Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Audioshark

Boulder 2120 DAC

Boulder 2120 DAC

- Inputs include: AES, S/PDIF, USB, HDMI and Ethernet
    - Will handle sample rates up to 32-bits and 386 KHz
    - Internal digital volume control
    - Separate chassis for the left channel, right channel, user interface and power supply
    - Large display and all available metadata (including cover art) are displayed
    99S gain stages in the analog output section

Thanks to Paul for sending me this!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Boulder 2120 DAC

WOW. Sure looks impressive. Any info on DSD compatibility ??

+1...and the price is

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    +1...and the price is
    How much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Heard it today as CES, with YG Sonjas.
    Fantastic!
    The interface is cool and simple, and it works smoothly. No hiccups.
    It is a beast of a machine!
    The price is $60k, though...

alexandre

[QUOTE=asiufy;109003]Heard it today as CES, with YG Sonjas.
    Fantastic!

alexandre[/QUOTE

Might as well charge $160,000 for it. It's too expensive for anyone sane, and way too cheap to be considered the best in the world for the top 1% audio elite.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
    Heard it today as CES, with YG Sonjas.
    Fantastic!

alexandre
    Looking at this purely from my IT hardware/software background perspective, what in the world is in this to justify $60,000?

The more important question is why would any one spend that kind of loot on it? digital is changing way to fast. All computer audio Is headed to DSD and beyond....and in my opinion, if that thing ain't doing DSD, it's already behind....especially if it's not upgradable!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Looking at this purely from my IT hardware/software background perspective, what in the world is in this to justify $60,000?
    I too have a IT background and can tell you...you're paying mostly for the board technology in that thing. I mean, look at the gui! Very impressive! Also the name Bolder.

It's beautiful. Does that qualify?
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Boulder 2120 DAC

Eye of the beholder i guess. Even if it sounded great, i couldn't stand looking at the screen. I always appreciate a display that can be turned off, but in this case, part of the reason for the hefty price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Rantzmar View Post
    The more important question is why would any one spend that kind of loot on it? digital is changing way to fast. All computer audio Is headed to DSD and beyond....and in my opinion, if that thing ain't doing DSD, it's already behind....especially if it's not upgradable!
    Actually very little music is going to DSD. Even less that interests me.
    Jim

Audioshark

Agreed 100%. New formats are continuing to be created.

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    It's beautiful. Does that qualify?
    I agree, it's beautiful. And the build quality is outstanding.

alexandre

It may be first rate in sonics but for that price I expect it to cook my breakfast and drive me to work

Actually very little music is going to DSD. Even less that interests me.
    Dont deny what's ahead! More and more music in DSD format is coming. There's plenty now if you know how to find it. The market, once it catches up is going to demand it. Besides...you got DACs doing DSD on the fly! And once a person hears native DSD128, well they upgrade the drives and demand more......it's just a matter of time. A good DAC with great clocks doing DSD can have just as great of resolution and dynamics as a good vinyl rig...hell, My buddys Lampizator 7 right now sounds as good as vinyl.

Right now on Acoustic sounds one can purchase DSD64 for the same price as Flac files. If you got the space and the DAC, which one would you purchase? Audiophiles will catchup. And besides, DACs are getting better and cheaper at the same time.

Dont deny what's ahead! More and more music in DSD format is coming. There's plenty now if you know how to find it. The market, once it catches up is going to demand it. Besides...you got DACs doing DSD on the fly! And once a person hears native DSD128, well they upgrade the drives and demand more......it's just a matter of time. A good DAC with great clocks doing DSD can have just as great of resolution and dynamics as a good vinyl rig...hell, My buddys Lampizator 7 right now sounds as good as vinyl.

Right now on Acoustic sounds one can purchase DSD64 for the same price as Flac files. If you got the space and the DAC, which one would you purchase? Audiophiles will catchup. And besides, DACs are getting better and cheaper at the same time.
    Wow. I just checked. A whole 478 DSD titles on Acoustic Sounds and it is the SOS titles. Until we start seeing new releases it will remain just another option in a very segmented market.

I have heard DSD on several occasions and have never heard it sound much better than good PCM.
    Jim

That's just it! There are newer releases...you just don't know where to look. If you search for them online, you'd find a few more sites offering down loads...mostly classical now, but it's growing now.

I wonder if you heard native DSD128? Native DSD 64 sounds better than PCM. Even in my experience, DoP...sounds better than PCM. There are a few things that can keep one from hearing DSD....software not configured properly....computer software not strong enough ( remember now, this format takes a lot of processing and one must have a very powerful computer to handle the job)....supporting gear not resolving enough....bad clocks in the DAC......and the most important one......the person just can't hear, or know what to listen for. DSD 128 properly set up can be breath taking. I've listened to the Lampizator DAC, level 7 with "The Dude" tube preamp, and Coda amps and if you didn't know any better you'd think you where listening to a great vinyl rig.

That's just it! There are newer releases...you just don't know where to look. If you search for them online, you'd find a few more sites offering down loads...mostly classical now, but it's growing now.

I wonder if you heard native DSD128? Native DSD 64 sounds better than PCM. Even in my experience, DoP...sounds better than PCM. There are a few things that can keep one from hearing DSD....software not configured properly....computer software not strong enough ( remember now, this format takes a lot of processing and one must have a very powerful computer to handle the job)....supporting gear not resolving enough....bad clocks in the DAC......and the most important one......the person just can't hear, or know what to listen for. DSD 128 properly set up can be breath taking. I've listened to the Lampizator DAC, level 7 with "The Dude" tube preamp, and Coda amps and if you didn't know any better you'd think you where listening to a great vinyl rig.
    Just what I want. A DAC with a tube in it. No thanks. No wonder it only gets to the level of vinyl.
    Jim

What sounds better in your opinion...SS?

Well Jim...I'm certainly not mad at cha for not liking tubes. Tell you what....you seem capable enough. Why don't you fly into St.Louis this weekend. Lukasz Fikus, Cheif engineer and founder of Lampizator will be at a friends house....that way you can hear the DAC with tubes in them.....would you like to join us? Perhaps we can change your mind?

Just what I want. A DAC with a tube in it. No thanks. No wonder it only gets to the level of vinyl.
    Jim-Are you having a bad day?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Audioshark

Even though I don't agree, that was pretty funny.

Even though I don't agree, that was pretty funny.
    Interesting. I saw zero humor in his statement and I'm always looking for some humor.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

mep...you need to know Jim. He is one of the most stand-up guys in this hobby and while he has his strong biases, such as SS over tubes and digital over vinyl, etc...he tells it how he sees/hears it and is known to give tube- and vinyl-heads a hard time for sh&ts and grins every once in a while. Knowing the source you would have known he was simply teasing Rantzmar.
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

I've never heard a DAC that gets close to the level of vinyl.
    Doug

Doug...Jim would ask you if you have had your ears checked for wax recently....
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    Doug...Jim would ask you if you have had your ears checked for wax recently....
    That he would. Ha!
    Doug

Well Jim...I'm certainly not mad at cha for not liking tubes. Tell you what....you seem capable enough. Why don't you fly into St.Louis this weekend. Lukasz Fikus, Cheif engineer and founder of Lampizator will be at a friends house....that way you can hear the DAC with tubes in them.....would you like to join us? Perhaps we can change your mind?
    Ahhh, Dsd done right is magical indeed.

the latest craze us to upsample all to dsd128 and above.

the future is multibit PDM, no doubt.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

This DAC has been confirmed by Boulder to support single and double rate DSD. They also said the final price has not yet been set, but expected to be between $50 and $60K.

"A DAC with a tube in it." ? get a NAGRA HD DAC !

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
    "A DAC with a tube in it." ? get a NAGRA HD DAC !
    Nagra gear is pure audio porn.

Nagra gear is pure audio porn.

I guess this is a compliment or NAGRA :-)

I guess this is a compliment or NAGRA :-)
    The Nagra is very very good DAC?..

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    I've never heard a DAC that gets close to the level of vinyl.
    Hmmm... I hear it everyday in my living room and I have Vinyl. 10 years ago definitely the case. In the last 2-3 years have to disagree.

2120 is based on delta sigma, multibit R2R or maybe negative beta encoder?

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    2120 is based on delta sigma, multibit R2R or maybe negative beta encoder?
    After I heard a Ternary R3R dac, I'm not interested in this very expensive dac anymore.
    R3R beats all other binary parallel, serial R2R and delta sigma dacs.

I heard DSD and PCM through a sound Gallery music server into a MSB select 2 with dual power bases. All equipment was placed on electronic isolation stands for electron microscopes with custom tops and custom linear power supplies powering the stands. It wasn't my system obviously. It was relatively difficult to discern PCM from DSD.
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp. Audion Black Shadow 845 SET Monoblocks. Mojo Audio Deja Vu Server. Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC. Linear Solution Ethernet Switch. Gigafoil with LPS. STST Motus II TT with Vertere SG1 arm, Hana ML Cartridge, Allnic H1201 phono pre. Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Horn speakers with Mundord Supreme oil caps. Power via 10 awg Oyaide cable from panel to custom distribution strip feeding front end. Oyaide dedicated10 AWG branch circuits from panel to each amp. Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.
    Kingrexelectric.com Lyncole certified grounding specialist.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    I heard DSD and PCM through a sound Gallery music server into a MSB select 2 with dual power bases. All equipment was placed on electronic isolation stands for electron microscopes with custom tops and custom linear power supplies powering the stands. It wasn't my system obviously. It was relatively difficult to discern PCM from DSD.
    Interesting, but what is the connection of your writing with the Boulder 2120 ?
    On the Go: A&K SP1000 > Shure KSE 1500
    At home : ARIES > Denafrips Terminator R2R DAC > BHSE > STAX SR009
    -> for sale : Piano Forte PFVIII, Eddie Current 445 tube Amp (with many different tubes).
    Review Chord MOJO v/s HUGO et WooAudio WA8 v/s TU-05 & HUGO

Interesting, but what is the connection of your writing with the Boulder 2120 ?
    I was thinking the same as this thread had diverged so much from its original post.
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp. Audion Black Shadow 845 SET Monoblocks. Mojo Audio Deja Vu Server. Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC. Linear Solution Ethernet Switch. Gigafoil with LPS. STST Motus II TT with Vertere SG1 arm, Hana ML Cartridge, Allnic H1201 phono pre. Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Horn speakers with Mundord Supreme oil caps. Power via 10 awg Oyaide cable from panel to custom distribution strip feeding front end. Oyaide dedicated10 AWG branch circuits from panel to each amp. Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.
    Kingrexelectric.com Lyncole certified grounding specialist.

Banned

Got a deal on a Boulder 1021 CD/Streamer Player.
    Anxious to see how it performs next to my Ayre QX-5 Twenty????

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Boulder 2120 DAC