Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

KT-150's in Conrad Johnson amps?

A brave soul from the Audiogon forum mentioned he swapped in KT-150's into his Conrad-Johnson Premier Twelve mono amps. I know one user is not enough of a sample but I am very curious.

Here is the quote:

"Call me a rebel CJ told me flat out NO, but I just replaced the kt120's in my CJ Premier 12's with kt150's, 60 hours in no issues, been monitoring the transformers to see if they get hot, no issues. the sonic difference is astounding in my system. I have had these amps for 18 years, and have run 3 brands of 6550's, 3 brands of kt88's, for almost 3 years kt120's. I switched to kt120's because of better bass and better dynamics, but I always felt they brought a little touch of electronic edge, I didn't know if that was coming from somewhere else in the chain. Back to the 150's, the sound is so dramatically better, I will never go back unless my amps blow up or I do. Dynamics like nothing I have ever heard, no grain or edge, best bass, best and deepest soundstage ever and most musical"
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: KT-150's in Conrad Johnson amps?

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    A brave soul from the Audiogon forum mentioned he swapped in KT-150's into his Conrad-Johnson Premier Twelve mono amps. I know one user is not enough of a sample but I am very curious.

Here is the quote:

"Call me a rebel CJ told me flat out NO, but I just replaced the kt120's in my CJ Premier 12's with kt150's, 60 hours in no issues, been monitoring the transformers to see if they get hot, no issues. the sonic difference is astounding in my system. I have had these amps for 18 years, and have run 3 brands of 6550's, 3 brands of kt88's, for almost 3 years kt120's. I switched to kt120's because of better bass and better dynamics, but I always felt they brought a little touch of electronic edge, I didn't know if that was coming from somewhere else in the chain. Back to the 150's, the sound is so dramatically better, I will never go back unless my amps blow up or I do. Dynamics like nothing I have ever heard, no grain or edge, best bass, best and deepest soundstage ever and most musical"
    Yes Lew said absolutely not.

What edge?
    Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, PF, www.positive-feedback.com
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post

What edge?
    Some people claim they hear an 'edge' with KT-120 tubes. I think the KT-120s are an improvement over currently available 6550/KT-88 tubes (and no, I haven't heard some of the Chinese KT-88s that some people are paying big money for. I don't shop at WalMart and I don't buy Chinese tubes).
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Super Moderator

I don't hear that either. To me my GAT and ART amps are the least electronic and smoothest sounding gear.

What edge?
    Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Some people claim they hear an 'edge' with KT-120 tubes. I think the KT-120s are an improvement over currently available 6550/KT-88 tubes (and no, I haven't heard some of the Chinese KT-88s that some people are paying big money for. I don't shop at WalMart and I don't buy Chinese tubes).
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I don't hear that either. To me my GAT and ART amps are the least electronic and smoothest sounding gear.
    Joe what do you have your GAT sitting on?
    Zellaton Plural Evo speakers, Doshi Audio EVO phonostage, VPI Avenger direct-drive turntable/VPI 12-inch gimbal Fatboy/vdH Colibri Master Signature/Triangle Art Apollo cartridges, SAT LM-12 tonearms/Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, VPI 12-inch gimballed Carbon Fiber arm/vdh Black Crimson and Sumiko Songbird, Mutech Hayabusa cartridges
    Technics RS1506 reel-to-reel with low inductance Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi Audio EVO tapestage, AudioQuest Dragon Zero, Audience FrontRow, Ensemble PC, Skogrand, Kubala-Sosna Realization speaker cable, Ikigai Kangai speaker cable, SRA Craz 3/OHIO 2.3 platforms and Symposium ISIS/Ultra rack/platforms, Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC.

Super Moderator

Cheap amp stands, unfortunately. With all my gear, I keep moving stuff around. I know that I need to focus on isolation and cables. I'm not getting the most from my gear. I truly need a great rack too. When I start to get some funds up, it ends up going to more gear and not the finishing touches needed.

Joe what do you have your GAT sitting on?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Cheap amp stands, unfortunately. With all my gear, I keep moving stuff around. I know that I need to focus on isolation and cables. I'm not getting the most from my gear. I truly need a great rack too. When I start to get some funds up, it ends up going to more gear and not the finishing touches needed.
    Yes you are not getting all that you can out of your investment otherwise. You need to get the GAT on a SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base or you haven't heard 1/2 of what the piece can do.

Super Moderator

I had them for my Burmester monos.

I think I have a new New Years resolution I do believe it's time to give them what they need to shine.

Yes you are not getting all that you can out of your investment otherwise. You need to get the GAT on a SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base or you haven't heard 1/2 of what the piece can do.

NAD C 658 streamer.

So how much does an SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base cost?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    So how much does an SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base cost?
    $4K each and are calibrated to your amps. Prices may have gone up since I had my Burmester monos with these stands.

"Each Ohio Class XL+² is hand built and because of the different parameters involved can range in price from about $1,000 each to as much as $8,000 each"

http://www.tonepublications.com/revi...ent-platforms/
    Last edited by joeinid; December 28, 2014 at 05:28 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

On the left under the Doshi is the less expensive SRA Isobase; under the Classic Direct is the Ohio Class XL+2 base. The Ohio Class base is good down to 0.5 Hz.

DSC_0024.JPG

$4K each and are calibrated to your amps. Prices may have gone up since I had my Burmester monos with these stands.

"Each Ohio Class XL+² is hand built and because of the different parameters involved can range in price from about $1,000 each to as much as $8,000 each"

Silent Running Audio?s Ohio Class XL+² Equipment Platforms ? Reviews | TONEAudio MAGAZINE
    My guess is slightly less. Probably in the area of $3-3500. (Still less than any air isolation solution and maybe as good or better.) The GAT requires a little smaller base than does the Burmester.

Super Moderator

I should have kept my bases and just had them recalibrated.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I should have kept my bases and just had them recalibrated.
    Yes, that's the beauty of the new Ohio Class bases!

Joe,

I am with Myles on this one. I do not have the SRA Ohio Class bases, though i am told by many they are stupendous. In my case, i use HRS M3 base with 6 HRS nimbus couplers and 3 HRS large DPX (double thickness) damping plates on top plus an Artesania damping plate. I also use 2 EAT tube dampers. Basically an 'isolation sandwich'...and it really improved the solidity of the sound of the GAT (a lot), also stilled the images and providing a much 'stronger signal' in terms of again that solidity.

One man's experience.
    Speaker: Wilson Audio XLF + Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amp: Robert Koda K15EX + Gryphon Mephisto Stereo

Cable: TA Opus (Gen5) + Sablon Audio Prince (Orange)
    Power: 7 Dedicated Lines Furutech + Torus AVR 16 + Burmester 948 + NordostQX4
    Isolation: Under: SRA+HRS+Stillpoints+Auralex Top: HRS+Artesania+Entreq+EAT+90kg Mass
    Ground/Shield: Tripoint Troy Sig & Thor + Entreq Atlantis / Receivus +Everest+Wrap
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex + Mullard
    Headphone Setup: Sennheiser 650 + Arcam rHead + Apogee Groove

Quote Originally Posted by LL21 View Post
    Joe,

I am with Myles on this one. I do not have the SRA Ohio Class bases, though i am told by many they are stupendous. In my case, i use HRS M3 base with 6 HRS nimbus couplers and 3 HRS large DPX (double thickness) damping plates on top plus an Artesania damping plate. I also use 2 EAT tube dampers. Basically an 'isolation sandwich'...and it really improved the solidity of the sound of the GAT (a lot), also stilled the images and providing a much 'stronger signal' in terms of again that solidity.

One man's experience.
    EAT tube dampers? New one on me. Have look those up Lloyd.

Lloyd definitely nailed it. The bases double the unit's dynamics and really drop the noise floor. Less noise = more information. Go figure as the GAT only has two tubes. My theory? Teflon caps are microphonic.

Super Moderator

The EAT dampers are a tight fit but yes, they are worth it.

I was not so smart selling the SRA stands. I was easily able to recoup my funds and jumped only to regret it now. Live and learn.

Thanks guys.

EAT tube dampers? New one on me. Have look those up Lloyd.

Lloyd definitely nailed it. The bases double the unit's dynamics and really drop the noise floor. Less noise = more information. Go figure as the GAT only has two tubes. My theory? Teflon caps are microphonic.
    Last edited by joeinid; December 28, 2014 at 07:51 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Duh, of course. I just forgot because ordered my EAT tubes without the dampers because the rings were incompatible with my Doshi phono section.

Wow...its been a while since i was on this forum and thread! Glad to hear people are enjoying EAT tube dampers!

Isolation: Under: SRA+HRS+Stillpoints+Auralex Top: HRS+Artesania+Entreq+EAT+90kg Mass
    Ground/Shield: Tripoint Troy Sig & Thor + Entreq Atlantis / Receivus +Everest+Wrap

Hi Lloyd!

Anything new in your system?

Hi Lloyd!

Hi Myles, great to hear from you. I will visit here more often...been quiet lately. Yes, since you and i last spoke, i have a few things:

- 2nd hand Burmester 948 Power Conditioner. At the recommendation of a few manufacturers who personally own them...i got the opportunity and am pleased to have done so.
    - Transparent Audio RefMM (MM2) jumpers linking the backside of the Wilson X1s (which currently use a thick copper plate). Adding the jumpers made a big improvement in clarity, particularly bass delineation and keeping pace with details during deep house music. I was pleased to find a fellow X1 owner also tried jumpers and has found similar benefits.

Going forward, i am hoping to work with a manufacturer who owns Alexandrias as his reference on further isolating these speakers from vibration. Stay tuned!

Hi Lloyd!

Oh and i finally got around to your suggestion of Tele 6922s from Upscale...great stuff!!! One was a bit noisy and i am waiting for the replacement. Otherwise, great!

I also find that the KT-120's sound a little less warm than the KT-88's in my Ray Lumley M-100 mono blocks but they have better bass and dynamics. I would be afraid to try the KT-150's in my amps as the transformers would be difficult to replace should something happen and the amps are relatively rare.

I too monitored the temp of the transformers with a heat gun when I first tried them out and found a negligible increase in temperature over the KT-88. However, as they were not designed for KT-120 I think I will stay away from KT-150. You are a braver soul than I.
    Main 2ch/HT:Acoustat 2+2,Axiom EP500,Ray Lumley M-100, Bedini BA-803,Threshold T3,JRDG Consumate Phono, Lenco L75, ZYX Universe cart,Oppo BDP 95(transport), Calyx Femto DAC,Bryston BDP-2,Pioneer F-91 tuner,Studer A807 r2r,Consonance d-Linear15 power filter, DVDO Matrix 4x4,Mitsubishi HC-5 projector, Audience Au24e and LectraLine Xe cables,Cullen Power Distribution Box with upgraded cable
    Bedroom 2ch/HT:Tetra 406, Forte model2pre,Forte model3amp,TeacUD503,Faroudja DV1000,PioneerCLD-97 ld player,Thorens TD-146,PioneerTX-9800,Mitsubishi HC5 projector,Tetra Artet cables

Super Moderator

Hi Albert,

I have not tried the KT-150 in my ARTsa Stereo amp yet. I have to believe there is enough juice available for them to work. It's still $900-1000 to buy a set. I may order a set after the summer for the ARTsa. The KT-150 in my Jolida is outstanding for the money. I expect CJ to update their line sometime but think I'll be out of luck with an official upgrade. It's no big deal really, my CJ gear is amazing already.

NAD C 658 streamer.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

KT-150's in Conrad Johnson amps?