uses some of my wife's photos for one of the exhibits in the Hall Lobby. They will have several glass cases with themed exhibits in each. My wife's pictures will be in a case that showcases the Entertainment History of Atlantic City.

There has been an ongoing Fund Raiser for the Library Foundation and this year for her birthday, Vicki Gold Levi has setup a Facebook Fund Page where she will match donations.
    https://www.facebook.com/donate/2146...6857961622472/

You can also donate directly to the Foundation
    http://www.aclf.us/donate

If anyone would like to donate, that would be awesome. And once the project is complete, I hope if any of you visit Atlantic City, you will stop by and see the exhibit.

Here is a teaser

-----------------
    Brian

Main System -

So another door has opened for us. We procrastinated for some time, but just recently contacted Paul D'Amato, Skinny's Nephew and son of his brother Willy. He is a Lawyer just outside of AC. We are going to spend a week at the Marriott Seaview Villas next week and have an appointment scheduled to meet Paul next Monday. Since he is a guy, and we have mostly met and spoke to women, he is sure to remember a few things more or differently.

In the short call my wife had with Paul, he told her a nice story about her uncle we did not know. When he was in college, he had an opportunity to go to Rome for his studies but could not afford it. His dad, Willy went to Skinny and asked for the money but he didn't have it at the time either. Skinny then went to Uncle Don to ask for the money and he was able to provide the money for Paul to go to Rome.

We are hoping he can help us identify some of the unknowns in the pics we have plus tell us more great stories.

I will update this blog after our meeting next Monday.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

So our meeting with Paul D'Amato went very well. After he talked with my wife on the phone, he spent hours going thru old photos at home. Paul knew Uncle Don personally and filled in more blanks. He remembered vividly that the child Don had was a girl and remembered seeing him holding her awkwardly. He also remembered Aunt Arlene as well as my wife's father.

When we arrived, he gave us a copy of his mother's book about Nucky, Skinny, and Atlantic City called Chance of a Lifetime. We had him sign it with a small paragraph. We did already have a copy of the book but Paul insisted we take another copy from him. Without us even asking, Paul offered to use his investigation team to try and track down Aunt Arlene and Uncle Don's child and the mother. He said to give them a week and he will get back to us.

He told us lots of good stories and like I suspected, being a guy, he saw things and heard things that all the women we already spoke to were not privy to. Paul worked in the 500 Club from the time he was in the 8th grade in the kitchen, til he had graduated college. When he was old enough, he became a bar tender at the 500 and along with all the other mobsters, he became friendly with Nicky Scarfo. When he was practicing law, he went to Nicky and asked when he would get some work from him or his boys to defend them. A few days later Nicky came back and said absolutely No. Nicky had gone to Skinny for permission which was denied as Skinny did not want Paul mixed up inn defending the mob because when things went south, the lawyers went south with it all.

Paul spent about an hour and a half out of his busy schedule to talk with us. We are now anxiously awaiting the outcome of his investigation. I am pretty sure they know where to look and how to find info us regular Googlers just can't easily find.

We are hoping to find a long lost cousin on my wife's side so now we wait for the results. This is about the last real lead we have to work with, but Paul is also tracking down a few old timers that should also shed some info on some things. He also took copies of a few pics to try and figure out who they are.

Paul was a real class act and seemed almost as happy to walk down memory lane with us as we were in talking to him.

Hopefully a happy ending is coming for this blog.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Your posting is a book in itself, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    Your posting is a book in itself, thanks for sharing!
    I had not thought of that, but thanks for reading along.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Well unfortunately the databases that the private investigators had only went back to 1975 so we found out nothing more.

But, we did just get an email from Vicky Gold Levy asking for one of our original pics of Uncle Don with Jayne Mansfield to go into the new Atlantic City Museum on the Boardwalk. It won't make it into the display case for the 500 Club, so it will be in a showcase of Atlantic City Working Class.

-----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Super Moderator

Very cool Brian. Those are some great photos.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Latest Update-

The Atlantic City Experience Exhibit at the Boardwalk Hall is almost ready to open. Hopefully within the next few months. Since the original AC Museum was wiped out in one of the storms a few years ago, they were unable to fund a separate location so decided to create a permanent exhibit inside of the Boardwalk Hall. There will be several showcase including one for the 500 Club and one for the Working Class.

We sent our original out to be copied and sized for the exhibit, and just last week returned the consent form for use.

In a few short months, Uncle Don will be on display doing Jane Mansfield's Hair/Wig for the world to see. (the pic is on the last page at the bottom)

Once the Hall is fully open, we will plan a trip to see it. We also plan to take some pics of the display and specifically out photo, and send it to Mariska to let her know what we have done with the pics.

I guess my next update will be when the Hall is fully open and the exhibit is complete. Then we wait for Scott to complete the writing of his movie about the 500 Club and hopefully still including a character portraying Uncle Don.

Cheers
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Wow Brian. Maybe you can have those pics preserved and other stuff to the museum? Have the museum buy those antiques.

Just got the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony VIP invite. It is July 23rd, my wife's birthday.

What a great present for her.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

The Atlantic City Experience

Just opened yesterday is a $10.4 million dollar project at Atlantic City Boardwalk Hall. As the original museum was wiped out from Sandy, the Library has been storing and archiving what survived. This display should remain for many years and a showcase will get refreshed each year. That means our pic will not be here forever, but if they do get funding for a real B&M location, they will display everything they have.

The event started with a gathering and greeting of many involved as well as other dignitaries and special VIPs. The speeches started with the Mayor and ended with Vicki Gold Levi, who is the force behind this whole exhibit. We met a former Miss America as well as 2 other past contestants. We met other people in some of the pics, or their surviving family. After they cut the ribbon for all to view, they had a nice lunch upstairs for the VIP crowd. It was a nice lunch and the world's largest Pipe Organ was being played the whole time. Magnificent!

This was a terrific way to spend my wife's Birthday.

Right next to the display case with our pic of Uncle Don working on Jayne Mansfield is a interactive kiosk with tons of pics. One of the pics is of Jayne putting her feet in the cement in the Walk of Fame at the 500 Club the night that our pic was taken.

Anyone that will spend any time in AC should make this a stop to see.

The News article and pics are here. My wife and I are in several, but sadly from the back in most. (right in the middle of the 1st pic in the article)
    https://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/...anchor_item_35

-----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Just when we had given up and it's been a year since my last entry. We just happen to be in AC on vacation this week and I get a strange message on AudioKarma asking me if I was the same person who wrote this blog. After creating an email account for contact, we think we just made contact with my wife's lost cousin's wife and have an email exchange going. The details are scary close. More later on
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Super Moderator

Congratulations, fingers crossed everything works out.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Audioshark

Boardwalk Empire – A real life connection

Brian, fingers crossed! Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Jackpot! We were asked to keep it private so I will not post any details, but we found my wife's long lost cousin, or rather he found me after reading this blog from a google search he did.

I want to thank Mike for allowing me to post all this here but it really was the last place I would have thought would help make the connection. It was more just to keep track of the journey.

We are 2 states away but close enough when the time is right.

We also are staying in AC this week in one of the neighborhoods Uncle Don lived in so that really makes all this surreal.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

So the Jackpot did not cash in as expected.

Now that Don's son has found us things have gone downhill fast. He seems to have bad influence from his second wife telling him that they have their own family so have no time or need to get to know my wife. Too bad he is acting selfish because he had lots to gain by just being interested. All he seems to want is all of our information about his father over the internet without talking or meeting then say goodbye. I will not let my wife be hurt and used like that. When you look for a long lost family member, you never know if that person will be warm or cold hearted. She has obviously gotten her answer about to Dominic's son. Such a loss for them both, but two people have to want to cooperate to get to know each other.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team