m1 mono - Page 3
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: m1 mono

Post Thanks / Like

Re: m1 mono

Quote Originally Posted by Rob181 View Post
    Yes there is - bridging a 2 x stereo amps to mono increases noise significantly & the Ohm load is doubled. You may get 4 times the power but there are significant penalties for doing so.
    I was referring to the option, not the merits, of operating it either way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob181 View Post
    Yes there is - bridging a 2 x stereo amps to mono increases noise significantly & the Ohm load is doubled. You may get 4 times the power but there are significant penalties for doing so.
    Hi Rob,

These are the exact reasons I asked the original question.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with
    Two Mono Powerbases, Femto 33 Clock,
    Renderer V2 and Roon Nucleus Plus
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: AudioQuest Niagara 7000

Post Thanks / Like

This is the answer from Florian. Iím not sure it will answer your question. I suggest you email to him directly. He is very responsive.

In fact the monaural mode also exists for M1.1, and it is different compared to bridged mode. In monaural mode, a single amplifier channel is used and it is driven by the full power supply. That's a typical mode of operation when connecting low impedance speakers. The bridged mode is more appropriate for high impedance speakers which requires high voltage excursions.

In term of noise, I do not see any penalty to use bridged mode as long as the amplifier section itself is quiet enough. it is correct on the other hand that in bridged mode, each amplifier sees 'half' of the load and needs to be able to drive low impedances. For the M1.1, it is not recommanded to connect speakers with an impedance below 2 Ohm in bridged mode, while loads below 1 Ohm are supported in monaural mode.

Post Thanks / Like

The latest Stereophile has a full review of the CH M1.1. Goes into the various modes and a very good review by M.F, well worth reading.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adyc View Post
    This is the answer from Florian. I’m not sure it will answer your question. I suggest you email to him directly. He is very responsive.

In fact the monaural mode also exists for M1.1, and it is different compared to bridged mode. In monaural mode, a single amplifier channel is used and it is driven by the full power supply. That's a typical mode of operation when connecting low impedance speakers. The bridged mode is more appropriate for high impedance speakers which requires high voltage excursions.

In term of noise, I do not see any penalty to use bridged mode as long as the amplifier section itself is quiet enough. it is correct on the other hand that in bridged mode, each amplifier sees 'half' of the load and needs to be able to drive low impedances. For the M1.1, it is not recommanded to connect speakers with an impedance below 2 Ohm in bridged mode, while loads below 1 Ohm are supported in monaural mode.
    Thanks for your detailed response. So, in the mono mode for the M1.1, are half the amplifier components, other than the power supply, lying there dormant?

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Thanks for your detailed response. So, in the mono mode for the M1.1, are half the amplifier components, other than the power supply, lying there dormant?

Ken
    I don’t think it is quite true. For example, the two big red capacitors are used all the time.

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

m1 mono

Based on the Fremer review I just read and Johnís measurements, this is an amp that can sound very different based on the feedback amount selected as well. I wonder if long term listening, one gets accustomed to its uniquely dryer sound? Others who recently heard this amp at the CA show this weekend have also publicly commented on the dryness. So itís not just me!

I would like to play with the feedback a little to see how this could affect this characteristic. Hey, it might just be the wrong setting for my tastes and a simple adjustment and you find nirvana!

Yes, I could be totally wrong on this amp and maybe just always heard it with the wrong feedback setting.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Based on the Fremer review I just read and John’s measurements, this is an amp that can sound very different based on the feedback amount selected as well. I wonder if long term listening, one gets accustomed to its uniquely dryer sound? Others who recently heard this amp at the CA show this weekend have also publicly commented on the dryness. So it’s not just me!

I would like to play with the feedback a little to see how this could affect this characteristic. Hey, it might just be the wrong setting for my tastes and a simple adjustment and you find nirvana!

Yes, I could be totally wrong on this amp and maybe just always heard it with the wrong feedback setting.
    MF’s review says the amp is slightly warm and rich. I can’t find the word “dryness” in his review.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Based on the Fremer review I just read and John’s measurements, this is an amp that can sound very different based on the feedback amount selected as well. I wonder if long term listening, one gets accustomed to its uniquely dryer sound? Others who recently heard this amp at the CA show this weekend have also publicly commented on the dryness. So it’s not just me!

My tastes lean towards zero negative feedback even with the higher distortion levels. As you dial up the negative feedback, distortion will decline but something desirable sound wise is lacking. My ideal monoblocks are zero negative feedback and built as monoblocks from the ground up. Those are two big reasons I own what I own.

Ken

10. Thanks Mike thanked for this post
    Likes Mike liked this post
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adyc View Post
    MFís review says the amp is slightly warm and rich. I canít find the word ďdrynessĒ in his review.
    Agreed. But others who have heard them have commented publicly on the ďdrynessĒ aspect. So, itís not just me. However, Iím wondering what feedback setting these folks at the shows have set it at. Even in Munich, I heard a lot of CH, and not once noticed anything but the dryness aspect. That being said, what was the feedback set to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Chord, Constellation Audio, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Fyne Audio Loudspeakers, GigaFoil, Gryphon Audio, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, Keces Power Supplies, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, SimAudio, SRA, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast