Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Octave HP 700 -the new tube pre-amp benchmark?

I have just read a review of this amp in Audio magazine and I am very impressed by what I read and see. A new dimension of silence, depth and clarity. And very natural. Nothing is painted more beautiful as it is.
    Anybody had a listen to this baby yet?

Hans

Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3 /alternatively JM Lab Point Source Aria 5 (self modified)/ 2x SVS 3000 SB, Audionet AMP (2x), dCS Bartók used as streamer / DAC / preamp, Pro-Ject RPM 9 with Speedbox S and Orthofon MC Vivo Blue, KEF LS50 Nocturne / Sunfire Atmos(kitchen). Patio: Bluesound Node 2i and Focal CMS50.
    RoonServer on Nucleus.

Re: Octave HP 700 -the new tube pre-amp benchmark?

Here is the ranking from Audio:
    Hans

Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3 /alternatively JM Lab Point Source Aria 5 (self modified)/ 2x SVS 3000 SB, Audionet AMP (2x), dCS Bartók used as streamer / DAC / preamp, Pro-Ject RPM 9 with Speedbox S and Orthofon MC Vivo Blue, KEF LS50 Nocturne / Sunfire Atmos(kitchen). Patio: Bluesound Node 2i and Focal CMS50.
    RoonServer on Nucleus.

Quote Originally Posted by Glareskin View Post
    Here is the ranking from Audio:
    OK, what does it say.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    OK, what does it say.
    Oh yes I forgot that not everybody speaks German It just said that the ranking is based on sound quality only with no consideration for build-quality or price.

What is the value of a list? Of course you'll have to listen for yourself. However Audio is one of the respected German magazines and even if it is not absolute it says that the Octave is a darn good pre-amp. And the price is right so I am very interested. I hope the amp makes it to the US as I would like to have your impression.
    Hans

RoonServer on Nucleus.

Interesting...i have read great things about Octave. Question - the tubes inside...are they 6922s? And is it a bit of a pain to have to retube by unscrewing the entire top off to get inside? (I ask because when i re-tube my CJ GAT...or if a tube gets noisy and i need to take it out, tap it and re-seat it...its easy since the tubes are in their own sockets in tube guards outside the unit.
    Speaker: Wilson Audio XLF + Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amp: Robert Koda K15EX + Gryphon Mephisto Stereo

Cable: TA Opus (Gen5) + Sablon Audio Prince (Orange)
    Power: 7 Dedicated Lines Furutech + Torus AVR 16 + Burmester 948 + NordostQX4
    Isolation: Under: SRA+HRS+Stillpoints+Auralex Top: HRS+Artesania+Entreq+EAT+90kg Mass
    Ground/Shield: Tripoint Troy Sig & Thor + Entreq Atlantis / Receivus +Everest+Wrap
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex + Mullard
    Headphone Setup: Sennheiser 650 + Arcam rHead + Apogee Groove

Quote Originally Posted by LL21 View Post
    Interesting...i have read great things about Octave. Question - the tubes inside...are they 6922s? And is it a bit of a pain to have to retube by unscrewing the entire top off to get inside? (I ask because when i re-tube my CJ GAT...or if a tube gets noisy and i need to take it out, tap it and re-seat it...its easy since the tubes are in their own sockets in tube guards outside the unit.
    Lloyd-Are you getting lazy as the years advance?

Like Lloyd, Joe , Myles and quite a few others, listen to the cj GAT before declaring best tube pre amp.
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

As I can see in the article you just need to unscrew the lid (4 screws).

According to the article the output entodes are Mullard EF184

And according to the designer the Siemens D3A also sound good

The output tubes are driven by the ECC-82 double triode from Tung-Sol
    Hans

RoonServer on Nucleus.

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    Like Lloyd, Joe , Myles and quite a few others, listen to the cj GAT before declaring best tube pre amp.
    I am sure the guys from Audio have done that. But have you listened to the Octave that you can make this statement?
    Hans

RoonServer on Nucleus.

I am sure the guys from Audio have done that. But have you listened to the Octave that you can make this statement?
    No they haven't

What statement?

You are the one making grand statements.
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Lloyd-Are you getting lazy as the years advance?
    Always lazy/hate re-tubing!!! Actually, i have managed to avoid too much of that stuff, other than the CJ which seems to eat tubes. On that one, i hate having to undo, redo, tap-tap, put back in...tube rush, take out...tap-tap. I have managed to find tubes that so far go for about 12-18 months before noise sets in...so thats quite good actually.
    Speaker: Wilson Audio XLF + Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amp: Robert Koda K15EX + Gryphon Mephisto Stereo

Cable: TA Opus (Gen5) + Sablon Audio Prince (Orange)
    Power: 7 Dedicated Lines Furutech + Torus AVR 16 + Burmester 948 + NordostQX4
    Isolation: Under: SRA+HRS+Stillpoints+Auralex Top: HRS+Artesania+Entreq+EAT+90kg Mass
    Ground/Shield: Tripoint Troy Sig & Thor + Entreq Atlantis / Receivus +Everest+Wrap
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex + Mullard
    Headphone Setup: Sennheiser 650 + Arcam rHead + Apogee Groove

Why would you assume they havent? These guys in the Trade can get access to most anything that strikes their fancy.

iI now see Why certain posters like Elberoth MUST be taken seriously in their gear comments. Not that one must agree, but source considered, you can't brush his comments aside as whimsical opinion.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

No they haven't
    Are you in insider with Audio? This magazine has been around for a long time so the chances are that they have heard the CJ.

What statement?
    That one should listen to the CJ first before declaring another amp the best pre-amp. I think that is a valid statement but then again the other way around is as correct. So my question is still open...

You are the one making grand statements.
    Maybe you want to point out the grand statements? As I read back I read only that I have stated to be interested if anybody has listened to the Octave amp as I appreciated the article.
    Hans

RoonServer on Nucleus.

Are you in insider with Audio? This magazine has been around for a long time so the chances are that they have heard the CJ.

That one should listen to the CJ first before declaring another amp the best pre-amp. I think that is a valid statement but then again the other way around is as correct. So my question is still open...

Maybe you want to point out the grand statements? As I read back I read only that I have stated to be interested if anybody has listened to the Octave amp as I appreciated the article.
    Every magazine has access to any HiFi gear.

I have never read a review of the cj GAT from Audio. Have you?

Your grand statement is the thread title - the new tube pre amp benchmark?
    Or did you forget that?

All I said was before making statements like that, have a listen to the cj GAT

Any more questions or anything you would like me to clarify?.

XV, doesnt the question mark preclude it from being a statement?
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    No. It is an opinion/statement asking for an response.

I think you know that as well.

Every magazine has access to any HiFi gear.
    I have never read a review of the cj GAT from Audio. Have you?
    Nope. But that does it mean they didn't hear it?

Your grand statement is the thread title - the new tube pre amp benchmark?
    Or did you forget that?
    The question mark says it all. I wondered if it might be the new benchmark. In fact I ask if anyone here has listened already. No I did not forget asking that question.

And I am not the only one understanding: Norman did.
    Any more questions or anything you would like me to clarify?.
    Yes. I realize that you have a couple of Conrad Johnson amps as it is listed in your signature. And I am pretty sure they are sounding great. But does that make you feel offended if someone raises a question about another amp? Aren't you just interested in just learning about new gear all the time?
    Let me clarify: I do.
    Hans

RoonServer on Nucleus.

It is not. And that is a statement.
    Hans

RoonServer on Nucleus.

Nope. But that does it mean they didn't hear it?

The question mark says it all. I wondered if it might be the new benchmark. In fact I ask if anyone here has listened already. No I did not forget asking that question.

And I am not the only one understanding: Norman did.

Yes. I realize that you have a couple of Conrad Johnson amps as it is listed in your signature. And I am pretty sure they are sounding great. But does that make you feel offended if someone raises a question about another amp? Aren't you just interested in just learning about new gear all the time?
    Let me clarify: I do.
    Why would I be offended. I purely said to have a listen to the GAT before declaring statements like benchmark.

Always interested in new HiFi. The two phono stages in the HP 700 is of interest to me.

Cheers

I think you know that as well.

Sorry, I dont know that. In strict English it cant be a statement. I understand poetic licence, but knowing Hans, he is not that kind of a guy. There is a Dutch/English translation joke floating around in the internet. The English fellow makes a statement like .."that's an interesting idea" and the Dutch guy interprets it as , "he likes my train of thought", while the real meaning is: "what a dumb idea". Long and short, the Dutch shoot straight and knowing that and knowing Hans, he means exactly what he says.
    NORMAN

Sorry, I dont know that. In strict English it cant be a statement. I understand poetic licence, but knowing Hans, he is not that kind of a guy. There is a Dutch/English translation joke floating around in the internet. The English fellow makes a statement like .."that's an interesting idea" and the Dutch guy interprets it as , "he likes my train of thought", while the real meaning is: "what a dumb idea". Long and short, the Dutch shoot straight and knowing that and knowing Hans, he means exactly what he says.
    LOL that is a great example! And 100% correct. Thanks for the excellent clarification Norman! I realize I need to be more in the Anglo-American way of expressing myself.
    Hans

RoonServer on Nucleus.

"The Dutch are too honest to be polite and the British are too polite to be honest". There's a lot of truth in that; Jayne and Gerald know all about it! The Translation Guide below points out a few of the differences.
    ANGLO-DUTCH TRANSLATION GUIDE
    WHAT THE BRITISH SAY WHAT THE BRITISH MEAN WHAT THE DUTCH THINK THE BRITISH MEAN
    By the way, … What I really want to talk about … This is not important.
    Could we consider some other options? I think your idea stinks. He has not yet made a decision.
    I almost agree. I don’t agree at all. He almost agrees.
    I hear what you say. I disagree and do not want to discuss it any further. He accepts my point of view.
    I was a bit disappointed … I went ballistic … It doesn’t matter.
    I would suggest … This an order. I am welcome to do it, if I agree.
    I’ll bear it in mind. I am not going to do anything about it. He’ll probably do it.
    I’m sure it’s my fault. It is your fault, bloody fool! It’s his fault.
    It is a pity. I am angry. It doesn’t really matter.
    Perhaps you’d like to think about … Do it. He wants me to think about it.
    Please think about this some more. This idea stinks: don’t do it! He thinks this idea has potential.
    Quite good. A bit disappointing. Quite good.
    That is an original point of view. You need a good doctor. He likes my mind.
    That’s not bad. That’s good or very good. It’s poor or mediocre.
    Very interesting. I don’t believe you. / I don’t agree. He is impressed
    With the greatest respect … I think you are wrong (or a fool) … He is listening to me.
    You must come for dinner sometime. Goodbye. He’s going to ask me over for a meal.
    You’ll get there eventually. You’ve got a snowball-in-hell’s chance, mate. He is encouraging me to go on.

NORMAN

NORMAN

That is hilarious Norman!
    Hans

RoonServer on Nucleus.

Yes Hans…quite a hit at work. LoL
    NORMAN

I'll play, only to stop an incessancy of derailments & personal diatribes.I am interested in a very good preamp with an exceptional phono stage that will better my Soulution 520, as I consider the preamp the most important component in the chain, you have my interest with the Octave, I'll keep it on the radar.Will you get to listen to one in your system?

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    I'll play, only to stop an incessancy of derailments & personal diatribes.I am interested in a very good preamp with an exceptional phono stage that will better my Soulution 520, as I consider the preamp the most important component in the chain, you have my interest with the Octave, I'll keep it on the radar.Will you get to listen to one in your system?
    I am not sure yet. Actually I am quite happy with my sound since I have upgraded my incoming power. But it looks so attractive... I think I will first listen to the HP700 at a dealer. What I really liked in the review is that they said that all to top amps are very revealing. However listening to the Octave is like lifting the last curtain. You see that is the kind of language that I love!
    Last edited by Glareskin; November 24, 2014 at 07:38 AM. Reason: typos
    Hans

RoonServer on Nucleus.

Did I read correctly that this preamp uses EF184s?

That tube is not in production as far as I am able to tell. Do they supply tubes with it?

Quote Originally Posted by atmasphere View Post
    Did I read correctly that this preamp uses EF184s?

That tube is not in production as far as I am able to tell. Do they supply tubes with it?
    You can buy 100 here from Brazil (Phillips) for about $300!!!

100 x tube EF184 - 6EJ7 PHILIPS / HICKOK 539C 100 buck amplifier | eBay
    NORMAN

Hans

RoonServer on Nucleus.

Super Moderator

Looks like a great preamp.

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Hans, the picture does not work...
    NORMAN

Super Moderator

Hans, the picture does not work...
    Attachment 8891

HP700_top.jpg
    Last edited by joeinid; December 13, 2014 at 07:18 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I am still very interested. Soundstage visited this 15 people company in the black forest in may this year. You can see they were already assembling the HP 700
    SoundStage! Global | SoundStageGlobal.com | Octave Audio - May 12, 2014
    Hans

RoonServer on Nucleus.

NORMAN

Thanks Norman. That Acoustic Arts tube pre-amp is looking fantastic too!
    Hans

RoonServer on Nucleus.

More pictures of the acoustic arts tube pre-amp. This thread is changing to a thread about new and awesome European made tube pre-amps

Hans

RoonServer on Nucleus.

VERY pretty uber amp!
    NORMAN

A HP 700 review from HiFilive

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post

A HP 700 review from HiFilive
    Thanks for posting. It is always difficult to judge reviews but I haven't found a negative note yet.

While searching for more confirmation about this amp I saw that Stereophile reported the HP700 was playing the Dynaudio Evidence (not a speaker that is appealing to me) at the California Audio Show this summer.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Hans

RoonServer on Nucleus.

This one's made in 'Merica.
    Attached Images Attached Images

[QUOTE=Glareskin;106595]Thanks for posting. It is always difficult to judge reviews but I haven't found a negative note yet.

While searching for more confirmation about this amp I saw that Stereophile reported the HP700 was playing the Dynaudio Evidence (not a speaker that is appealing to me) at the California Audio Show this summer.

I remember being in that room. It was nice but no goosebumps or anything in that nature. Maybe I'm just not a Dynaudio person.

Do you believe everything you read? I have read glowing reports of the Bose 901 series speakers.

I BELIEVE what you wrote. :-)
    NORMAN

[QUOTE=kzhtoo;111841]

I remember being in that room. It was nice but no goosebumps or anything in that nature. Maybe I'm just not a Dynaudio person.
    I am also no fan of the Dynaudio sound. I don't think it matters which amps are driving them, the character remains the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringreen View Post
    Do you believe everything you read? I have read glowing reports of the Bose 901 series speakers.
    I don't believe everything I read. And I never read articles where the Bose 901 is a good speaker....
    Hans

RoonServer on Nucleus.

After people thought I was crazy writing about Octave as a potential reference or benchmark it is nice to learn that due to the Axpona 2015 in O'Hare both Peter Breuninger and Myles Astor have genuine interest in exploring more about Octave>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrmbTDbvHPA
    Hans

RoonServer on Nucleus.

I have just read a review of this amp in Audio magazine and I am very impressed by what I read and see. A new dimension of silence, depth and clarity. And very natural. Nothing is painted more beautiful as it is.
    Anybody had a listen to this baby yet?

I've heard it, and I bought it today, after an extended audition at home.
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

Always lazy/hate re-tubing!!! Actually, i have managed to avoid too much of that stuff, other than the CJ which seems to eat tubes. On that one, i hate having to undo, redo, tap-tap, put back in...tube rush, take out...tap-tap. I have managed to find tubes that so far go for about 12-18 months before noise sets in...so thats quite good actually.
    Shouldn't pre amp tubes last a lot long than that? I'd expect power amp tubes to last for at least 2 or 3 years. Pre amp tubes should last almost indefinitely.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Octave HP 700 -the new tube pre-amp benchmark?