Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

Re: Rockport Cygnus at CES

Where do these sit on the Rockport speaker line?

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

I'm pretty sure they are around $65K.

$62,500. Available Q2/Q3. New tweeter wave guide, baffle design and crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by philb7777 View Post
    $62,500. Available Q2/Q3. New tweeter wave guide, baffle design and crossover.
    They look like basically the same speaker as the Rockport Avior (MSRP $32,500) at nearly double the price. Do these improvements warrant a $30,000 price increase?

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    They look like basically the same speaker as the Rockport Avior (MSRP $32,500) at nearly double the price. Do these improvements warrant a $30,000 price increase?

Ken
    How would you know until you heard them and understood the differences and costs associated with the drivers and crossover?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    How would you know until you heard them and understood the differences and costs associated with the drivers and crossover?
    We are back to the grumbling about high prices and massive price increases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

I know. It seems to be in vogue.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Here is more info on the Rockport Cygnus:

The new from baffle is made of two 3/4" thick, aircraft grade aluminum plates that sandwich a viscoelastic polymer, forming a 1 1/2" thick, constrained mode damped composite sub-baffle.This aluminum sub-baffle assembly is in turn bolted and bonded onto the enclosure's 3 inch thick MDF inner baffle. All of the drive units are mounted to the aluminum sub-baffle assembly, which results in a lower noise floor, as well as greater dynamic expression and resolution from the drive units themselves.

The bass system utilizes (2) brand new, custom designed and built Rockport Technologies 10" carbon fiber/sandwich composite woofers per channel in an enclosure with an internal volume approximately 50% larger than that of the Avior. Each woofer has a newly designed, 3" diameter motor system (the Avior and Atria's woofers use a 2" motor system) with even greater headroom and power handling capability than that of the Avior. Since the woofers share the same design and construction principles as the Avior and Atria woofer, they also exhibit the same ultra-low distortion figures (-60 dB!), and incredibly high thermal and mechanical headroom. With 50% greater surface area than the Avior's twin woofers, the extension, ease, and resolution of the Cygnus' bass registers is world class, especially given the enclosure's modest proportions.

The Cygnus uses the same beryllium tweeter as found in the Altair, Avior, and Atria, although it is now mounted into a custom, machined aluminum waveguide. This shallow waveguide (not to be confused with horn loading) improves the acoustic impedance match of the tweeter at the low end of its range (1800 Hz-4000 Hz) which again allows for lower distortion and greater dynamic expression from the tweeter itself, as well as improved dispersion characteristics at the midrange/tweeter crossover point. The final waveguide is precision diamond-machined and then anodized, rendering a beautiful 3-D luster, and providing an ideal mounting surface for the tweeter itself.

The Cygnus embodies all of the attributes that the Atria and Avior are known for, yet brings each of these elements to a higher performance level, yielding a loudspeaker that will transport you back to the original recorded event in a way that is unheard of at this price point. ($62,500)

Audioshark

Philb7777 - thanks for sharing. I was thoroughly impressed with the Rockports I heard at Goodwins. I can only imagine how good these will be.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Attached Images Attached Images

Philb7777 - thanks for sharing. I was thoroughly impressed with the Rockports I heard at Goodwins. I can only imagine how good these will be.

My pleasure Mike. I have actually ordered Aviors and but I'm contemplating changing the order to the Cygnus. It's not a trivial difference in price, but it would be nice to have the 'latest' thinkings of Andy Payor with a new Rockport purchase. I tend to keep components/speakers for 10-12 years at a time, so It would be an investment.

Audioshark

Rockport Cygnus at CES

My pleasure Mike. I have actually ordered Aviors and but I'm contemplating changing the order to the Cygnus. It's not a trivial difference in price, but it would be nice to have the 'latest' thinkings of Andy Payor with a new Rockport purchase. I tend to keep components/speakers for 10-12 years at a time, so It would be an investment.
    I agree. Andy is passionate about what he does. I would tend to be thinking along the same lines as yourself.

What amps are you going to be using? I've heard Rockport with McIntosh, Spectral, Constellation and Sim. Spectral was exceptionally good. But I've read some horror stories about their Customer Service, so not sure that would be my pick. I would suspect Soulution 501's would be excellent as well, or a Stereo Hegel H30.

philb7777...congrats on the new Rockports (whichever you decide to go with) Another option in terms of amplification that Andy often shows with is Class Gryphon amps.
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

I agree. Andy is passionate about what he does. I would tend to be thinking along the same lines as yourself.

What amps are you going to be using? I've heard Rockport with McIntosh, Spectral, Constellation and Sim. Spectral was exceptionally good. But I've read some horror stories about their Customer Service, so not sure that would be my pick. I would suspect Soulution 501's would be excellent as well, or a Stereo Hegel H30.

I currently have an all Audio Research system, with the Ref 2SE phone, Ref 5SE preamp and Ref 250 mono blocks. I enjoy the ARC sound as it gives me both characteristics of solid state sonics and tube sonics that I like/prioritize. Both my local dealer and Andy felt that it would be enough power to drive the Aviors or Cygnus and should mate well.

I heard both Constellation and Ypsilon at RMAF 2014 and really liked both of them, intact both were stellar. Constellation was with Raidho and Ypsilon was with Lansche. Heard Soulutions at RMAF too, with Focal Grand Utopias. For whatever reason, they were not a good match.

Thanks for your input and info Mike. Its increasingly hard to hear different components with loudspeakers and have the experience to draw from.

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    philb7777...congrats on the new Rockports (whichever you decide to go with) Another option in terms of amplification that Andy often shows with is Class Gryphon amps.
    Thanks cmalak. Yeah, it looks like Gryphon is what Andy voices things with in the factory. I wish I could hear some Gryphon someday. I don't think they have a current US distributor/dealer network? The Gryphon/Rockport combo must be magical.

philb7777....A few years back I tested my electronics (Ref 3 and Ref 110) with his Mira speakers and loved the combo. I am a big Rockport fan. Your combo with the 5SE and 250s should be a super nice combination with either the Aviors or the Cygnus. Let us know which speaker you decide on and what the match with ARC sounds like when you get them installed

Just curious but what speakers will you be replacing with the Rockports?
    Cyril
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

philb7777....A few years back I tested my electronics (Ref 3 and Ref 110) with his Mira speakers and loved the combo. I am a big Rockport fan. Your combo with the 5SE and 250s should be a super nice combination with either the Aviors or the Cygnus. Let us know which speaker you decide on and what the match with ARC sounds like when you get them installed

Just curious but what speakers will you be replacing with the Rockports?

That is great to know with your experience matching ARC and Rockport. Thanks for that piece of info!

I will be replacing Avalon Eidolon Diamonds. I have had them for just over 10 years and love them. In fact, its taken me over 2 years and lots of searching to decide on the Rockports. I can't speak highly enough of my Avalon Eidolons. They always have been up the the challenge and improved as I improved things up the chain. To my ear the Rockports have a little more robust bass and dynamics compared to the Avalons. Imaging is a toss up, but the Avalon soundstage depth and holography is hard to beat. In the end, with my ears, the dynamics of the Rockports won out.

My friend has some Avantgarde Horns and he has pushed me to consider them. I completely get why he likes them. The Rockports are just in the middle between the Avalon sound and the Avantgarde sound. They take the best attributes of both.

Thanks again for your info, and I should have a decision by mid week. I'll keep you posted.

Hi Mike,

Not grumbling at all. Merely an observation that visually they appear very similar to the Rockport Avior. Seems to me like a lot of extra money for a new tweeter wave guide, baffle design and crossover.

Best,
    Ken
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Well, I took the plunge and changed my order to the Cygnus. My payment on the Aviors will be used as a downpayment on the Cyngus. Hopefully the Cygnus will arrive sometime between late May and July. It will be a good thing on timing as my son and several of his friends will be home from college and I will need all the help I can get lugging these crates up my stairs to my listening room. I'll keep everyone posted on my (hopefully patient) wait!

Audioshark

Big Congrats Phil! I'm sure you will love the Cygnus. What are you thinking for amplification?

Well, I took the plunge and changed my order to the Cygnus. My payment on the Aviors will be used as a downpayment on the Cyngus. Hopefully the Cygnus will arrive sometime between late May and July. It will be a good thing on timing as my son and several of his friends will be home from college and I will need all the help I can get lugging these crates up my stairs to my listening room. I'll keep everyone posted on my (hopefully patient) wait!
    Congrats Phil on the Cygnus! They look like a very fine speaker, Rockport's latest and greatest. Excellent timing on your part! Let us know when you take delivery.

Best,
    Ken

Big Congrats Phil! I'm sure you will love the Cygnus. What are you thinking for amplification?

Thanks Mike. Right now I will be sticking with my ARC Ref 250's and see how they match up with the Cygnus. My hope and suspicion is that it will be a good match. The Ref 250's drive my Avalons quite well and the Cygnus is more sensitive at 90dB compared to the Eidolons at 87.4dB. Thanks again!

Congrats Phil on the Cygnus! They look like a very fine speaker, Rockport's latest and greatest. Excellent timing on your part! Let us know when you take delivery.

Best,
    Ken

Thanks Ken. I'm certainly looking forward to getting them and will keep you and everyone posted.

Audioshark

Thanks Mike. Right now I will be sticking with my ARC Ref 250's and see how they match up with the Cygnus. My hope and suspicion is that it will be a good match. The Ref 250's drive my Avalons quite well and the Cygnus is more sensitive at 90dB compared to the Eidolons at 87.4dB. Thanks again!
    I think that will be a terrific match. Have you considered getting some KT150's for your REF250's?

Congrats again on the Rockport Cygnus. I bet you will just love them.

Phil...congrats on the incoming Cygnus speakers That's great news and I will be eagerly revisiting this thread to see how the ARC - Rockport combo suits you.
    Cyril

I think that will be a terrific match. Have you considered getting some KT150's for your REF250's?

Congrats again on the Rockport Cygnus. I bet you will just love them.
    Mike, I have been following several threads with high interest in the KT150's for my Ref 250's. From all I can read and what others experienced thus far, its a direct drop in for the KT120's. Right now my Ref 250's only have around 900 hours on them. I suppose I will wait until I hit around 2,000 hours or a tube goes/sound quality declines. But the next tubes I get for them will be the 150's!

Phil...congrats on the incoming Cygnus speakers That's great news and I will be eagerly revisiting this thread to see how the ARC - Rockport combo suits you.

Thank you! I'll certainly keep everyone updated and let you know what the ARC/Rockport combo sounds like.

Congratulations! I had a pair of Mira 2s and loved them. One of a number of speakers I wish I didn't let go. Best overall bass I ever had in my room. I hope to own Rockports again.

mira_2_03.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BruceLet View Post
    Congratulations! I had a pair of Mira 2s and loved them. One of a number of speakers I wish I didn't let go. Best overall bass I ever had in my room. I hope to own Rockports again.

Thanks Bruce, I'm looking forward to my first Rockport experience.

I just found out from my Rockport dealer that the Cygnus has started production this week. Mine are to be shipped hopefully by the end of August. I'll keep everyone posted on when I get them, etc.

Very cool Phil Not that much longer now...
    Cyril

Audioshark

I just found out from my Rockport dealer that the Cygnus has started production this week. Mine are to be shipped hopefully by the end of August. I'll keep everyone posted on when I get them, etc.
    Big congrats! Can't wait to see pictures of them and get your impressions.

Rockport Cygnus at CES

Cygnus looks gorgeous. Congrats Phil. Never really had a chance to hear any Rockports, but look-wise Cygnus's gotta be top 3 beauty I've ever seen. Craftsmanship is off the charts.

Well the Cygnus have finally arrived. Sort of anyway. Still in crates as the freight company would only deliver to the ground floor of my home. My listening room is upstairs, so I have an antique furniture moving company coming to uncrate them and move them up my stairs into my listening room on Wednesday Sept. 30th. Hopefully music will be flowing by Wednesday night......I will keep everyone posted with pics of uncrating and set up.IMG_2940.JPGIMG_2948.JPG

Audioshark

Congrats!

Congratulations!

Mike

Cygnus vs. S7, I would love to hear that comparison.

Ken

mauidan

Cygnus vs. S7, I would love to hear that comparison.

Ken
    Yes, that would be an interesting compaison, but it's not very likely that you would be able to hear both speakers in the same room with the same equipment.

Looks like there are only three dealers in the USA that carry both brands, and I'm guessing that very few people have heard the production versions of both speakers anywhere.

Based on feedback I've received, I'm betting that the Cygnus is the speaker to own in this price range.

I'm sure both are terrific. It will be down to personal preference - as always.

Those attending RMAF will have a chance to listen to the S7. I haven't seen anything about Rockport demoing at the fest this year.

Mike

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I'm excited.

It would be cool to hear a Cygnus vs S7 comparison. Both are similarly priced. Magico is at the Hyatt this year about a block away from the Marriott Tech Center Hotel where RMAF 2015 is. I bet their demo will be fantastic as they will have the whole place to themselves and are in a ballroom there I think.

I listened to several Magicos prior to my Rockport decision. Ritmo is absolutely correct - at manufacturer's at the level of Rockport and Magico, it does boil down to sonic and aesthetic personal preferences.

Thanks again everyone!

Audioshark

The Cygnus is one speaker I'm REALLY looking forward to hearing at RMAF.

From what I have seen on the RMAF website, I can't find where Rockport is showing. I certainly hope they do as it would make sense to have the Cygnus there since they have just become available. I'll certainly keep my eyes posted for thoughts on the Cygnus at RMAF.

Well the Cygnus have finally arrived. Sort of anyway. Still in crates as the freight company would only deliver to the ground floor of my home. My listening room is upstairs, so I have an antique furniture moving company coming to uncrate them and move them up my stairs into my listening room on Wednesday Sept. 30th. Hopefully music will be flowing by Wednesday night......I will keep everyone posted with pics of uncrating and set up.IMG_2940.JPGIMG_2948.JPG
    Phil,

Congrats on your new Cygnus speakers! Please let us know when you have them up and running.

Best,
    Ken

mauidan

From what I have seen on the RMAF website, I can't find where Rockport is showing. I certainly hope they do as it would make sense to have the Cygnus there since they have just become available. I'll certainly keep my eyes posted for thoughts on the Cygnus at RMAF.
    I think Andy is selling all the speakers he wants to make, and doesn't need to display at AARP meetings like RMAF.

Uncrated and waiting for movers to get them upstairs tomorrow afternoon.IMG_2986.JPG

Audioshark

Exciting times Phil! I bet you're like a kid at Christmas!

mauidan

Might be able to hear them here:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...t-during-rmaf/

9/30/15- Just talked to the dealer, no Cygnus.

Things went great with the movers. They did an excellent job.

The Rockport Cygnus are fantastic. I know the 'new speaker euphoria' can make opinions over-inflated, but I've been around the block enough to be objective and know when I've made a good audio purchase or a not so good one. This is a great one. I have them far from dialed in, just resting approximately where my previous speakers were. Right away, the bass was tight, tuneful and detailed and extended well below 25 hz. No need for my sub anymore! The mids were 'meaty' and solid, very life like. Imaging, without any toe-in was great and layering of soundstage superb. Naturalness and realistic are two words that come to mind. Never heard piano sound so real in my room. This tweeter with the waveguide is really something, far surpassing my diamond tweeter previously. Things are airy and float. Cymbals are very natural. I can't even begin to imagine what it will sound like when I break them in a bit and get them dialed in the room over the next few weeks. 9 months was a long wait time, but well worth it.

IMG_2989.JPGIMG_2990.JPGIMG_2992.JPGIMG_2993.JPGIMG_2995.JPG

Audioshark

Absolutely gorgeous setup Phil. You must be over the moon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Rockport Cygnus at CES