Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Esoteric K-01X & K-03X

I’m using Esoteric X-03SE almost 5years and I love this CDP very much, currently many people are talking theirlatest X series (K-01X & K-03X), a lot of people said Esoteric improve the weakness on their CD Player in X series, which is not only high analytic but also increase emotion and musical, I wonder how you compare with K-03X andX-03SE?

If you give 100 score to K-01X then how many score you will give K-01X and K-03SE?

Audioshark

Re: Esoteric K-01X & K-03X

Welcome MM622 to Audioshark.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Is the "internal" DAC of the K-01x good enough to be used as an External DAC for music servers like Aurender ?

Quote Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
    Is the "internal" DAC of the K-01x good enough to be used as an External DAC for music servers like Aurender ?
    Without a doubt!
    Buddy

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
    Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
    Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
    MSB Reference DAC
    Innuos Statement w/Next. Gen. PS
    B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
    Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
    Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
    VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
    Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
    Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
    Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
    Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
    Shunyata Cables
    Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Ethernet Switch UEF, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments

That's primarily how I used the K03 when I had it. I'm sure the K01x will surpass it in the mode easily!

Allen

Absolutely, the K-01 and K01X offer reference level CD, SACD and DAC performance in a single unit.

Here's the K-01 review:
    http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...cdsacd-player/

Here's the K-01X review:
    http://www.dagogo.com/esoteric-k-01x...-player-review

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Deleted.

bmichels.......Absolutely. I use my Esoteric K03 DAC with my Olive 04HD music server. Fabulous results.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Quote Originally Posted by j2020 View Post
    The N-05 betters the K-01 with settings at 8x upsampling and SLDY1 filter for the coaxial input which in turn beats the usb input, to my ears and in my system.
    Have you tried the network input?

Haven't tried that yet as my router is half a mile away.
    But I am in a very happy place now with the usb input.
    It is interesting that a simple set-up with a PC music server can trounce the K-01 with its venerable VRDS Neo transport.
    So, it looks like the DAC section of the N-05 seems to play a more important role in the overall sound.

Have you heard the N-05 compared to other dac's?
    I am still trying to work out how to play music files from a flashdrive ported to its rear panel usb A-port.

I am still trying to work out how to play music files from a flashdrive ported to its rear panel usb A-port.
    Playing music files from USB flash drive using N-05 requires a network connection and the use of the iPad app(s).

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    It requires a network connection and the use of an iPad app.
    wklie,

Thanks a mill for that.
    I was actually afraid of that as I will now have to find a way to bring my router closer to the rig or get that looong ethernet cable plus iPad.
    I guess that can wait and shall rationalise the delay by saying that I am in heaven now with music controlled by the JRiver remote on my android phone.
    And I can't be sure that the files from the flashdrive will sound better than from the PC now. Yeah!

When you decide to try the N-05 network input or USB flash drive, if network cable cannot be used, consider trying WiFi to Ethernet adapter, WiFi router that supports client mode, or powerline network adapter (less preferred).

When you decide to try the N-05 network input or USB flash drive, if network cable cannot be used, consider trying WiFi to Ethernet adapter, WiFi router that supports client mode, or powerline network adapter (less preferred).
    I guess I can try all that but I'd rather not unless I am pretty sure the network input will sound better than the coax.
    Can wait for someone else to try both and chime in.

I just traded in my K-01 for the N-05 network player for the sheer convenience of playing all my music(redbook/hires pcm/dsd) from the PC using JRIver.
    I guess you can use JRiver to upsample any PCM to DSD64 and send it as DoP to the N-05 coaxial input.

I guess you can use JRiver to upsample any PCM to DSD64 and send it as DoP to the N-05 coaxial input.
    Yes. Either that or route pcm to the N-05 which can then upconvert to dsd. More experiments ahead for comparison.....

Originally Posted by wklie

With Esoteric's no-frills bare-bones HRA player, I get native dsd to the N-05. With the HRA player, redbook/hires pcm/dsd sound fabulous, better than with JRIver.

Looks like Esoteric has improved usb implementation by leaps and bounds compared to the old K-01 and the Meridian 808v6.

Very tempted by the Esoteric K-01 (or 03), but....

Initially I intended to buy a NAGRA HD DAC + a lesser advanced CD-player since 80% of my listening will be High-Res music files, 19% Red-Book CDs ans 1%..SACDs, but... reading from the various reports from K-01x users, it seems that I could instead go for this 1 box Esoteric solution (CD + DAC).

This makes sense for me ONLY IF:

- The K-01x when used as a USB DAC is at the level of those high End external DACs,
    AND has a musicality/emotion close to the NAGRA HD DAC (and far from analytic like the dCS that I did not liked because I use a BHSE tube AMP and a STAX SR009 electrostatic headphone, a very precise and analytic set-up which do not tolerate a dry & non-musical source. This is why I liked a lot the NAGRA HD DAC (hybride tube DAC) which bring a lot of emotion and engagement into my music, while TotalDAC, DAVE and dCS Rossini only bring details but NO emotion ).

- The K-01x is also stellar with RedBooks CD, and not only with SACD (I almost have NO SACD, only CD).

So... is the K-01x (with a G2 clock may be) for me ?

Just use copper cables if the sound is harsh, that'll tame anything. I have found the Esoteric sound to be neutral & revealing of anything else in the system.

Very tempted by the Esoteric K-01 (or 03), but....

Initially I intended to buy a NAGRA HD DAC + a lesser advanced CD-player since 80% of my listening will be High-Res music files, 19% Red-Book CDs ans 1%..SACDs, but... reading from the various reports from K-01x users, it seems that I could instead go for this 1 box Esoteric solution (CD + DAC).

This makes sense for me ONLY IF:

- The K-01x when used as a USB DAC is at the level of those high End external DACs,
    AND has a musicality/emotion close to the NAGRA HD DAC (and far from analytic like the dCS that I did not liked because I use a BHSE tube AMP and a STAX SR009 electrostatic headphone, a very precise and analytic set-up which do not tolerate a dry & non-musical source. This is why I liked a lot the NAGRA HD DAC (hybride tube DAC) which bring a lot of emotion and engagement into my music, while TotalDAC, DAVE and dCS Rossini only bring details but NO emotion ).

- The K-01x is also stellar with RedBooks CD, and not only with SACD (I almost have NO SACD, only CD).

So... is the K-01x (with a G2 clock may be) for me ?
    Since your headphone system sounds rather portable, I would take it to an Esoteric dealer and audition the K-01X with your own gear.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Since your headphone system sounds rather portable, I would take it to an Esoteric dealer and audition the K-01X with your own gear.

Best,
    Ken
    well this is indeed organised for thursday after christmass with an Esoteric dealer. I Will bring my BHSE + Headphone and try them with the K-01x but also with a NADAC DAC and a Forzatto music server.

I also will try to listen to the VITUS SCD-025 mk2 CD/DAC which is at the same price (anyone heard the VITUS?)

Audioshark

Esoteric K-01X & K-03X

well this is indeed organised for thursday after christmass with an Esoteric dealer. I Will bring my BHSE + Headphone and try them with the K-01x but also with a NADAC DAC and a Forzatto music server.

I also will try to listen to the VITUS SCD-025 mk2 CD/DAC which is at the same price (anyone heard the VITUS?)
    The Vitus is outstanding and may be the winner. Very liquid and organic sounding. Esoteric is great too. I look forward to your findings. You're definitely on the right track.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

bmichels ,I've already posted detailed replies to your questions about this player on this forum & another forum, so i'll just say It is one helluva spinner. Very engaging, liquid & analogue-sounding. I'll avoid throwing around "best" as that is a subjective term. Hence i'd definitely recommend seeking out an audition if you can swing one.

The beast!..

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Melbguy1 View Post
    I own that player & It is one helluva spinner. It had a major re-design in 2015 incl: an upgrade to the psu's, boards, EngineeRed (formerly Anagram) Q8 upsampler, master clock module, analogue output stage etc & is pretty much a new player. It has a very good transport based around a heavily modified Phillips Pro 2 LF transport mech mounted on a huge milled aluminium base. Vitus said this is the most analogue sounding cd player he has designed, and I have to agree. This player has good bass, tube-like liquidity/flow, excellent resolution & has an engaging sound with plenty of body. It sounds smooth & non-fatiguing, but requires 250-300hrs to mostly run in. Obviously it doesn't play SACD's, but when you have XRCD2, XRCD24, K2HD, DXD, SHM, SHM Platinum, Audio Fidelity 24kt gold, Mofi 24kt gold & many other audiophile cd's to choose from, it's not a really big negative. Besides that, you can stream DSD from a HDD. I'll avoid throwing around "best" as that is a subjective term. Hence i'd definitely recommend seeking out an audition if you can swing one.
    Thanks.
    So I definitively need to find a way to listen to it ;-)
    On the Go: A&K SP1000 > Shure KSE 1500
    At home : ARIES > Denafrips Terminator R2R DAC > BHSE > STAX SR009
    -> for sale : Piano Forte PFVIII, Eddie Current 445 tube Amp (with many different tubes).
    Review Chord MOJO v/s HUGO et WooAudio WA8 v/s TU-05 & HUGO

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Esoteric K-01X & K-03X