Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

flat vs round interconnect, cables, speaker wire.

Are there any macro- physical advantages of round vs flat wires in terms of being able to lay them out , manipulate them etc?
    Vintage Bedroom Gear: Dual CS 5000, McIntosh C29, McIntosh MC300, MR78 Sonus Faber Concertino

Listening Room Gear McIntosh MT10, McIntosh c2300, McIntosh MC275MKVI Mono'd, Sonus Faber Elipsa SE

Audioshark

Re: flat vs round interconnect, cables, speaker wire.

Macro? No. Micro? Maybe. Its like anything with cables - it opens a whole can of worms. I believe the argument with flat is that they are able to separate individual strands of copper (rather than twisting them together like you typically find with "round" cables)....but others with more experience can hopefully shed some light here.

My personal opinions are:

1. Speaker cables with silver is bad - unless you're using dull gear and dull experience and need to add some brightness to your system. You can get away with silver in PC. I'm unsure about silver in IC's. No desire to try it.
    2. Buy the best single strand OCC copper you can afford. Flat or round.
    3. I'm generally not a fan of "little boxes" on cables....although, I did hear the MIT cables and was impressed....but the session wasn't long enough to make a clear determination.

I'm about to try some AcousticZen speaker cables (will purchase from Jeff). Looking forward to comparing those to my existing WW cables. Spec wise, the AcousticZen looks superior.

Mike
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Don't get me started !! Use coat hangers !!! LOL ...just kidding...

Hey bill, why don't you try my DIY cable deal ? For a few reasons..they do work awesome, look awesome and I know you are a DIY guy (this wont hurt your arm)...the final result takes you down to about 10ga ..for a refresher..look here (and by the way...use a cordless drill to twist the cables - one that's reversible so you can do the two directions)

Low-Inductance DIY Braided Hi-Fi Speaker Cables

Warning, these will make a cable about 3/4" across with the sleeve but way cool and sound incredible...
    MAIN RIG: Equipment: Marantz SR4023 as Pre / Velleman K4040 Tube Power Amp / Yamaha M65 Power Amp / Polk Monitor 70's with Polk Sub / ClearAudio Concept table with Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Stage and ClearAudio Concept MC cart /Pioneer PL500 TT with AT440MLa

Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Quote Originally Posted by ohbythebay View Post

Hey bill, why don't you try my DIY cable deal ? For a few reasons..they do work awesome, look awesome and I know you are a DIY guy (this wont hurt your arm)...the final result takes you down to about 10ga ..for a refresher..look here (and by the way...use a cordless drill to twist the cables - one that's reversible so you can do the two directions)

Warning, these will make a cable about 3/4" across with the sleeve but way cool and sound incredible...
    There are a slew of people who have tried the silver coated copper (eclipse 6 silver) who claim it adds some brightness. If people follow me on this forum they know I am always turning up the treble a little to bring out the high notes.
    Vintage Bedroom Gear: Dual CS 5000, McIntosh C29, McIntosh MC300, MR78 Sonus Faber Concertino

Listening Room Gear McIntosh MT10, McIntosh c2300, McIntosh MC275MKVI Mono'd, Sonus Faber Elipsa SE

Audioshark

You're right Bill. It just might really be to your liking. If I had some, I would send them to you to try.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

You'll get in treble if you keep doing that...LOL

Really curious about your lack of brightness..I wonder if its a preference more than most or you are lacking high detail for some reason...could be tube or cart related also

Mike - correct me if I am wrong, but brighter cables would not compensate to the degree where one is turning up the treble, yes ? What I mean is there should not be THAT much brightness from the cables, true ?
    MAIN RIG: Equipment: Marantz SR4023 as Pre / Velleman K4040 Tube Power Amp / Yamaha M65 Power Amp / Polk Monitor 70's with Polk Sub / ClearAudio Concept table with Musical Surroundings Phonomena II Phono Stage and ClearAudio Concept MC cart /Pioneer PL500 TT with AT440MLa

Audioshark

You'll get in treble if you keep doing that...LOL

Really curious about your lack of brightness..I wonder if its a preference more than most or you are lacking high detail for some reason...could be tube or cart related also

Mike - correct me if I am wrong, but brighter cables would not compensate to the degree where one is turning up the treble, yes ? What I mean is there should not be THAT much brightness from the cables, true ?
    For me it was quite bright. About 3 notches up on the old treble. Maybe more.

Thanks Mike that was kind of you. The real question is : Does copper attenuate some of the current from amp to speaker? The concept is that silver allows a transfer of current without the same resistance of copper.

Where does the wood come from

Trees...why ? LOL

I didn't do the wood on mine (kinda silly actually) and just shrink tubed the ends...

Remember these...VERY low inductance and noticeably different...without high cost... 12 ft lengths

My preference has always been flat for SC's, simply because of the full length equal spacing of conductors.
    Its a whole nother ball game for IC's.
    Last edited by Twisted; May 8, 2013 at 06:53 PM.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

flat vs round interconnect, cables, speaker wire.