Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Bananas / Spades

Hello! Cody from TARA Labs here again.

Over the years, we receive many emails asking about termination for speaker cables. What we have found is that in the USA, the preferred termination is spades. But in Europe, it seems that bananas are the preferred terminations. I personally like spades, but would love to hear which termination you prefer?

Hope you're all having a wonderful holiday!
    Disclaimer: I am an employee of TARA Labs. I am not here to promote TARA Labs products.

Re: Bananas / Spades

Spades here but it is nice to have the option of spades & banana as in threaded.

I think the geographic difference in preferences is the European equipment uses Eurotrash binding posts. I hate that plastic covered .....(sorry, I can't think of a polite noun).

I prefer bananas on lightweight cables because they work on anything except the Cardas Patented Binding Posts (single knob). For heavier and stiff cables I prefer spades because I feel that cables connected from perpendicular to the post have less leverage and therefore less strain on the equipment and cable.

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    Spades here but it is nice to have the option of spades & banana as in threaded.
    Another vote for threaded and easy to swap.

Bananas for auditioning cables and spades for permanent fixture. How's that for customer sentiment?

I'd be curious to learn what Tara's research shows which connection is best.
    Le Roy

Austin, Tx : Soulution 520 preamp, 501 mono blocks, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D3.1, Lumin U1, Uptone Audio Modded Mac Mini w/ MMK fanless kit & JS-2 LPS, Regen, Ansuz DTC loom (complete), Oppo 105D, QNAP TS-451+

Chicagoland : Soulution 725 preamp, 711 stereo amp, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D5.1, Naim UnitiServe 2TB, Aurender W-20 Ansuz DTC later generation wire, Teac X1000 R2R, QNAP TS-451+

Foundation:
    Raidho Rack system, Ansuz DTC Mainz8, Ansuz (2) Supreme Mainz D8 Distribution, 20 amp dedicated outlets via subpanel

I prefer spades myself. That's what my Tara Labs speaker cables have.
    George
    -----------------------

Aurender ACS10 Music Server > Holo Audio May KTE R2R Ladder DAC > Pass Labs XP-30 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Renaissance ELS 15A Speakers

Powered By 2X BPT 3.5 Signature Plus Ultra Isolators | Shunyata Research Hydra Triton + Typhon | Shunyata Hydra 2 Power Conditioner

I prefer banana's. I believe you also get more 'surface contact' with banana's. Never had a banana connection become lose. Where years ago when I had spades I would have to tighten them at the speaker end every few months. I do have Nordost Frey's which are quite light so I see no problem of them becoming lose. I demoed some JPS S3's a couple of years ago that had WBT locking banana's. Seemed very secure for the 2 weeks I had them.
    I'd be curious to learn what Tara's research shows which connection is best.
    Me too
    George

Aavik U300 - Borresen 03 with optional Supreme D-TC feet - Naim unitiserve 2tb - Ansuz DTC digital cable with power box - Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC with 1 Ansuz Supreme D-TC and 1 Ceramic V2 power cords - Ansuz Ceramic V2 speaker cables - Ansus X Ethernet - pARTicular Novus full suspension rack.

I really would prefer that ALL speakers used the same size Spades so I did not have to adapt Bananas to my Synergistic Spades in order to use them with my Dynaudio speakers. My Clearfield use the lesser width spades, which is what is on the Synergistic cables. Speaker and cable MFGs would serve the customers better if they could adopt a universal dimension for both posts and spades.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Quote Originally Posted by octadyndude View Post
    I prefer banana's. I believe you also get more 'surface contact' with banana's. Never had a banana connection become lose. Where years ago when I had spades I would have to tighten them at the speaker end every few months. I do have Nordost Frey's which are quite light so I see no problem of them becoming lose. I demoed some JPS S3's a couple of years ago that had WBT locking banana's. Seemed very secure for the 2 weeks I had them.

Me too

Totally agree here. I'm a locking banana man. Furutech Fux CF202R is my favourite choice. I also like the WBT.

The solid silver interchangeable system is OK on the WireWorld but they are too soft and the potential for tarnish worries me.

Speakeasy

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post

The solid silver interchangeable system is OK on the WireWorld but they are too soft and the potential for tarnish worries me.
    Valid concern but the silver terminals from Wireworld can be polished periodically and silver oxide is still more conductive than copper, and certainly more conductive than gold, rhodium, etc.
    McIntosh MC462, MDA200, MCT500 -Apple Music iPad- PMC MB2 Se - Klipsch Palladium P-37F / P-312W- Clarus Crimson

Quote Originally Posted by Hiker View Post
    Valid concern but the silver terminals from Wireworld can be polished periodically and silver oxide is still more conductive than copper, and certainly more conductive than gold, rhodium, etc.
    Noted. The Wireworld silver connectors can be replaced easily too. Burn-in is quick.

Downside to rhodium is the long burn-in or break-in period.

Speakeasy

Totally agree here. I'm a locking banana man. Furutech Fux CF202R is my favourite choice. I also like the WBT.

Another vote for locking bananas where the wires enter at an angle to reduce leverage on the binding posts and connecter.

+1 for bananas, as long as they're quality. I've seen some that fall apart quite easily...
    They're much more convenient than spades, with more surface contact, and, it's my impression, they put less burden on the binding posts.

alexandre

Spades for me please.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Spades for me. I read somewhere (so it must be true ), that spades have less signal loss than bananas.
    Regards,
    Steve

https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/t...geezr-s-system
    I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody@TARA View Post
    Hello! Cody from TARA Labs here again.

Over the years, we receive many emails asking about termination for speaker cables. What we have found is that in the USA, the preferred termination is spades. But in Europe, it seems that bananas are the preferred terminations. I personally like spades, but would love to hear which termination you prefer?

Hope you're all having a wonderful holiday!
    I have 2 questions after reading some of the posts.
    1-Which termination has the most surface contact?
    2-Which has less signal loss and why?
    George

Aavik U300 - Borresen 03 with optional Supreme D-TC feet - Naim unitiserve 2tb - Ansuz DTC digital cable with power box - Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC with 1 Ansuz Supreme D-TC and 1 Ceramic V2 power cords - Ansuz Ceramic V2 speaker cables - Ansus X Ethernet - pARTicular Novus full suspension rack.

I think there is more to say about this than just banana's or spades. Let's first of all differentiate between plugs or spades. Because the plugs come in different versions:

1 The typical plugs with springs type contacts:

2 The hollow Bananas

3 The plug type with a spreading mechanism for better contact (also prevents accidental unplugging)

Then, next to the question of which type of plug or spades we need to answer the following questions:
    - soldering or screwing (there is different types for this),
    - which material: generally we can choose silver, gold or rhodium where the latter has the better conductive properties
    Hans

Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3 /alternatively JM Lab Point Source Aria 5 (self modified)/ 2x SVS 3000 SB, Audionet AMP (2x), dCS Bartók used as streamer / DAC / preamp, Pro-Ject RPM 9 with Speedbox S and Orthofon MC Vivo Blue, KEF LS50 Nocturne / Sunfire Atmos(kitchen). Patio: Bluesound Node 2i and Focal CMS50.
    RoonServer on Nucleus.

Welcome Cody!

I've always held on to the convention that spades provide a "better" physical (thus electrical?) connection as you can tighten them beyond how you can tighten (most) bananas. Of course, locking bananas changed that a bit.

However, all my stuff is (conventional) bananas - go figure.
    Harbeth C7ES-3/30 • Pass Labs XA30.5 • McIntosh C220 • Modwright/Sony SCD-XA5400ES • VPI Scout+ADS/JMW-9/Nagaoka MP-500
    "[N]ot everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." -William Bruce Cameron
    "Measurements do not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth." -John Atkinson

One addition. If you use the screw type of spades/bananas the use of wire ferrules might be recommendable.

Hans

Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3 /alternatively JM Lab Point Source Aria 5 (self modified)/ 2x SVS 3000 SB, Audionet AMP (2x), dCS Bartók used as streamer / DAC / preamp, Pro-Ject RPM 9 with Speedbox S and Orthofon MC Vivo Blue, KEF LS50 Nocturne / Sunfire Atmos(kitchen). Patio: Bluesound Node 2i and Focal CMS50.
    RoonServer on Nucleus.

I've never seen ferrules being used in a loudspeaker wire application. Do they make solid silver and solid copper ferrules? Or are they nickel and tin blends?

My my experience with the Furutech Flux bananas and spades is that the compression grub does not split stranded wire when it clamps down. Sealing it off with a bit of silicon before screwing on the barrel makes it nice and air tight.

Speakeasy

I've never seen ferrules being used in a loudspeaker wire application. Do they make solid silver and solid copper ferrules? Or are they nickel and tin blends?

My my experience with the Furutech Flux bananas and spades is that the compression grub does not split stranded wire when it clamps down. Sealing it off with a bit of silicon before screwing on the barrel makes it nice and air tight.
    That's why I wrote 'might'. It depends on the cable and the connector. Sometimes it is just better to screw directly on the strands as you described.
    Hans

RoonServer on Nucleus.

If you're looking for something other than spades or nanners, check out Neutrik Speakon connectors.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

2 Channel: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2, Manley Mahi Monoblocks, DIY SEOS Waveguide/Dipole Bass Towers
    HT: Marantz AV7005, Wyred 4 MMC5, DIY SEOS Towers, DIY 7CF Sealed 18" Subs
    PC: Wyred 4 Sound mINT, KEF Q100, Hifiman HE-6

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    If you're looking for something other than spades or nanners, check out Neutrik Speakon connectors.
    Very nice but do you know a single high-end loudspeaker using this?
    Hans

RoonServer on Nucleus.

I like spades but I do not understand how terminating the wire with WBT ferrules and connecting ferrules to speaker and amp would be any worse.
    Vintage Bedroom Gear: Dual CS 5000, McIntosh C29, McIntosh MC300, MR78 Sonus Faber Concertino

Listening Room Gear McIntosh MT10, McIntosh c2300, McIntosh MC275MKVI Mono'd, Sonus Faber Elipsa SE

The idea of using high quality sleeves/ferrules like those from ViaBlue or WBT has two advantages:

1. When using finely stranded conductors, the sleeve is placed and crimped onto the stranded wire using a high pressure crimp tool (WBT 0403). It effectively smashes the individual strands into a solid conductor and acts to protect against oxidation. This "solid conductor" can be seen after the crimp if you shear the sleeve/ferrule in half and look at the cross section.

2. After the crimp sleeve is in place, there is a little "crescent" depression produced along the length of the sleeve that the set-screws (grubs) on a given banana or spade connector (like the WBT or ViaBlue types) will grip instead of tightening into the bare strands which can break due to how fragile they are.
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Quote Originally Posted by Glareskin View Post
    Very nice but do you know a single high-end loudspeaker using this?
    Unfortunately, only a few active setups or those with outboard crossovers. I really wish they would catch on. No worries about connecting out of phase, falling out because your cat stepped on a cable, large chunks a cheap metal in the signal path, etc...

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

2 Channel: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2, Manley Mahi Monoblocks, DIY SEOS Waveguide/Dipole Bass Towers
    HT: Marantz AV7005, Wyred 4 MMC5, DIY SEOS Towers, DIY 7CF Sealed 18" Subs
    PC: Wyred 4 Sound mINT, KEF Q100, Hifiman HE-6

This is my understanding. My amp and speaker have a "wire hole" so ferrule into hole makes sense.
    Vintage Bedroom Gear: Dual CS 5000, McIntosh C29, McIntosh MC300, MR78 Sonus Faber Concertino

Listening Room Gear McIntosh MT10, McIntosh c2300, McIntosh MC275MKVI Mono'd, Sonus Faber Elipsa SE

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Bananas / Spades