Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Audioshark

Esoteric K-01 vs K-01X

Can anyone explain the differences to me?

Retail on a K-01x is $21,000. K-01's are going for $7800-$9000 on Audiogon. Is there that much of a difference?

From the Esoteric website, it says:

"Four years after the release of the K-01—the world’s leading all-in-one digital player—the new K-01X debuts as a more compact version of Esoteric’s flagship Grandioso model. Utilizing the same type of highly rigid chassis construction as the Grandioso and a similar four-transformer power supply, it integrates the Grandioso P1’s high-precision VRDS-NEO “VMK-3.5-20S” turntable with two independent monaural DAC units derived from the Grandioso D1 design, each configured with a parallel array of 8 individual converters, which are summed to optimize linearity and minimize noise.
    Electronic circuitry has also been further improved with the latest technologies, including a new AK4495S DAC IC, an advanced 35-bit D/A processing algorithm, an HCLD buffer amp, a DSD-compatible USB interface, and a large, low phase noise clock, all ensuring the K-01X achieves the absolute pinnacle of sound quality."
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Esoteric K-01 vs K-01X

The X version can be used as a DSD capable outboard DAC whereas the previous version can't. Other than that there are some internal upgrades but I haven't heard anybody comparing sound of the two head to head.
    Howard

Pass Labs XS 300's, XS Pre | Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference Series 3, Alpha USB Series 2 | Aurender W20SE, ACS10 | Magico S7's with MPOD's, QSub 15 x 2 | Shunyata Denali 2000T x 2 with Sigma HC | Shunyata Everest 8000 w/ Omega XC | MIT Heritage and Oracle Interconnects and speaker cables | Critical Mass Maxxum rack

Audioshark

Thanks Howard.

I'm curious if anyone has heard and compared both.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Thanks Howard.

I'm curious if anyone has heard and compared both.
    I haven't seen anything written about the sound online or in print. I believe that the first wave of X version units only arrived in the states recently so there's probably not many of them around and fewer that are actually broken in. Might be some Japanese press on it that I'm not aware of.
    Howard

Pass Labs XS 300's, XS Pre | Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference Series 3, Alpha USB Series 2 | Aurender W20SE, ACS10 | Magico S7's with MPOD's, QSub 15 x 2 | Shunyata Denali 2000T x 2 with Sigma HC | Shunyata Everest 8000 w/ Omega XC | MIT Heritage and Oracle Interconnects and speaker cables | Critical Mass Maxxum rack

Can anyone explain the differences to me?

Retail on a K-01x is $21,000. K-01's are going for $7800-$9000 on Audiogon. Is there that much of a difference?

From the Esoteric website, it says:

"Four years after the release of the K-01—the world’s leading all-in-one digital player—the new K-01X debuts as a more compact version of Esoteric’s flagship Grandioso model. Utilizing the same type of highly rigid chassis construction as the Grandioso and a similar four-transformer power supply, it integrates the Grandioso P1’s high-precision VRDS-NEO “VMK-3.5-20S” turntable with two independent monaural DAC units derived from the Grandioso D1 design, each configured with a parallel array of 8 individual converters, which are summed to optimize linearity and minimize noise.
    Electronic circuitry has also been further improved with the latest technologies, including a new AK4495S DAC IC, an advanced 35-bit D/A processing algorithm, an HCLD buffer amp, a DSD-compatible USB interface, and a large, low phase noise clock, all ensuring the K-01X achieves the absolute pinnacle of sound quality."

Hi Mike,

I think the second paragraph highlights the key differences, mainly DSD capability, 384khz PCM and 35 bit processing vs. 32 bit on the K-01. I read some initial feedback that said the K-01X sounded slightly better than the K-01, although the unit wasn't fully broken in yet.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Owned and have current one, k01 is a steal, as good as it gets.

Detail, bass, highs are just as good, differences in room, setup probably make a bigger difference.

I just wanted the latest.

Yes, new dacs and output stage do contribute to smoother and more natural sound. If you never heard, not to mention compared side to side, you wouldnt probably notice.

I used the same filter settings as before, hmmm good and couldnt recall that big of a difference.

The most and very significant difference is the new 8x filter, previously up to 4x on the old series. A world o difference in naturalness, going back to 4x is uacceptable.

I would consider a new k03x over a used k01 for this very reason.

A cooparision of the k03x and old k01 would be more interestig.

The k03x should represent a bargain in terms of overall improvements and features.

Owned and have current one, k01 is a steal, as good as it gets.

Detail, bass, highs are just as good, differences in room, setup probably make a bigger difference.

I just wanted the latest.

Yes, new dacs and output stage do contribute to smoother and more natural sound. If you never heard, not to mention compared side to side, you wouldnt probably notice.

I used the same filter settings as before, hmmm good and couldnt recall that big of a difference.

The most and very significant difference is the new 8x filter, previously up to 4x on the old series. A world o difference in naturalness, going back to 4x is uacceptable.

I would consider a new k03x over a used k01 for this very reason.

A comparision of the k03x and old k01 would be more interestig.

The k03x should represent a bargain in terms of overall improvements and features.

All,
    just wanted to share my experience here. My new K-01X arrived at my place 12 days ago. I had previously a K-03. I also own a G-02 (Esoteric external 10 MHz clock). It took more than 1 week to my K-01X to sound almost correctly. It's interesting to note that I did already switch to 3 different filter settings to get the best possible sound. I know it will take my unit more a few weeks more to deliver the amazing sound experience I know it can deliver.
    Source: Esoteric K-01X + G-02 - CEC TL1N VM - Kuzma Turntable - MacBook Pro SSD Retina
    DAC: Esoteric K-01X - Van Medevoort DA468
    Pre: Pre PP-XLR
    Amp: Van Medevoort PA462
    Spk: Duevel Bela Luna
    Cables: Furutech PowerFlux - Furutech LineFlux - Furutech DigiFlux - Actinote Sonata HP Cables - Actinora Aria Power cables
    Misc: Magic Boards (granit) - Actinote Aria Power Stand

Laurent, what are your impressions of the K-01X with the G-02? I have a K-01X on order and am considering a Stanford Research Systems 10Mhz master clock. From web surfing I gather that the G-01 has a SRS core.

I just joined this forum and apologize for the sparseness of my profile. How does one attach an equipment list to the message footer?

Quote Originally Posted by David Garretson View Post
    Laurent, what are your impressions of the K-01X with the G-02? I have a K-01X on order and am considering a Stanford Research Systems 10Mhz master clock. From web surfing I gather that the G-01 has a SRS core.

I just joined this forum and apologize for the sparseness of my profile. How does one attach an equipment list to the message footer?

Click on settings top right, then on left you will see edit signature....

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post

Click on settings top right, then on left you will see edit signature....
    You make me keep click on your Avatar ....sigh....
    Paul

Welcome Laurent. I am curious as to what kind of music you typically listen to through the Duevel speakers. I'm intrigued by them but have never been able to audition them. Thanks.

John
    John Tverdik

Hello John,

well, I realy love the ambiance of a concert, classical or jazz. The Duevels sound "almost" like a live performance. I love classical music and I have in my place tons of great CD / SACD recordings. But I also like electro / pop music. When I'm writing these lines, I'm actually listening to Polyamour from Clara Moto (electro, issued in 2012). My K-01X, coupled with a G-02 sounds great today. I have to say that I’m testing a new power cable from Furutech on the 01X: the Nano Flux. I don’t know if Furutech will finally decide to produce more than 200 units of this cable or if it will inaugurate a brand new line of power cables but trust me, it sounds really good.

I’m also using my K-01X as well as my DA468 (standalone dac) to listen to some HD files I’ve downloaded form Qubuz. But I must confess that I like to take a CD/SACD in my hand and put it on my player. That’s a sensation I’m not ready to get rid of.

The Duevel are more interesting with acoustical / live music than with electronic drums / synthesizers and very deep basses. This is probably due to their omni directional setting.
    Before the Duevel, just for you to know, I owned LeedH E speakers. But in the high medium as well as in the bass registers, they suffer a lack of presence.
    Source: Esoteric K-01X + G-02 - CEC TL1N VM - Kuzma Turntable - MacBook Pro SSD Retina
    Cables: Furutech PowerFlux - Furutech LineFlux - Furutech DigiFlux - Actinote Sonata HP Cables - Actinora Aria Power cables

Hi Laurent,

What frequence is the G02 feeding you k01x, the 10mhz or 22mhz?

The 22mhz gives requires the clock input of the k01x to be set at masterclk. Wonder if you found this to be the best setting.

Hello,

this is a very good question. I spent a lot of time reading and reading again the owner's manual of both the K-01X and the G-02. Unfortunately, I must confess that I haven't found any clear recommendation about the ideal clock settings between the player and the G-02.

I'm using the 10MHz. Do you think the 22 would be better?

Laurent MAURY

10m is still under the wordclock selection in the k01x menu. 22m will require selecting mclk, which is masterclock. Interestingly, it looks that may be better, masterclock over wordclock.

Interested in your opion, as i myself have a 10m clock, but cant use masterclock option as i dont have 22m to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by justubes View Post
    10m is still under the wordclock selection in the k01x menu. 22m will require selecting mclk, which is masterclock. Interestingly, it looks that may be better, masterclock over wordclock.

Interested in your opion, as i myself have a 10m clock, but cant use masterclock option as i dont have 22m to play with.
    Depending on who's talking in the Audio and Pro communities, the terms master clock and word clock are sometimes used interchangeably. Nonetheless, the 10Mhz frequency in rubidium clocks seems always to be used as a "master" or "reference" for other clocks. Could it be used otherwise? I suppose Esoteric classifying it as a word clock on the K-01 menu is unrelated.

It's also puzzling that there are discrepancies in the G01 and K01 specs regarding matching impedances between these units. One says 75 ohms and the other says 50.

Audioshark

Esoteric K-01 vs K-01X

Welcome to Audioshark David!
    The K-01x is on my radar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Mike! I can't seem to get my system list entered within the Signature section. I filled in the box and hit the Save Signature button, but a subsequent return to the Edit Signature box always finds a blank box. Anyway, the system is:

Digital: Esoteric K-01X; battery-powered dual-mono Twisted Pear Buffalo IIISE DAC with Audio Consulting Silver Rock transformer output: battery-power Sony SCD-1 transport. Analog: Kenwood L07D; Technics SP-10 MkII; modified Trans-Fi Terminator; Micro Seiki MA-505; Technics EPA-100; Ortofon MC2000; AT ART7; Grace F9 w/Soundsmith OCL; Stanton 981LZS; Denon DL-S1; Precept PC550ML; Sonus Blue/Gold; Preamps: modified AtmaSphere MP-1 MkII.2; Pass Labs XP-25; modified ARC PH-2. Amps: Pass XA-160.8, modified BAT VK-75SE. Speakers: modified Merlin VSM-MX with ClarityCap MR & Duelund Res & wire, custom BBAM; modified Velodyne DD-15. Power: Signal balanced DU-5; Wires: speaker/custom 1.5 lbs. silver foil; IC/ Connex-DH Labs BL-Ag; AC/ Furutech Alpha-3. Tweaks: Star Sound SP-1 & Apprentice platforms, Stillpoints Ultra 5, Ultra SS & Minis; Schumann resonators.

Audioshark

Thanks, Mike! I can't seem to get my system list entered within the Signature section. I filled in the box and hit the Save Signature button, but a subsequent return to the Edit Signature box always finds a blank box. Anyway, the system is:

Digital: Esoteric K-01X; battery-powered dual-mono Twisted Pear Buffalo IIISE DAC with Audio Consulting Silver Rock transformer output: battery-power Sony SCD-1 transport. Analog: Kenwood L07D; Technics SP-10 MkII; modified Trans-Fi Terminator; Micro Seiki MA-505; Technics EPA-100; Ortofon MC2000; AT ART7; Grace F9 w/Soundsmith OCL; Stanton 981LZS; Denon DL-S1; Precept PC550ML; Sonus Blue/Gold; Preamps: modified AtmaSphere MP-1 MkII.2; Pass Labs XP-25; modified ARC PH-2. Amps: Pass XA-160.8, modified BAT VK-75SE. Speakers: modified Merlin VSM-MX with ClarityCap MR & Duelund Res & wire, custom BBAM; modified Velodyne DD-15. Power: Signal balanced DU-5; Wires: speaker/custom 1.5 lbs. silver foil; IC/ Connex-DH Labs BL-Ag; AC/ Furutech Alpha-3. Tweaks: Star Sound SP-1 & Apprentice platforms, Stillpoints Ultra 5, Ultra SS & Minis; Schumann resonators.
    OK, let me see what I can do from my end.

Audioshark

Try it now.

Okay. Let's see:

Audioshark

Looks good from here! Hopefully you can now edit/save it the way you want.

Thanks. I just tried to add back the bold face and am unsuccessful. But I think I see the problem-- it's over the 500 character max. So if you can't raise the max, then next time I'll trim it down.

Audioshark

Thanks. I just tried to add back the bold face and am unsuccessful. But I think I see the problem-- it's over the 500 character max. So if you can't raise the max, then next time I'll trim it down.
    Yes. That's it.

Depending on who's talking in the Audio and Pro communities, the terms master clock and word clock are sometimes used interchangeably. Nonetheless, the 10Mhz frequency in rubidium clocks seems always to be used as a "master" or "reference" for other clocks. Could it be used otherwise? I suppose Esoteric classifying it as a word clock on the K-01 menu is unrelated.
    So what is the definitive description of word and master clocks.

I understand that master replaces the clocking unit and word will sync or slave the units clock to the reference.

The fact is that the esoteric has an internal oscillator running at 22.5792 Mhz. As such, i see it that a master will replace the clock directly i.e at 22.5792 mhz and any other frequencies accepted as word clock.

So presumably, it should be the mist direct and best result that can be obtained.

Audioshark

I've been told the SRS PERF-10 clock (at a fraction of the cost of the Esoteric clock) is just as good (and the same thing).

Thoughts?

I've been told the SRS PERF-10 clock (at a fraction of the cost of the Esoteric clock) is just as good (and the same thing).

Thoughts?
    I have to be honest, Mike. This thing with the clock confuses the heck out of me. What I still don't understand is if you get the SRS PERF-10 clock, does it generate all the necessary frequencies (44, 88, 176, 48, 96, 192 kHz) for high res. listening or do you need another frequency generator to go with it? The G-01 and G-02 seem to contain this all in one box.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Justubes, as Mike suggests, the G-01 uses a Stanford Research Systems PRS-10 10 Mhz rubidium core as the reference or master clock. I don't know how the 22.5792 Mhz frequency is derived in this application, but it is hard to believe that the 22.5792 source would not be timed by the 10 Mhz rubidium core. A rubidium clock is more accurate than any standalone 22.5792 Mhz conventional crystal. Typically when speaking of a Word Clock, the implication is of some multiple of 44.1kHz and 48kHz. I know of no other instance in which a 10 Mhz rubidium clock has been called a word clock. So there is still a mystery here to be cleared up.

The SRS-PRS10 core can be had as finished goods inside the SRS PERF-10(75 ohm BNC outputs) or the SRS FS725(50 ohm BNC outputs). I'm unsure which impedance is more appropriate to match an Esoteric CDP, as some Esoteric literature broadly specifies 50-75 ohms.

Both clocks include an integrated low noise SMPS. The PERF-10 has an optional port for an external 12V/5A linear power supply. I'm thinking that to approach G-01 performance might require a linear PS on the high order of quality of Paul Hynes or HD Plex. I have one currently on order from Paul for this purpose. For the FS725 it would be a relatively simple job to get inside the enclosure and install a power port to an external supply. In that event the PS would need to be 24Vdc/3A.

The SRS alternative doesn't have all the features of the G0-1, but its 10MHz output
    might be sufficient for K-01X.

Audioshark

Thanks David. Brilliant explanation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All,

thanks to this forum and to your advices, I tested the 22,2Mhz configuration between the K-01X and the G-02. Guys, don't hesitate anymore: move to the "whatever"clock they name the 22,2 setting! It's instantly gave us (my wife and me) a feeling of "precision" and speed.
    Many thanks for your comments.
    Lo

Justubes, as Mike suggests, the G-01 uses a Stanford Research Systems PRS-10 10 Mhz rubidium core as the reference or master clock. I don't know how the 22.5792 Mhz frequency is derived in this application, but it is hard to believe that the 22.5792 source would not be timed by the 10 Mhz rubidium core. A rubidium clock is more accurate than any standalone 22.5792 Mhz conventional crystal. Typically when speaking of a Word Clock, the implication is of some multiple of 44.1kHz and 48kHz. I know of no other instance in which a 10 Mhz rubidium clock has been called a word clock. So there is still a mystery here to be cleared up.

The SRS-PRS10 core can be had as finished goods inside the SRS PERF-10(75 ohm BNC outputs) or the SRS FS725(50 ohm BNC outputs). I'm unsure which impedance is more appropriate to match an Esoteric CDP, as some Esoteric literature broadly specifies 50-75 ohms.

Both clocks include an integrated low noise SMPS. The PERF-10 has an optional port for an external 12V/5A linear power supply. I'm thinking that to approach G-01 performance might require a linear PS on the high order of quality of Paul Hynes or HD Plex. I have one currently on order from Paul for this purpose. For the FS725 it would be a relatively simple job to get inside the enclosure and install a power port to an external supply. In that event the PS would need to be 24Vdc/3A.

The SRS alternative doesn't have all the features of the G0-1, but its 10MHz output
    might be sufficient for K-01X.

I would go with the optional external LPS, I just ordered a UpTone JS-2 LPS for my CAPS server.
    George
    -----------------------

Aurender ACS10 Music Server > Holo Audio May KTE R2R Ladder DAC > Pass Labs XP-30 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Renaissance ELS 15A Speakers